Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A Test of Will, the 'When Revealed' counter, is a must have for Spirit.

Peace and Thought sucks when you want to use your heroes for stuff (and since you're paying for good ones, you do). You don't really need card draw when Elrond wants the expensive allies to remain in the deck to play them more cheaply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
You have some good ideas there, especially considering the limited cards available. Here is a few of my thoughts:
- Playing a questing/Spirit dominated deck with out A Test of Will is a travesty. It kind of sucks to "have to include it" but the card is so good and will save your bacon....often.
- Protector of Lorien: Your idea is good, but with Eowyn already in your deck is this an attachment that could be dropped.
- Unexpected Courage underneath Events threw me off ;)
- Daeron's Runes is a good 0 cost card that can be considered. The nice thing is that it can help you quickly dig for required parts.
- Lorien's Wealth always struck me as expensive, unless you get to Vilya it into play I can't see playing it often. I don't mind Peace and Thought because sometimes you can afford to hold back a hero (once Glorfindel has LoV), but it isn't great either.
- The 3x of Snowborn Scout is tough. I get why it is there, but will you typically want to Vilya in a 1 cost ally with the other options in the deck?
- Personally I typically play with 2 Asfaloths, but that is a balance thing. If you don't have any better cards to sub in 3x is fine.

So I'd probably drop Snowbourn, Protector of Lorien, Lorien's Wealth to add Daeron's Runes, A Test of Will, Gleowine (can draw your buddy cards or quest), and maybe a Henamarth Riversong if there is some room because why not. Or consider tossing is another 1x big guy from leadership/tactics.

Really though Eowyn, Glorfindel, Elrond is probably my most played deck ever. Hope you enjoy it :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why the hell do you have a one-shot 6 cost Tactics ally that can only be paid for by one hero who's resources will be being competed for by every other card in your deck?

Ditch Faramir as well while you're at it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rarity posted:

Why the hell do you have a one-shot 6 cost Tactics ally that can only be paid for by one hero who's resources will be being competed for by every other card in your deck?

oh my god I totally forgot about that part of Elrond. Now Snowbourn scout makes sense. I am an idiot.

That said, Vilya is why thats in there. It is not uncommon to put a fatty or two of other spheres in a Vilya deck.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Really though Eowyn, Glorfindel, Elrond is probably my most played deck ever. Hope you enjoy it :)

Although I've bought all of Shadows of Mirkwood, Khazad-Dum, and Dwarrowdelf, I've only played through the first few adventures so far. Yet I'm wondering if I'll ever use a deck that doesn't include Eowyn (especially when playing two-handed).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

CaptainRightful posted:

Although I've bought all of Shadows of Mirkwood, Khazad-Dum, and Dwarrowdelf, I've only played through the first few adventures so far. Yet I'm wondering if I'll ever use a deck that doesn't include Eowyn (especially when playing two-handed).

I've gotten away from it in solo play, but often when I play with my buddies online I let them play other decks and run Eowyn for the team. That is often why I play something interesting like Elrond or Gandalf or something with her. Make the deck a bit more fun for me :P

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For solo play you start playing Spirit Glorfindel because of Asfaloth and Light of Valinor. At least, that's what I've ended up doing. The deck that does the best against the most scenarios for me is Conflict Frodo, Foundations Glorfindel, and Watcher Aragorn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChiTownEddie posted:

oh my god I totally forgot about that part of Elrond. Now Snowbourn scout makes sense. I am an idiot.

That said, Vilya is why thats in there. It is not uncommon to put a fatty or two of other spheres in a Vilya deck.

And I forgot about that part of Vilya, what a team we make! :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rarity posted:

I think Faramir is pretty sick. Oh, he's playing Spirit/Lore. Yeah.

What you should do Zephro is put that Faramir in your friend's Tactics/Leadership deck. Then get him to use Faramir but targeting you as the player. Then you run your dudes in for tons of quest progress.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'd try and get at least 1 more unexpected courage in there. Also not sure with your card pool but do you have burning brand? If you do make room for both. There will be occasions where you might need elrond ready to defend.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rarity posted:

And I forgot about that part of Vilya, what a team we make! :v:

:downs::respek::downs:

This is probably why we lost that last pbp so badly haha.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChiTownEddie posted:

:downs::respek::downs:

This is probably why we lost that last pbp so badly haha.

