Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the Cool Post, Crowsbeak.

Myself, I "dug" through the genre until I hit Corb Lund and I'm pretty happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Is that horrible auto tune sound a result of the mash up or do those vocals actually sound that terrible?

It is all the same. That is the real complaint about whats played on the radio.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mr Interweb posted:

No such thing.

eat poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk
(gently caress you it's country)

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Is that horrible auto tune sound a result of the mash up or do those vocals actually sound that terrible?

I was assuming it was artifacts from any time compression or expansion of the regions so they all have the same tempo.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

eat poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk
(gently caress you it's country)

Well Steve Earle is a cool dude anyway, and a big-rear end lefty.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
You don't even have to go to far away from the mainstream to get good country. And the messages are far from exclusively rightwing, but the general distrust of authority that runs through the genre is pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGu7dEjPsg

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
poo poo, just listen to John Prine. He's been around since the seventies and just makes fun of right wing lunatics and other things all day long in his music.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Star Man posted:

poo poo, just listen to John Prine. He's been around since the seventies and just makes fun of right wing lunatics and other things all day long in his music.

Job Prine never struck me as political. All his songs seem to be about supremely relatable people who remind you of someone you know, and by the end of the song you feel slightly better about the world in a bittersweet sort of way and you don't know why.

He's the Dad Joke of music.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

To me country music is about conservative but decent, humble, goodhearted non-ideological people writing simple but beautiful songs about life that everyone can relate to. Even though people like Steve Earle are great i don't want to hear liberals singing country songs. In other words country music doesn't exist anymore. It's either dumb rah-rah nee-haw party down poo poo or pseudo-country hipster folk music.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Star Man posted:

Going to a street concert in Indy umpteen million years ago (Jammin' on Jersey for any old Hoosiers here) and stumbling across a John Prine concert (and specifically Lake Marie) is what turned me around on country/folk :allears:

I've always had a soft spot for singer/songwriters and folk is where a lot of them live.

edit - also Gram Parsons is required listening imho. For real country can be really really good, but it's never on the menu so you have to ask

beatlegs posted:

To me country music is about conservative but decent, humble, goodhearted non-ideological people writing simple but beautiful songs about life that everyone can relate to. Even though people like Steve Earle are great i don't want to hear liberals singing country songs. In other words country music doesn't exist anymore. It's either dumb rah-rah nee-haw party down poo poo or pseudo-country hipster folk music.

I dunno, even a lot of the really gritty old school stuff is pretty far left.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nyyen posted:

Job Prine never struck me as political. All his songs seem to be about supremely relatable people who remind you of someone you know, and by the end of the song you feel slightly better about the world in a bittersweet sort of way and you don't know why.

He's the Dad Joke of music.

"Some Humans Ain't Human" is pretty blatant about his politics.

Epic High Five posted:

Going to a street concert in Indy umpteen million years ago (Jammin' on Jersey for any old Hoosiers here) and stumbling across a John Prine concert (and specifically Lake Marie) is what turned me around on country/folk :allears:

I've always had a soft spot for singer/songwriters and folk is where a lot of them live.

edit - also Gram Parsons is required listening imho. For real country can be really really good, but it's never on the menu so you have to ask

Same. I used to have a clock radio and always had it set to Wyoming Public Radio. Sometime in 2010, I woke up to it and they were playing "Jesus: the Missing Years" on Wyoming Morning Music and I've been a fan ever since.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 25, 2016

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Star Man posted:

Amy Ray too since the early 80s, and she's an out lesbian.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pierson posted:

Reddit had a good discussion - or at least a few good posts that got upvoted - about country music recently that matched some of what you posted Crow:

Bolded for emphasis. The whole discussion is here.

Really that's a pretty good way to put it. The issue with "country" is that it has all of the symbols of actual country living but is cargo culting it. You see blue jeans, cowboy hats, trucks, and shotguns but not a lot of people pining for that simpler time have ever experienced it. I think this is one of the issues that the American right is having right now; their ideal no longer exists but they're clinging to the symbols while straying continually from what they actually mean. This is why I think you see so many dudebros out there driving huge trucks, wearing cowboy hats, and talking about how great farm life is while working in an office and never getting dirty.

Which really pegs the right wing pretty hard in general. They're clinging to the past and pining for a fantasy version that was never there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nyyen posted:

You don't even have to go to far away from the mainstream to get good country. And the messages are far from exclusively rightwing, but the general distrust of authority that runs through the genre is pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGu7dEjPsg

I'm always fascinated by country culture's simultaneous worship of police officers and soldiers and glorification of outlaws.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm always fascinated by country culture's simultaneous worship of police officers and soldiers and glorification of outlaws.

