Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Nope, just wifi. I had heard that the 3G versions were highly sought after.

Whoa, are they? My dad has a 3G Kindle 3 with the official light leather case he never uses anymore. Wonder if I could turn that into a Paperwhite with leather sleeve for him.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My Kobo Glo HD arrived! Calibre made it stupid simple to import everything onto it, and I was really happy to see that the collections I set up in Calibre just worked on the actual device.

Performance-wise the Glo HD seems a bit snappier than my NST. Honestly it's eink and this stuff only moves so fast so I haven't been blown away or anything in this regard. I have yet to compare the two screens side-by-side, though, so I'm still not sure if the Glo's higher resolution is all that it claims.

I'm more happy about the Glo's quality of life improvements. There are a bunch of nice features that make it really easy to tell how much of my collection I've already read. It already makes the NST feel like a barebones device if only because I can see and can manually denote that I've completed a particular book. Stats will be fun to see, too, provided this kepub plugin worked its magic.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is a recommended case for the Paperwhite?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I really like my Omoton I got off Amazon for less than $15. Can't see any reason to pay 50 dollars for a fancy case from Amazon for a 100 dollar kindle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Caseless master race.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It includes the magnets for he automatic wake/sleep, and I find it comfortable to hold. I also slapped some of those velcro pads on it in matching sets for the outer parts, so that it'll stay open if I want it to

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I use this sleeve and it's p. awesome for :10bux:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2LG2WK

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a pretty cool thing for Echo owners.

quote:

Alexa can now read your Kindle books using the same text-to-speech technology that already reads Wikipedia entries, news articles and Google Calendar events! Just say "Alexa, read my Kindle Book" to get started. You can also request a specific book you are reading: "Alexa read <you book title>" and thanks to Whispersync, Alexa will pick up right where you last left off. Check out the Kindle Books section of the Alexa App to view all your supported eBooks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I really like my Omoton I got off Amazon for less than $15. Can't see any reason to pay 50 dollars for a fancy case from Amazon for a 100 dollar kindle.

Yeah, this is what we have. The only real sign of wear after two years is that the flexible hinge is now VERY flexible, so the front doesn't necessarily line up straight anymore.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I was given a launch Paperwhite as a gift; back then I had the choice of No Case or Official Case, and since I hadn't spent money on the ereader itself it was slightly less painful to drop $40 on a case. It's what, 3+ years later now? The thing still looks and feels brand new, including the spine. I don't normally pamper my electronics or buy fancy accessories, but this thing is so aesthetically pleasing and well made that it was entirely worth it -- especially since I don't see myself upgrading from the Paperwhite for a long time.

If in 2012 I had a choice of of today's range of covers, I probably would've gravitated toward something different because of the cost of the official cover, but in a way I'm glad I didn't have a choice back then because this case is drat nice.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've debated asking this but it's driving me nuts so gently caress it. Since the day I took it out of the box my Kobo Glo HD suffers from a single line of seemingly stuck pixels on the bottom quarter of the screen. What's weird is that immediately after a page refresh they disappear, but the moment I go to the next page they reappear. It's not a contiguous line, but it's solid enough that it's easy to notice.

Is this normal? Should I send it back for a replacement? Honestly, I can ignore the line of pixels easily enough, but I am kinda worried that it might be a symptom of a bigger hardware problem that'll rear its ugly head the day after the warranty elapses.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Karthe posted:

I've debated asking this but it's driving me nuts so gently caress it. Since the day I took it out of the box my Kobo Glo HD suffers from a single line of seemingly stuck pixels on the bottom quarter of the screen. What's weird is that immediately after a page refresh they disappear, but the moment I go to the next page they reappear. It's not a contiguous line, but it's solid enough that it's easy to notice.

Is this normal? Should I send it back for a replacement? Honestly, I can ignore the line of pixels easily enough, but I am kinda worried that it might be a symptom of a bigger hardware problem that'll rear its ugly head the day after the warranty elapses.

Get it replaced while it's still under warranty.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Karthe posted:

No, while some ghosting is normal (especially if it's not been used for a few days, used in cold weather or there was an image or heavy text on the screen), it should be fixed by changing pages.

I don't think it's part of a bigger hardware problem, but just a semi-faulty screen. You should still get if fixed though, perhaps read a real book or something in the meantime :p

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I think I am going to get an Omoton case. The $50 off of the Paperwhite makes this such a deal. Now the major question is: old world map or Napoleon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011O7VAXS/ref=twister_B00NGMHEVM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Y Map Pattern (Black Gray).

If you don't get the screaming chicken case you hosed up. I love mine.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I really like the brown Y Map and the Z Forest Bench patterns. That said, mine came secondhand with a decent pleather case that I haven't bothered to replace. One day I'll buy an Oberon Design case.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Those are beautiful. Although too much for a paperwhite, my wife loves the idea of using one for her iPhone.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

smackfu posted:

Yeah, this is what we have. The only real sign of wear after two years is that the flexible hinge is now VERY flexible, so the front doesn't necessarily line up straight anymore.

I've got an Inatek one with a similar design it has the same issue - which means that the magnet doesn't always line up right and so the reader is often on when it shouldn't be which runs the battery down quicker. Just something to consider.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H1OR9RK/ref=&keywords=paperwhite+case?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=0c4e40f8bedf11e5803ae2f81877eb520INT

These are on sale for 7 bucks right now. Looks identical to the Omoton and the other cases with similar designs but for half the price.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Baller Witness Bro posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H1OR9RK/ref=&keywords=paperwhite+case?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=0c4e40f8bedf11e5803ae2f81877eb520INT

These are on sale for 7 bucks right now. Looks identical to the Omoton and the other cases with similar designs but for half the price.

