Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was what Boku Dake did with its first few chapters a bait and switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was what Boku Dake did with its first few chapters a bait and switch?

I don't think so, I think it was basically introducing us and getting used to the concept of going back in time to fix a bad thing that happened.
So then after (early chapter spoilers) his mom is murdered and he's cornered by the police, you get the climactic moment where he tries to force it to happen again so he can undo her death and inadvertently gets sent back way, waaay further than the previous times where it was only like 1-2 minutes

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i never understood why the male god in eden brought the robot with him to the new dimension

or why the female god stopped mattering in the plot

that whole manga is a huge loving downer and i regret reading it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thanks to the buzz it was getting in the winter season thread I burned through all of "The Town Where Only I am Missing". I don't know how I ever missed this series, it was extremely my poo poo. I think I saw the initial description (which is only really applicable for the first couple of chapters). It reminded me a lot of another work I love a lot (don't want to say the name, since doing so would be a relatively big spoiler for that series).

Only downside to it was how painfully obvious who the murderer was. I wish there was a larger group of suspects in the 1988 arcs so that the author could have played up the reveal more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Thanks to the buzz it was getting in the winter season thread I burned through all of "The Town Where Only I am Missing". I don't know how I ever missed this series, it was extremely my poo poo. I think I saw the initial description (which is only really applicable for the first couple of chapters). It reminded me a lot of another work I love a lot (don't want to say the name, since doing so would be a relatively big spoiler for that series).

Only downside to it was how painfully obvious who the murderer was. I wish there was a larger group of suspects in the 1988 arcs so that the author could have played up the reveal more.

My favorite part of The Town Where Only I am Missing is actually the late 80's Japan nostalgia and Satoru hanging out with his elementary school buddies. I consider the whole murder mystery stuff to be just an acceptable sub-plot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The English title is "Erased" now, and thank gently caress for that because the normal title is a mouthful

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The English title is "Erased" now, and thank gently caress for that because the normal title is a mouthful

Actually, the correct English title is ERASED, in all caps. :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

The original name actually has kind of a thematic meaning in the story, I really don't get what Erased is supposed to be getting at.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
an accurate portrayal of accountants

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
XCom manga is pretty good.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thin mints, thin mints everywhere :cry:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

new march lion chapter!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Shiori Experience

FORD MUSTANG is a teeeeensy bit on the nose for an american name but I guess I can dig it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

new Shiori Experience

FORD MUSTANG is a teeeeensy bit on the nose for an american name but I guess I can dig it

Jesus, her brother is unironically a Bad Person. Literally a criminal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nowhere to go but up

Or in the bay with some concrete shoes, but yanno

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The Town Where Only I Am Missing got nominated for the 9th Manga Taisho award along with a couple of other seinen manga.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-18/9th-manga-taisho-awards-nominate-11-titles/.97690

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psyer posted:

The Town Where Only I Am Missing got nominated for the 9th Manga Taisho award along with a couple of other seinen manga.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-18/9th-manga-taisho-awards-nominate-11-titles/.97690

There's an anime out for this now as well. Only in the 2nd episode but the adaptation seems pretty good so far?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

psyer posted:

It was nominated in 2014 and 2015 as well, so third time in a row.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

psyer posted:

Dungeon Meshi and Golden Kamuy are also nominated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of which: The Town Where Only I Am Missing 35

Nice to see Airi again, probably more so for long-time readers since it's been a long time since she was around whereas for me I had just binged the whole thing so the start is still relatively fresh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I was wondering (life is strange spoilers contained herein)if she'd show up again considering he never met her at the pizza place job. I was half expecting a Life Is Strange-esque rewind from a totally changed history because it invalidated literally half of the entirety of the 5 seasons in that case, and she was a fairly major character in the history before he went all the way back and truly changed things to get to now

I'm actually kinda worried about the ending though. If it's ending concurrent with the anime, and the anime's 12 episodes, that's only 2 chapters left since it's monthly, right? I mean, we know who did it at this point, but it seems like a bit of a rush to do all this now, explain the time powers(if they actually will), and have a not-impotent epilogue in a mere two chapters.

I guess we'll see!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought the raws were up to 40 or so chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, I thought they'd caught up. That's promising then!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

BokuMachi currently has 42 chapters out. Chapter 43 should be out Feb 4th or so, and it seems probable that ch 44 will be the last one, around March 4th.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Speaking of which: The Town Where Only I Am Missing 35

Nice to see Airi again, probably more so for long-time readers since it's been a long time since she was around whereas for me I had just binged the whole thing so the start is still relatively fresh.

Isn't he younger now than he was at the start of the manga? I forget what it said, but I think he's 25 or something and he was in his late 20's at the start of the manga. At which point Airi was (I think) a senior in high school, so I guess she must be a first-year now (since she has a high-school uniform)?

I'm a little worried his mom might get killed again or something, though I think in the long run she'll end up alive (since that was what motivated the start of his "adventure" in the first place). Once the teacher finds out Satoru is awake and remembering things, I doubt he's going to be willing to let him be.

God, all these comments complaining about him not ending up with Kayo and calling it "NTR". What is wrong with people

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 20, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't he younger now than he was at the start of the manga? I forget what it said, but I think he's 25 or something and he was in his late 20's at the start of the manga. At which point Airi was (I think) a senior in high school, so I guess she must be a first-year now (since she has a high-school uniform)?

You know every chapter comes with a date, right? And that you can subtract dates to get a time duration?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

You know every chapter comes with a date, right? And that you can subtract dates to get a time duration?

Actually I didn't notice, thanks. So it looks like he's 2 years younger than he was at the beginning, making Airi a first-year.

edit: Haha, it's funny reading the anime thread. I remember being kind of relieved that (spoilered just in case) Kenya had nothing at all to do with the crimes and was just a really smart dude who wanted to help his friend. Mostly because it would have been really ridiculous and stereotypically "anime" for a kid to be behind a murder spree.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 22, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So a translation group has picked up Nanika Mochigattemasu Ka. It's by the Bokurano/Narutaru guy and it's basically the same plot as Destroy and Revolution but worse. The main character goes from 0 to murder hilariously quick and their way to improve society is so dumb. I guess maybe that's the point? The authors other works are usually pretty self-aware.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

RatHat posted:

So a translation group has picked up Nanika Mochigattemasu Ka. It's by the Bokurano/Narutaru guy
Stopped reading here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Never read Narutaru 'cause it seemed gross but I thought Bokurano was pretty good, if a bit edgy for no reason.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RatHat posted:

So a translation group has picked up Nanika Mochigattemasu Ka. It's by the Bokurano/Narutaru guy and it's basically the same plot as Destroy and Revolution but worse. The main character goes from 0 to murder hilariously quick and their way to improve society is so dumb. I guess maybe that's the point? The authors other works are usually pretty self-aware.

Ja, it definitely feels like it's supposed to be "Everyone Is An Idiot/Psycopath: The Manga".

It's also been picked up and dropped, uh, two? Three? Times now, so I wouldn't get too invested if I were you.

Bad Seafood posted:

Stopped reading here.

Well hey, we got a loving great OP out of Narutaru at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIF5BLyh3Mk

Bokurano too, now that I think about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIVXmoRaiqM

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah, I remember trying to pick that up early on before it had many chapters and it was really weird because I'd just started Destroy and Revolution (which was still decent at the time).
I think Narutaru is a manga definitely worth reading. Bokurano too to some degree though it's like, super dreary and depressing. Too bad this guy's new stuff doesn't look very good.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I remember trying to pick that up early on before it had many chapters and it was really weird because I'd just started Destroy and Revolution (which was still decent at the time).
I think Narutaru is a manga definitely worth reading. Bokurano too to some degree though it's like, super dreary and depressing. Too bad this guy's new stuff doesn't look very good.

Bokurano is pretty much an adaptation of Shirley Jackson's The Lottery as a mecha anime, yes. I saw the first few episodes of Narutaru but don't remember anything about them except a feeling of unease and dread. "Uninstall" is a great song, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just as I was wondering if it was cancelled a new chapter of Immortal Hounds appears. Nothing happens.

By the way I thought it was licensed by Crunchyroll but I don't see it on their list of manga so I guess not? I'll remove the link if I'm wrong.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That was a decent enough chapter, I liked it as a nice change of pace from all the over the top shock and battling of recent chapters. keeping a criminal diary though?? Seriously? Cmon now. You afraid you're going to forget? Why would you ever have the phrase "kill Kenzaki" fuggin anywhere.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

Just as I was wondering if it was cancelled a new chapter of Immortal Hounds appears. Nothing happens.

By the way I thought it was licensed by Crunchyroll but I don't see it on their list of manga so I guess not? I'll remove the link if I'm wrong.

Even though a lot about Immortal Hounds can be really tacky and dumb, I have to admit that it still definitely makes me want to find out where the plot is going and what is going to happen with these characters (I find both the head detective guy and Rin pretty interesting, though moreso the detective). Which I guess is ultimately the most important thing in writing a story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couple of new Town Where Only I am Missing chapters. I'm not sure I fully get what they're going for with that title drop but whatever, manga continues to be great. Surprised it took this long for that creep to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ytlaya posted:

Even though a lot about Immortal Hounds can be really tacky and dumb, I have to admit that it still definitely makes me want to find out where the plot is going and what is going to happen with these characters (I find both the head detective guy and Rin pretty interesting, though moreso the detective). Which I guess is ultimately the most important thing in writing a story.

I'm looking forward to immortal hounds being over so the artist can do something cool again like uwagaki and not the dumb gorefest that is immortal hounds