Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's honestly more of a commentary on and examination of the patriarchy than an endorsement of it, but I don't know if that was intentional.

You play as an extremely competent woman who could easily resolve the situation but is held back and has progress impedes at every opportunity by a man, and by taking part in his power structure. Once she throws off the shackles and stops looking to him for authorization she easily and immediately solves the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
actually my favorite thing about other m is that there's a hard mode, and it's identical to normal mode except all the pickups are gone. but there's a bonus boss that you can only fight after 100% item collection, which means hard mode just doesn't have that fight

greatn posted:

I think it's honestly more of a commentary on and examination of the patriarchy than an endorsement of it, but I don't know if that was intentional.

You play as an extremely competent woman who could easily resolve the situation but is held back and has progress impedes at every opportunity by a man, and by taking part in his power structure. Once she throws off the shackles and stops looking to him for authorization she easily and immediately solves the problems.

most people's problem with this is that she only stops looking for authorization when she has no other options

okay i'm done i promise please help

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't mind her listening to him in terms of

a) Only going to areas he said are clear, since it was essentially a Galactic Police quarantined area and she was only invited along because she was useful and had no official business doing there and at any point Adam had every right to tell her to just leave.

b) Telling Samus not to go overboard in her super scientific alien technology until she absolutely had to makes sense since it is a rescue mission and Adam hadn't seen her since she was a young cadet. Using Superbombs and such could vaporize anyone she wants to rescue.

The other stuff though, such as her life support systems... that is just lazy.

Like, I get that it was a clever way to bar off items and, if done competently it was a good way to do it opposed to just "ah drat I dropped all my powerups again!". It just was very lazy in doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Samus, please don't use your weapon that literally blows holes in the space station until we're sure we need to" is fine. "Samus, please go through the lava area without your lava suit" is hahaha gently caress you.

As is the "Hey, that alien got away. There's a grapple point but... nah. Nah. Come back instead. No Grapple Beam for you."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I always thought it was weird how offended people got at the authorization "system" when, you know, there is no system. It's just the stupidest possible excuse for why Samus is gaining these random powerups on her adventure. Gameplaywise nothing has changed, besides perhaps diminishing the excitement of finding said powerup on your own instead of being randomly given it when the game feels like it. And you do still get some stuff that way too.

Mostly because there's way worse things in Other M to get offended at.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's mostly because of poo poo like going through the area with extreme heat and suffering damage that could both kill her and easily be nullified if Samus just activated the Varia Suit, but refuses to because Adam hadn't authorized it. Though, I suppose that's really more the fault of the writing, but it's still incredibly dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I always thought it was weird how offended people got at the authorization "system" when, you know, there is no system. It's just the stupidest possible excuse for why Samus is gaining these random powerups on her adventure. Gameplaywise nothing has changed, besides perhaps diminishing the excitement of finding said powerup on your own instead of being randomly given it when the game feels like it. And you do still get some stuff that way too.

The actual system would be fine with better writing, basically. It just stands out because the writing and the system go together to make it a lot worse than it could be. You could do the same system in a clever way if you wrote around it.

Honestly if I had to do it, without any previous Other M, what I'd do is have the space station still be populated/semi-populated and as poo poo gets worse and worse Samus has less and less to hold back with until by the end the entire place is nothing but monsters and corpses and she's blowing holes in walls and firing deadly plasma like it's going out of style. Basically go full Alien on it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

authorization is a writing problem. the writing is by far the worst element of other m

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The actual system would be fine with better writing, basically. It just stands out because the writing and the system go together to make it a lot worse than it could be. You could do the same system in a clever way if you wrote around it.

Honestly if I had to do it, without any previous Other M, what I'd do is have the space station still be populated/semi-populated and as poo poo gets worse and worse Samus has less and less to hold back with until by the end the entire place is nothing but monsters and corpses and she's blowing holes in walls and firing deadly plasma like it's going out of style. Basically go full Alien on it.

