Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Any of that stuff on Netflix anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Legend of the Galactic Heroes never got an official US release, but the entire thing has an excellent fansub and it's on Youtube. The link in my post above has them all on a playlist. There's a prequel movie called "My Conquest is The Sea of Stars," that seems to have been removed from youtube, but it's not a necessary watch. And there was another movie that remade the first three episodes in better animation, but I can't seem to find that either.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

They both ended up making stories about fighting Space Fascism in the late 70s (Gundam came out in 79, Star Wars in 77), and both had beam/light sabers and psychic teenagers and were critical of imperialism (George of the Vietnam War, Tomino of the old Imperial Japan).
I always found the similarities between Luke Skywalker and Amuro Ray pretty interesting. Technical geniuses from backwaters who end up with magic psychic powers that let them do crazy space stuff in a devastating civil war that's already well underway. Both want to be heroes, but invariably end up making things worse for everyone when they try. You could even draw some clean parallels between their story arcs (MSG/Zeta/CCA vs ANH/ESB/ROTJ).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are bits of LoGH where it gets really close to feeling like the tie fighter anime people want.

If you like history or space operas than yeah LoGH is a must watch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You can certainly draw parallels between Newtypes, who are a new form of mankind that could bring peace through understanding and wordless communications but end up wasted as tools of war and not changing anything and the old Jedi Order, who lost their way and ended up fighting a needless war instead of bringing the Peace they claimed to want.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

There are bits of LoGH where it gets really close to feeling like the tie fighter anime people want.

If you like history or space operas than yeah LoGH is a must watch.

This guy knows what's up.

Yeah, it gets close to that. There's lots of badass scenes of people jumping out of their fighter ships into enemy ships and hacking them up with axes and swords. The casualties in even the smallest space battles are in the millions. The violence is brutal too. People gathering up their intestines while crying out for their mommies.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For some reason this is all reminding me of House, where the older generation traumatized by the horror of war literally consumes a younger generation that's incapable of relating to their war experiences on any terms more sophisticated than romantic fairy tales.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

He was sleepwalking through most of his scenes in TFA, just like he was sleepwalking through the scenes he clearly care about in Crystal Skull. If you couldn't see that Ford was having a genuinely good time acting opposite Shia LaBeouf, I don't know what to tell you. He didn't have nearly the same amount of natural chemistry with either of the young leads in TFA, as good as they both were on their own.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised how much praise Harrison Ford is getting for The Force Awakens. It didn't seem that far from the sort of stuff he was doing in late-career garbage like Firewall or whatever.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
BABY I'M DOOKAN

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I dunno. I think if I was a kid his "It's real, all of it," speech that would have stuck with me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I'm a little surprised how much praise Harrison Ford is getting for The Force Awakens. It didn't seem that far from the sort of stuff he was doing in late-career garbage like Firewall or whatever.

His best stuff in TFA was with Chewbacca, but a lot of that is because Chewbacca is the best part of the movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When Chewbacca did his little head tilt at the end I just knew it was Peter Mayhew, im glad that man is getting paid at this stage in his life. Better than doing stupid cons. :unsmith:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Better than doing stupid cons. :unsmith:

There are worse things to be paid for than showing up, being yourself in comfortable clothing, shaking some hands, and going home.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

I don't hold any malice towards Cnut, and he's by far one of the better posters to post their readings ITT, but I don't think he's going to be winning many people over with his suggestion that Harrison Ford gave a better performance in Crystal "Part Time?" Skull than The Force Awakens.

Ford's delivery of "PArt Time" is exactly the same as his delivery of "YOU're Cold".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

homullus posted:

There are worse things to be paid for than showing up, being yourself in comfortable clothing, shaking some hands, and going home.

I bet it sucks a lot more than that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

kiimo posted:

I bet it sucks a lot more than that.

I have no doubt that the travel is a real grind, and knowing that you can't really coast if you want to maximize your income is certainly hard. Probably can't post on SA on your lunch break. That said, compared to sitting 50+ hrs/week under fluorescent lighting also doing something you don't like...?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am sure he'd rather be acting.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The dude is basically a cripple now. Did you see him going on stage in any of his appearances? He stands for about three seconds then has to sit down. The cons are probably a lot of stress on him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ford's delivery of "PArt Time" is exactly the same as his delivery of "YOU're Cold".

That makes sense though. If you sarcastically retorting someone by exaggerating that it's them that's cold, you say 'you're cold'. Not 'you're cold'.