Throw as many Nazgul as you like at us and we're fine but one snowy mountain? Pssht, let's piss our pants like a bunch of babies :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

frgildan posted:

I'd try and get at least 1 more unexpected courage in there. Also not sure with your card pool but do you have burning brand? If you do make room for both. There will be occasions where you might need elrond ready to defend.

There's only one Unexpected Courage in the core.

And no Burning Brand.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Thanks everyone for the advice!

quote:

So I'd probably drop Snowbourn, Protector of Lorien, Lorien's Wealth to add Daeron's Runes, A Test of Will, Gleowine (can draw your buddy cards or quest), and maybe a Henamarth Riversong if there is some room because why not. Or consider tossing is another 1x big guy from leadership/tactics.
Done. Snowbourn was in there because I can play it with Elrond's ability (ie without Vilya) if I have to - is it just a bad card?

quote:

My understanding of Vilya is it lets you play anything off the top of your deck regardless of the cost, right? So I assumed splashing a couple of big allies from other spheres was a good way to leverage that. Or would that not work cos of resource mismatches?

quote:

There's only one unexpected courage in the core, alas. And nope, no Burning Brand - I think that's in Conflict at the Carrock, which I don't have.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Zephro posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Done. Snowbourn was in there because I can play it with Elrond's ability (ie without Vilya) if I have to - is it just a bad card?

See my second post. I realized I was being an idiot and TOTALLY FORGOT about Elrond's ability to play allies of any sphere. He's fine if you want more allies. It is not a great card, but in the context of the core set and cheap allies he is fine.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ChiTownEddie posted:

See my second post. I realized I was being an idiot and TOTALLY FORGOT about Elrond's ability to play allies of any sphere. He's fine if you want more allies. It is not a great card, but in the context of the core set and cheap allies he is fine.
Ah OK. I'll reinstate him, then. Thanks again for all the advice. Really looking forward to trying this all out (and getting stomped, heh).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Speaking of LOTR, I just got my badge to GenCon (first time going to a convention). I'm looking forward to doing the LotR event :D

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just got my badge to GenCon (first time going to a convention).

:getin:
You're in for a wild ride. It's a blast if not a little intense; hope you enjoy it.

Have any GoT players seen The Road to Winterfell in stores yet? It's listed as shipping, I believe the official street date is next week but just checking since FFG is invariably vague on their release dates and timing.

And speaking of conventions, they announced a new US Championship to be held at Origins Game Fair this year for anyone thinking about attending. North American Championship is still at GenCon.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Am I reading Into Ithilien correctly that a 5 strength guy will auto-attack each player unless you clear the location turn one?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Am I reading Into Ithilien correctly that a 5 strength guy will auto-attack each player unless you clear the location turn one?

What's the worst interpretation that will punish you the most?

It's probably that one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've not found any of the quests outside the core box to be very fun. Lost Realm feels like it was designed for powergamers who own everything.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sassassin posted:

I've not found any of the quests outside the core box to be very fun. Lost Realm feels like it was designed for powergamers who own everything.

Bummer. How much do you have? I can see it being pretty tough if you're relatively fresh into the cycles.
But that said, if you pad out your collection more maybe you'll start to see why a lot of think it is aaaamazing.

Whispering Voices
Nov 21, 2007
Obey and all will be well ...
All of Arda's a STAGE, and here's some questions for ye olde and experienced PLAYERS upon said stage. Specifically about mono-sphere decks in LOTR LCG. I realise they aren't as good as multi-sphere decks because they can't take all of the Test of Wills best cards and use them. However I would like to try some, bolstered by my massive artificial sense of superiority from me and my brother beating Escape from Dol Goldur with decks only from the Core set on our first go (very lucky guardians of the objectives).