I think the authorization system can work too, but how it should go is lasting riiiight up until Samus sees the first edge case she can use as an excuse. Boss jumped across a massive gap? "Activating the Space Jump Boots, no choice, sorry :smuggo:."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the authorization system can work too, but how it should go is lasting riiiight up until Samus sees the first edge case she can use as an excuse. Boss jumped across a massive gap? "Activating the Space Jump Boots, no choice, sorry :smuggo:."

That would be pretty hilarious too.

"Sorry boss, no choice. Gotta get through this door. Equipping Super Missiles!" "Samus, there's a button to open it rig..." "Sorry Adam, I can't hear you over the sound of the door exploding!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Adam-sama, you didn't authorize condoms. I'm pregnant.

Lady, abortions are now authorized.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Let's agree to not talk about other m

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I got Other M for $5 new and played through it. I thought the gameplay itself was okay even if holding the Wiimote sideways was stiff and uncomfortable, and the graphics were really good for a Wii game. The writing and story were as terrible as everyone says but I had a decent amount of fun playing the actual game and shooting all these Super Metroid badguys in 3D.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It might have also been nice if we actually saw evidence of this super powerful suit actually being dangerous in ways that connected to the various powerups you could have authorized. Super Missiles gouging out huge chunks of a room, the plasma beam carving a hole from one room to the next, screw attack tears open part of the station and you have to make your way back inside, that sort of thing. Just tons of incidental damage that really shows off how ridiculous the power suit is next to Private Remember Me's standard issue mook suit.

That would require not only better writing, but a better console to really pull off, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

That would require not only better writing, but a better console to really pull off, though.

You could have that be a pre-rendered cutscene and then console specs don't even matter.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChaosArgate posted:

You could have that be a pre-rendered cutscene and then console specs don't even matter.

True, but I think that sort of thing works better if you see it in gameplay and are directly responsible for it. The whole concern about the Samus being on the station was that she might actually damage something important or kill friendlies, so she agrees to toning poo poo down a little.

Hell, you could make it be some sort of indicator at the end of the game on how reckless you are, making it possible to do a fairly 'clean' run of the mission without completing making GBS threads up the station beyond what the enemies themselves do to it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
prerendered cutscenes are a blight and no game should have them

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure a lot of Other M cutscenes are prerendered. That's why it was on a dual-layer disc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Let's agree to not talk about other m

I like talking about Other M

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

It might have also been nice if we actually saw evidence of this super powerful suit actually being dangerous in ways that connected to the various powerups you could have authorized. Super Missiles gouging out huge chunks of a room, the plasma beam carving a hole from one room to the next, screw attack tears open part of the station and you have to make your way back inside, that sort of thing. Just tons of incidental damage that really shows off how ridiculous the power suit is next to Private Remember Me's standard issue mook suit.

Metroid fusion already does this with SA-X straight up blowing apart doors with super missles in its intro

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This an a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46tGehnfo

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Your link is broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46tGehnfo

Edit: Or not? It was broken when I tried it but it looks ok.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Sticker Star was great, sorry everyone is hung up on dumb partner poo poo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

that owns

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

katkillad2 posted:

Sticker Star would've been great if battles had any meaning or function whatsoever and if boss battles were notoriously vague on how to win with the large stickers. If they had fixed those things it woud've been a great game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

Counterpoint: Sticker Star was crap and the inclusion of partners would not change that.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

greatn posted:

Which problems did she solve, exactly? It wasn't the metroids, Adam did that. It wasn't Ridley, the Metroid Queen ate him. It wasn't stopping the ship's collision course with Earth, Anthony did that. And it wasn't MB, because she was about to meekly stand by and let the obviously-evil officer guy take her away until Anthony stepped in and caught him in a regulations technicality.

