Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Arquinsiel posted:

20mm is God's own scale, what he grew up playing with as a lad in the 60's.

6mm is good too, but it ain't no 20mm.

I am a 28mm poo poo bird myself but that batrep is cool. I can't help but think in the back of my head tho "man that'd be cool in 28mm Perrygod figures"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

muggins posted:

I am a 28mm poo poo bird myself but that batrep is cool. I can't help but think in the back of my head tho "man that'd be cool in 28mm Perrygod figures"

I was really proud of myself for painting a unit of 16 pikes and 12 musketeers in 28mm in like 4 months. My 6mm armies and table took me almost exactly a year. Painting multiple 28 mm armies and making a battlefield :gonk:

Also Grey Hunter, new page! New page! Post your nap battle :)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

muggins posted:

I love 28mm (getting some of that Warlord German goodness), but 6mm is truly God's Own scale in painting and price. And if all your poo poo is from GHQ... no, a man is not meant to contemplate something that cool. I'm sorry, I'm tearing up a little.

all that tiny detail

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Speaking of 6mm, I made some progress on 6mm scale Japanese galley:

Now it's mostly some details and stuff left, like railings and gunports. I learnt quite a bit already from just doing this first one.

I'm also a fan of 6mm, but that doesn't stop me from being a sucker for 28mm as well. Our club has three goals for 2016:

- Expand our 28mm WW2 games to include a Brittish army and some mid-war Mediterranean action
- Build at least two functional 6mm armies for Napoleonics (looking at Brittish, French, Russian, and maybe Prussia or Austria right now)
- Build and paint enough 28mm minis to play Field of Glory:Renaissance.

As a part of the last goal, I'm repairing/repainting and rebasing the majority of my single based samurai. It's pretty fun, I just have to decide what to do on the actual bases. I'm thinking of something much lighter than my previous bases, to make the miniatures themselves stand out more:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 20, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Here is a link to the blog post. - All the images are there, and I'm to lazy to rehost them all!

But lets throw in some pics for none clickers! (yes, a few of my infantry stands got turned around in one of the pictures, I'm not sure how it happened.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nice report! And good inspiration to get painting those French infantrymen sitting on my table as well.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
:eyepop: goddamn I love the mass rank and file effect of a ton of 6mm models. 28mm is cool for detail but when you're pushing around a division of 6mm infantry it feels like a division.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

I love 28mm (getting some of that Warlord German goodness), but 6mm is truly God's Own scale in painting and price. And if all your poo poo is from GHQ... no, a man is not meant to contemplate something that cool. I'm sorry, I'm tearing up a little.
I'm buying 6mm cold war stuff now. If I were doing WWII and was looking at GHQ's prices I'd say gently caress it and go with 15mm from PSC/Zvezda instead. Holy gently caress are GHQ crazy expensive for such tiny mans.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We have some pretty sweet historigoon blogs here. We should make a list in the op.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm buying 6mm cold war stuff now. If I were doing WWII and was looking at GHQ's prices I'd say gently caress it and go with 15mm from PSC/Zvezda instead. Holy gently caress are GHQ crazy expensive for such tiny mans.

Oh yeah, their manz (tanks) are about 2 bucks a pop (and more, I guess) in comparison to Heroic and Ros' dudes, but fuuuck me if that isn't some quality 6mm stuff. I have T-72s from Grendel and Heroics both, and I'm not happy about the quality. And GHQ has pictures, too. One other thing about GHQ is because of their mad dedication their barrels (and ankles on dudemen) are thinner and more brittle. But the detail is unparalleled. Grendel manz are both bigger somehow, and worse in detail.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

muggins posted:

We have some pretty sweet historigoon blogs here. We should make a list in the op.

Sure! Get me a list.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
CinC are a good alternative to GHQ. Cheaper and almost as nice. Smaller range but the staples are there

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Sure! Get me a list.