America: We just like confident, authoritative people with guns. :911:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If you all want to know more about country music, I really recommend Richard Peterson's "Creating Country Music: Fabricating Authenticity."

Country music from the start was about trying to manufacture something that would sound authentic.

Also, the reason for the cookie cutter type of country music over the past twenty years can be traced back to one thing: soundscan. When billboard shifted from creating its charts by calling managers at select stores (which tended to be in larger cities, etc) to one that relied on CD barcodes (soundscan) they, and the record industry, realized that country music had a much bigger market than previously thought.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really that's a pretty good way to put it. The issue with "country" is that it has all of the symbols of actual country living but is cargo culting it. You see blue jeans, cowboy hats, trucks, and shotguns but not a lot of people pining for that simpler time have ever experienced it. I think this is one of the issues that the American right is having right now; their ideal no longer exists but they're clinging to the symbols while straying continually from what they actually mean. This is why I think you see so many dudebros out there driving huge trucks, wearing cowboy hats, and talking about how great farm life is while working in an office and never getting dirty.

Which really pegs the right wing pretty hard in general. They're clinging to the past and pining for a fantasy version that was never there.

Yes, I think the fantasy aspect of it is very important. There's the past and The Past™. This is not anything unique to country music or right-wingers, but the mass marketing and glorification of a "simpler time" has been around for awhile. You see it in movies, TV shows, and commercials that make the 1950's out to be this idyllic time of peace, prosperity, and simplicity, as an example. There's a certain irony in it, for me, because if you look at certain aspects of pop culture from that era, there was a lot of optimism about the future. Looney Tunes and Disney had cartoons about what the future would look like, and all the modern conveniences that would be invented that would create prosperity and leisure for people, and all kinds of sci-fi was being written and produced that described humanity as an ambitious people who could conquer anything, even the final frontier of space. Cynicism and nostalgia are the In Thing today. You're not being sold and ideal future, you're being sold an ideal past.

I realized, as I was writing this, that I was kind of doing it myself, this glorification of the past. I admit that the breadth of my knowledge about what was considered pop culture during the 1950s and 60s is limited, but these are my own observations. As it relates to RWM, there's a feeling, for me, that that brand of American optimism isn't really wanted. American supremacy yes, USA #1 and all that jazz, but the sense that America, as a society, could work together to solve the problems of today and usher in the world of the future, well, that's not something that seems to be a priority. The problems of today can be solved by just reverting to the way we used to do things. Bring the past back, and today's problems will go away.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Southerners hate people criticizing them or telling them what to do, we like to view ourselves as independent. Outlaws can protect the southern identity by resisting authority. This is typically shown through people resisting banker's/government's attempts to take land or moonshiners skirting taxation. Police can protect the southern identity of racial segregation through the obvious methods. Police officers or soldiers who get all the songs written about them are seen as fellow southerners, those who are resisted by outlaws are typically not southern.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

Yes, I think the fantasy aspect of it is very important. There's the past and The Past™. This is not anything unique to country music or right-wingers, but the mass marketing and glorification of a "simpler time" has been around for awhile. You see it in movies, TV shows, and commercials that make the 1950's out to be this idyllic time of peace, prosperity, and simplicity, as an example. There's a certain irony in it, for me, because if you look at certain aspects of pop culture from that era, there was a lot of optimism about the future. Looney Tunes and Disney had cartoons about what the future would look like, and all the modern conveniences that would be invented that would create prosperity and leisure for people, and all kinds of sci-fi was being written and produced that described humanity as an ambitious people who could conquer anything, even the final frontier of space. Cynicism and nostalgia are the In Thing today. You're not being sold and ideal future, you're being sold an ideal past.

I realized, as I was writing this, that I was kind of doing it myself, this glorification of the past. I admit that the breadth of my knowledge about what was considered pop culture during the 1950s and 60s is limited, but these are my own observations. As it relates to RWM, there's a feeling, for me, that that brand of American optimism isn't really wanted. American supremacy yes, USA #1 and all that jazz, but the sense that America, as a society, could work together to solve the problems of today and usher in the world of the future, well, that's not something that seems to be a priority. The problems of today can be solved by just reverting to the way we used to do things. Bring the past back, and today's problems will go away.