I don't own all these cards by any stretch, but I want to know if this is valid enough to plan any sort of purchasing around. I've got a Leadership/Tactics deck prepped for this weekend but I really enjoy Lore and Spirit mechanically and thematically enough to take an effectiveness hit in order to try them as mono-sphere (I should also note I design for solo play). Anyhow, here are are the mono-Spirit and mono-Lore lists that I'd appreciate some advice for (on improving them, not on ditching them). I posted a question about this on cardgamedb.com but it had to be moderated or something and it's been two days and oh why is that forum so bad. Etc.

Mono-Spirit
Total Cards: (56)

This one needs to drop 4 cards. I'm thinking the Shadows Give Way (*2), one Northern Tracker and one Arwen Undomiel.

Hero: (3)
1x Eleanor (Core Set)
1x Eowyn (Core Set)
1x Glorfindel (Foundations of Stone)

Ally: (23)
3x Galadriel’s Handmaiden (Celebrimbor's Secret)
3x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Arwen Undomiel (The Watcher in the Water)
3x Imladris Stargazer (Foundations of Stone)
2x Lindir (The Battle of Carn Dûm)
3x Northern Tracker (Core Set)
3x White Tower Watchman (The Drúadan Forest)
3x Zigil Miner (Khazad-dum)

Attachment: (13)
3x Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone)
3x Map of Earnil (Assault on Osgiliath)
3x Silver Lamp (The Voice of Isengard)
2x The Favor of the Lady (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Event: (20)
3x Elven-light (The Dread Realm)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set)
3x Elrond's Counsel (The Watcher in the Water)
3x Fair and Perilous (Across the Ettenmoors)
3x Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
3x Lay of Nimrodel (The Morgul Vale)
2x Shadows Give Way (The Antlered Crown)

Questing: Glorfindel and Eowyn burn through quests. The Favour of the Lady should be put on Glorfindel first (see Attack section). Elrond's Counsel can be used on Eowyn to boost her to Willpower 5 if needed. In addition, as soon as an Elven-light is in the discard pile, you can pay 1 resource to cycle it back into your hand, draw a card, and discard it again with her ability. This gives 6 Willpower simply from Eowyn: combined with Glorfindel's 3 Willpower (4, once he gets The Favour of the Lady) this should be enough to burn through most threat piles, whilst allowing some delicate manipulation if only Eowyn is used for when pacing is needed. Galadriel's Handmaidens, Arwen Undomiel, and Northern Trackers provide extra Willpower for emergencies and Location destruction.

Encounter deck manipulation: Eleanor (in emergencies) and A Test of Will serve as emergency brakes on the Encounter deck.

Defending: defending is the weakest point of the deck. Eleanor is the primary defender, with Arwen Undomiel coming in to boost her to 3 Defence as soon as possible. Light the Beacons serves for an emergency, and in order the chump blockers are Lindir, Northern Tracker and White Tower Watchman. This deck does need to drop enemies as fast as it can, though. To mitigate against the risk of being overwhelmed by a lot of enemies, the Mono-Spirit deck uses the Silver Lamp to help you plan well for the combat. In particular, a couple of copies of Shadows Give Way (to remove all Shadow cards), and the three Hasty Strokes should remove any nasty surprises.

Attacking: Light of Valinor should keep Glorfindel available for attacks. The Northern Tracker and Gandalf are the only two allies that can contribute much to a fight, however Fair and Perilous can be used to allow Glorfindel to add his Willpower of 3 to his Attack of 3. If he's buffed with The Favour of the Lady that's Willpower 4, for a combined attack of 7. For emergencies or boss-type enemies, the combination of Imladris Stargazer (arrange top 5 cards of your deck), Zigil Miner (guess a number, discard top 2 cards of your deck, if one matches your number add that many resources to a hero) and Lay of Nimrodel (give a hero +1 Willpower for each resource in its pool) could easily boost Glorfindel's Willpower by another 3 (assuming 2 resource on him and 1 from Zigil Miner). This is the goal for getting rid of things like Trolls in Over Hill and Under Hill whilst Tom is still alive.