Blog club site (I'm involved in a few of them):
http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/

Samurai minis website that I need to update more:
http://www.muraminiatures.com

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Oh yeah, their manz (tanks) are about 2 bucks a pop (and more, I guess) in comparison to Heroic and Ros' dudes, but fuuuck me if that isn't some quality 6mm stuff. I have T-72s from Grendel and Heroics both, and I'm not happy about the quality. And GHQ has pictures, too. One other thing about GHQ is because of their mad dedication their barrels (and ankles on dudemen) are thinner and more brittle. But the detail is unparalleled. Grendel manz are both bigger somehow, and worse in detail.
The shipping is also pretty nasty from the US, or I can eat the exchange rate taxes applied twice from a UK reseller. TBH with Heroics and Ros being 50p a tank I don't care if they're not as good, because I just bought a short regiment for the price of a company.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I begrudgingly agree on that, I guess. Shipping kills.

CinC is half as as expensive as GHQ but at least in pictures their quality doesn't match the price.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JcDent posted:

I begrudgingly agree on that, I guess. Shipping kills.

CinC is half as as expensive as GHQ but at least in pictures their quality doesn't match the price.

I've got plenty of both and this far down the line with them painted, if you asked me to pick out which were GHQ and which CinC id struggle.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

At $6 per 4 tanks, I rather go with Grendel or Heroic and ross then.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Sure! Get me a list.

Freshcoastgaming.com is my club's blog. Not exclusively historic gaming but mostly at this point. Thanks

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JcDent posted:

At $6 per 4 tanks, I rather go with Grendel or Heroic and ross then.

Indeed. Although they are slightly smaller than GHQ. Tbf across a table when gaming they all look much the same.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

GHQ infantry looks great but man, they do not sculpt infantry to the strengths of the medium. There are a lot of rifle barrels and pointing fingers that bend if you even look at them too hard.

Stuff like a closed body posture really helps at this scale, and they're not getting the message.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I will agree that GHQ could sacrifice some realism to make barrels that would not collapse under the weight of a mouse's dream.

I think that GHQ stuff is slightly bigger. Well, it doesn't matter - the shipping costs alone mean that I'll have some God-awful mix of HnR and Grendel.

Just wish HnR put out some hi-res pictures of their stuff, especially infantry.

It really depends on the age of the mold, I guess. T-72 has seen some use while T-55AM is my fav non GHQ piece.

Grendel Hind is my most hated.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Finally continued with m'painting. Two stands of british infantry down. Feels good to be back at the bench properly. :unsmith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
FoW British or have you started another system? Post army lists for nitpicking, we demand it!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah flames. Going for some Guards Lorried Rifles but as they're infantry I'll likely use the core bits for a variety of british lists and change up whether the support's shermans, cromwells or churchills.

List I Could Be Using With Stuff I Have:

British Lorried Rifle
Infantry Company, Guards Armoured Division, from Overlord, page 104

Compulsory Lorried Rifle Company HQ (p.105) - CinC Rifle, 2iC Rifle (35 pts)

Compulsory Lorried Rifle Platoon (p.106) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 6x Rifle/MG (150 pts)
- 2x 3-ton lorry (5 pts)

Compulsory Lorried Rifle Platoon (p.106) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 6x Rifle/MG (150 pts)
- 2x 3-ton lorry (5 pts)

Lorried Rifle Platoon (p.106) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 6x Rifle/MG (150 pts)
- 2x 3-ton lorry (5 pts)

Lorried Carrier Platoon (p.107) - Command Universal Carrier, 2x Universal Carrier (80 pts)

Lorried Mortar Platoon (p.108) - Command Rifle, 2x Observer Rifle, 4x ML 3” Mk II mortar (100 pts)

Lorried Anti-tank Platoon (p.109) - Command Rifle, 4x OQF 6 pdr gun (late) (115 pts)

Lorried Machine-gun Platoon (p.110) - Command Rifle, 4x Vickers HMG (120 pts)

Lorried Heavy Mortar Platoon (p.110) - Command Rifle, Observer Rifle, 4x ML 4.2” mortar (130 pts)

