Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LordZoric posted:

Pretty sure he was also the mastermind behind the "pack up and move to London or lose your job" decision that brought development to a screeching halt for the better part of a year.

I would knot be surprised if that was also his doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Truth. About the only thing Starbound has on Terraria at this point is the ability to break multiple blocks in one swing and exploring multiple worlds without making a new world in the menu.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of the thread title update

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hell, I like it.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

TheObserver posted:

Starbound: Play Terraria instead.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

Hell, I like it.

You should be proud of your child, Babe

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LordZoric posted:

Truth. About the only thing Starbound has on Terraria at this point is the ability to break multiple blocks in one swing and exploring multiple worlds without making a new world in the menu.
Both games are awful, one is just more awful than the other.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

You should be proud of your child, Babe

finally, something in my life that isn't disappointing

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

im glad of the thread title update

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Babe Magnet posted:

finally, something in my life that isn't disappointing

Hmmmm

Are you sure?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jackard posted:

Terraria's pretty ok actually.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So are the poop enemies still in the game, or should i lose hope entirely

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Starbound: This game is re-tiy-ded

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

So are the poop enemies still in the game, or should i lose hope entirely

there is a little poop monster (my avatar) and a big poop monster, actually

Blhue posted:

Hmmmm

Are you sure?

don't take this away from me

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jackard posted:

:eyepoop:

Nah man, Terraria's legit good, sorry!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

Nah man, Terraria's legit good, sorry!
It has poo poo combat/multiplayer

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It actually has pretty good combat and great multiplayer, doing stuff like blood moons or big boss battles with friends is very fun

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jackard posted:

It has poo poo combat/multiplayer

It has perfectly serviceable combat and great multiplayer!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

So did they patch in actual multiplayer support or are you still reliant on third-party tools like TShock?

Because trying to run a server for that game was garbage.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Not to mention great new content for years after a supposed 1.0. The only reason people actually care about starbound is because terraria is that good and they saw hope of a similar game here.

Jackard posted:

So did they patch in actual multiplayer support or are you still reliant on third-party tools like TShock?

IIRC, not only multiplayer but full steamworks integration.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jackard posted:

Wow, when the hell is the last time you actually played?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

terraria is really fun, especially with a few friends

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

Wow, when the hell is the last time you actually played?
Before Starbound came out. Touch damage, hp-heavy combat and multiplayer outside a small group of friends was impossible due to lack of support.

Hardmode was a lovely bandaid that hosed up your map and screwed over newbies instead of being properly integrated zones at worldgen. Same goes for events.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 25, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nerdz posted:

Not to mention great new content for years after a supposed 1.0. The only reason people actually care about starbound is because terraria is that good and they saw hope of a similar game here.

IIRC, not only multiplayer but full steamworks integration.

The Steamworks thing was supposedly in the works for like.. the last 2 years. Nothing has come of it.

But then again, that last big patch did promise it again, a long with claiming that Terraria is going to be his main focus and large updates will continue to roll out again. We will see though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The only real bad thing about Terraria is that so few weapons have autoswing so it eventually ruins your hands with all the frantic clicking

Otherwise it's an allright game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish terraria had vanity skins for weapons that are essentially reskins like the magic missile/firebrand. or a way to like "feed" high tiet weapons to lower tier weapons for improved stats so i could space gun well into hard mode

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no matter what happens the combat in terraria is still awful. like, the game does other things really well, but i hope people don't pretend the combat is in any way decent.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The combat is good if you're not fighting bosses, then it's just baaaaaaaaaaaaad

Moon lord? More like: buttlord that has killed everyone wearing endgame armor in two hits because what is balance

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

The combat is good if you're not fighting bosses, then it's just baaaaaaaaaaaaad

Moon lord? More like: buttlord that has killed everyone wearing endgame armor in two hits because what is balance

What is balance?

Moon Lord dont hurt me..

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not sure what you mean by "decent". It's not complex strategic chess or anything but it's flashy and fun.

Moon lord sucks though, no dispute.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jackard posted:

Before Starbound came out. Touch damage, hp-heavy combat and multiplayer outside a small group of friends was impossible due to lack of support.

Hardmode was a lovely bandaid that hosed up your map and screwed over newbies instead of being properly integrated zones at worldgen. Same goes for events.
Well, it still has touch damage by nature of most enemy AIs being "run into the player" and even with Steamworks suffers from a certain amount of resyncing issues. In fact, most of the things you don't like (subjective, but valid on a player-to-player basis) about Terraria are still in the game. They added an Expert Mode, which uses different damage formulas, but is still basically the same thing. Melee is still crap, magic is always getting nerfed, and ranged is still king because rather than making them all good in different ways, it's easier just to make everything bad.

Which, when you think about it, is Starbound's problem, too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The lunar pillars are straight garbage too. There's a flying centipede type enemy that that moves at like 2x speed and homes in on you if you leave the ground in a game where flying becomes your main source of mobility.

On the other hand it's hard to stay mad at a game that includes a gun that shoots rainbows and unicorn mounts and has an achievement for shooting rainbows while riding your unicorn

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

no matter what happens the combat in terraria is still awful. like, the game does other things really well, but i hope people don't pretend the combat is in any way decent.

The White Dragon posted:

In fact, most of the things you don't like (subjective, but valid on a player-to-player basis) about Terraria are still in the game.
So I was correct? What's with earlier people pretending it has no shortcomings??

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria does a lot of stuff pretty well and the updates have really only improved the game even if some of the boss fights suck. it's still the kind of thing i played for a little while and then got bored with because ultimately it all boils down to trying to gear up to fight the next Giant Flying rear end in a top hat and i could just play modded minecraft to build things that look neat.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

The lunar pillars are straight garbage too. There's a flying centipede type enemy that that moves at like 2x speed and homes in on you if you leave the ground in a game where flying becomes your main source of mobility.

On the other hand it's hard to stay mad at a game that includes a gun that shoots rainbows and unicorn mounts and has an achievement for shooting rainbows while riding your unicorn

Yeah, terraria it's not a perfect game but it is what it is and has a shitload of content at that.

Speaking of combat, which 2D games in your opinion have good combat? I can't really think of any that I rather enjoyed, maybe castlevanias.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

typically 2d games that have predetermined areas and handcrafted encounters are much more fun to actually play than ones that try to randomly generate everything. castlevanias are a very good example. there's exceptions like spelunky which despite being procedurally generated have combat as a whole being a weird mixture of using your environment to your advantage and having lots of tools at your disposal. also enemies in that game tend not to fly straight at you all the time.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I really wish they went in the initially-rumored stylistic direction that included cumguns.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

typically 2d games that have predetermined areas and handcrafted encounters are much more fun to actually play than ones that try to randomly generate everything. castlevanias are a very good example. there's exceptions like spelunky which despite being procedurally generated have combat as a whole being a weird mixture of using your environment to your advantage and having lots of tools at your disposal. also enemies in that game tend not to fly straight at you all the time.

I remember spelunky having a ridiculous amount of leaps of faith and also enemies that would rival any annoying starbound monster. Combat had very little options unless you got some good item combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

nerdz posted:

maybe castlevanias.

https://twitter.com/tiyuri/status/249881891258380288

As for fun combat, Mega Man X 1-3 are probably my favorite 2d games ever.

• Locked thread