Threat Management: comes primarily from Elrond's Counsel (which can theoretically be recycled, in an emergency) and from Galadriel's Handmaidens. Gandalf could be switched to Core Gandalf if threat proves a severe problem in a scenario.

Deck support: there's limited extra resource generation (Imladris Stargazer/Zigil Miner), card recycling (Map of Earnil), and card drawing (two copies of Lindir, Elven-light recycling with Eowyn).

Obvious gaping flaws: defending. The Flies and Spiders stage where you can basically only win by having one hero with a trillion attachments who can quest, attack and defend whilst Bilbo frees the others. Attacking where you have to do a lot of damage with one hero very quickly.

Mono-Lore
Total Cards: (65)

Hero: (3)
1x Damrod (The Land of Shadow)
1x Rossiel (Escape from Mount Gram)
1x Pippin (The Black Riders)

Ally: (21)
3x Anborn (The Blood of Gondor)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Henamarth Riversong (Core Set)
3x Ithilien Archer (Encounter at Amon Dîn)
3x Master of the Forge (Shadow and Flame)
3x Warden of Healing (The Long Dark)
3x White Tower Watchman (The Drúadan Forest)

Attachment: (17)
2x Cloak of Lórien (Celebrimbor's Secret)
3x Forest Snare (Core Set)
3x Poisoned Stakes (The Blood of Gondor)
3x Protector of Lorien (Core Set)
3x Ranger Spikes (Heirs of Numenor)
3x Scroll of Isildur (The Morgul Vale)

Event: (27)
3x Advance Warning (The Drúadan Forest)
3x Distant Stars (Escape from Mount Gram)
3x Forest Patrol (Assault on Osgiliath)
3x Infighting (A Journey to Rhosgobel)
3x None Return (Across the Ettenmoors)
3x Mithrandir's Advice (The Steward's Fear)
3x Leave No Trace (Escape from Mount Gram)
3x Out of the Wild (Road to Rivendell)
3x The Door is Closed! (The Treachery of Rhudaur)

Questing: questing duties are carried out by Pippin and Damrod. Rossiel is the first target for Protector of Lorien because she's on defensive duty, but Damrod can take the second (he's more likely to have to defend than Pippin). Supplementary questing is carried out by any spare heroes. This deck is vulnerable to location overstack, and Distant Stars can help with this. For true emergencies, Leave No Trace can follow a Distant Stars and Rossiel can be used to quest - with any traits shared with a location, she'll have a significant willpower. This will require chump blocking if any enemies escape the staging area, or use of Advance Warning to prevent enemies engaging at all.

Encounter deck manipulation: Henemarth Riversong is vital to ensuring that traps are played correctly: his knowledge of what's coming up will tell you whether you need to put out a trap and if so, which trap will be best. The traps are key: Forest Snare takes an enemy out of the equation until you can find a way to deal with it. Ranger Spikes do similar but with Threat reduction (although they aren't directly targeted). Poisoned Stakes are a potent combination with Forest Snare. The Door is Closed will help this deck with late game quests, by giving semi-frequent respites from the encounter deck draw as the victory display fills up.

Defending: Rossiel is the primary Defender. With Protector of Lorien she can buff her Defence through discard. Cloak of Lorien gets her a flat extra Defence (and, in some Encounter decks, you'll be able to get out a Forest terrain when she needs it with Distant Stars). Combined with a match of enemy to victory display through None Returns, and Rossiel can break 5 Defence with the option to buff Defence higher with any spare cards you have.

Attacking: direct attacking is weak in this deck. Damrod and Pippin will probably spend most of their time questing, which leaves Anborn and the Ithilien Archers (and potentially Gandalf) as sources of attacks. The Ithilien Archers return enemies to the Staging area, which for this deck is very helpful because you can set up Poisoned Stakes and potentially Ranger Spikes or Forest Snares so the enemy gets -2 Threat, takes 2 damage a turn, and doesn't attack you. There are two further methods of getting damage where you need it: core Gandalf, and Infighting. If you are up against enemies that are immune to attachments, you're in a bad way. If you know you're coming up against such an enemy, find an enemy with a lot of health, block it and damage it with an attack or with Forest Patrol, then use Ithilien Rangers to punt it back to staging and keep it locked down with Ranger Spikes. Then when the enemy that's immune to attachments appears, you can move the damage over to the big threat with Infighting (which isn't an attachment).

