Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Maybe she just was a crazy lesbian i don't know. Both her and Valentine were rotten to the core so them abusing power doesn't surprise me.
Some people just don't like rape stuff in their media and thats totally ok i guess ? v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that poo poo was funny as hell to me. what is there even to say about it?

wrapped up in SBR's themes is also Christian mythology. I want to say Lucy is meant to be fulfilling a Mary/Mary Magdalene role in terms of being a young woman not in control of what's happening with her body and having a great responsibility but instead it's "everyone wants a piece of this 14-year-old"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's just an hedonist. She's not really in the know about what Valentine is doing and gets off on being the presidents wife and all that entails. There's like a 100% chance Araki wasn't thinking "I need to make sure this is an accurate representation of a bisexual woman", but he probably was thinking "this woman knows what she wants and because she gets it due to being Mrs. Valentine, she's not afraid to ask for it, reasonable or bizarre." She's also around for like 10 chapters if that and needed to be remotely memorable for the sake of recognition. If she were a wallflower, you'd not remember her at all.

The creepiest poo poo in SBR is Mountain "Why do some people think I'm Speedwagon 2 there are no similarities at all until I get my scar and the Speedwagon Foundation exists in this universe" Tim and his obsession with her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually forgot about her entirely until someone brought her up, so Araki did not do a very good job of making her memorable for any reason other than being a lunatic which we already have a lot of in this series sooooo. Like I'm not even asking for representation of whatever, she's just strange and out of place.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Baal posted:

Even from a fanservice perspective that whole character is just loving weird. It's a scene that comes out of nowhere, provides nothing, and isn't even really that sexy because Scarlet's behavior is just so loving chaotic. She's just a really weird character from every avenue.
Yeah, this too.

also, hot pants was on the scene at that point and also working to infiltrate valentine's home which means that we could have had some scarlet x hot pants fanservice instead, an idea that i have explored in my fanfic (not safe for work) entitled hot panties

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to clarify, i don't think araki is an rear end in a top hat for putting her in there or anything and i don't think he has some vendetta going on or whatever. it's just understandable if people get weirded out by it, kinda like the whole alessi thing in arc 3. was araki making him out to be a pedophile? no. will some people still get creeped out by the overall vibe in a pretty bad way? yes. i thought her characterization of falling in love with valentine for really strange reasons was pretty memorable enough and she served as a means for lucy to sneak into the place, so throwing in the other stuff just felt unnecessary. it's mostly just disappointing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some like it Red Hot would be a better title imo and keep with the referential nature of JoJo

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Baal posted:

Some like it Red Hot would be a better title imo and keep with the referential nature of JoJo
poo poo, you're right: I will give you credit.

Reminder: Hot Pants died like a chump in such an unremarkable way that I didn't realize she was dead for several pages, she is not playable in EoH, and I'm like 99.9% sure she won't get a SAS figure when they get around to doing the SBR ones. Hot Pants was robbed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just that Araki thing where a thing will just happen and you will really have no idea something actually happened until someone brings it up. Like who remembers the old man that was focused on to ominously end a chapter in Vento Aureo that was never brought up again?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

Araki did not do a very good job of making her memorable for any reason other than being a lunatic which we already have a lot of in this series sooooo.

Not at all untrue, but if you sat down and thought about JoJo as a whole, this is probably true of a lot of characters you might actually like a lot who are a lot more interesting than Scarlet Valentine. I don't see that as a huge condemnation of her. How many dudes are actually pretty cool but forgotten about because their Stands are way better, for example?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember almost nothing about Vento Aureo, actually.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I think Mrs. Valentine's greatest flaw is that she's in the same arc as a man that weaponizes balloon doggies and as such she gets completely overshadowed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean that's true, but with dude's like Ghiaccio you have his entire introduction scene where he's monologuing about the distinction between Paris and Italy for like no reason. It's a really weird and quirky conversation, but it kind of sets up how neurotic and bizarre his behavioral patterns are very well.

That being said, most people don't even remember the dude's name, so that might not be the best example.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Baal posted:

It's just that Araki thing where a thing will just happen and you will really have no idea something actually happened until someone brings it up. Like who remembers the old man that was focused on to ominously end a chapter in Vento Aureo that was never brought up again?
I have read VA twice in the last year and I don't remember this at all.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Mountain Tim is, however, a giant creeper and I never liked him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will never forget that time weird dimensional space alien monsters started oozing out of nearby citizens for like a few pages and then was promptly forgotten

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

I mean that's true, but with dude's like Ghiaccio you have his entire introduction scene where he's monologuing about the distinction between Paris and Italy for like no reason. It's a really weird and quirky conversation, but it kind of sets up how neurotic and bizarre his behavioral patterns are very well.

That being said, most people don't even remember the dude's name, so that might not be the best example.

I think Vento Aureo is something of an exception in a couple of ways due to the poo poo translation being super forgettable itself, where as Duwang was memorable for being funny bad and the language barrier for a lot of English readers. Italian names are a little samey if bombarded with with them.

