Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of heat, I notice all the laptops with Nvidia's 980 desktop GPU have been 10 pound monsters. Is it just not physically possible to keep a desktop GPU cool in anything smaller? A couple people (including myself) had asked about VR-ready laptops, and that was the only thing that would meet Oculus specifications.

There is the 980MX due out this summer, but the specs look like a pretty minor improvement over the 980M:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-gtx-980mx-970mx/

Oh well, my main interest in VR has been for stereoscopic FPV drone flying, which shouldn't need much GPU power.

The Razor Blade (or something sharp sounding) does have a desktop 980 in a rather small frame. However, it costs a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of heat, I notice all the laptops with Nvidia's 980 desktop GPU have been 10 pound monsters. Is it just not physically possible to keep a desktop GPU cool in anything smaller? A couple people (including myself) had asked about VR-ready laptops, and that was the only thing that would meet Oculus specifications.

There is the 980MX due out this summer, but the specs look like a pretty minor improvement over the 980M:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-gtx-980mx-970mx/

Oh well, my main interest in VR has been for stereoscopic FPV drone flying, which shouldn't need much GPU power.

No. That's why it's called a desktop GPU.

The only chance you have to use 980s on a reasonably sized laptop is to get one of the laptops with a thunderbolt connected GPU case (there's a thing from razer coming up) but that will also require mains power. If all you do is play video from your toy planes on it then I don't see why you can't just hook up the Oculus to a "normal" gaming laptop that is only one boat anchor instead of two boat anchors strapped to each other, but even then gaming laptops typically have garbage battery life because of the gaming part.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It wouldn't surprise me if VR ready laptops arrive at CES 2017 labeled as such. With really crappy performance, but still capable of doing quake 1 level graphics.

Desktop graphics cards in a small laptop just thermally isn't a good idea. The GPU chips in the Razor Blade are probably the best of the best of the best chips, capable of performing when overheated much better than the ones you can buy at the store, and probably command a huge premium from the manufacturer (think i3 vs i7 chip binning)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah I haven't gotten around to returning mine yet, I plan to on Tuesday when we've dug out from under the snow. Loving the pen/digitizer accuracy and everything is great except the busted keyboard (felt nice while it lasted), but my spider-sense is going haywire about quality control issues so it's probably going back. Did you find an easy way to restore to factory defaults?

Sorry if this is late, but go into Recovery and do the reset, then have it do a full clear, should say something about "Use this option if your recycling the PC as data will be very difficult to recover"

Also edit: Does anyone have any experience with Dell's refurbished laptops from their Outlet? i *might* have a chance at getting a refurb alienware 15r2 for about $600 BUT id have to have a sales rep remove the 1 year premium warranty. it has an i7 6700HQ and a gtx970m. This isnt a sure thing, but the regular sales rep encouraged me to go for it and said i should have a pretty good shot at getting in come monday morning and told me to mention the sales chat reference # etc.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 23, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

grimcreaper posted:

Sorry if this is late, but go into Recovery and do the reset, then have it do a full clear, should say something about "Use this option if your recycling the PC as data will be very difficult to recover"

Also edit: Does anyone have any experience with Dell's refurbished laptops from their Outlet? i *might* have a chance at getting a refurb alienware 15r2 for about $600 BUT id have to have a sales rep remove the 1 year premium warranty. it has an i7 6700HQ and a gtx970m. This isnt a sure thing, but the regular sales rep encouraged me to go for it and said i should have a pretty good shot at getting in come monday morning and told me to mention the sales chat reference # etc.

No experience with Dell but that's fully half the price of the most basic laptop kitted with a 970m I've seen. Definitely go for it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

No experience with Dell but that's fully half the price of the most basic laptop kitted with a 970m I've seen. Definitely go for it.

yeah im definatly going to try. I was really happy that the regular sales rep was so encouraging with the whole thing. just gotta wait until monday when the outlet sales reps are available.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm looking for a basic laptop that can stream, run a few YouTube tabs, and generally do web browser poo poo well, as well as run lower end steam stuff (Rogue Legacy, most sub 10 dollar games, MAAAAYYYYBE Rocket League at low settings) and run Microsoft office. I won't be moving it around too much, mostly from desk to bed to living room, so construction isn't a huge deal.

There anything sub $500 that goons would recommend or should I up my budget? Thinking the Asus X205TA but I'm a bit leery of the fact it's 200 bucks.