Threat management: there is very little threat management here. There's indirect management through Pippin, and direct management through core Gandalf.

Deck support: this deck has a lot of support. Damrod gives card draw when one of your traps is fired (and that will happen a lot). Mithrandir's Advice in this mono-spirit deck lets you draw 3 cards for only 1 resource. The Scroll of Isildur is very cheap in this deck, just 1 resource, and lets you pull back the crucial and useful Events you need. Combining Pippin with Ithilien Archers late game, when you can comfortably defend with a buffed Rossiel, is essentially free card draw.

Obvious flaws: the most obvious flaw is that this deck is 65 cards. There are two themes in it, Traps and Victory Display Manipulation. It has a lot of card draw, so the size of the deck is less burdensome than in many cases, but you've still got only a 48% chance of getting Henamarth Riversong (probably the most crucial card) in your opening hand or mulligan hand. Still, with this much card draw he should be out not long after you start. It's also very gimicky: if you don't draw any traps for a while, you're in a sticky situation and you'll end up sacrificing valuable allies to chump block.

There are a number of things I considered - adding Denethor over Pippin (Denethor looks like he's an amazing complement to Trap decks), this would also free up Rossiel for questing since Denethor could undertake the early defences. However, that's an extra 2 threat (3 in practice for a trap deck, because of Pippin's passive). It also cuts out some card draw which in turn would necessitate some severe deck trimming.

It's possible that I should include Denethor and drop Rossiel and the cards supporting her (Cloak of Lorien*2, Leave No Trace*3, None Return*3, Out of the Wild*3, The Door is Closed*3), which trims the deck down to 51 cards of trap deck straight away. However, Denethor's only method of defence buff is Protector of Lorien, which requires discard to use - and unfortunately Will of the West is Spirit, not Lore. And he will have a hard time blocking when I'm using his ability every turn (or at least, every turn until Henamarth comes out). Of course the traps are meant to prevent the need for blocking - but against many of the tougher decks, getting Rossiel out and buffed is going to be a much better way of avoiding incoming damage each turn. If there was a reliable way of letting Anborn unexhaust and use his ability to retrieve traps multiple times per turn it would be fine - but there isn't. Wingfoot looks good as an addition (particularly with Denethor it becomes practically a Lore Light of Valinor) but there's still the horror of blocking. Of course: this might still be worth it. Rossiel has 14 cards to support her in her defensive role, which is a lot (although she becomes superb when finished, and with The Door is Closed, some encounter decks will be trivialised). Denethor can do the same role, relying on card draw to feed Protector of Lorien - and White Tower Watchman when all else fails - for far fewer cards and better trap synergy.

Whispering Voices fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 24, 2016

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Pics from the Warhammer 40k Conquest - Boundless Hate warpack:

http://imgur.com/a/vsA6u

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Rockker posted:

Pics from the Warhammer 40k Conquest - Boundless Hate warpack:

http://imgur.com/a/vsA6u

I think this is the best pack ever? There's a lot of good stuff there for basically everyone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

I think this is the best pack ever? There's a lot of good stuff there for basically everyone.

Yeah, even if the cards don't end up being used, a lot of them seem very useable. The only ones I'm really iffy on are the Tyranid cards. Sacaellum Infestors seems overpriced for what it does. Granted I say the same thing about Synaptic Link (and I think I'm right), but maybe there will be more/better infest options. And reasons for infesting, for that matter. And I'm still kinda iffy on Hive Mind/Termagant stuff. Flying isn't exactly that useful on (normally) 1 HP units, and although the unit itself is a remarkably solid 2/3 flying for 2, no command icons is a pretty big hit.

