Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

KittyEmpress posted:

I have tried Summoner and Destroyer now, and got both to 15... And I have to say, I am not super impressed with either.

The Summoner feels like I have a single good damaging ability [my RMB], while my Destroyer... I dunno, I feel like I do way less damage than the summoner, while also being more complicated. I also am having trouble with learning what I should actually do when I grab things on the Destroyer. I mean I mostly hit F like 3-4 times and then hit z to slam them down, then RMB, but it feels like basically everything is surviving that full combo, and then hitting me a bunch.

Maybe I'm just expecting things to die too quickly?

I'm not enjoying having to facetank things though.

In the early 20s you get a knock up you can use from grab, and a piledriver move to follow it up. Before then either body slam (z) or headbutt (x) are your best bets.

Once you get talent points try speccing right click into Eradicate as well, it's pretty useful early on. Destroyers generally have very high burst damage and then a bunch of CC and defensive abilities to use outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

kaempfer0080 posted:

What does crafting get you in this game? It always seems like a less efficient alternative in modern MMOs. Is there any reason to do it?

A lot of the time gathering resources is the only useful thing as a random idiot you can do to help since the poopsockers all do whatever market garbage to craft, but in this game all the crafting is done with contracts with NPC guilds which all take a certain amount of time and you can only make one thing at a time per guild, and the max is 4, so it'll actually pay off. In theory if you're part of a guild that makes desirable things.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Velveteen posted:

I thought weaponsmiths made special expensive skins you use to reskin your weapon with?

this is probably the case, tbh, i haven't crafted a blight weapon (or any weapon really) so i don't really know

KittyEmpress posted:

I have tried Summoner and Destroyer now, and got both to 15... And I have to say, I am not super impressed with either.

The Summoner feels like I have a single good damaging ability [my RMB], while my Destroyer... I dunno, I feel like I do way less damage than the summoner, while also being more complicated. I also am having trouble with learning what I should actually do when I grab things on the Destroyer. I mean I mostly hit F like 3-4 times and then hit z to slam them down, then RMB, but it feels like basically everything is surviving that full combo, and then hitting me a bunch.

Early levels summoner gets a lot of mileage out of a 1 > 2 > F > RMB x infinity combo; you can easily blow up packs of 3 or more doing that as long as you line up your 2. Later levels its still effective, but you lose the one shot capability that the lower levels had.

Summoner at the mid to late game is more about control and abusing the range/cc it has via root, cat knockdown and cat pounce over raw damage output (although rumblebees is still a heavy hitter)

e: i keep forgetting about sunflower, use that instead of rumblebees

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah you need to play both classes for another 5-10 levels so you can actually get some skill points and start making some of their skills more useful. Summoner wants it for Sunflower on RMB, more regen on Doom n Bloom, and cat taunt on Q and Destroyer wants some points into both LMB and RMB so you can start animation canceling them together and do damage more quickly.

Summoner-wise, Sunflower hits anything it passes over so it's great for aoe and it can be shot while moving, you can gather things up and have your cat taunt them and nuke them all down while they're stacked up. Also, don't underestimate the DoT damage from Flying Nettles and Ivy Poison (Doom n Bloom applies it, as do the 1 and 2 abilities if they have some points in them).

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

cathead posted:

Yeah you need to play both classes for another 5-10 levels so you can actually get some skill points and start making some of their skills more useful. Summoner wants it for Sunflower on RMB, more regen on Doom n Bloom, and cat taunt on Q and Destroyer wants some points into both LMB and RMB so you can start animation canceling them together and do damage more quickly.

Summoner-wise, Sunflower hits anything it passes over so it's great for aoe and it can be shot while moving, you can gather things up and have your cat taunt them and nuke them all down while they're stacked up. Also, don't underestimate the DoT damage from Flying Nettles and Ivy Poison (Doom n Bloom applies it, as do the 1 and 2 abilities if they have some points in them).

