Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Switchback posted:

The City Harvest Church scandal is pretty good BWM. A mega church tried to make the pastor's wife a US pop star, putting her up in LA and hiring Wyclef to collaborate on songs. The idea was that they were "spreading the gospel through song" (the songs have absolutely no gospel undertones). They spent more covering up the financial scheme than they did actually funding the failed endeavor.

The songs are really really bad.

https://youtu.be/wSZQH_c9jOU
https://youtu.be/3GgxsfODXrI

She's a terrible singer. It also doesn't take millions to make reggae with a couple of music videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Zo posted:

Also if special needs kid was too depressing here's Mr moneybags going into the negative on margins

Oops forgot there thread link, though I imagine most people here have seen it

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/

September 9th was a 40% drop and October 6th was bankruptcy

I am late to the party, but I have just been reading this and it blew my mind. After all those jawdropping losses, that forum is still hostile to the slightest suggestion that they should've known better. Amazing.

But the best part is the people boasting before the drop, like this guy:

quote:

... my mom whose account I manage and has around 415k shares and probably doesn't know GTAT is on the Nasdaq. I have to set up separate accounts for her GTAT holdings so she doesn't see all her positions at once as she has been telling me to sell for it for more than a year and I have to keep telling her to wait and hide exactly how much of her portfolio is GTAT so she doesn't flip out about it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Trillian posted:

I am late to the party, but I have just been reading this and it blew my mind. After all those jawdropping losses, that forum is still hostile to the slightest suggestion that they should've known better. Amazing.

But the best part is the people boasting before the drop, like this guy:
That was one of my favorite posts. In a sad way.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/42eu3p/cousin_wants_to_go_to_equestrian_school_what_kind/

quote:

my cousin want to go to an equestrian college. She's 15 now and rides in horse shows all the time and wins quite a few of them. She loves horses and riding them, and is absolutely set on going to an equestrian college.

But what kind of job can she ever hope to get with an equestrian degree? Horse riding teacher? Farm hand?.... Show horse.. Stuff? Her college she's hoping to get into is also 40k a year and my family is definitely not make of that kind of money. She has a college fund and is trying for scholarships, but... Even still, that's 160k in student debt she's looking at.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Horse college exists?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I went to people college.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

bovine university here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gotta appreciate that they pretty much got an immediate answer from someone in the know, and that answer was "unless she's from a rich family or insanely talented, lolno." The internet is a magical thing sometimes.

NancyPants posted:

Horse college exists?
Think of it as a subsidy for every other program(if it's part of a university) or as regular old money grubbing(if it's a separate thing).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

NancyPants posted:

Horse college exists?

Someone tell Lewis Black:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ0s0KUUpxo

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That was exactly what I was thinking of when I read it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think you go to horse college to become a horse.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You should probably be an independently wealthy house wife if you plan to go to horse college.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

cowofwar posted:

You should probably be an independently wealthy house wife if you plan to go to horse college.
or dependently wealthy

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Does horse college offer the MRS degree path?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Horse college is for if your daddy is Mitt Romney and you just LOVE horses and why can't I just go to this college dad, you said college was a good idea and this one lets you stay with the horses and ride them every day! It'll be ever so much fun and I'll get a degree and everything, just like you said.

Besides, me and Thurston are getting married and he says I'll never need to work anyways, besides daddy you worked so hard and my trust takes care of everything anyhow!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Horse college is for if your daddy is Mitt Romney and you just LOVE horses and why can't I just go to this college dad, you said college was a good idea and this one lets you stay with the horses and ride them every day! It'll be ever so much fun and I'll get a degree and everything, just like you said.

Besides, me and Thurston are getting married and he says I'll never need to work anyways, besides daddy you worked so hard managed not to spend all of your father's money and my trust takes care of everything anyhow!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think you go to horse college to become a horse.

We actually call it "university".

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

For me, it's spiritual,' she says. 'It's a different realm. You're not worried about bills, you're not worried about going to work.
'I become freer, I'm me. I'm very introverted and I do express through being a pony girl. And that's a wonderful place to be for somebody. That's a great place to be.'
Unfortunately, however, transforming into a pony doesn't come cheap with each of Leanne's ensembles costing between £5,000 and £10,000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...idle-night.html

Is this what you learn at pony college?

Switchback fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 25, 2016

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

GWM: Selling some idiot horse fetish outfits that cost £5k+ each

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I dunno man, the type of person who gets into horsefetish leather crafting probably has their own issues to contend with...

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I spent way too much time googling horse colleges tonight.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

horse mans posted:

I love how there's a lurking account for every possible joke post just waiting for the opportunity to pounce.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

horse mans posted:

Isn't it spelled uneighversity?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hanales posted:

Isn't it spelled uneighversity?