Units with a "taunt" effect are also generally really loving useful, although I don't know how much of that is because I tend to throw Stealth Cadres on the Tau one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Love the flavor of Neophyte Apprentice. Feels like tossing rookies into the churn in XCom.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Should I play Conquest or Thrones? i like both settings.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, even if the cards don't end up being used, a lot of them seem very useable. The only ones I'm really iffy on are the Tyranid cards. Sacaellum Infestors seems overpriced for what it does. Granted I say the same thing about Synaptic Link (and I think I'm right), but maybe there will be more/better infest options. And reasons for infesting, for that matter. And I'm still kinda iffy on Hive Mind/Termagant stuff. Flying isn't exactly that useful on (normally) 1 HP units, and although the unit itself is a remarkably solid 2/3 flying for 2, no command icons is a pretty big hit.

Units with a "taunt" effect are also generally really loving useful, although I don't know how much of that is because I tend to throw Stealth Cadres on the Tau one.

Sacaellum Infestors seems OK to me - it has some nice versatility, but most of my decks don't run that much infestation anyway. That said, I think the Gargoyles are incredibly good even if your deck doesn't play any other Termagant cards. 2/3 flying is a pretty great statline for 2 resources, and if you give it Regeneration it becomes totally nuts.

PJOmega posted:

Love the flavor of Neophyte Apprentice. Feels like tossing rookies into the churn in XCom.

Yeah. "This guy sucks, but if he proves himself in battle he might be somebody someday..."

Baron Porkface posted:

Should I play Conquest or Thrones? i like both settings.

Depends on what size of game you prefer - Conquest is better for 1v1, Thrones is better for bigger groups (at least IMO).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Favour of The Lady is quite expensive for what it is,

Silver Harp, Star Brooch and Miruvor would all tie in to things you're already doing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Fetterkey posted:

Depends on what size of game you prefer - Conquest is better for 1v1,

Elaborate please, aside from the fact that 3+ player conquest doesn't exist.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 24, 2016

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Conquest has more back and forth in the one v one with more opportunities for comebacks.

Thrones has multiplayer and plots are neat.

I'd go with conquest or whichever tickles you just right for setting

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron Porkface posted:

I find that the tactical decisions in Conquest are a lot more interesting, although I can't exactly articulate why. Maybe it's because it's less about amassing a giant horde of dudes and more about positioning the dudes that you do have where they'd be most useful. Like, for the most part, you don't want a completely overwhelming victory at a given (non-match point) planet, because doing so puts you in a weaker position later on.

Also Conquest doesn't have a Stasis deck as an entire faction, but that's just sort of a personal distaste. The closest is maybe Eldar, but even their control isn't quite as harsh as Baratheon's. I think right now though, the balance is a lot better in Conquest, although it does have one cycle of cards on AGOT.

The real answer is that you should play what your community plays or is willing to play.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Finally got to play a real game of conquest last Thursday, and seriously enjoyed it. Made a few rules mistakes but nothing too terrible.

Currently just in for a core + great devourer as that's the army I'd most like to run, other than 'nids and astra militarum that is.

Are people still advocating three cores for other races? Why? Don't you wind up with like six to nine of every card that way?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cassa posted:

Are people still advocating three cores for other races? Why? Don't you wind up with like six to nine of every card that way?

No, you end up with a lot of the neutrals, but for the most part, it's a 3 core game. It has a similar distribution to A Game of Thrones 2.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

No, you end up with a lot of the neutrals, but for the most part, it's a 3 core game. It has a similar distribution to A Game of Thrones 2.

Ah, I must have misunderstood the distribution of cards looking at the card building app.

May stick with Tyranids for a little while longer.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I find that the tactical decisions in Conquest are a lot more interesting, although I can't exactly articulate why. Maybe it's because it's less about amassing a giant horde of dudes and more about positioning the dudes that you do have where they'd be most useful. Like, for the most part, you don't want a completely overwhelming victory at a given (non-match point) planet, because doing so puts you in a weaker position later on.