The right very specifically pines for eras when they were in control and their ideals were the standard. Look at the times they love; the 19th century and the 1950's. White people and Christianity were totally in charge, passing purity laws was totally OK, and American traditions were viewed as the best poo poo ever. In particular they also adore the post-war era because America was basically the only world superpower at that point. The USSR came up to contest that and gave them a Great Enemy to fight.

The problem right now is that the progress is leading away from conservative values. Notice that the "future will be better" propaganda of the 1950's was showing a lily white world where mom was still a homemaker and was so loving happy to use all of these labor-saving devices to make her family happy. Dad was still a square-jawed, tall guy in a suit and a fedora who was in charge. They had an easier time getting to church on Sunday so they never skipped it and afterwards had a nice picnic in the park. A lot of that was "life will be exactly like today only easier." The ideal was that the culture is immutable but technology will make everything better so embrace the progress.

The right is resisting the change now because the culture is changing. They were resisting the changes even then if you look hard enough; all told that was why 1968 happened in America and why so many changes blew up. Now the right is hating the progress because those dirty loving plebs are demanding that they get a share of the bounty. Wages are stagnating even though they promised 60 years ago that we'd all have more now. Life is getting harder and poverty is increasing and the right is saying "no sorry you don't get that change gently caress you." Christianity is on the decline in America and the right doesn't like that. Society is becoming more open and permissive and the right doesn't like that. The 1950's household is no longer the absolute standard.

Ignoring that it absolutely never was the absolute standard.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The right very specifically pines for eras when they were in control and their ideals were the standard. Look at the times they love; the 19th century and the 1950's. White people and Christianity were totally in charge, passing purity laws was totally OK, and American traditions were viewed as the best poo poo ever. In particular they also adore the post-war era because America was basically the only world superpower at that point. The USSR came up to contest that and gave them a Great Enemy to fight.

The problem right now is that the progress is leading away from conservative values. Notice that the "future will be better" propaganda of the 1950's was showing a lily white world where mom was still a homemaker and was so loving happy to use all of these labor-saving devices to make her family happy. Dad was still a square-jawed, tall guy in a suit and a fedora who was in charge. They had an easier time getting to church on Sunday so they never skipped it and afterwards had a nice picnic in the park. A lot of that was "life will be exactly like today only easier." The ideal was that the culture is immutable but technology will make everything better so embrace the progress.

The right is resisting the change now because the culture is changing. They were resisting the changes even then if you look hard enough; all told that was why 1968 happened in America and why so many changes blew up. Now the right is hating the progress because those dirty loving plebs are demanding that they get a share of the bounty. Wages are stagnating even though they promised 60 years ago that we'd all have more now. Life is getting harder and poverty is increasing and the right is saying "no sorry you don't get that change gently caress you." Christianity is on the decline in America and the right doesn't like that. Society is becoming more open and permissive and the right doesn't like that. The 1950's household is no longer the absolute standard.

Ignoring that it absolutely never was the absolute standard.

Yes, I think you make an important point, that the nuclear Leave It to Beaver family achetype has been considered to be the absolute standard, and a lot of ink has been spilled over the belief that that standard is no longer held up as the be-all-end-all of family structure. I also think it's kind of funny that it's coming from people who simultaneously subscribe to the Reagan/Thatcher era conservatism of "so such thing as society". They clearly want that particular fantasized small-town society back where everyone knows everyone, while also preaching this gospel of individuality and social segregation.

You make a good point that the future was still considered to be that era, but easier, and still the lily-white, heteronormative 2.5 children family where he works and she stays at home. My point was that there was at least some outward momentum, where there was a sense of optimism and a future goal to achieve. Nostalgia marketing is much more in vogue, and probably has been for 20, perhaps even 30 years now. We have an entire generation that has had its childhood repackaged and sold back to it as soon as it ended.

But maybe I'm wrong in my observation that there is more emphasis on The Past™ than on the future, or even The Future™.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah. A lot of it is also 1) it's the Boomers that are entering their cranky old man/woman phase and we've never had that many people get old simultaneously before, so the sound of complaining about how everything today is such crap compared to the old days when everything was better is unusually loud and sustained, and 2) society really is changing on them, most specifically the way that white people are losing their complete dominance of everything, especially on the cultural level. Notice how much of Trump's message is about returning to an idealized past (Make American Great Again), and who his audience is made up of (older whites).

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Leofish posted:

But maybe I'm wrong in my observation that there is more emphasis on The Past™ than on the future, or even The Future™.

