Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good method or recipe for Siu Yuk? Have not caught up on the Chinese thread but I don't see it linked in the OP. http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/crispy-pork-belly-siu-yuk/ seems to be the best I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm using this recipe to make Mexican Rice:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/27072/mexican-rice-ii/

But I'm going to use brown rice instead of white rice. Will it still puff up, or does the brown part of the rice get in the way of that happening?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cookbook that's laid out like a sequential course, where you go through from beginning to end, making all the recipes, and when you finish...well, you've learned the content of the book? So many cookbooks seem to be laid out like encyclopedias, which are probably great once you're established, but my brain doesn't feel like it's there yet.
Not exactly what you're describing, but the Culinary Institute of America's The Professional Chef is a textbook designed to walk people through everything from scratch. There's a certain amount of stuff in it that's not going to be particularly useful to the home cook, and the recipes are scaled for a commercial kitchen (and they're not particularly spectacular anyway). But they cover all of the techniques you need to know in detail and with a lot of illustrations.

And like most textbooks there are frequent revisions, and you can usually find older editions on the cheap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Not exactly what you're describing, but the Culinary Institute of America's The Professional Chef is a textbook designed to walk people through everything from scratch. There's a certain amount of stuff in it that's not going to be particularly useful to the home cook, and the recipes are scaled for a commercial kitchen (and they're not particularly spectacular anyway). But they cover all of the techniques you need to know in detail and with a lot of illustrations.

And like most textbooks there are frequent revisions, and you can usually find older editions on the cheap.

Seconding this. This book was awesome to learn techniques from when I first got started cooking.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Goons I need some suggestions on how to pair salmon fillet with a spinach and mushroom risotto. I would usually just broil it with some salt and pepper and squeeze on lemon juice but I've got family flying in to town tomorrow and wanted something a little more elevated, but can't think of what to do that pairs well with the risotto. I was thinking I'd need another side to go with it but maybe the risotto and salmon is plenty on its own??

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've been snowed in since Friday with this snowstorm. By chance, I roasted and shredded a pork shoulder the weekend before the storm, and parted it out and froze it in 2-cup quantities. That's been absolutely perfect -- that amount of meat equates to 1-2 meals for two people depending on how much other stuff gets added to it. We've eaten like kings despite the fact that my street still hasn't seen a plow, and we still have some left. It has a rub on it, but in practice I've been able to use it in a bunch of different cuisines. I've tossed it with barbecue sauce for sandwiches, I've cooked it up with chiles and onions and spices for tacos (I also bought tomatillos with no real plan for them -- a happy coincidence there), and tonight we made a simple soy sauce-based sauce for it and ate it with a vegetable slaw. It's been great, kind of a blank slate. A blank meat slate.

What else can I do this with? Can I buy a big-rear end hunk of beef and do something similar to it? I've made pot roast before, but it's always had canned tomatoes and water and was more stew-like. I don't know if there's a cut I can just slow-roast like a pork shoulder and shred and repurpose in lots of ways. What about chicken, can I do something like that with a fattier cut like thighs?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a salad technique I should know about? Whenever I try to toss a salad, I invariably lose some leaves to the counter, are am so careful of avoiding that, that I can't seem to distribute the dressing evenly. What do I do?

Also, how long can I expect to keep leftover salad in the fridge?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Stinky_Pete posted:

Is there a salad technique I should know about? Whenever I try to toss a salad, I invariably lose some leaves to the counter, are am so careful of avoiding that, that I can't seem to distribute the dressing evenly. What do I do?

Also, how long can I expect to keep leftover salad in the fridge?

Don't literally toss it. Use a big bowl and gently scoop in from the sides and sort of fold it a couple times. Salad after cut will last a day-ish and after dressed less than a day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wipe your counter clean, so that when some leaves fall out you can put them back in without worrying if they're gross.

Salad doesn't have a hard expiration date, it's just that after about 3-4 days it gets worse every day and you have to decide if you're okay with how ugly it gets. You have options for extending its life:
- Use a Foodsaver and put the salad in a rigid vacuum container or mason jar and suck the air out
- Use a VacuVin container and suck the air out
- Put salad in a ziploc bag and close it almost all the way. Stick a straw into the opening and blow air in. Your exhaled breath has more CO2 and will push out the higher oxygen air so that the salad will go bad more slowly. Don't do this if you're sharing your salad with someone else because gross.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

guppy posted:

I've been snowed in since Friday with this snowstorm. By chance, I roasted and shredded a pork shoulder the weekend before the storm, and parted it out and froze it in 2-cup quantities. That's been absolutely perfect -- that amount of meat equates to 1-2 meals for two people depending on how much other stuff gets added to it. We've eaten like kings despite the fact that my street still hasn't seen a plow, and we still have some left. It has a rub on it, but in practice I've been able to use it in a bunch of different cuisines. I've tossed it with barbecue sauce for sandwiches, I've cooked it up with chiles and onions and spices for tacos (I also bought tomatillos with no real plan for them -- a happy coincidence there), and tonight we made a simple soy sauce-based sauce for it and ate it with a vegetable slaw. It's been great, kind of a blank slate. A blank meat slate.