See, Han was actually much colder than Chewie. That is the joke of the line and why he put emphasis on the word 'you're'.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cnut is a loving terrible poster who shits up every page of this thread with literally thousands of words that are all saying "I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level".

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Cnut is a loving terrible poster who shits up every page of this thread with literally thousands of words that are all saying "I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level".

O_O

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, ok.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

Tezzor?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

Tezzor is a loving terrible poster who shits up every page of this thread with literally thousands of words that are all saying "I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level".

ftfy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tender Bender posted:

i don't think that is tru-

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level.

I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level.

I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level.

I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level.

I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level. I'm unable to understand the simplest film conventions or cinematic language on any level.

wait-a-minute, what the hell?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PBS Newshour posted:

wait-a-minute, what the hell?

Did you just put on a kickin' rad pair of sunglasses?

This is important.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

We don't actually know if Han was really negligent. We have no idea what actually happened. That's the problem. We have no idea whether he's really facing karmic justice, or if he's dying heroically trying to save a son whose descent into evil he bears no ultimate responsibility for. It's a bad capstone for Han's character because the movie makes no effort to flesh out either Han's or Kylo's characters in anything more than a superficial, perfunctory way. What we're left with is Han Solo being murdered by his son in the first and last scene they ever share together, for reasons that remain totally unclear. That's not a hard scene to write. I could write that scene.

Like how can you read this and say "yes I want to read three posts per page of this guy yammering on about how he doesn't understand anything a movie for children is blatantly spelling out for him"?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Phylodox posted:

Did you just put on a kickin' rad pair of sunglasses?

This is important.

Yeah, some crazy dude just gave them to me. He said "The Ring Cycle is false and Lucas is a hack" as he handed them to me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like reading it more than "look at these posts in a thread that I do not like".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

PBS Newshour posted:

Yeah, some crazy dude just gave them to me. He said "The Ring Cycle is false and Lucas is a hack" as he handed them to me.

Okay, this is even more important.

Do you have any bubblegum?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Only my R2DChew, but I'm about out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tender Bender posted:

Like how can you read this and say "yes I want to read three posts per page of this guy yammering on about how he doesn't understand anything a movie for children is blatantly spelling out for him"?

Can you tell us what you disagree with?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anytime someone disagrees tho they are shouted down and declared crazy, like Tezzor.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This thread is getting really weird. Not six months ago the general consensus was 'the stuff SMG posts is mostly nonsense and doesn't make the films good, but points for trying and producing an interesting take on things'.

Now it's like a slow indoctrination has finally taken hold and non-believers are shunned like the scum they are.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"I thought Anakin was a weak character in the prequels. Therefore I do not like them"

"Actually...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque pharetra sit amet turpis et luctus. Nullam non ultricies velit. Sed lacus elit, porttitor vitae semper in, interdum at sem. Suspendisse nisl risus, blandit eget viverra eu, accumsan vel nisl. Suspendisse nec quam nisi. Duis gravida vel lorem ut accumsan. Suspendisse rhoncus urna ac velit cursus, quis mollis nibh consequat. Praesent dictum dui eu nibh rhoncus luctus. Phasellus urna nisl, commodo vel quam nec, semper sodales sem. Nunc eu dui nec metus faucibus mollis sit amet ut risus. Cras at orci mauris.

Ut enim eros, vestibulum non maximus vel, blandit vehicula quam. Maecenas in elit non felis semper placerat. Duis ac libero leo. Aenean quis diam Yipee, varius arcu eu, rutrum augue. Praesent et turpis tortor. Maecenas efficitur nisl et orci hendrerit pulvinar. Nam convallis pulvinar ante, eget pretium odio egestas quis. Integer non ante leo. Ut bibendum massa ac lorem tempus rhoncus. Mauris mollis ante sed diam vestibulum congue. Nulla vel ipsum quam. Sed suscipit mattis ligula eget vestibulum. Praesent aliquam laoreet tristique. Aenean pulvinar pretium massa vitae bibendum.

Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per Depth, per inceptos himenaeos. Fusce diam enim, facilisis sed odio pellentesque, aliquam vehicula mi. Fusce sed euismod ante, a molestie urna. Praesent pellentesque laoreet mollis. Quisque in quam in erat interdum vulputate. Aliquam erat volutpat. In ornare nisl in nisl semper, at luctus libero egestas. Vestibulum tincidunt molestie lobortis. Suspendisse potenti.