Also Conquest doesn't have a Stasis deck as an entire faction, but that's just sort of a personal distaste. The closest is maybe Eldar, but even their control isn't quite as harsh as Baratheon's. I think right now though, the balance is a lot better in Conquest, although it does have one cycle of cards on AGOT.

The real answer is that you should play what your community plays or is willing to play.

I don't think Bara is nearly as strong as people first thought it was. It's probably top 3 behind Targ and Lanni. But the tools are in the game to deal with their kneel.

I played conquest a few times and didn't like it at all, meanwhile I have no interest in multiplayer Thrones. I think thrones is a better 1v1 game than conquest is, and the only difference is that the cardpool for conquest is larger right now, but that won't always be a factor. The 2nd chapter pack is coming out for thrones, and in the next 3 months there will be 2 more + a deluxe box.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

In general I find that Conquest is probably the best/deepest of all the card games I've tried for 1v1 play. There are a lot of options for how to use each card - do I want to deploy this unit to fight at the first planet, or to provide economy later down the line? Do I want to play this event, or save it to soak damage? Do I want my warlord to head down the line and snipe that enemy command unit? Reinforce one of my own units that I think the opponent might go after? Head straight to the first planet and battle it out?

Even combat math, which is often very simple in this sort of game, ends up being interesting and deep thanks to the shielding mechanic. In Magic, doing 2 damage to a 2 toughness unit will kill it most of the time - in Conquest there's much more of a dynamic where people whave the opportunity to use tricks.

Overall, Conquest strikes me as very strategic and interesting - a game where your cards have many uses and you need to carefully consider how best to use each one. The downside is that this depth makes multiplayer games overly complicated and time-consuming - while several groups have made unofficial rules for multiplayer games, either team games or FFAs, my experience with those has been less than thrilling. By comparison, Thrones is less deep and strategic in 1v1 - there's a cool plot mechanic, but aside from that there aren't really that many important decisions and most cards don't have a wide range of uses - but it has great official rules for multiplayer.

It's certainly possible that Thrones will grow into a deeper game and better rival Conquest for 1v1 play as the cardpool expands - it's still quite early, after all - but at this time Conquest holds my interest much better.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
RIP in peace Arwen, died on the road to Rivendell after 2 "deal 1 damage" effects came off the Encounter deck in the same turn and I didn't engage the evil crows so I wasn't able to Hasty Stroke the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

In my sleep deprived state I threw this together:

Sea Lions!

House Greyjoy / Banner of the Lion

Plots
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
2x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Rise of the Kraken (Taking the Black)

Characters
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Rattleshirt's Raiders (Core Set)
2x Alannys Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Asha Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Balon Greyjoy (Core Set)
1x Euron Crow's Eye (Core Set)
3x Maester Wendamyr (Core Set)
3x Theon Greyjoy (Core Set)
2x Black Wind's Crew (Core Set)
2x Iron Islands Fishmonger (Core Set)
2x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
3x The Hound (Taking the Black)

Locations
3x Great Kraken (Core Set)
2x Iron Fleet Scout (Core Set)
1x The Seastone Chair (Taking the Black)

Attachments
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
3x Throwing Axe (Core Set)

Events
3x Put to the Sword (Core Set)
3x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
3x The Kraken's Grasp (Core Set)
2x We Do Not Sow (Core Set)
2x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
2x Support of the People (Taking the Black)

Charts if you like charts I guess

The idea is unopposed challenges, bonuses for unopposed challenges, and keeping as many characters off their side of the board as possible. Initiative is key; I sacrifice econ for speed so I made it up by throwing in A Noble Cause and Support of the People. Thinking about subbing out Sneak Attack for Storm of Swords, too. Also don't really like Alannys Greyjoy but I run dangerously low on Intrigue without her. I suppose I could run x3 Little Bird, but I dunno. What do you all think? I haven't had a chance to actually test it; I ran some test draws through thronesdb.com, and it drew well, but execution might not be as smooth.

Edit: Already seeing I could use Kingsroad and Salty Navigator. Probably cut the Moneylender and Raiders?

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 26, 2016