Something like this for example might be good at figuring something like which characters you can remember/which stands you like more than their users etc.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/InfiniteZeke/jojos-bizarre-adventure-stands-including-jojolion

I think the best I ever did was like 80%, but that was before the JJL twins and Damo were added for sure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amaryllis posted:

I have read VA twice in the last year and I don't remember this at all.

I wish I could remember what chapter it was, but that poo poo absolutely did happen and it was so weird

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Baal posted:

I wish I could remember what chapter it was, but that poo poo absolutely did happen and it was so weird
Oh, I believe you: seeing something that looks like a plot hook and then never having it come up again is a classic Araki Thing. I'm just trying to avoid the temptation to go through each volume--they are sitting on the bookshelf next to me--and try to figure out where it happened so that I can laugh about it.

e: Honestly, I've bitched about how the arc doesn't quite stick the landing, but VA has some absolutely sick battles and it's actually really funny in places and memorable on the whole, and I hope people will go back and re-read it when the coloured adventure people retranslate it and try not to let the lovely old translation cloud their appreciation of it.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 25, 2016

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
JJBA makes 1000% more sense if you just imagine Araki reading a random page from an encyclopedia or trivia book before beginning a chapter so he can flaunt this newfound knowledge to you, the reader.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol I got 124 of them before I petered out on Part 7 and 8, tbf to me I haven't read Part 8 since shakedown round ended

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait I just remembered Planet Waves, make that 125

Also some dude named Gatta in Part 4 who I can't remember for the life of me

126, just remembered King Nothing

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That one's Stray Cat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot the cat's name, rip

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amaryllis posted:

poo poo, you're right: I will give you credit.

Reminder: Hot Pants died like a chump in such an unremarkable way that I didn't realize she was dead for several pages, she is not playable in EoH, and I'm like 99.9% sure she won't get a SAS figure when they get around to doing the SBR ones. Hot Pants was robbed.

I read it recently and it felt like there was a page missing or something, since she's given a single panel that looks more like a reaction shot then a death. Diego's death was also the same way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

To be fair, I don't remember that cat ever actually being named. As soon as he dies and becomes a plant, he's pretty much exclusively referred to by his stand's name, I think.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's like how barely anyone knows the name of the orangutan because it was never actually directly named in the series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay so here's the ones I missed

Gyro's first stand, Oyecomova, Pork Pie Hat Kid, Hot Pants, Blackmore, Soundman, 11 Nameless Men, MIke O., Magenta Magenta, Lucy Steel, Sasame Ojiro, Shakedown Road, Tsurugi, Yotsuyu and every character after Norisuke IV I haven't seen yet, so yeah

I thought Love Train would be in there some where, but nope

Green Baby and Miu Miu were the only two Part 6 chars I didn't know the stand names of, but you wouldn't know Green Baby's unless you read Jojonium, but I have and just forgot his since I got the Boom Boom Family and Pocoloco's fine

85% ain't too bad tho, I feel

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Love Train is D4C's thing. I'm not sure why that wasn't listed as it's own field, unlike Kira who got 3 fields, but eh. Lucy's stand is actually called "Ticket to Ride".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Vento Aureo is something of an exception in a couple of ways due to the poo poo translation being super forgettable itself, where as Duwang was memorable for being funny bad and the language barrier for a lot of English readers. Italian names are a little samey if bombarded with with them.

Something like this for example might be good at figuring something like which characters you can remember/which stands you like more than their users etc.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/InfiniteZeke/jojos-bizarre-adventure-stands-including-jojolion

I think the best I ever did was like 80%, but that was before the JJL twins and Damo were added for sure.

I just tried it and got 146 of 150. The ones I couldn't remember were Oyecomova's Boku no Rhythm wo Kiitekure, Elder Aphex Brother's Schottkey No.1, Younger Aphex Brother's Schottkey No.2, and Tamaki Damo's Vitamin C. I could vaguely remember all except Vitamin C, but I couldn't remember the exact spelling of the other 3.

I think it would be a lot harder if it gave you the Stands instead and you had to name the users.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Get on my level.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Wild Horses posted:

Mountain Tim is, however, a giant creeper and I never liked him.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It's almost the same poo poo as Joshuu, but Joshuu is supposed to a Nice Guy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The spelling of Schott-key changed in Vol.11 so that might mix up memory, though it does seem to accept both spellings.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I legit put in Going Underground because I remember that name more than Born This Way and it accepted it and I chuckled

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nobody will ever get a perfect on this quiz unless they cheat because I can't imagine anyone bothering to remember Boku no Rhythm wo Kiitekure.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It's almost the same poo poo as Joshuu, but Joshuu is supposed to a Nice Guy.

I must have forgotten a lot, cause I don't remember Mountain Tim coming off as a creep. From what I remember, he was trying to protect Lucy.

edit:

quote:

Tim eventually confesses to Lucy Steel his love for her.
Huh.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 25, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mountain Tim tells Lucy he's in love with her, which is a little weird since she's 14 and he's 31.

Never actually does anything creepy or untoward besides that, but that's probably enough to skeve out most people.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I don't like mountain Tim

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Timed poo poo makes me forget a lot of obvious answers. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009