Sure, during gameplay she kills a lot of monsters, but as far as the story is concerned she, what, opens a door and turns on the lights? And then the marines take care of almost everything else. I'm not the sure the outcome would've even been different if she hadn't shown up.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

greatn posted:

I just figured Samus viewed him as a surrogate parent figure and listened to him out of respect and due to the saftey concerns of using Power Bombs in enclosed spaces when you may or may not have allies nearby. And to counter all the complaints of her getting rid of all of her weapons and upgrades between missions. At least I'm assuming that was the intention. The execution was sloppy regardless of what was planned.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

I just figured Samus viewed him as a surrogate parent figure and listened to him out of respect and due to the saftey concerns of using Power Bombs in enclosed spaces when you may or may not have allies nearby. And to counter all the complaints of her getting rid of all of her weapons and upgrades between missions. At least I'm assuming that was the intention. The execution was sloppy regardless of what was planned.

i don't think anybody ever really complained about losing powerups between games so much as they'd joke around about it, but either way retro came up with three better reasons

also i just bought zero mission and that's really cool imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

i don't think anybody ever really complained about losing powerups between games so much as they'd joke around about it, but either way retro came up with three better reasons

What was Prime 3's reason?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If Nintendo make a proper new Metroid game, they should probably wisely retcon and ignore Other M. That game doesn't even fit into the continuity of the Japanese developed Metroid games, nevermind the Prime games since it completely screws up the continuity with Metroid Fusion, since that game's big plot twist was the exact same as Other M's and it even ruins the characterization of the prequel manga where Samus's backstory comes from when she encounters Ridley.

Other M can only really work in a vacuum where Super Metroid and itself are the only games in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

To be fair I'm not really sure "Samus rammed into a wall really hard and it made all her powerups explode" was really much better.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SilverSupernova posted:

Counterpoint: Sticker Star was crap and the inclusion of partners would not change that.

Pretty much my opinion on it. I was willing to look at it on its own merits, but I just don't like how it plays overall. A lot of it really feels unrefined, like the battle system. With a bit more thought put into it, it could've been a fun game, but I just didn't enjoy it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

What was Prime 3's reason?

all the cool stuff from the last game was on loan from the moth aliens

basically taurus oxford's av

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zero Mission is probably the best metroid game ever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maybe Samus just gets rid of her powerups sometimes so she can start an adventure fresh, like Ash when he goes to a new region in the anime.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I'm not really sure "Samus rammed into a wall really hard and it made all her powerups explode" was really much better.

at least it's kinda funny instead of indicative of weird psychological problems

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Yea, it was

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm pretty sure "kinda funny" was most people's response to that part of Prime 1's intro. The loss of weapons between games had only ever been treated as a joke rather than a serious writing problem, because it's a videogame and story can't always mesh perfectly with game mechanics. When Retro actually addressed it, that just felt more like a knowing wink to the fans than anything else, and it only got funnier with each instalment.

Then Sakamoto decided he was going to do that too, but his idea was unsatisfying because of the idea that you already have all the cool gear and just aren't being allowed to use it yet. The way it undermines what the Adam-Samus relationship was supposed to be like and makes him feel more like an abusive father is just icing on the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm pretty sure "kinda funny" was most people's response to that part of Prime 1's intro. The loss of weapons between games had only ever been treated as a joke rather than a serious writing problem, because it's a videogame and story can't always mesh perfectly with game mechanics. When Retro actually addressed it, that just felt more like a knowing wink to the fans than anything else, and it only got funnier with each instalment.

Then Sakamoto decided he was going to do that too, but his idea was unsatisfying because of the idea that you already have all the cool gear and just aren't being allowed to use it yet. The way it undermines what the Adam-Samus relationship was supposed to be like and makes him feel more like an abusive father is just icing on the cake

Like I said earlier, part of it made sense in the fact that using Super missiles and power bombs in enclosed spaces when you have 5 or 6 allies investigating the area with you is not exactly a smart idea. But then there was "Samus, disable the part of your suit that protects you from convection and run around the Pyrosphere for an hour."

• Locked thread