Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Trickjaw posted:

I wonder if he is on Ahab's side.

Moby Dick is the NHS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

I was hoping they'd given him one of the dusty as gently caress chapters where nothing happens but you get a lecture on the technical aspects of whaling. Turns out he's got one of the shortest chapters of the book where Ahab smokes a pipe, then doesn't smoke a pipe.
You know who else smoked a pipe, then didn't smoke a pipe?

Tony Benn.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

baka kaba posted:

Moby Dick is the NHS

It'll drag him down to the briny depths never to be seen again? :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure David Cameron's heart would do very much damage to macroscopic life even if you fired it out of a very large cannon.

Save possibly to mutually annihilate with the first air molecule it made contact with.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
A dead pig smoked David Cameron's pipe

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

baka kaba posted:

Ugh

I think we found the blowhole

This was four years ago, BK.

So presumably the recording is already out there somewhere, if anyone wants to listen to it.

Why would you want to listen to it, tho

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://soundcloud.com/moby-dick-big-read/chapter-30-the-pipe-read-by

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Barry Foster posted:

So presumably the recording is already out there somewhere, if anyone wants to listen to it.

Why would you want to listen to it, tho

It's here http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapter-30-the-pipe/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Totally wrong accent regardless of opinions of Cameron. Needs more West Country.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah that one passed me by though, although I'm not sure how I missed it!!!

That sounds exactly how I expected

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh look, some good news thanks to the Lords again

quote:

Tory bid to scrap income-related child poverty measures defeated in Lords by majority of 92

The government has just suffered a huge defeat in the Lords, where peers have voted by 290 votes to 198 - a majority of 92 - in favour of an amendment to the welfare bill to ordering the government to publish annual figures for income-related child poverty.

This undermines one of the main aims of the bill, which abolishes income-related child poverty targets.

And another day, another Danczuk

quote:

Rochdale Simon Danczuk has been reported to both the police and the parliamentary standards commissioner over thousands of pounds worth of ‘fraudulent’ expenses claims.

The backbencher - who in recent months has also been probed over huge overtime payments for his ex-wife Karen - appears to have claimed more than £25,000 in extra accommodation allowances since 2011 for his children, despite none of them living with him in London.

It is understood he has not seen two of them for several years.

quote:

Mr Danczuk admits he did not check the rules carefully and has said he would pay back anything he is found to owe.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Replace our entire state apparatus with unelected gerontocrats imo because theyre loving killing it lately.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
When are they scheduled to kick him out of the party officially?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The fact that those expenses have only just now come to light means the Labour party is clearly loving done with the guy.

quote:

Perhaps Ipsa’s rules are too vaguely worded and not flexible enough to cope with modern families like mine.

Danczuk is proof that cartoonishly evil bad guys are not actually unrealistic.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Especially ironic when according to his ex wife he has been dodging the CSA and refuses to help with his sons accomodation costs at uni.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Fans posted:

Danczuk is proof that cartoonishly evil bad guys are not actually unrealistic.

I think you are crediting him with more intelligence than gross arrogance.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Trickjaw posted:

I think you are crediting him with more intelligence than gross arrogance.

I think you need to be smart to be this stupid.

Meanwhile who want some good old fashioned political lies?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/24/george-osborne-meetings-media-rupert-murdoch-telegraph

quote:

Treasury records show that Osborne held two ministerial meetings with Murdoch in June 2015 and then another in September that year.

According to Cabinet Office guidance, ministerial meetings should be minuted if anything is discussed that either leads to a policy decision, requires any sort of follow-up action, or where any view is expressed that could be in any way useful to someone not present.

None of the meetings met any of those criteria, the Treasury said. Neither did talks with the BBC director general, Lord Hall, and his director of strategy, James Purnell, in May 2014, nor with the Telegraph Media Group chairman, Aidan Barclay, in July of that year, they said.

The same applied to a February 2015 meeting with Evgeny Lebedev, the owner of the Standard and Independent titles, others with Hall in June and July that year and talks with the Telegraph Media Group chief executive, Murdoch MacLennan, in September 2015, the Treasury said.