Definitely a Lenovo Thinkpad 11e

http://www.adorama.com/LE20ED000EUS.html

I bought one a few weeks ago. It ran Counter Strike, Half Life 2 and Day of Defeat at max settings with smooth gameplay. The 11e is also a very rugged laptop for it's price. I'm enjoying mine so far. Just upgrade it to Windows 10 asap. Runs better.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 24, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

blowfish posted:

If all you do is play video from your toy planes on it then I don't see why you can't just hook up the Oculus to a "normal" gaming laptop that is only one boat anchor instead of two boat anchors strapped to each other, but even then gaming laptops typically have garbage battery life because of the gaming part.

Yeah, I had been thinking about that. Is anyone familiar with the Lenovo Ideapad Y700?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-t-15-inch/?sb=:000001C9:00016441:

It has everything I might need at a not-too-terrible price for a gaming laptop.

Though now it looks like there might be a chance I could get away with Intel graphics, so I'll probably wait a while.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, I had been thinking about that. Is anyone familiar with the Lenovo Ideapad Y700?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-t-15-inch/?sb=:000001C9:00016441:

It has everything I might need at a not-too-terrible price for a gaming laptop.

Though now it looks like there might be a chance I could get away with Intel graphics, so I'll probably wait a while.

Overpriced for theGPU you get. at that price you can grab a 970m, which is easily 50-60% more powerful, for not too much more. Look at clevo/sager/MSI's options

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I need a laptop for compsci/robotry but I'm very poor. Apparently running ubuntu on a chromebook is a thing that can happen, and other laptops in the $200-$400 pricerange are hot garbage. I don't care about gaming, I just need something that I can carry to and from class (and maybe take outside every now and then), that I can use on my coding quest to become a computerman, and that can set up an ad-hoc wifi network (which I know Ubuntu can do).

Guide me, laptop thread, and forgive me if this poo poo's been covered. There are 444 pages.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

scandoslav posted:

I need a laptop for compsci/robotry but I'm very poor. Apparently running ubuntu on a chromebook is a thing that can happen, and other laptops in the $200-$400 pricerange are hot garbage. I don't care about gaming, I just need something that I can carry to and from class (and maybe take outside every now and then), that I can use on my coding quest to become a computerman, and that can set up an ad-hoc wifi network (which I know Ubuntu can do).

Guide me, laptop thread, and forgive me if this poo poo's been covered. There are 444 pages.

http://www.adorama.com/LE20ED000EUS.html AMD version

http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-11-6-quad-core-notebook-45?ref=w_gh_cp_4_s_txt Intel Version

These specs aren't very powerful, but they are tiny tanks.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 25, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you check out the Lenovo Outlet store you should be able to pick up an Intel i3 Thinkpad 11e for about the same price. I need to add that in to the OP

Alternately look at a refurb T430, X230 etc on ebay (that is already in the OP), it will come with an i5 which ought to cut down on your compile times by quite a bit.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Hadlock posted:

If you check out the Lenovo Outlet store you should be able to pick up an Intel i3 Thinkpad 11e for about the same price. I need to add that in to the OP

Alternately look at a refurb T430, X230 etc on ebay (that is already in the OP), it will come with an i5 which ought to cut down on your compile times by quite a bit.

I wasn't even aware there was a Core i3 version of the 11e. I would have picked that one up. Whoops!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

scandoslav posted:

You should be able to get a Acer 720 Chromebook with the Celeron for $100 or so, lightly used. You can load Ubuntu on that straight up and remove ChromeOS

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 25, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You may be better off getting a used regular laptop as opposed to a Chromebook if you want to run full-blown Linux, plus using an 11.6" screen for coding may drive you crazy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I spent three years coding on an 10-inch EeePC screen by choice for Uni, I regret nothing :shepface:.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HPL posted:

You may be better off getting a used regular laptop as opposed to a Chromebook if you want to run full-blown Linux, plus using an 11.6" screen for coding may drive you crazy.

It's not really any worse than the 12.1" screen on the thread favorite X220/X230
Keyboard isn't quite ThinkPad worthy but then again we're talking $100 here.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

scandoslav posted:

If you're ok with buying used/refurbished Vertexpc is a great seller on eBay. Less than 300 bucks for a T430. Upgrade the ram and you should be set, though I have seen some configs with 8 to 16 gigs for around 300. Battery will probably be have to be replaced too but it'll still be more powerful and versatile than a chrome book.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

scandoslav posted:

One option is a $200 refurbished Latitude E6230.

