Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So I don't know anything about baseball, but OOTP seems like a nice change of pace from Football Manager (at least until the next version comes out in a couple months). I've looked around for a getting started / 'things you need to do in your first season of OOTP' guide, but haven't found much. I assume part of the reason is that significantly fewer people play OOTP than Football Manager, and those who do play the game do so because they love baseball and already know a lot about it. Since I am a sim player rather than a baseball nerd, are there any suggestions for getting started aimed at someone like me? I'm particularly confused by crazy contract mechanisms of draft pick compensations, arbitration, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
In terms of game mechanics you should check out the "New to the game" forum on the official forums: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-15-new-game/ . Another good place is the in-game guide. It can tell you about drafting, arbitration, etc. Just hit F1 when in game and start looking for what you need info on.

In regards to baseball itself; I would start with wikipedia. You can learn about the rules and how the game is actually played, positions, stats, etc. If you don't already know statistics and baseball go hand in hand. Look on wikipedia about different stats like batting average, on base percentage, ERA, WHIP, etc. Once you have an idea about these stats it can help you put your team together.

If you are looking for a good place to start. I would say just go with the Dodgers or Yankees. Turn on "You can't be fired" from the "Control and auto-play settings" and start to play around with your team. If you want to micro manage every game you can. If you want to just put together the team you can delegate all of the roles to staff.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Finished our first season in the online league I'm running. Have a few openings. If you're interested let me know and I can link you to our forum.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
In case anybody is interested, the Rising Star League is about to close the books on its 34th season and we have an open team in need of some steady new ownership. We're still running on OOTP15 however, and probably will not be upgrading until we (likely) move to OOTP17 next Summer, so OOTP16ers need not apply.

Here's the league homepage: http://buane.net/risingstar/html/leagues/league_100_home.html
The open team is the Phoenix Thunderbirds: http://buane.net/risingstar/html/teams/team_72.html

I'll be honest, Phoenix is kind of a down-on-its-luck franchise. They haven't made the playoffs in 31 consecutive seasons which is a reflection of the revolving-door stewardship of past GMs. Their minor leagues are nothing special right now, and they're about to lose their two top SPs to Free Agency, weakening an already league-worst pitching staff. They play in a division with Los Angeles, a team so young and well-rounded that it's doubtful they'll surrender the division crown any time soon.

It's not all bad, though. There aren't really any ugly contracts that a new GM would be saddled with, so there should be plenty of money to play with in Free Agency over the next few years. In fact there's almost not a dime of guaranteed money on the books 2 seasons from now, so you'd probably be able to remake the team entirely pretty quickly. And while the pitching staff is weak and about to get weaker, the lineup is actually solid, young-ish, and talented. There's even a few spots where just an upgrade to league-average would pay off tremendously (the AI force started a 40-year-old corpse in CF for 110 games last year, oops).

And even if the team doesn't compete for the new few years, you can always join the rest of us as we sit back and watch this guy re-write the record books:

Anyway, the League Championship is about to get underway, so the season should be complete in the next couple days and then we jump right into the draft and free agency. This means now is the perfect time to get in and start making decisions!

If anybody is interested, just let me know here or drop me a PM or an email (GMYale@gmail.com)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Buane sent you a PM

edit: and now realize your post was three days ago.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Voodoofly posted:

Buane sent you a PM

edit: and now realize your post was three days ago.

Offseason hasn't even started yet, so it's still good timing.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Tavarin posted:

Offseason hasn't even started yet, so it's still good timing.

Cool, if the team is open I'll take it. I've been taking poo poo teams and turning 5 star prospects into three star journeymen since the single digit OOTP days

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Anybody know if there is an OOTP-like game for NBA basketball? Maybe the real question is, does anybody know what the best simulation NBA game available is? I found a couple that looked promising but they are no longer in development...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Planning on doing an LP in the style of JosefStalinator's Istanbul LP. Here's the league structure I have already, and the thread will be playing as London:

Now, before I start the thread, anyone want to suggest team names (not for London, that team's name is set in stone)?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Danny Glands posted:

Now, before I start the thread, anyone want to suggest team names (not for London, that team's name is set in stone)?

The Hamburg A's

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Danny Glands posted:

Planning on doing an LP in the style of JosefStalinator's Istanbul LP. Here's the league structure I have already, and the thread will be playing as London:

Do you want goofy names, or plausible names for a European baseball league? :v:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Cologne Bartolos

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Need a team in Derby so you can say they play at the Baseball Ground.