I think it's also depends on what some people see as what was promised for the future. To paraphrase something I once read, if you were born after 1980 you weren't promised hover boards and flying cars. You were promised an oppressive dystopian corporate hellscape.

Coupled with the fears of the future and climate change it's no wonder so many people are turning to the nostalgia trap since it's better to dwell upon the imagined past than our less than positive present and are bleak future. Not that old people pining for the days of when their kind ruled unopposed doesn't also factor into it. But I think there's a lot of factors for the pining of the old days of all age groups. Just look at 20 somethings and their love of the 90s.

Hell it could just be as simple as people are wishing for the imagined past of their childhood cause they were kids at the time and life can be pretty easy on kids who don't know about problems in society or have huge responsibilities

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KomradeX posted:

I think it's also depends on what some people see as what was promised for the future. To paraphrase something I once read, if you were born after 1980 you weren't promised hover boards and flying cars. You were promised an oppressive dystopian corporate hellscape.

This is kind of ridiculous if only because Back to the Future 2 came out in 1989, well after the cyberpunk movement started.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Rich Hall has some good documentaries that don't directly engage what you guys are talking about, but touch on a lot of the elements.

This moment in particular is also somewhat relevant to the no good country crowd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_G2VOBKXxM&t=2749s

They're also do a good job of covering how a lot of myths and outright fabrications used and perpetuated by westerns, country music, and southern and cowboy culture began.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOR8OdGfavg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheXnx02JYE

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem right now is that the progress is leading away from conservative values. Notice that the "future will be better" propaganda of the 1950's was showing a lily white world where mom was still a homemaker and was so loving happy to use all of these labor-saving devices to make her family happy.

The irony is that we could go back to things like this. It is completely possible. However, it won't be done because for all their pining about these good old days they forget what made them possible:

The wife could stay at home, clean the house, and rear the kids because her husband earned enough of an income to support a wife, 2.5 kids, a house, and a car.

In a whole mad house rush to get a leg-up on the economy, two-income families started being required to get ahead. Since the 70's? You need that to get by.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

This is kind of ridiculous if only because Back to the Future 2 came out in 1989, well after the cyberpunk movement started.

And that's one, very popular movie series, a movie series that I love. But Cyberpunk was the future for 80s. It's like saying pining for Leave it to Beaver makes no sense cause Threads came out in the early 60s and there were plenty of apocalyptic Sci-fi stories in the 50s.

Hell even the 2015 of Back to the Future 2 may have flying cars and hover boards but it was also firmly cyberpunk-esque. There's a reason in the future Marty's boss is Japanese

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KomradeX posted:

And that's one, very popular movie series, a movie series that I love. But Cyberpunk was the future for 80s. It's like saying pining for Leave it to Beaver makes no sense cause Threads came out in the early 60s and there were plenty of apocalyptic Sci-fi stories in the 50s.

Actually that is another good point, there's plenty of apocalyptic 50s & 60s fiction that was promised. You're just as likely to be promised a Fallout esque nuclear wasteland as Leave it to Beaver but with flying cars.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xanderkish posted:

I'm wondering how the rise in cookie cutter country music relates to the increasing fringe nature of conservative thinking. Like a lot of country music includes this yearning back to a simpler, more rural kind of place, where men are men and women are aids to men's orgasms. Is it getting so popular because a lot of conservatives are feeling threatened by the modern world and find it comforting?

personally i think it's the opposite - country is becoming more popular among disaffected quasi-rural white youth because it's largely turned to supporting mindless hedonism and reckless, youthful self image, like how rock started doing in the 70's-80's and rap started doing in the mid-90's

i mean there's not much difference between Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood, Snoop's Gin & Juice, and Dirt Road Anthem, the core statement of each of these songs is all about how drinking and drugs and sex are fun and that's about it

at the very least i think it's silly to say that conservatives are feeling threatened by the modern world and so like music that treats women like sex objects because in that framework how do you explain the entirety of 70's rock?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

The irony is that we could go back to things like this. It is completely possible. However, it won't be done because for all their pining about these good old days they forget what made them possible:

The wife could stay at home, clean the house, and rear the kids because her husband earned enough of an income to support a wife, 2.5 kids, a house, and a car.

In a whole mad house rush to get a leg-up on the economy, two-income families started being required to get ahead. Since the 70's? You need that to get by.