I bought one of these a week or two back and have been happy with it. The Ivy Bridge processor is not much slower than new ones, it just uses more power and will limit you to around 5-6hr battery life at the top end. The one I got comes with a 6-cell battery that appears to be new but not OEM, which may not be quite as good as an OEM one but seems OK. Weighs about 3.5 pounds and the innards are easily accessible under a bottom panel held by only one screw. I wish the screen were 1080p instead of 1366x768 but it's alright for the price. If you do decide you want to mess with any games, the built in graphics will be sufficient for many of them to run well at 720p/low detail.

If you really want it to be quick, you can upgrade to an SSD and 8GB of memory and still stay under $300. It's a hell of a lot better than the single-core Atom netbook I bought for $290 for my final year of college.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 25, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

mem posted:

I wasn't very good in school which is why I'm driving a truck for a living, ha. I thought it would be overload for the much smaller connections going to the 12v jacks in the truck. The wire connected to my inverter is much larger. Perhaps that would work as well. I'll look at prices between the two next time I can swing by a store.
Don't get a UPS. Most don't do convert 120VAC to sine-wave 120VAC, and the inverter part (when they run off the internal battery) is usually a chopper-stepped pseudo-sine-wave 120VAC just like your current inverter.

The best option is to buy a better inverter for your truck. We ran several Xantrex Sine-Wave inverters on the research boats that I used to work on, and they were stellar. You should be able to sell your current inverter, and install the Xantrex in it's place. Here's a good option: 1800W output: http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-PROWatt-Inverter-Model-806-1220/dp/B002LGEMOQ If the company won't let you swap it, then you're out of luck.

If you can't do that, you can try finding an aftermarket power supply that uses a 2-pin AC plug, rather than 3-pin. Inverters are often very noisy, especially on the ground side. I've successfully run several laptops off of 250w cheap-o inverters, but they always had 2-pin power plugs. I know that some inverters don't even have anything connected to the ground pin... The problem is that your massive gaming laptop draws something like 230w of power, which is 25A of current at 12VDC after inverter losses. There's no way your cigarette plugs will handle that output, most are fused at 10 or 15 amps. See if you can plug into some other trucker's AC outlet and get it to charge... If it will, and they're running a mod-sine-wave inverter, there may be something miswired.

Comrade_Canada posted:

finally received and had a change to play with the Latitude e7450 (got it as an off lease), and i must say Im pretty impressed by the stellar build quality, weight and battery life (around 8-9 hours of office work), compared to my older Y50.
Screen is excellent (mine ended up having a Samsung PLS FHD screen), and the keyboard is actually pretty good with better key travel than the Y50, and it doesnt have a crappy red keys and backlight (which look weird in an office)
The only downside is that the trackpoint could be better like on a Thinkpad, and most of the parts are on the rear of the machine (save one USB3 and a Sound Port)

specs
i7-5600u
8gb ram
256gb ssd
Samsung PLS 1080p screen
Nvidia 840m
54whr battery
If this had a USB-C port, I'd buy one right now. Hopefully the next gen will have one.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, so, I got a chance to look at an XPS 15 and really liked it... except for one thing. It's got a 960 GPU rather than a 970m. How big a deal is that, really? I haven't bought a computer in almost a decade so it's tough to get a clear idea of how these things match up.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Corbeau posted:

Okay, so, I got a chance to look at an XPS 15 and really liked it... except for one thing. It's got a 960 GPU rather than a 970m. How big a deal is that, really? I haven't bought a computer in almost a decade so it's tough to get a clear idea of how these things match up.

Assuming your needs are the same as your posts back in August, the 960 should be competent.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's mostly about future-proofing; someone in the past page or so wrote that the 960m was reaching the end of it's reasonable lifespan, so I don't want to regret cheaping out after a couple of years.

In terms of 970s, what are the options like? I see Razer and MSI laptops listed and the latter are way cheaper. What's the catch? Is it really just the Razer brand name?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, say I have ~$1500 to spend on a laptop, and would like something approximately 15 inches that more or less fits into the "gaming laptop" category. Is it a good time to buy a new laptop right now, or a bad time? What I sort of mean is that, is a new generation of stuff about to come out like GPUs, processors?

I used to know a lot more about this stuff but I have fallen behind quite a ways back. The current gaming laptops I am seeing run a GTX 960, 970, or 980. I'm looking at ones with a 970. Is this, in general, a powerful enough GPU to run modern games at 60 FPS? I would hope so. Should I try and get one of the newest laptops running a Skylake processor? I was pretty much assuming I would be going with a machine with a 970m, since the ones with an 980m seem a bit out of my range.

