Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brony patient zero?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Slammy posted:

Fritzi Ritz

That's kind of a dick move, letting the kid go to the movies but not allowing her to see the ending.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3996

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:raise:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

It's fun when the comic has to stop down and explain why there aren't any competent superheroes pitching in.

Sally Forth

And of course this one about Winter not lasting forever happens to line up with the big huge blizzard loving up the East Coast. Not sure what state this takes place in.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

She's an icky elf!

Prince Valiant

drat that's a fine (about to be dead) horse.

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Did they just walk into each other? Is that the joke?

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

It's fun when the comic has to stop down and explain why there aren't any competent superheroes pitching in.
Doesn't explain where the Fantastic Four, the X-Men or Daredevil are though. They've all been featured in the comic before. And I wouldn't be surprised at this point to see Jessica Jones or Luke Cage show up either.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Tiggum posted:

With Arlo and Janis, if you don't understand the joke the answer is always sex.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is well too aware of its situation.

Buster's mother did it. She has a history of domestic violence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Yeah I got nothing either.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Basically, yeah. He calls her, and as she goes into the other room to see what he wants, he's gone into the room where she was to look for her. Not seeing each other, they turn around and go back to where they were originally, and smack into each other.

It's...sort of a joke, I guess, if you're feeling very, very charitable. (Imagine reading it after Funky Winkerbean, 9 Chickweed Lane, and Gilchrist's Nancy, and it's not bad. Not funny or interesting, mind you, just not bad.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Darkest Auer posted:

That's kind of a dick move, letting the kid go to the movies but not allowing her to see the ending.

Don't worry -- if these strips were published when I think they were (1930s, I'm guessing), by 6pm, Nancy would have seen the movie at least once, plus shorts, a news reel, cartoons, etc. all for a nickel.

Source: My mum is 87 (b. 1929), and her mum used to let her go to the cinema on Saturdays from the time it opened until suppertime -- starting from about the age of 5! My mum would get to see the same film a couple of times (which is why she knows all of the words to every musical made between about 1934 and 1946), and in the late afternoons, the older brothers would be walking up and down the aisles of the theatre, sifting around amongst the kiddies to sort'em out and bring'em home for their evening meals. You totally did not want your mum herself to show up, because that meant you were late and probably going to get a whack upside the bum for making her come look for you and letting supper get cold.

My uncle Mike used to fetch my mum back home when she was at the younger end of her experiences, and she'd've usually fallen asleep so he'd just haul her up like a sack of potatoes and carry her home. If she was awake and bolshie, he'd tell her that he'd just bought a new comic book and if she beat him back to the house, she could be the first one to read it (a privilege he didn't give away lightly) :3:

On the topic of Nancy -- she thinks the Guy Gilchrist version is absolutely ridiculous and that the Ernie Bushmiller Nancy is best Nancy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That actually makes that comic even better, thanks for the context.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Trilobite posted:

Basically, yeah. He calls her, and as she goes into the other room to see what he wants, he's gone into the room where she was to look for her. Not seeing each other, they turn around and go back to where they were originally, and smack into each other.

It's...sort of a joke, I guess, if you're feeling very, very charitable. (Imagine reading it after Funky Winkerbean, 9 Chickweed Lane, and Gilchrist's Nancy, and it's not bad. Not funny or interesting, mind you, just not bad.)

I like it. It feels like something that happened to him and he put down on the strip. The execution's not great but in general I like A+J a whole lot for being a fairly honest depiction of a happy marriage.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't explain where the Fantastic Four, the X-Men or Daredevil are though. They've all been featured in the comic before. And I wouldn't be surprised at this point to see Jessica Jones or Luke Cage show up either.

Reed saw Namor was in town and immediately took his team into the negative zone.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do you want to have a Bad Timing Comix?

Pooch Café

I sometimes think about what the quickest, surest way to profit from time travel would be. Stock tips are an okay idea, but they still require some up-front capital and take time to pay off. Obviously if you've got a reusable time machine waiting's no problem, but what about a one-way trip like this one? You can't bring back any technology to reverse-engineer, either.

Ballard Street

We set one of those up outside my work, and we had to take the door off because people kept smashing the glass to steal the books. It was never locked.