Officials did minute a meeting with the BBC director general in September 2015. The Treasury refused to release those records. To do so would not be in the public interest, it said.

Osborne met with Murdoch and the BBC director, but they didn't discuss anything important enough to write down and you know that because they didn't write anything down. Except that one time they did write something down, which the public isn't allowed to see because it'd give them ideas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oberleutnant posted:

Replace our entire state apparatus with unelected gerontocrats imo because theyre loving killing it lately.

Honestly, at this stage if the Lords had any actual policymaking power as opposed to just veto power, they would have held a constitutional convention and enacted PR by now.

:smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Especially ironic when according to his ex wife he has been dodging the CSA and refuses to help with his sons accomodation costs at uni.
I think he has other ideas about how teenagers should be able to afford further education costs.

:stonkhat:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Does anyone have a quick and easy rebuttal to people who pull the whole 'well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have to respect that because there is no right answer' thing? My mother is the worst for this, which I guess is preferable to being an out and out tory. It's frustrating because the only real response is 'no, they're wrong' which always ends with her eye rolling. I just hate how common the idea that we all have to tolerate toxic beliefs for the sake of politeness is.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 25, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dabir posted:

gently caress me Enda Kenny can talk for a long time without saying anything.

It is a skill every Irish political leader learns. Wouldn't want to do something hasty like give an opinion.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Although any of the chapters about multiculturalism would have been good, it's a real tragedy that he wasn't given chapter 95 to read.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

ThomasPaine posted:

Does anyone have a quick and easy rebuttal to people who pull the whole 'well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have to respect that because there is no right answer' thing? My mother is the worst for this, which I guess is preferable to being an out and out tory. It's frustrating because the only real response is 'no, they're wrong' which always ends with her eye rolling. I just hate how common the idea that we all have to tolerate toxic beliefs for the sake of politeness is.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-2/mswv2_03.htm

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tell me about it pal

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you certainly don't have to respect those opinions. If somebody is misinformed or has an interest that would bias their opinion (basically everyone) or is just plain stupid their opinion might well be wrong! Also, even if there is no definitively right answer, some answers are definitely more wrong than others. If you ask me what 2+2 is and I say "about 5" that's not entirely accurate, but it's not nearly as wrong as someone who says -300.17.

In short, no I don't know a good rebuttal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

You have the right to express your opinion, but you have no right to have anyone agree with that opinion, nor are you guaranteed an audience.

You also don't really have the right to have anyone like you as a person as a result of or in spite of your opinions.

So you can have any opinion you want but nobody has to listen to it or you.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

kustomkarkommando posted:

It is a skill every Irish political leader learns. Wouldn't want to do something hasty like give an opinion.

Also to be fair to Enda he must be shiteing it at the moment considering he could be about to be beaten by Sinn loving Fein in an election in a few months.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Act very childishly and any time she tries to tell you something just quote that back to her.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ThomasPaine posted:

Does anyone have a quick and easy rebuttal to people who pull the whole 'well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have to respect that because there is no right answer' thing?

That's their way of telling you they don't actually want to talk about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

Yes but they're wronngggggg.

On the internet in real liiifffffffe.

You can't just leave that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I've tried both of these but with certain people there seems to be this belief that in the absence of absolute objective scientific truth all opinions are equally valid. I know this is wrong, and I have repeatedly said 'no, free speech doesn't obligate respect for that speech', but some people just do not get this. I also find that they are the kind of people unwilling to listen to the relatively complex arguments as to why something is right/wrong that would be necessary to persuade them. This is their fault, not mine, but it's no less frustrating. This goes double for people who have their hearts in the right place and are fundamentally decent but just aren't overly political - the kind of people who when pressed can't really formulate WHY they think something is right or wrong, but clearly just run off a gut feeling that it is is or isn't. You can't just alienate them by calling them stupid and refusing to engage, but neither can you engage them in enough depth to realise the absurdity of their position. I'm entirely fine with calling a politically active right winger a moron and moving on, but when you're dealing with people who consider themselves non-political it's much more difficult. Most of them seem to have liberal definitions so deeply ingrained into their consciousness that it would be incredibly difficult to shake them. I suppose the best you can do is just keep hammering the message politely.