Integer a arcu nulla. Etiam aliquet est et orci ullamcorper sodales. Nam Padme nibh ut neque facilisis, ut tincidunt nibh volutpat. Aliquam aliquet Solo leo, non mattis lorem vestibulum ac. Sed Bantha Poodoo quam lorem, ac fermentum felis malesuada vitae. Aenean et gravida erat. Ut eget ante eget diam malesuada ullamcorper. In sit amet ligula vitae lacus auctor efficitur quis tempor nulla.

Sed eu ligula vehicula, consequat ligula sit amet, euismod enim. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed ut metus vel nunc Jar Jar laoreet sit amet ut felis. Maecenas venenatis eget velit ut porta. Nulla sodales dui mi, non tempor sapien sagittis in. Fusce varius varius sodales. In justo neque, iaculis sed placerat vitae, rhoncus in velit. Nam ut varius magna. Maecenas luctus diam sed turpis luctus Zizek."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just like cnut's posts, they are just fun, i still think the prequels are poo poo though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

Anytime someone disagrees tho they are shouted down and declared crazy, like Tezzor.

That's because Tezzor made really stupid and nonsensical posts. I can see how you would think he was doing the same thing if you eyes glazed over every post longer than fifty words, but it really wasn't.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Vintersorg posted:

"I thought Anakin was a weak character in the prequels. Therefore I do not like them"

"Actually...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque pharetra sit amet turpis et luctus. Nullam non ultricies velit. Sed lacus elit, porttitor vitae semper in, interdum at sem. Suspendisse nisl risus, blandit eget viverra eu, accumsan vel nisl. Suspendisse nec quam nisi. Duis gravida vel lorem ut accumsan. Suspendisse rhoncus urna ac velit cursus, quis mollis nibh consequat. Praesent dictum dui eu nibh rhoncus luctus. Phasellus urna nisl, commodo vel quam nec, semper sodales sem. Nunc eu dui nec metus faucibus mollis sit amet ut risus. Cras at orci mauris.

Ut enim eros, vestibulum non maximus vel, blandit vehicula quam. Maecenas in elit non felis semper placerat. Duis ac libero leo. Aenean quis diam Yipee, varius arcu eu, rutrum augue. Praesent et turpis tortor. Maecenas efficitur nisl et orci hendrerit pulvinar. Nam convallis pulvinar ante, eget pretium odio egestas quis. Integer non ante leo. Ut bibendum massa ac lorem tempus rhoncus. Mauris mollis ante sed diam vestibulum congue. Nulla vel ipsum quam. Sed suscipit mattis ligula eget vestibulum. Praesent aliquam laoreet tristique. Aenean pulvinar pretium massa vitae bibendum.

Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per Depth, per inceptos himenaeos. Fusce diam enim, facilisis sed odio pellentesque, aliquam vehicula mi. Fusce sed euismod ante, a molestie urna. Praesent pellentesque laoreet mollis. Quisque in quam in erat interdum vulputate. Aliquam erat volutpat. In ornare nisl in nisl semper, at luctus libero egestas. Vestibulum tincidunt molestie lobortis. Suspendisse potenti.

Integer a arcu nulla. Etiam aliquet est et orci ullamcorper sodales. Nam Padme nibh ut neque facilisis, ut tincidunt nibh volutpat. Aliquam aliquet Solo leo, non mattis lorem vestibulum ac. Sed Bantha Poodoo quam lorem, ac fermentum felis malesuada vitae. Aenean et gravida erat. Ut eget ante eget diam malesuada ullamcorper. In sit amet ligula vitae lacus auctor efficitur quis tempor nulla.

Sed eu ligula vehicula, consequat ligula sit amet, euismod enim. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed ut metus vel nunc Jar Jar laoreet sit amet ut felis. Maecenas venenatis eget velit ut porta. Nulla sodales dui mi, non tempor sapien sagittis in. Fusce varius varius sodales. In justo neque, iaculis sed placerat vitae, rhoncus in velit. Nam ut varius magna. Maecenas luctus diam sed turpis luctus Zizek."

Alternatively:

"Me too"

"Same"

"Third"

"Third e: haha poo poo :mediocre: I meant fourth"

"Third"

":mediocre:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tezzor is an idiot and anyone who reads his posts and does not realise that is also an idiot.

• Locked thread