Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly, as the series goes on, it only reinforces that its target is children, and in fact seems to think less and less of said target every time. What was already a really easy game became even easier and each gen feels more of a need to explain really obvious things, to the point that I'm pretty sure by next gen everything up to and including the first Gym will be a tutorial because children are too dumb to understand the obvious apparently. And everyone will have two Pokemon at most, wouldn't want to make this too hard.

I think its less that the games are getting easier and more that you are an adult now and not a 6 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

Which was exactly what I was saying

and I'm saying that there's no reason for them to do it

you're gonna buy the game anyway, but the people that actually need the tutorial are who pokemon is made for

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

are people really complaining about a two minute max tutorial in the 50+ hour games that are pokemon

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Brother Entropy posted:

are people really complaining about a two minute max tutorial in the 50+ hour games that are pokemon

They sure are!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't think i have played a pokemon game for that long except for Blue/Red/Yellow, as i was 6 back then and could put 100 hours into a game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
altho drat i must have been really into pokemon back then cause there is nowhere near even like, 30 hours of content in the first generation

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't give a rats rear end about tutorials, I just want to go more than six steps without running into one of my eight shoehorned NPC best friends

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dienes posted:

I think its less that the games are getting easier and more that you are an adult now and not a 6 year old.

I didn't play gen 4 until I was... I wanna say 20? So I've played 4, 5, and 6 as an adult and there's no drat way they're not getting easier. People complained about getting lost in Sinnoh. Fair complaint, so since then the traveling has mostly been one-directional. Whatever, not my cup of tea but no big deal. Gameplay-wise, 5 was easier than 4 but mostly due to quality of life improvements like unlimited TMs. Like hell I'd ever complain about that. But I could play either of the gen 6 games with my brain turned off. I'd love a big dirty postgame where the assumption is if you've got this far, you clearly understand how Pokemon works, and now the NPCs have more than a couple brain cells to rub together.

The best postgame was when you had to track down all of Ghetsis' buddies for Looker. I'd love to see something like that again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

part of gen 6 being easier is the exp share. the game kind of expects you to have it on, but it doesn't compensate for it nearly enough unless you're swapping out a whole lot. the world is pretty simple tho, yea

a big, difficult post game area would be really cool for sure. or any post game at all, really. gen 6 basically doesn't have one as is (even the battle frontier in oras has been gutted), so hopefully z changes that

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

I didn't play gen 4 until I was... I wanna say 20? So I've played 4, 5, and 6 as an adult and there's no drat way they're not getting easier. People complained about getting lost in Sinnoh. Fair complaint, so since then the traveling has mostly been one-directional. Whatever, not my cup of tea but no big deal. Gameplay-wise, 5 was easier than 4 but mostly due to quality of life improvements like unlimited TMs. Like hell I'd ever complain about that. But I could play either of the gen 6 games with my brain turned off. I'd love a big dirty postgame where the assumption is if you've got this far, you clearly understand how Pokemon works, and now the NPCs have more than a couple brain cells to rub together.

The best postgame was when you had to track down all of Ghetsis' buddies for Looker. I'd love to see something like that again.

I liked being a private eye in Poke Paris.

I want more of that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I want something to finally come from Rhyhorn racing. You can't put something like that in story and just do noting with it, Gamefreak!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Geostomp posted:

I want something to finally come from Rhyhorn racing. You can't put something like that in story and just do noting with it, Gamefreak!

Biggest bullshit in XY was when I realized that no, I was never gonna gain admittance to that Rhyhorn racetrack. FFS that kinda minigame is probably something GF could hammer out in an afternoon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rhyhorn should be a cart in mario kart

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Removing the tutorials or giving the option to skip them ruins the traditions of Pokemon and destroys the artistic integrity of the work.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Removing the tutorials or giving the option to skip them ruins the traditions of Pokemon and destroys the artistic integrity of the work.

Just like the second save file.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Geostomp posted:

rhyhorn racing was already in hgss

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Anyone want a shiny Azurill? Poor thing has a -attack nature, and I've got a water type on my team already. I'm looking for a female gale wings Fletchling, preferably in a timer ball. I'd ask the trading thread, but it's so slow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kikas posted:

Just like the second save file.

Put the pokes in the bank and start over. Hth.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly, as the series goes on, it only reinforces that its target is children, and in fact seems to think less and less of said target every time. What was already a really easy game became even easier and each gen feels more of a need to explain really obvious things, to the point that I'm pretty sure by next gen everything up to and including the first Gym will be a tutorial because children are too dumb to understand the obvious apparently. And everyone will have two Pokemon at most, wouldn't want to make this too hard.