What else can I do this with? Can I buy a big-rear end hunk of beef and do something similar to it? I've made pot roast before, but it's always had canned tomatoes and water and was more stew-like. I don't know if there's a cut I can just slow-roast like a pork shoulder and shred and repurpose in lots of ways. What about chicken, can I do something like that with a fattier cut like thighs?

Make bao. I made some steamed bun dough (I can't find what I used but I just googled around so do that) and wrapped up some BBQ pork. Then I froze them and they reheat well in a bamboo steamer basket.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

guppy posted:

You got it on the nose. Chicken thighs take less time, but shread nicely. The only other thing I can recommend for eating the reheatable pork is over rice. A cup of rice over a cup of fresh spinach with a half cup of slow cooked pork with sauces and spices of your preference, and you have a hell of a meal. Microwave it just enough to heat the food and wilt the spinach. A minute and a stir and another minute then sauce works great.

Sauces can be from sriracha to brown gravy back to jarred salsa (I do love home made peach or mango salsa on pork) to whatever you got. Red eye bacon gravy on pull pork rice with a fried egg? Pull pork jook with crispy fried onion? Pull pork salsa taco? Pull pork sammy with cole slaw? Pull pork omlette with tomatoes? Pull pork grill cheese?

DO IT. I have.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 26, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
When I learned to cook, I would just write down foods I liked and then make a recipe over and over until I got it right. The same thing every day. It would usually turn out pretty bad (or bland, over/undercooked/etc) at first but progressively got better.

Let me tell you about risotto with white rice and white Zinfandel.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

detectivemonkey posted:

Make bao. I made some steamed bun dough (I can't find what I used but I just googled around so do that) and wrapped up some BBQ pork. Then I froze them and they reheat well in a bamboo steamer basket.

Listen to this goon and post a trip report, fresh bao are delicious and are on my wife's and mine's cooking to-do list.

Is there a thread here for homemade spices, or are there any goons in this thread that make their own spice mixtures? I've had some dried ancho chiles staring out at me from my pantry, so today I decided to cut off the stems and grind those bad boys up in my food processor with some salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Now I have a dark red powder that smells amazing and is hot af, and now I kind of want to make more spices at home. Is this a thing people do? I have a mortar & pestle I need to use more often, and I found a strainer in my cupboard that was perfect for filtering out the chile seeds that weren't ground up by the processor.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, good info, goons. I did some looking at the America's Test Kitchen books and I think a combo of 100 Essentials and Cooking for Two would serve my purposes pretty well. Neither seem to be too encyclopedia-like and, from what I could see in the previews, had useful asides for most concepts. Thanks, all!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

A large number of things I make (when I don't have a specific plan) end up being more or less curryish, as I almost always end up using Turmeric, Cumin, Paprika, mustard, etc. The spices work well together, are fairly forgiving, and always produce delicious results, but even when I regularly mix up the veggies it always ends up tasting similar to something from last week. Are there any other spice blends that I should be looking to mess around with that generally work well with (largely) vegetable/grain centered meals?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gerblyn posted:

I'm using this recipe to make Mexican Rice:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/27072/mexican-rice-ii/

But I'm going to use brown rice instead of white rice. Will it still puff up, or does the brown part of the rice get in the way of that happening?

As a follow up for anyone interested, using brown rice didn't work very well. The brown rice took about 10-15m longer to cook, so I needed to add an extra cup or so of liquid to stop it drying out. Also, the bran in brown rice does indeed stop it puffing it up during cooking, so you don't get the characteristic soft pillow rice that you'd want, the texture is a lot more rough and grainy.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Regarding cookbooks that showcase a bunch of methods, Delia's How to Cook was always around in my parents' house and I remember dipping into it a lot. Her Complete Cookery Course book was also good, as I recall.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 26, 2016

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
So I'm planning on making this today:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/white-chili-with-chicken-best.html

It looks awesome and I'm stoked. But my wife hates melted cheese (RIGHT?!), so I gotta nix that and figure out another good thickening agent. I was thinking okra, but I've never cooked with it before. Should I just throw in like, a half pound of chopped okra near the end of cooking and pull it when it's tender?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Divorce & use cheese.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Luegene Cards posted:

So I'm planning on making this today:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/white-chili-with-chicken-best.html

It looks awesome and I'm stoked. But my wife hates melted cheese (RIGHT?!), so I gotta nix that and figure out another good thickening agent. I was thinking okra, but I've never cooked with it before. Should I just throw in like, a half pound of chopped okra near the end of cooking and pull it when it's tender?

Take out some of the beans, mash them or puree them, mix them back in. Should be plenty thick.

But really this:

a worthy uhh posted:

Divorce & use cheese.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Flour and nutritional yeast?

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
It calls for mashing the beans already, so I'll prolly just count on the gelatine of the homemade chicken stock and mash some more beans. Finalizing divorce papers just to be safe tho. Thanks!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PRADA SLUT posted:

When I learned to cook, I would just write down foods I liked and then make a recipe over and over until I got it right. The same thing every day. It would usually turn out pretty bad (or bland, over/undercooked/etc) at first but progressively got better.