:haw:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Do you want goofy names, or plausible names for a European baseball league? :v:

Either's good -- you can see I put the Seville Barbers there already.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Genoa Roots but I like most of the names as they are, honestly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Paris Poilus (I've been reading a lot about WWI :v: )
Glasgow Shipwrights

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Okay, did Genoa, Paris, and Glasgow. Not real sure about Cologne though.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

A dedicated thread for the new LP will be up tomorrow. There, we can finalize league rules and get the draft started.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Looking forward to it. I've been sorely missing Stalinator's LP.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I'm trying to make a fictional league starting in 1871 and I was wondering if I could keep Player Creation Modifiers and strategies at 2015 settings while having financial settings start at 1871 and evolve?

At the very least I'd like strategies to be locked at modern levels as 1-man pitching rotations baffle me.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dreamsicle posted:

So I'm trying to make a fictional league starting in 1871 and I was wondering if I could keep Player Creation Modifiers and strategies at 2015 settings while having financial settings start at 1871 and evolve?

At the very least I'd like strategies to be locked at modern levels as 1-man pitching rotations baffle me.

Almost positive you can do this, and if I wasn't 5 years into my attempt to go 1901-present day I might try it myself.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I ran a test with these settings and everything seems to work but stadium capacity still remains low. Is there a setting to autogenerate new stadiums for fictional leagues or do I have to edit them myself?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dreamsicle posted:

So I ran a test with these settings and everything seems to work but stadium capacity still remains low. Is there a setting to autogenerate new stadiums for fictional leagues or do I have to edit them myself?

Stadium capacity is tied to financial stuff, afaik. I'm sure they'd have to get bigger in time.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

LordPants posted:

Stadium capacity is tied to financial stuff, afaik. I'm sure they'd have to get bigger in time.

I've simmed the test to 1958, all stadium capcities are still in four digits. Here are my league progression settings.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm not sure if stadiums evolve. I've never seen it happen, but to be fair I've personally never had a league really evolve at all.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Apologies for taking so long -- here's the European baseball LP I promised you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757093

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So I've been playing this way too much since I bought it a couple weeks back and I think I have the hang of it. It's certainly helped me understand all the complicated systems of building a team and having farm teams below you, plus rule 5 drafts and arbitration hearings and whatnot.

Overall it's fun and I feel like I can build a good team from the get-go with fantasy drafts, but after I sim two years everything goes to poo poo. Adam Jones is having a great year, I re-sign him, he gets suspended three times, injured four times, and becomes a 21/21 overall by the end of the season batting .187. I pick up some great young pitchers who all have sterling ERAs and BABIPs, start them, they go 9.54 era for the season (I'm looking at you Pomeranz). What's the key to solidifying your team after the first few years? Good scouting?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Doltos posted:

I pick up some great young pitchers who all have sterling ERAs and BABIPs, start them, they go 9.54 era for the season (I'm looking at you Pomeranz).

Wait, aren't ERA/BABIP the exact stats you don't want to focus on, since BABIP has high variance and is less affected by pitcher skill, while ERA is influenced by BABIP giving it the same problems?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

BABIP is basically "how lucky were you on pitches that were hit"/"how good is the defense behind you", and low BABIP usually means low ERA...but taking them away from the stadium & defense that brought them those low stats is a recipe for a statistical crash landing.

As far as solidifying your team...have a theme and build to it. Unless you're building a team of all-stars at every position through Trade Madness, accept that your team will have weaknesses. If you build a team on pitching and defense, you probably won't have more than 1-2 really good hitters. If your team is playing in a bandbox, there's no sense focusing on athletic outfielders because anything hit that way is probably going out; they won't have many doubles/triples to cut down. Conversely if you're building a cavernous ruin where home runs go to die, don't put plodding outfielders with noodle arms out there defensively.

In my OOTP experience, strikeout pitching, solid defense and being quick on the basepaths plays well everywhere, in any era.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

oldskool posted:

In my OOTP experience, strikeout pitching, solid defense and being quick on the basepaths plays well everywhere, in any era.

(I use the 20-80 scale for everything when playing so I don't know what the star comparison is if you play in stars)

I definitely agree with the strikeout pitching and solid defense. I think having a great bullpen is also really important because it allows you to use high ability/low stamina starting pitchers much more easily. I love using starting pitchers with 40 stamina but great stuff/pitches since I'm just maximizing the number of high quality innings i'm getting if I also have a great bullpen. And having a solid defense behind you makes all of your pitchers better. I try to not ever play somebody who has a defense below 50 as a starter but even if they're at 50 I definitely feel a touch worried. The bat has to be great.