One of the major, major things that shifted was having two-income households meant that the labor supply became much larger. In the 70's this wasn't a huge issue as jobs were just freaking everywhere. I think my grandmother put it best when she said she "lived in the working man's best day." Her and my grandfather were not college educated but made enough money between them thanks to their labor jobs (she was a seamstress, he did factory work and carpentry) to afford 9 children and a massive house, a garage, a boat, and a workshop for my grandfather. Most of their children went to college and they helped them do it. They are doing OK but some of them struggle. The college educated ones are doing fine; the others it's a mixed bag.

Few of their grandchildren are doing well.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My rod and my abs comfort thee

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if anything i wonder if the explosion of bro-country and wild concert party scenes is a sign of increasing secularism among white conservative youth. i mean they're not doing anything new here, people have been getting drunk and doing drugs and hooking up at concerts forever, it's just that previously this wasn't associated with country music because country generally had a heavy moralistic christian tone that would severely frown on being intoxicated in public

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Star Man posted:

Nope, he was Air Force. Every marine and armchair general will make fun of you over it for being a nerd that never did anything.

They aren't wrong.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Here I was, with time to catch up on my favorite thread on SA and its a 10 page fuckfest about country music.

I like Johnny Cash and the theme song to True Detective season 1, thats about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leofish posted:

Yes, I think the fantasy aspect of it is very important. There's the past and The Past™. This is not anything unique to country music or right-wingers, but the mass marketing and glorification of a "simpler time" has been around for awhile. You see it in movies, TV shows, and commercials that make the 1950's out to be this idyllic time of peace, prosperity, and simplicity, as an example.

I was thinking about this the other day watching "Decades". It's a show where they go back and replay the news stories and footage of the current date and highlight things that were going in past years.

There were riots in the streets and in sports stadiums. The Olympics were invaded by terrorists. Reagan and Ford had attempts made on their lives. Serial killers, hijackings, bombings, hostages, mass shootings, nuclear threats, wars, natural disasters and power plant meltdowns. Diseases, drugs, energy shortages, economic collapses....all sorts of the same poo poo we see today.

But somehow the RWM media has co-opted the message that THESE are dangerous times and oh my God we're in dire peril vote for us or we're all gonna die and let's go back to the gold old days. If anything, things are better now then they've ever been; or at the very least much the same but everything I hear is constantly couched in fear and anger.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jesus Christ just listen to some Sturgill Simpson and shut the gently caress up about country music or make a thread for it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What I think is overlooked in regards to many problems in regards to country and other genres of music is this. We have seen DJ's around the country go from being able to pick out music to now being glorified ad readers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HS9Kpm7MPw&t=6m0s

Granted we've had several innovations that have come along in attempt to correct this problem, but a few of them have been (sadly) short lived in quite a few ways due to large corporations just having more control over things.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I don't give a single gently caress about country music, but it is clearly right wing media. Maybe you could find something else to talk about that people may want to engage in?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if anything i wonder if the explosion of bro-country and wild concert party scenes is a sign of increasing secularism among white conservative youth. i mean they're not doing anything new here, people have been getting drunk and doing drugs and hooking up at concerts forever, it's just that previously this wasn't associated with country music because country generally had a heavy moralistic christian tone that would severely frown on being intoxicated in public
They do all that stuff then in the next breath claim to be patriots and followers of Christ, as if that puts them above the behavior. Like most conservatives these days, they want the right to act like selfish assholes while claiming the moral high road.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I was thinking about this the other day watching "Decades". It's a show where they go back and replay the news stories and footage of the current date and highlight things that were going in past years.

There were riots in the streets and in sports stadiums. The Olympics were invaded by terrorists. Reagan and Ford had attempts made on their lives. Serial killers, hijackings, bombings, hostages, mass shootings, nuclear threats, wars, natural disasters and power plant meltdowns. Diseases, drugs, energy shortages, economic collapses....all sorts of the same poo poo we see today.

But somehow the RWM media has co-opted the message that THESE are dangerous times and oh my God we're in dire peril vote for us or we're all gonna die and let's go back to the gold old days. If anything, things are better now then they've ever been; or at the very least much the same but everything I hear is constantly couched in fear and anger.

Exactly!

I would go so far as to say the world is probably the safest it's ever been in human history. We've conquered most of the world's worst diseases, people are more educated than ever, travel has never been easier, crime is generally down across most jurisdictions in the Western world, life expectancy is up. Sure, the world isn't perfect, and there are still dangers to deal with, people still die unnecessarily and tragically, and we do have to face the issues of climate change and poverty, but I think in the measure of human progress we've done pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Country music isn't country music anymore. It's Rural music.