But enough about fifth gen.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you want to play pokemon and have it be a challenging experience please don't waste your money on games when Showdown exists.

or if you must REALLY REALLY play barely written RPG plot lines just go down the sad hole that is pokemon romhacks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so if you want to play pokemon, don't play pokemon?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
To be fair, pretty much the entire game is a tutorial for battle resort and playing with your friends. Having monotyping gyms, having trainers even late game have NFE pokemon, and having enough money to buy the PokeMart outright lends themselves to this fact.

I just wish there were quicker more interesting ways to raise pokemon post game rather than fight three lv100 Blisseys or run around the countryside looking for trainers who have reset.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Anyone want a shiny Azurill? Poor thing has a -attack nature, and I've got a water type on my team already. I'm looking for a female gale wings Fletchling, preferably in a timer ball. I'd ask the trading thread, but it's so slow.

Let's talk in the trading thread, or PM me!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Rose Spirit posted:

Let's talk in the trading thread

Yes, thank you.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
So last year I had an appendectomy, and I used the recovery time to make a living pokedex. As far as event legendaries go, I think I've got a Diancie, Celebi and a Hoopa, has anyone had any success in getting the others and by what method? Don't care if they're legit, just want 'em for completeness. Got a 6IV japanese ditto, so Masuda-ing some nice-stat shinies isn't out of the question.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This year, they're going to be distributing mythical pokemon once a month starting in February. Some will be over wifi, some at gamestops; look up the listings there for details. Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion will be excluded from these distributions, presumably because they'll have other events specific to generation 6.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Volcanion will at least be available in July when the movie comes out. In Japan. It'll be distributed when the movie is localized in the west, usually at the end of the year or whenever they dub it, October or November most likely.

Also maybe one day we'll get the Japan only shiny Gen 6 legendary distribution, or the HA legendary birds, or any of the legendaries distributed by the latest movie, including Arceus and all its plates.

Eh, maybe next time.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I've put a lot of time into Pokemon X but I'm thinking about picking up Omega Ruby; is there some official way to transfer all of my Pokemon from X to Ruby on a single 3DS?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The rear end Stooge posted:

I've put a lot of time into Pokemon X but I'm thinking about picking up Omega Ruby; is there some official way to transfer all of my Pokemon from X to Ruby on a single 3DS?

yeah, pokemon bank

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
You can use the GTS, though you run the risk of other people grabbing your 'mons before you do. You can also use Pokemon Bank, which costs $5 a year.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pokemon Bank is well worth the $5 a year. And as a bonus, it is also the only way to get Gen 5 mons to your Gen 6 games via the companion app, Pokemon Transfer (or something like that).

Do we know if the Virtual Console Gen I games will be compatible with the modern games for trading purposes, or will they only be able to trade with the Gen I games on the VC?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Konig posted:

So last year I had an appendectomy, and I used the recovery time to make a living pokedex. As far as event legendaries go, I think I've got a Diancie, Celebi and a Hoopa, has anyone had any success in getting the others and by what method? Don't care if they're legit, just want 'em for completeness. Got a 6IV japanese ditto, so Masuda-ing some nice-stat shinies isn't out of the question.

I got my living dex by asking for trades on GameFAQs. I got every pokemon that way other than Hoopa and Volcanion both of which at the time you couldn't trade. I often just offered breedable pokemon for them since I have a bunch of 6IV dittos it wasn't too hard to breed 5 and 6IV pokemon. They probably aren't legit but it beats walking into a GameStop.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pokemon Bank is well worth the $5 a year. And as a bonus, it is also the only way to get Gen 5 mons to your Gen 6 games via the companion app, Pokemon Transfer (or something like that).

Do we know if the Virtual Console Gen I games will be compatible with the modern games for trading purposes, or will they only be able to trade with the Gen I games on the VC?

Nope, not compatible.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

majormonotone posted:

yeah, pokemon bank

Red Metal posted:

You can use the GTS, though you run the risk of other people grabbing your 'mons before you do. You can also use Pokemon Bank, which costs $5 a year.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Thanks!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gens 1 and 2 have completely different ways of calculating a Pokemon's stats and are totally incompatable with gen 3 and up. It'll never happen.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm starting to hate legendary events in bloody stores. They never seem to do them in my country. I had a helpful goon give me a Diancie code last time they were distributed via codes, but Hoopa was some Nintendo Zone bullshit or whatever and I couldn't find a way to get one (someone on some other forum suggested using a Nintendo Zone simulator but I never had luck setting one of those up). Don't suppose people found a way to stock on Hoopas that wasn't cloning them?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

notthegoatseguy posted:

Do we know if the Virtual Console Gen I games will be compatible with the modern games for trading purposes

this is the most ridiculous thing ive heard but that would've actually been really cool if we could one-way transfer from those games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pikachus transfered from red/blue should get a fat model

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Looks like the Pokemon Company released their Super Bowl ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46tGehnfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What the hell? It's not even an ad for Pokemon Go or whatever. Who's it targeted at even?

• Locked thread