I'm pretty sure that's the case I have. I got it secondhand and there is zero branding, but it looks identical. Great quality, very grippy. The front cover is pliable but not floppy, and the side binding goes almost top to bottom so the cover won't be wiggling around when it's flipped onto the back.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It seems my Kindle account is a US one, but I live in Canada and they are prompting me to move the account up North. Given the thread title, the question is simple... Should I convert my US Kindle account to a Canadian one?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

It seems my Kindle account is a US one, but I live in Canada and they are prompting me to move the account up North. Given the thread title, the question is simple... Should I convert my US Kindle account to a Canadian one?

If anything, you should do it cause the exchange rate is awful so the books will be cheaper. :canada:

I had a US account originally, when the .ca kindle store didn't exist. The selection is identical now. There's really no reason to have a US account over a .ca account. You won't lose any books.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've noticed in several ebooks this thing:

The number of "highlighters" changes, but it's almost always 3-4 dotted lines.

What the heck is this?

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
If I'm looking to buy an old kindle from ebay, any particular generation is better than others? I don't really have any specific needs/requests or special uses.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've noticed in several ebooks this thing:

The number of "highlighters" changes, but it's almost always 3-4 dotted lines.

What the heck is this?

It is telling you how many people have highlighted that particular passage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And you can turn it off somewhere in the settings. It's called "Popular Highlights".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

supercow posted:

If I'm looking to buy an old kindle from ebay, any particular generation is better than others? I don't really have any specific needs/requests or special uses.

If you want books read to you, get the Kindle Keyboard / Kindle 3rd generation.

If you want frontlighting, get any Paperwhite or Voyage.

If you just want as small and cheap as possible, get ones that just say Kindle and a generation after 3

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Okay, thanks. I've turned it off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fishmech posted:

Last time I checked, this is disabled for most books because apparently publishers think that a weird robot voice is serious competition for actual audio books and won't let you use it. You can use the Kindle keyboard to play audio books and MP3s though, if for some reason that's more convenient for you than your phone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiggum posted:

Last time I checked, this is disabled for most books because apparently publishers think that a weird robot voice is serious competition for actual audio books and won't let you use it. You can use the Kindle keyboard to play audio books and MP3s though, if for some reason that's more convenient for you than your phone.

Plop them into Calibre and have them recovered to AZW3 with a DRM strip plugin, and they'll no longer bar the read-to-you feature.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Hey, I hope I didn't miss a similar question, and if so I apologize. I'm in the US and will be traveling to the UK. I have an old Kindle, non papewhite. I don't have the original charger, just a generic micro USB. I have a plug adapter for the UK but not a voltage adapter. Am I good, or should I grab one before the flight tomorrow?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckboat posted:

Hey, I hope I didn't miss a similar question, and if so I apologize. I'm in the US and will be traveling to the UK. I have an old Kindle, non papewhite. I don't have the original charger, just a generic micro USB. I have a plug adapter for the UK but not a voltage adapter. Am I good, or should I grab one before the flight tomorrow?

The adapter should tell you what voltages it can take. There's probably a good chance it'll be fine as long as you have a plug adapter, but check anyway!

supercow
Aug 11, 2009

fishmech posted:

If you want frontlighting, get any Paperwhite or Voyage.

If you just want as small and cheap as possible, get ones that just say Kindle and a generation after 3

Thanks. The cheapest one was the kindle keyboard. I guess I wouldn't mind someone reading to me in a sweet robotic voice. $29 shipped on eBay, seems like a good deal.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Duckboat posted:

99.9% of anything with a power brick will take both voltages in the ~110 range, and ~220 and output normally, and should be labeled as a range. How many things do you need to plug in that don't have a transformer? I would think literally everything you plug in that has a USB output (phone chargers, etc) will cover you.

Typical labels -

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Duckboat posted:

As well as others have said you can also buy a UK micro USB charger from almost anywhere in the UK for around £10. Phone shops are everywhere on high streets and shopping centers and even supermarkets have them. Ebay.com also has them (shipped from China/Hong Kong for cheap).

That's what I did when I had a holiday in Spain i bought a European charger from Ebay.co.uk

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Duckboat posted:

If it's not too late and none of the other suggestions work, try any of these:
1. Just charge off a laptop or nearby computer
2. If renting a car, remember that cigarette lighter ports are the same, so use that.
3. If you absolutely don't have any travel adapter, SF Cable make great North American to UK Plug ones you can get on Amazon. Alternatively, buy a USB charger with an interchangeable set of plugs.
4. Most hotels have a lost and found and will probably just give you a charger on your first night if you ask politely.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Totally forgot about this thread, but did anyone else take advantage of Amazon's kindle trade in promotion? For every kindle you trade in, you got a $20 credit to buy a new kindle, plus whatever the value of the old one was.

Worked out great for me, because I had two old dead kindle keyboards that I got $50 total for, plus a newer generation that I got $45ish. Kindle Paperwhite for almost free, here I come!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Still no word on the next Kindle? I kind of regret holding out by this point.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got $50 for my trade in ($30 for keyboard and $20 bonus) and I purchased a paperwhite. It worked out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Drunk Tomato posted:

Totally forgot about this thread, but did anyone else take advantage of Amazon's kindle trade in promotion? For every kindle you trade in, you got a $20 credit to buy a new kindle, plus whatever the value of the old one was.

Worked out great for me, because I had two old dead kindle keyboards that I got $50 total for, plus a newer generation that I got $45ish. Kindle Paperwhite for almost free, here I come!

Is that $20 per kindle, or one $20 bonus, as well as the $ per kindle?