Don't be afraid to platoon and give your back ups starts also. A fresher team performs better and if that means that some of your best players only start around 145 games a year, it should be a good thing overall since it will also protect them from injuries. Give people time off. Your prospects or younger players getting random starts can also lead them to performing well which, in ootp, is sometimes all the push they need to actually become a better player in the game. I've had that happen to me countless times, taking 21/30 players in AAA and giving them some starts due to injury, seeing them perform well, and then watching their ratings for next season or the rest of the season go up to 25/40. Playing time really is key.

Invest highly in scouting, development, and your staff. It pays off. I visit the free agents pretty often and try to find players below age 26 or so with ratings of 20/25 or above. Lots of players who are just bad and never make it to the majors but it fills up your minors and sometimes you get lucky and hit on somebody and all it took was a minor league contract. Nothing hurt at all. I feel like having a stocked minor league system is good to allow your top prospects to not have to play at a higher minor league level than they need to if you are lacking at their position in the higher level systems.

Also don't feel bad about trading away established players if you have a slightly worse off player who is younger behind them. Better to trade away a player a year early than a year too late.

One of the things I also do that helps is periodically remind myself of what players I have on the team that I really am ok with letting go of. Sometimes thinking about what you would or could change will help convince you of players you really can trade for talent at other positions.

Value players who can play multiple positions well defensively, even if they have a weaker bat. Let's you cover so much ground when somebody gets injured so you can put your best possible bench players into a starting position. I also don't really care about first basemen. Don't overpay for one and you can let basically anybody with a huge bat put in half assed time there. I like having two good catchers so I can let them also play first base to rest their legs and let them get more at bats while still catching.

This is a lot of weird dumb stuff I do. I've been playing way too much of this game recently yall. First ootp I ever bought at launch after buying the last 6 seasons during the world series and dang I've played a lot. I always choose the team with the first overall pick in the upcoming season and just try to build a dynasty so now I'm on the year 2040 with the dbacks. It's the best, I love this game. It's so good to play for so long and build a history that attaches itself to the already established history. I know too many great players by name that only exist inside the game. Kris Bryant, puig, machado, stanton, and jose fernandez have basically been the best current mlb players to have played since then. Some other dudes have surpassed them and one dude has a top 8 war of all time which is insane.

But ya ootp is a drug

uggy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 30, 2015

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

uggy posted:

(I use the 20-80 scale for everything when playing so I don't know what the star comparison is if you play in stars)

I definitely agree with the strikeout pitching and solid defense. I think having a great bullpen is also really important because it allows you to use high ability/low stamina starting pitchers much more easily. I love using starting pitchers with 40 stamina but great stuff/pitches since I'm just maximizing the number of high quality innings i'm getting if I also have a great bullpen. And having a solid defense behind you makes all of your pitchers better. I try to not ever play somebody who has a defense below 50 as a starter but even if they're at 50 I definitely feel a touch worried. The bat has to be great.

Don't be afraid to platoon and give your back ups starts also. A fresher team performs better and if that means that some of your best players only start around 145 games a year, it should be a good thing overall since it will also protect them from injuries. Give people time off. Your prospects or younger players getting random starts can also lead them to performing well which, in ootp, is sometimes all the push they need to actually become a better player in the game. I've had that happen to me countless times, taking 21/30 players in AAA and giving them some starts due to injury, seeing them perform well, and then watching their ratings for next season or the rest of the season go up to 25/40. Playing time really is key.

Invest highly in scouting, development, and your staff. It pays off. I visit the free agents pretty often and try to find players below age 26 or so with ratings of 20/25 or above. Lots of players who are just bad and never make it to the majors but it fills up your minors and sometimes you get lucky and hit on somebody and all it took was a minor league contract. Nothing hurt at all. I feel like having a stocked minor league system is good to allow your top prospects to not have to play at a higher minor league level than they need to if you are lacking at their position in the higher level systems.

Also don't feel bad about trading away established players if you have a slightly worse off player who is younger behind them. Better to trade away a player a year early than a year too late.

One of the things I also do that helps is periodically remind myself of what players I have on the team that I really am ok with letting go of. Sometimes thinking about what you would or could change will help convince you of players you really can trade for talent at other positions.

Value players who can play multiple positions well defensively, even if they have a weaker bat. Let's you cover so much ground when somebody gets injured so you can put your best possible bench players into a starting position. I also don't really care about first basemen. Don't overpay for one and you can let basically anybody with a huge bat put in half assed time there. I like having two good catchers so I can let them also play first base to rest their legs and let them get more at bats while still catching.