Fans posted:

Not always. This has very often been a point they volunteered after hearing me talking with something else/me making a throwaway comment that wasn't ever going to become a full discussion. Sometimes probably though, to be fair.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 25, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"How do you feel about people who think the only reason you should be allowed to live is because they can make money off your work?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I've tried both of these but with certain people there seems to be this belief that in the absence of absolute objective scientific truth all opinions are equally valid. I know this is wrong, and I have repeatedly said 'no, free speech doesn't obligate respect for that speech', but some people just do not get this. I also find that they are the kind of people unwilling to listen to the relatively complex arguments as to why something is right/wrong that would be necessary to persuade them. This is their fault, not mine, but it's no less frustrating. This goes double for people who have their hearts in the right place and are fundamentally decent but just aren't overly political - the kind of people who when pressed can't really formulate WHY they think something is right or wrong, but clearly just run off a gut feeling that it is is or isn't. You can't just alienate them by calling them stupid and refusing to engage, but neither can you engage them in enough depth to realise the absurdity of their position. I'm entirely fine with calling a politically active right winger a moron and moving on, but when you're dealing with people who consider themselves non-political it's much more difficult. Most of them seem to have liberal definitions so deeply ingrained into their consciousness that it would be incredibly difficult to shake them. I suppose the best you can do is just keep hammering the message politely.
Something along the lines of 'The right to free speech must implicitly include the right to rebut the content of that speech, otherwise you're specifically asking for unequal free speech.'

big scary monsters posted:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you certainly don't have to respect those opinions. If somebody is misinformed or has an interest that would bias their opinion (basically everyone) or is just plain stupid their opinion might well be wrong! Also, even if there is no definitively right answer, some answers are definitely more wrong than others. If you ask me what 2+2 is and I say "about 5" that's not entirely accurate, but it's not nearly as wrong as someone who says -300.17.

In short, no I don't know a good rebuttal.
"When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Something along the lines of 'The right to free speech must implicitly include the right to rebut the content of that speech, otherwise you're specifically asking for unequal free speech.'

"When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

I like this, cheers!

e: Though I suppose the problem with the second one is that it's something that can be objectively discredited. Political stuff can't really in the same way.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

Also to be fair to Enda he must be shiteing it at the moment considering he could be about to be beaten by Sinn loving Fein in an election in a few months.

Weeks now. Smart money is at the end of February but they are dragging out announcing a date.

In fairness Enda is probably going to get back in, but with some kind of Frankenstein's monster of government stitched together from god knows what that might fall apart before the end of the year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I like this, cheers!

e: Though I suppose the problem with the second one is that it's something that can be objectively discredited. Political stuff can't really in the same way.

Not all of it, perhaps, but an overwhelming amount of the stuff you're likely to disagree with can be pretty strongly discredited, otherwise you wouldn't disagree with it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

ThomasPaine posted:

I like this, cheers!

Not always. There is no doubt that four cunts from the 80s Tory government are dead, and that is a reason to smile. If only the current retinue matched it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ThomasPaine posted:

I like this, cheers!

The non-existence of an impartial universal standard of morality doesn't afford any kind of protection to repugnant politics.

If someone tries to argue it does you may as well just rub that meek hitler ragecomic in their face. Which will probably only get you accused of hyperbole, or an "oh well obviously genocide is bad :rolleyes:", but this at least establishes that they don't really believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and that there does somewhere exist a line in the sand beyond which action is required. Once they admit the existence of the line, you should have a much easier time moving it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel that's part of the issue, it's less that people won't acknowledge the line, they just are intentionally remaining ignorant of how clear cut it is in everyday life for the sake of being "apolitical".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Yeah, it's a deflection used usually because people don't want to talk about it or think about it too much. I'm sure your mum isn't actually a total nihilist, ThomasPaine.

• Locked thread