Don't make fun of his speech impediment

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Seriously though bdsm stuff can make you a ton of money. Particularly if its a kink that can also go with cosplay stuff. Some of the people on etsy or that have custom shops just standard orders that can earn 200 dollars per each part of a job for a few hours of work. And dual markets can earn a ton more

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

being a dominant who specializes in financial dominance is probably super GWM especially if you can get an accountant as a client

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm nominating this post from the climate change thread in D&D for 2016's worst with money from elsewhere on SA early.

quote:

You're acting like there's no tradeoff value to saving for retirement. If we genuinely believe that retirement will be structurally impossible at recommended rates of saving (say 10% of income when starting in early 20s, which is VASTLY more than most people actually save), then the rational course of action is to spend that money now.

Why give up a vacation to Cancun, a new car, or a new house to save for retirement if there is a chance that "jobless people will actually attack the rich for food"? That's a very real tradeoff. Maybe it's my personality, but living a life of scrimping and saving and then seeing everything get vaporized would make me extremely bitter about the sacrifices I'd made to get there.

You can strawman this all you want, but having talked to a lot of dying people as a former EMT (usually during interfacility transports), a lot of them really wanted to have worked less and seen the world more. Not having to save massive amounts of cash allows you to do both, coincidentally.

Yes, my plan to work less is to not save for retirement :psyduck:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I guess the EMT doesn't interact with people for the 20 years before they're in his ambulance where they're eating soup every night and have trouble paying the heating bill.

I get the guy's position-- he or she is not a winner in the system, the system probably isn't going to allow them retirement, so why stumble along and sacrifice for something that's unobtainable? Still, the eventual answer to that question can't be "gently caress it, the revolution is coming."

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

quote:

You can strawman this all you want, but having talked to a lot of dying people as a former EMT (usually during interfacility transports), a lot of them really wanted to have worked less and seen the world more.
Heh, that's quite the selection bias he has there. Most people don't die before they retire.
Of course, everyone is free to jump from a bridge at the age of 65, which is also easier if your savings amount to nothing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Blinkman987 posted:

I guess the EMT doesn't interact with people for the 20 years before they're in his ambulance where they're eating soup every night and have trouble paying the heating bill.

I get the guy's position-- he or she is not a winner in the system, the system probably isn't going to allow them retirement, so why stumble along and sacrifice for something that's unobtainable? Still, the eventual answer to that question can't be "gently caress it, the revolution is coming."

For a little context, it's about his assumption (and mine, really) that eventually everything will collapse due to climate change. But he's pushing a pretty hard bet that it will happen before his retirement age, which is a dangerous gamble in my mind.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah uhh climate change absolutely could be the catalyst for global economic collapse and it could certainly happen in the next 40-60 years. That said, I'm not sure enough that it will happen that I want to sign up now to eating dog food for the entirety of my twilight years.

That poo poo has glutens.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
They say climate change killed the dinosaurs, maybe the next climate change will bring them back. If that happens I will get a T-Rex and let him feast on the flesh of the bourgeois.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Delusional, I love it. Best way to prepare for a revolution of the unfed masses is to be one yourself!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Ha, like a government would go through the trouble of tracking down your retirement assets to redistribute to the starving masses.

More likely they just print lots of new money, making your savings completely worthless. At least in that case you have a little warning so you can go hog wild with hookers and blow before you're heating your house with your cashed out 401k.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Which is why you don't want all of your money invested in your home currency. I have more than I should invested in CAD funds, but I'm very thankful its not all of it. But that's good with money talk.

My assumption is that if global warming or some other disaster tanks the economy as we know it, the only good investments will have been land with access to clean water, a gun, and lots of ammo. I'll likely have other things to worry about than not taking that trip 10 years ago.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Every generation since the beginning of time thought the apocalypse would happen in their generation. It's not going to happen in ours.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Switchback posted:

Every generation since the beginning of time thought the apocalypse would happen in their generation. It's not going to happen in ours.

I could understand people thinking like that in WWII. Especially when assets were seized for the war effort, what's the point in saving anything when it will be taken away?

People should worry about events that are more likely such as: retirement and natural disasters.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

But how can I get off on my doomsday fetishism with realistic, practical advice like that?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It doesn't matter what I say people will still get carried away with their highly specific doomsday OCD behaviour. Even goldbugs are ignoring evidence that gold has had worse returns that the stock market for all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

I'm nominating this post from the climate change thread in D&D for 2016's worst with money from elsewhere on SA early.

Yes, my plan to work less is to not save for retirement :psyduck:

Radbot :allears:

• Locked thread