Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

What's the easiest way to load a video file on my wife's iPad without using iTunes? She's never had it connected to iTunes and I don't feel like jumping through the hoops that it would entail, so I'm hoping there's an app that will let me download it directly from my server.

VLC app has a bonjour based browser file migration thing. So does n player or whatever other cool video app the kids are watching their pirated hentai on these days.

You just turn on sharing in the app, go to an ip address and drag the file into the browser window and wait awhile and it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's various file management and/or video player apps that can connect to whatever servers to download stuff (video player specific ones being able to play more than the standard formats). Readdle Documents is a free one, should work fine if your video is MP4 and supports whatever server protocol you're using.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

EC posted:

What's the easiest way to load a video file on my wife's iPad without using iTunes? She's never had it connected to iTunes and I don't feel like jumping through the hoops that it would entail, so I'm hoping there's an app that will let me download it directly from my server.

The hoops are just dragging the video to iTunes and pressing the sync button

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dropbox was the so-obvious-it-hurts answer. Thanks y'all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/01/new-chrome-for-ios-is-finally-as-fast-and-stable-as-safari/

Chrome for iOS has been updated to use the faster Safari rendering/JS stuff.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

withak posted:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/01/new-chrome-for-ios-is-finally-as-fast-and-stable-as-safari/

Chrome for iOS has been updated to use the faster Safari rendering/JS stuff.

Still no ad blocking integration though :(

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Croc Monster posted:

Still no ad blocking integration though :(

Is this even possible? I'm genuinely curious.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

maduin posted:

Is this even possible? I'm genuinely curious.

Only in Safari.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

And anything that uses Safari view controller or whatever it's called for in-app browsing (Feedly for instance uses it)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's not really feasible to build a full browser app using SafariViewController, so Chrome can't use content blockers unless Apple adds some other API to include them.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Diabolik900 posted:

Chrome can't use content blockers unless Apple adds some other API to include them.

This is what I keep hoping for.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Croc Monster posted:

This is what I keep hoping for.

I wouldn't keep your hopes up, it's probably in Apple's best interest to keep people on Safari.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Well yeah I know, but a man can dream. We *did* get 3rd party keyboards, janky though they may be.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
It's also in Google's interest to show you ads.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Can the safari ad blocker thingy stop Youtube playing ads? The one I use on my PC does . . . Would love to start using my ipad to watch youtube videos again. I'm on 8.something and am loath to lose my jailbreak, but adfree youtube might persuade me.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 28, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

Can the safari ad blocker thingy stop Youtube playing ads? The one I use on my PC does . . . Would love to start using my ipad to watch youtube videos again. I'm on 8.something and am loath to lose my jailbreak, but adfree youtube might persuade me.
They can stop YouTube ads in Safari. And a side note, if you have the YouTube app there's a trick to block it from auto launching with ad blockers.

(And remember they're 64-bit only, so if you're on an old enough device don't bother if you're upgrading just for ad blocking)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the trick japtor?!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What's the trick japtor?!
I'm not sure what blockers do it, but I'm using Refine for it, I figure it should work in any that let you do custom rules.

From what I can tell you basically just block "youtube. com" (notice the space in there):

I don't know if it still works (gently caress the piece of poo poo YouTube app) but it did last time I had it installed. This is all from Safari though, I'm not sure about YouTube links from other apps.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

japtor posted:

gently caress the piece of poo poo YouTube app

What is up with YouTube and it wanting to always be in vertical mode yet most of the time YouTube videos are meant to be watched horizontally? The YouTube app is the one app on iOS that is worse than the Android equivalent.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey so I just got an iPad. What are some good apps for this

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What do you like better weather or podcasts?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eightpole posted:

Hey so I just got an iPad. What are some good apps for this

Downcast or Overdrive (podcast)
Google drive
Awful app
Whatever news app (I like the Washington Post one)
1password
Fantastical 2 (calendar app)

If you use a calculator at all, for both iPhone and iPad Soulver is one of the best apps I ever got. I do quick math all day at my job and it's by far the best calculator app I've found.

Game wise depends on what type of game, but Smash Hit is great on the iPad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah no, Lastpass.

Dashlane?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Lastpass owns. 1Password seems good, but the fact that you can pirate their Mac app pretty easily does make me a little bit skeptical of their security. I realize that doesn't entirely make sense but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm still using Keepass like a caveman because it's too much work to move to a different app.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

dik-dik posted:

Lastpass owns. 1Password seems good, but the fact that you can pirate their Mac app pretty easily does make me a little bit skeptical of their security. I realize that doesn't entirely make sense but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah that's really stupid

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Lastpass is owned by LogMeIn.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dik-dik posted:

It doesn't make any sense.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Serenade posted:

And you know what they say:

You can't have LogMein without Lo Mein.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Serenade posted:

Lol if you care.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

dik-dik posted:

1Password seems good, but the fact that you can pirate their Mac app pretty easily does make me a little bit skeptical of their security. I realize that doesn't entirely make sense but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

vvvvv yeah, that's me with 1password. Once you're all-in with this sort of thing it's really hard to switch.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 1, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want a password keeper that works on all my computing devices that doesn't require storing my vault in someone's cloud. Unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist, so I keep on keeping on with lastpass because I've been using it from day one and am too lazy to migrate elsewhere.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

xzzy posted:

I want a password keeper that works on all my computing devices that doesn't require storing my vault in someone's cloud. Unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist, so I keep on keeping on with lastpass because I've been using it from day one and am too lazy to migrate elsewhere.

Enpass may fulfill your needs. It's a 1password knockoff that doesn't use their own cloud poo poo, but will sync in your own, and looks to be pretty well covered in platform compatibility (all mobile OS, Win/OS X/Linux/more?)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh nice.. I hadn't heard of it yet. Looks like it's super new which is why I may not have caught it yet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

dik-dik posted:

How is that working out to possess the logic skills of a child?

Edit: Enpass looks neat, but they forgot that 1Pass lets you do Wifi Sync so none of your encrypted files are on anyone else's servers.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 1, 2016

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

enojy posted:

Enpass may fulfill your needs. It's a 1password knockoff that doesn't use their own cloud poo poo, but will sync in your own, and looks to be pretty well covered in platform compatibility (all mobile OS, Win/OS X/Linux/more?)

1password doesn't require you to use any cloud stuff of any kind

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

1password doesn't require you to use any cloud stuff of any kind

But syncing between all the available OSes gets fidgety if you roll your own.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

But syncing between all the available OSes gets fidgety if you roll your own.

so does every other password manager if you want to sync stuff from one computer to another

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

so does every other password manager if you want to sync stuff from one computer to another

Sorry, but these options look like poo poo:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options

To get a vault from my home PC to my work PC I have to use my phone as an intermediate step and trigger it manually? gently caress that, I want stuff to sync automatically in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

Sorry, but these options look like poo poo:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options

To get a vault from my home PC to my work PC I have to use my phone as an intermediate step and trigger it manually? gently caress that, I want stuff to sync automatically in the background.

hi i'm dropbox nice to meet you