Armoured Platoon (p.92) - Command Sherman II or V, Sherman II or V, Firefly VC (220 pts)

Armoured Platoon (p.92) - Command Sherman II or V, Sherman II or V, Firefly VC (220 pts)

1485 Points, 10 Platoons

JcDent
May 13, 2013

...no actual lorries :D

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

spectralent posted:

- 2x 3-ton lorry (5 pts)

- 2x 3-ton lorry (5 pts)

Lorried Rifle Platoon (p.106) - Command Rifle/MG, PIAT, Light Mortar, 6x Rifle/MG (150 pts)
- 2x 3-ton lorry (5 pts)

:colbert:

They're easy to miss.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

JcDent posted:

Flames of war in a nutshell.

I was reading on battle report that started along the lines of "We thought we'd mix things up and use some infantry for a change".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Also, were the Priest and Sexton different vehicles or were they just given different names? i.e. How bad would using Priests as Sextons be? :shobon:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'd swear it was a ninja-edit!

Grey Hunter posted:

Flames of war in a nutshell.

I was reading on battle report that started along the lines of "We thought we'd mix things up and use some infantry for a change".

That's why I'll be doing it in 6mm. Well, not "that", but the whole Parking Lot Syndrome thing coupled with I Don't Have That Much Money syndrome. Now I'm just looking to cut up some plywood or something for bases.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
liljonas' club:
http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/

liljonas' very own Samurai minis website:
http://www.muraminiatures.com

muggin's club:
https://freshcoastgaming.com

Is that it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Also, were the Priest and Sexton different vehicles or were they just given different names? i.e. How bad would using Priests as Sextons be? :shobon:
Basically just a different gun. 105mm howitzer vs a 20pdr. Nobody will ever notice unless they're spergy as gently caress, and even then fewer will care.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I've honestly thought about getting some 6/10mm WWII stuff to try making a smaller scale FoW here in Taiwan. Would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than trying to get the real thing. Maybe next time I'm in Taipei I'll see if I can't find some Zvezda stuff (people do still like military models).

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
How's Field of Glory? I know it's pretty big some places and at this point it seems to cover nearly the range that Hail Caesar/Pike and Shotte/Black Powder/Bolt Action does. Is it better at doing some things? I went with the Warlord games rules when I started because I'm an ex ham and they were familiar enough I figured I could sell my friends on it easily, but I'd be curious to hear what the other "big" system is like.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

How's Field of Glory? I know it's pretty big some places and at this point it seems to cover nearly the range that Hail Caesar/Pike and Shotte/Black Powder/Bolt Action does. Is it better at doing some things? I went with the Warlord games rules when I started because I'm an ex ham and they were familiar enough I figured I could sell my friends on it easily, but I'd be curious to hear what the other "big" system is like.

We're starting to experiment with Field of Glory: Renaissance. It has it's ups and downs, but this far we like the movement rules and how easy it is to mod units into the game. It is a bit of a slog the first games, as there are lots of things to keep track of ruleswise (print out some reference sheets for the love of God), and we haven't got used enough to the game that I dare to say if it is good or not. But our first test games were promising enough that we are keeping it as the main option for our coming Italian Wars-themed games, rather than getting Pike and Shotte.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Apparently CanCon had some Flames of War Pacific spoilers, if that's your jam; both Late War and Pacific War points totals included.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 25, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You're talking Flames of War, right?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

moths posted:

You're talking Flames of War, right?

Yep! I'm dumb. :downs:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

No worries, I was hoping Bolt Action was going to flesh out their Pacific stuff.

Any word on Tanks? I'm surprisingly excited for a fast-play tank game, but their title choice makes it hard to Google.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Isn't the next BA book set in Asia/Pacific? To give thpse dutch colonial troops someone to fight before BOOM BA 2E in September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is Bolt Action 2nd ed confirmed then?

It's a very strong system, but there are a few tweaks I'd like to see. Tanks need to be a tad more survivable - I've played lots of games where whoever drew the first dice just instantly blatted the enemy armour. Artillery and air strikes rules could be streamlined.