Sometimes the communities that don't seem ready for these ideas are the ones that need them the most.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Do you understand me? If you feel any fear at all, you will die a bloody, violent death, just like your friend that I'm only telling you about now. Don't think about her dying slowly and painfully because that might make you think about what will happen to you if you get scared and whatever you do you can't be scared OH GOD DON'T BE SCARED

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

I sometimes think about what the quickest, surest way to profit from time travel would be. Stock tips are an okay idea, but they still require some up-front capital and take time to pay off. Obviously if you've got a reusable time machine waiting's no problem, but what about a one-way trip like this one? You can't bring back any technology to reverse-engineer, either.
Lottery?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

What is this strip? Just a bunch of old people sending in one liners that this guy draws as furries? I am Zippy the Pinhead levels of confused about this thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Basically. It is "Boomers think like this" the comic strip.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Anora posted:

What is this strip? Just a bunch of old people sending in one liners that this guy draws as furries? I am Zippy the Pinhead levels of confused about this thing.

Yeah, you basically got it in one. It's kind of a take-off on Jimmy Hatlo's They'll do it Every Time, which was the same thing but without furries and not written by/for out of touch old people.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Here's what I don't understand about that comic: Are the people who send these tips happy to be called a Plugger, as if it were a badge of pride? If so, why?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think about 3/4 of them are actually the same guy.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pentaro posted:

Here's what I don't understand about that comic: Are the people who send these tips happy to be called a Plugger, as if it were a badge of pride? If so, why?

Rednecks embrace redneck; why not pluggers?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Pentaro posted:

I've got no source on this, but I think originally you absolutely did not want to be a plugger, and it slowly warped into the current anti-Dinette Set status quo as readers started to identify with it. I could be misremembering, however.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Pentaro posted:

I think it's important to know that Pluggers was originally by Jeff MacNelly, and when he was writing it it had a bit more edge. MacNelly mostly did editorial cartoons and won several Pulitzers and a Reuben, so there's your frame of reference. Brookins has taken that edge away, in my view.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 1, 1951)

Barnaby (June 8, 1942)

Nancy (February 15, 1943)

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 28, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Spending $18,000 on a hobby over five years is only around $3,500 a year, which is a lot but isn't really so notable that you should be called upon to believe it or not.

I feel like someone is paying off the cartoonist to out their worst enemy as a brony.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 27, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

I AM LES MOORE, DESTROYER OF HOMES.

That's the widest I've ever seen Jess's eyes open.

Crankshaft

We're seriously doing a second week of this?

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 24-25, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 13, 1929)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (January 1, 1950)

King Aroo is great - thank you for posting it.

TofuDiva posted:

I think it's important to know that Pluggers was originally by Jeff MacNelly, and when he was writing it it had a bit more edge. MacNelly mostly did editorial cartoons and won several Pulitzers and a Reuben, so there's your frame of reference. Brookins has taken that edge away, in my view.

Here are some Pluggers from the Beaver County Times in 1993 - the first year it ran.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

It's true.

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

I love this one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know what it is, but the art in this Mark Trail story is really unsettling. It's probably just me, but it feels like the kind of art you see in an indie self-published horror comic book from the 90's.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know what it is, but the art in this Mark Trail story is really unsettling. It's probably just me, but it feels like the kind of art you see in an indie self-published horror comic book from the 90's.

Agreed. To me it looks like Allen is drawing Trail, and somebody else is drawing the other figures, and the two styles are weird together.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think James Allen is not actually a very good artist, and he's still mostly coasting on copy-pasted Trailface from the years of jackelrod archives. New characters look pretty rough. The bad guy from a couple days ago especially looks like he's an extra from GI Joe.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Doesn't Crankshaft take place in the '70's? I was under the impression it didn't make as many timeskips as Funky Winkerbean and was still several decades behind, and on occasion would jump ahead to now where Crankshaft is a dying old man.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Out Our Way is so good. The art is gorgeous and the jokes are really timeless or easily understood even almost a century later. All the characters have such distinctive voices and it's just nice and interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

The cave scientist guy reminds me of some other character from somewhere else but I can't put my finger on it. I want to say someone from King of the Hill. Maybe that's just what the style reminds me of.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Yes. Another time. When you have traveled clear across the country again. To visit a child you are not related to.

I suspect one of the reasons Mary flew 3000 miles to visit NYC is to go out of her way to once more shoot down John Dill.

Rex Morgan MD

I guess Mr Avery's impotent? I look forward to the frank and open fertility discussion that is apparently coming this week in RMMD.

Secret Agent X-9

I'm not sure if that's a small adult or a child.

Apartment 3-G

I bet Web hit on that waitress while Margo was in the bathroom too.

• Locked thread