This is a lot of weird dumb stuff I do. I've been playing way too much of this game recently yall. First ootp I ever bought at launch after buying the last 6 seasons during the world series and dang I've played a lot. I always choose the team with the first overall pick in the upcoming season and just try to build a dynasty so now I'm on the year 2040 with the dbacks. It's the best, I love this game. It's so good to play for so long and build a history that attaches itself to the already established history. I know too many great players by name that only exist inside the game. Kris Bryant, puig, machado, stanton, and jose fernandez have basically been the best current mlb players to have played since then. Some other dudes have surpassed them and one dude has a top 8 war of all time which is insane.

But ya ootp is a drug

Posts like this always make me load up OOTP and then 20 minutes later im just overwhelmed and i turn it off

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
It's not that overwhelming to me but I have been playing for years. I can roll through a season in no time and I go day by day. Let the computer handle the minors and I do everything else. Having a good trainer makes you deal with injuries and the minors less!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
How many players do you guys typically call up during roster expansion? I usually bring up one or two prospects to play backup in the field and then load my bullpen up with long relievers and middle relief. Usually around 8 or even max out the 15 additional guys.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My most recent OOTP game blew up after the 2022 season, right after the salary space I got back from Joe Mauer's albatross of a contract started paying dividends. Right after I signed Yu Darvish and his UCL blew up after a month and I rehabbed him back and he spent a season out with shoulder damage. Right after I traded away Byron "12 million dollars in arbitration and asking for 30 million per for eight years" Buxton for a outfield that hit better than .250.

I got so loving angry at that save corruption, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up on OOTP16 before 17 comes out. There's still months of not-baseball to go.

As far as pitcher stats are concerned, I went with ERA+ and FIP, mostly, followed by WHIP. I really, really hate dudes being on base. Batting stats I usually went with OPS and ISO. I kept the base stealing low to middle unless the owner bitched, cranked sac bunts waaaaay down, and turned aggressive base running up a bit. I try for tactical or sabermatrician managers, balanced hitting/pitching coaches, and generally had the computer manage the minors rosters, though that tended to gently caress up development sometimes.

You can make a lot of good deals if you have a good scout and play those ratings off OSA ratings. My drafting is poo poo, but that happens when you're consistently picking 30th or so. :smuggo:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Okay, sorry for all the delays, but I now have the inaugural draft going in my LP. I'm playing this by ear for the most part -- feel free to correct me on anything if I screw up.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
The OOTP online league I run is now entering its 2nd off-season. We have a number of openings:

Tigers
Royals
Twins
Astros
Athletics
Rangers
Braves
Mets
Nationals
Reds
Rockies
Giants

Here's is a copy of my post from the OOTP forums

quote:

We run a modern league setup going into its 2nd season. Our relevant settings:

League Forum
Rules and Settings
Player Aging Speed: 0.900
Dev Speed: 1.000
Ratings Scale 20 - 80
A system for participating in the league and receiving points that can be redeemed for various rewards.
7 Day Sims at 4 days a week. These sims are live broadcast on twitch at 10pm EST on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

We are planning on having radio shows every Tuesday night to discuss the league during the season which will also be broadcast on twitch.

We have a great website with a chatroom built into it. It works on any browser (so it works on mobile devices) and we have a facebook style messenger system being worked on.

We also plan on having the reports site and online utilities put together sometime in December/January once I have time off to work on it.

All in all this is an exciting OOTP league to be in with a lot of great stuff planned. If you are interested in joining contact me here or through a PM. Or join our website and post in the sign-up thread. If you have any questions let me know.

If you have any questions let me know by PM or replying here.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

How many players do you guys typically call up during roster expansion? I usually bring up one or two prospects to play backup in the field and then load my bullpen up with long relievers and middle relief. Usually around 8 or even max out the 15 additional guys.

This is a fortnight late but yeah just arms really. I am super squirrely with prospects so I dont call them up

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
FYI if you guys don’t regularly check the OOTP forums and you play fictional it’s worth checking out the below online Jersey and Cap Creator.

If you have a logo you can create pretty cool looking home and away uniforms and caps without having to venture into the wilds of the OOTP addon forum.

http://www.ootputilities.com/

I've been unable to get the park creator to work but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I've gotten the park generator to work -- it's very temperamental, especially for the export process. I've been pretty much building test parks for my LP in it.

The hat and jersey generators look interesting -- I might use them once the playoffs roll around in my LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

con posted:

The OOTP online league I run is now entering its 2nd off-season. We have a number of openings:

Tigers
Royals
Twins
Astros
Athletics
Rangers
Braves
Mets
Nationals
Reds
Rockies
Giants

Here's is a copy of my post from the OOTP forums

If you have any questions let me know by PM or replying here.

I appreciate that this post is nearly three weeks old so my reply might now be redundant, but what does being in an OOTP league involve? I mean how does it work?

Also, if it's not to late, are you still looking for owners?

• Locked thread