I would sort of like to avoid Asus ROG laptops as I am sort of done with them, and MSI laptops gross me out in many ways. I'm very unsure quite where to go and would kinda like something... SLIGHTLY less clunky. I don't mind if it looks like a spaceship or whatever.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Any idea how often this store is updated with stock? It just has the Celeron's now. Also, can you upgrade the RAM or swap out the HD for an SSD on these?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I probably should've mentioned that I have 16 gigs of ram and a 250gb SSD sitting around (that had previously been used to upgrade my now-dead macbook (rip in pis little buddy)).

Hadlock posted:

So the I3 version has its RAM mounted to the MB; would the ability to put 16 gigs in the celeron make it win out? I'm not 100% on where the bottleneck is for compiling.

HPL posted:

I was somewhat worried about screen size tbh. I got the impression that chromebooks were the cheapest/best value, but the refurbished thinkpads (and the like) are starting to look good, especially with them 14" screens.

I am still paralyzed by choice, but the field has been significantly slimmed down. :)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Corbeau posted:

The 970m is significantly more powerful than the 960m, I strongly encourage you to go for a laptop with the latter if you care about gaming performance.

Downside is you lose out on the frankly loving amazing build quality of the XPS 15. It's a hell of a laptop. Light, long battery, and a 960m is still very capable! But I wouldn't want to still be on it in another 2 years.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I adored the feel of the XPS 15, but B&H has a deal on the MSI GT72 with a 970m GPU for what seemed like a super solid price. So I have a GT72 on the way. The thread seemed to hold a good opinion of that model, from a quick search, and I've delayed so long on getting a new laptop that time became an issue.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

scandoslav posted:

I probably should've mentioned that I have 16 gigs of ram and a 250gb SSD sitting around (that had previously been used to upgrade my now-dead macbook (rip in pis little buddy)).

So the I3 version has its RAM mounted to the MB; would the ability to put 16 gigs in the celeron make it win out? I'm not 100% on where the bottleneck is for compiling.

Single channel ddr3. Not soldered on. You can remove it and add something bigger. I was pretty sure 8gig was the max but I could be wrong

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Is there any real reason to avoid Alienware? I've found that their build quality, especially the keyboard and chassis, tend to be nicer and more durable than a lot of other "gaming laptops" out there which sell the same basic components for less money (Asus, MSI, etc). Plus a lack of bloatware which is nice. I am very tempted to get an Alienware 15 with 970m and 6700HQ processor (which I think is the newest one?). Is this a bad idea for any particular reason? Is the 970m in danger of being out of date anytime soon?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
My brother is looking for a budget (<$400) laptop that can do general office tasks as well as Dota 2, what are his options?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Corbeau posted:

I adored the feel of the XPS 15, but B&H has a deal on the MSI GT72 with a 970m GPU for what seemed like a super solid price. So I have a GT72 on the way. The thread seemed to hold a good opinion of that model, from a quick search, and I've delayed so long on getting a new laptop that time became an issue.

Good choice. The GT72 series are fantastic laptops and a good true desktop replacement for 90% of people if you are OK with the size.

When you get it take out some (most?) of the factory bloatware and you'll have a very fast, very strong, all around kick-rear end laptop.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I took a quick look at the first post I need some clarification. My brother is in the market for a laptop to do CAD drafting and reviewing on. He is a sheet metal fabricator, so he has clients sending him CAD files, and he will likely take a CAD drafting course himself to start using the tool to do his mockups. Will he be ok with a Lenovo T450 or should he get a T550? Also, is there a reliable source for used/refurbished lenovos in Canada? I took a look but it doesn't look like they have a Canadian outlet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The first digit in the model name of ThinkPads represents the screen size:

T450: 14"
T550: 15"

Otherwise, same hardware inside.

He may be okay with a T series, but depending on the demand of his CAD work he may need to consider a W540/W541/W550.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Thanks for your input. I'm more concerned with durability of the laptop than fastest speeds if that impacts your recommendation. I was under the impression the T series was sturdier.

Edit: I just took a look at the W series, that seems to be a bit better, thanks for the suggestion.

Gophermaster fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 26, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Thinkpads are getting refreshed in February

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

Any idea how often this store is updated with stock? It just has the Celeron's now. Also, can you upgrade the RAM or swap out the HD for an SSD on these?

Daily, sometimes hourly. Best to check in Monday morning local Beijing time, lots of stuff goes on the site then. It's a total crapshoot, and changes constantly.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Mu Zeta posted:

And the P50/P70 are already out if you need a high-power laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

According to what? Please post reference link(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hadlock posted:

According to what? Please post reference link(s)

Press releases in December and preview things. In all likelihood February will end up being April for some/most of them.