Let me tell you about risotto with white rice and white Zinfandel.

Ha!

exactly the same over here, especially with the risotto!!

I ate risotto for the first time at a friends house, then made and ate it on my own for seven weeks straight (not counting the weekends).
I did not only make it every night, but i also searched the internet and read and learned everything there was to read and learn about risotto.
That's about 4 to 5 years ago now.

After that I ate risotto at a restaurant, it was almost as good as mine.
I don't make risotto for myself nowadays, but I do know I'm pretty much the best risotto maker I know :-D

There are a few other dishes I learned this way, but I think there's just too much I like to try, so I don't focus on one dish
like I used to (it definitely is the best way to learn, though)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are chicken backs good eats? I know people here will eat anything (in a good way) but I'm hoping to get some good ol all-purpose chicken to use in all kinds of stuff

Letting them cook in my slow cooker until the meat falls off is the way to cook them, right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Chicken backs are top tier stock material

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sirotan posted:

Goons I need some suggestions on how to pair salmon fillet with a spinach and mushroom risotto. I would usually just broil it with some salt and pepper and squeeze on lemon juice but I've got family flying in to town tomorrow and wanted something a little more elevated, but can't think of what to do that pairs well with the risotto. I was thinking I'd need another side to go with it but maybe the risotto and salmon is plenty on its own??

A good risotto is always enough on it's own; with some crusty bread to mop up with.

You could poach the salmon in wine/stock. Then reserve the liquid for cooking the rice. Make crispy salmon skins for garnish if your filet has skin on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Are chicken backs good eats? I know people here will eat anything (in a good way) but I'm hoping to get some good ol all-purpose chicken to use in all kinds of stuff

Letting them cook in my slow cooker until the meat falls off is the way to cook them, right?
I mean they're good but there's like zero meat on them, and what there is you have to pick. If you do it in the crock pot, you'll spend an hour sorting out scraps. What do you want it for? Can you just roast a whole chicken?

paraquat posted:

I ate risotto for the first time at a friends house, then made and ate it on my own for seven weeks straight (not counting the weekends).
I did not only make it every night, but i also searched the internet and read and learned everything there was to read and learn about risotto.
To any other beginners: this is nuts, you absolutely do not need to do this if you want to make a good dinner or even a good risotto. If you want to do it, of course you can, but it's definitely not necessary. Don't be discouraged at all if you'd rather kill yourself than go through 35 consecutive nights of making risotto.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Where are you that you can get just chicken backs in quantity? I never looked for them, but I've never encountered them except as, well, a component of a whole chicken.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have made a pork and beans that's basically Alton Brown's baked beans but with pork shoulder in it. I put the shoulder in while I cook the beans. If I were to cook the beans, cook lean pork separately, and then let it marinate in the beans in the fridge for a few hours, would that get the flavor through the meat too?

Or if I softened up the beans ahead of time, and then only cooked the whole thing together for about an hour or two, would that cook lean meat without making it tough? I just know that slow cooking lean meat makes it tough.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just know that slow cooking lean meat makes it tough.

Eh, yes and no. There is a difference between fat IN the meat, and fat ON the meat.

Beans and pork is supposed to be the left over bits of pork. Cooking a pork shoulder in the beans long enough to cook the pork will overcook the beans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hogmartin posted:

Where are you that you can get just chicken backs in quantity? I never looked for them, but I've never encountered them except as, well, a component of a whole chicken.

I dunno about everyone else, but Chinese markets often have trays of chicken carcasses for sale.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Eh, yes and no. There is a difference between fat IN the meat, and fat ON the meat.

Beans and pork is supposed to be the left over bits of pork. Cooking a pork shoulder in the beans long enough to cook the pork will overcook the beans.

I'm at 5,000 feet. The first time I cooked it for 8 hours and the beans were still undercooked.

The next time I pre-cooked the beans a little and overcooked the beans.

Would using the beans like a marinade on the cooked meat work?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
My mom just tried making stuffed grape leaves/dolma for the first time. Are there any basic suggestions that i can give her, like tricks you just realize after you've done them 20 times? The way she described it made it sound like pierogi, something you sit down and make a ton of and then freeze, rather than throw together for a quick dinner.

e: she used this recipe but left out the currants which I can understand because ick.
http://www.food.com/recipe/stuffed-grape-leaves-lebanese-84566

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 27, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finally got around to trying out that hunk of aluminum. Here's how it did:

Probably should have left it in for another couple of minutes, but it was tasty!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

Finally got around to trying out that hunk of aluminum. Here's how it did:

Probably should have left it in for another couple of minutes, but it was tasty!

Holy crap, I bet that smelled so good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hogmartin posted:

Holy crap, I bet that smelled so good.

It still does :3:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Invited to an Italian-themed brunch this weekend, any good novice level recipe suggestions?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Invited to an Italian-themed brunch this weekend, any good novice level recipe suggestions?

Bruschetta on toast?

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/24102/fresh-tomato-bruschetta-recipe/

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 27, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mimosas :v: