Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Those Marines are really cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Crossposting from the 40k thread, hope that's okay:

I love them, clean, sharp, I'd love to own them. You actually make me want to paint some marines (I haven't painted a marine since 1996 or so!), I got some laying around in the bitzbox might give them a shot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I haven't so much as touched a brush in 8 months. I think I'll try something this weekend though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

You guys club baby seals don't you?

"Sable/Kolinsky Brushes are not really made from sable hair at all. The hair comes from the tail of a species of mink that is a member of the weasel family, and is found in Siberia and northeastern China. Because of its strength, spring, and ability to retain shape ("snap"), it is considered the finest fiber for watercolor and oil brushes. It holds a very fine point or edge. Kolinsky is considered to be a professional grade of hair, and if properly cared for, it will last for many years.

Red Sable is obtained from any weasel with "red" hair, not from the animal known as the sable. It is found in a variety of brush styles for many varied mediums, with quality and characteristics that vary greatly. A quality pure red sable brush is a good alternative to the more expensive Kolinsky, with similar performance and durability."

There were some issue importing it when some other well meaning idiots thought it was being harvested from endangered sables. I think its cleared up now as I can see them for sale in the US again.

Its from a relatively common weasel and cut from the the tail, not plucked. The animal is fine.

I wouldnt mind some baby seal brushes though

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Fauxtool posted:

There were some issue importing it when some other well meaning idiots thought it was being harvested from endangered sables. I think its cleared up now as I can see them for sale in the US again.

I thought part of it was that the Department of Agriculture requires certain paperwork for importation of animal products, and almost all of the Kolinsky Sable brushes didn't have that because they're ultimately harvested from the same region (which didn't have the paperwork in order).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avenging Dentist posted:

I thought part of it was that the Department of Agriculture requires certain paperwork for importation of animal products, and almost all of the Kolinsky Sable brushes didn't have that because they're ultimately harvested from the same region (which didn't have the paperwork in order).

probably, the important thing being that buying them does not make you a bad person

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

probably, the important thing being that buying them does not make you a bad person

it's ok, i'm already a bad person :smith:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Those poor weasels, getting embarrassing haircuts and being made fun of in weasel high school...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

I haven't so much as touched a brush in 8 months. I think I'll try something this weekend though.

You tempted by Corax? I can't be hosed painting that much black

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Skarsnik posted:

I just looked this model up and wow does Corax look fugly.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

Its from a relatively common weasel and cut from the the tail, not plucked. The animal is fine.
Keep on believin'. They aren't endangered, but the Chinese and Russians sure as hell aren't catching them, plucking out some fur, and releasing them.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slimnoid posted:

I just looked this model up and wow does Corax look fugly.

Its a shame they basically did a copy paste of most of Konrad, but the wings are cool

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Whipped up some Wights for Kings of War.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross posting from the oath thread. Not sure on the yellow and brown theme I did for the PHR, thinking of doing the rest of my sizeable PHR force in the more traditional white which is depicted below in three of the neptunes. Would love to hear opinions.

~~~~~~~~
Oath Complete! I am claiming the technical challenge jurnal for the white Neptures, LordAba's retro challenge for the 1980 beholder, and the speed paint challenge for the beholder.

Hey guys!

PHR Neptunes in flight with some walkers and treded vehicles attached. (note the yellow and brown neptunes were not part of the oath, I did them as a color test for the other PHR models I painted this month and just stuck them in the picture)

PHR walkers and other ground vehicles

Queen Beruthial and some of her cat spies. N Scale cats are super super super tiny.

A hoard of Black Numenorians!

Everyone for the month together.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

berzerkmonkey posted:

Keep on believin'. They aren't endangered, but the Chinese and Russians sure as hell aren't catching them, plucking out some fur, and releasing them.

yeah they are keeping them locked in cages and harvesting off live animals. Its not nice but its no worse than the treatment of chickens in egg farms.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fauxtool posted:

yeah they are keeping them locked in cages and harvesting off live animals. Its not nice but its no worse than the treatment of chickens in egg farms.

It's also way less bad than my leather shoes or my hamburger. I'm actually surprised I have never heard of a serious painter who only uses synthetics for animal rights reasons, honestly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I made another tank.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What are the bulbs on the back of the turret? I've never seen those before.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looks like stahlhelms hanging on hooks to me

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Got some 30k stuff yesterday, so here's my first painted thing in a few years.

Lessons learned.

1) Brushes don't store well with their bristles pressed against a box for long periods
2) I remembered why I primed white in the past, that red took so many thin coats over black.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

richyp posted:

Lessons learned.

1) Brushes don't store well with their bristles pressed against a box for long periods
2) I remembered why I primed white in the past, that red took so many thin coats over black.

Garbage as usual, please chop off your hands to prevent future crimes against little plastic men.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

richyp posted:

Lessons learned.

That is a nice red though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

richyp posted:

Lessons learned.

Fuckin' aces

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

I have some ideas for how I'd paint him, but i'm just not enthused about it. Perturabo has sat undercoated on a shelf since I got him in May. The last 2 primarchs have just been a bit uninspiring.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Who knows what this miniature is and where I can get one if its still around? I assume its for Blood Bowl, but I can't find anything on it and since there are enough non-GW places that make Blood Bowl figures still I am wondering if it might be from one of them.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

nesbit37 posted:

Who knows what this miniature is and where I can get one if its still around? I assume its for Blood Bowl, but I can't find anything on it and since there are enough non-GW places that make Blood Bowl figures still I am wondering if it might be from one of them.

I think I've seen it on http://www.comixininos.com/ worth a try checking.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

nesbit37 posted:

It was made by Goblin Forge, but appears to be out of print.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Indolent Bastard posted:

It was made by Goblin Forge, but appears to be out of print.

Thanks! Info from you both was very helpful. Apparently its full name is Micheline Tendresse and I found some in stock at Figone.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

oath thread xpost

So, righty here was my first attempt at the retro challenge. It didn't photograph very well, so I tried a much simpler scheme for lefty. Then righty photographed much better the second time. Light, man, I dunno.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Just wrapped up my first painted unit for the year. Also need to sort out a better way to photograph them, the light's too harsh, makes them look gloss varnished. Thinking putting up some thin cloth will help.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Before I go experimenting and learning things the hard way...

Does it work to mix metallic and non-metallic acrylics? I want to make a sort of patina'd/dirty steel and I'm not sure if the best way is to mix some brown or green with my steel metallic or to go at it with glazes and washes after I have a steel basecoat down.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a crisis here that might get me painting again if I can figure it out

I saw this pop up on facebook. Not mine, but here:

Nearly every color choice here is not what I would've done, but all of the colors seem to work really well together. I don't really get how to pick out highlight and shade colors like this though. I've read a lot of intro color theory stuff, and that's nice for coming up with general color schemes, but this mini highlights just what I don't really get about putting it into practice. What colors to use, I can figure out. Where to put them, I'm still figuring that out.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you're interested in composition and color theory, I highly recommend looking at "traditional" visual arts. Get some books on color theory (I wouldn't mind some book recommendations either), go to museums, take a class, etc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Unfortunately I've looked into classes and they do not fit my schedule/budget but I would love a recommendation on color theory literature that goes over more than just analogous/compound/complementary etc..

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One of the simplest color composition lessons is to work in triangles. For instance, on that Ork, you'll note that the kneepads and the helmet are the same colors/shading. Similarly with the foot-wraps and wrist-wrap. Same with the green of his arms and face. The blue on the shoulders and tunic bottom is an inverse triangle the same way. Once you've set out your primary triangles, you use those same colors to tie in any disparate elements (like the tan and blue on the gun). The biggest thing to keep in mind for this final step is that you don't want two different objects next to each other to be painted the same color. If this means you need to add a color to ensure separation, then so be it. Just make sure it complements one of the existing colors well (or is neutral, like the grey of his pants).

From a color perspective, that Ork is a very well-composed mini.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The skin and the light beige are desaturated so they don't fight with the blue and richer yellow-brown being used on the straps and boots. He avoided using extra colors by reusing the brown from the straps as shading on the orks' arm, and the blue from the tunic as highlight on the gun.

So he didn't just pick triangles for the position of the colors, he used the colors from the other triangle in each other, but deemphasized them when appropriate.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Floppychop posted:

Before I go experimenting and learning things the hard way...

Does it work to mix metallic and non-metallic acrylics? I want to make a sort of patina'd/dirty steel and I'm not sure if the best way is to mix some brown or green with my steel metallic or to go at it with glazes and washes after I have a steel basecoat down.

You can mix them, but the result will be "less metallic" since you're spreading the same amount of shiny bits across more paint. If that's what you want, great. The glazes and washes also work.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I did a dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

No, I"m afraid not. Kolinskys don't do well in captivity. They're also considered a pest animal. They're typically trapped and killed for their fur. If that bothers you, then you shouldn't use kolisnky brushes. I'm okay with it, so I prefer them, but it's hardly cruelty-free. For what it's worth, it's probably less cruel than fur farms would be.