I assume Sin is the same way? Most of the neat stuff that the class is capable of seems gated behind skill points.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cathead posted:

I'm way too laggy to animation cancel consistently so I specced my destroyer into spinning wildly everywhere instead. SURPRISINGLY effective even in PvP. A lot of people just seem unable to deal with a destroyer never stopping spinning into them. I've seen so many assassins and summoners panic when they realize I'm not stopping my spin.

Edit: I also like how Destroyers are probably the best class against a summoner (besides maybe another summoners) due to the fact that our long disable is also a long range toss so it's easy to separate the summoner from their sleeping cat.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 25, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've been poking through the thread trying to find anyone on who I can ask for an invite to the Old Man Cho guild for an hour with no real luck. Did everyone dump the server and move back to Mushin?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

jaffyjaffy posted:

I assume Sin is the same way? Most of the neat stuff that the class is capable of seems gated behind skill points.

Yeah, you'll need some points before you can do the whole "stay in stealth forever and attack from it" shenanigans.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm way too laggy to animation cancel consistently so I specced my destroyer into spinning wildly everywhere instead. SURPRISINGLY effective even in PvP. A lot of people just seem unable to deal with a destroyer never stopping spinning into them. I've seen so many assassins and summoners panic when they realize I'm not stopping my spin.

Edit: I also like how Destroyers are probably the best class against a summoner (besides maybe another summoners) due to the fact that our long disable is also a long range toss so it's easy to separate the summoner from their sleeping cat.
This is probably going to eventually stop working in PvP but I hope you get to keep spinning for a long time before that happens, buddy. :patriot:

jk I'm a summoner, gently caress destroyers I hope u get owned nerd :argh:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Play assassin. The only time you facetank is when you gently caress up bad. And if you do it right vs single targets you'll never even get hit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cathead posted:

Yeah, you'll need some points before you can do the whole "stay in stealth forever and attack from it" shenanigans.

This is probably going to eventually stop working in PvP but I hope you get to keep spinning for a long time before that happens, buddy. :patriot:

jk I'm a summoner, gently caress destroyers I hope u get owned nerd :argh:

Get spun on scrub, also gently caress your stupid dandelion stealth bullshit, that move is so frustrating in PvP.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
On the subject of facetanking, are you unable to get out attacks from NPCs? I'm used to something like TERA, where I can just wander behind things that are trying to attack me and cause them to miss, but I seemed to be getting hit no matter how hard I was circle strafing on the level ~10 blade dancer I made yesterday.

Also, BROTHER HAJOON wanted to teach me about combos, which seems cool, but then he just told me to try right clicking twice after using my 1 skill (that was definitely not called "Boot" anymore, but nobody told the VA). It didn't seem to cause more damage or otherwise indicate "You Did A Combo" other than giving me points toward quest completion. He showed me another "combo" later where they wanted me to use my ranged bleed, than force grab, then immediately waste the force grab timer to slam them down and use "stomp". I figured the need to not use any of the other skills while the target was grabbed was probably just a quest completion tracking thing, but is there ever a reason I should use stomp? It seems to restore the same amount of MP/orbs/gems as just left clicking, but for a small fraction of the damage.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Zweihander01 posted:

Cool stuff. I didn't realize Blitz had a draw-in talent, that's neat. I get that "Pierce Defense" means it goes through Block/Parry, but what's resist damage/status about?

Resist Damage = i-frame like Searing Strike, Fury (on-cast), Backstep, Ram T4S2, Tab Escape
Resist Status = resist certain status effects like Hurricane is resistant to Stun, Daze, Knockback. Typhoon T2S2 is resistant to Stun, Snare, KD, KB, Drag, Phantom Grip and Airborne

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rhymenoserous posted:

Play assassin. The only time you facetank is when you gently caress up bad. And if you do it right vs single targets you'll never even get hit.

I'm considering it, I might try an assassin. Or I might wait until I get both of the classes I have to 20ish, to see if it really does improve a lot.

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
I've got a stupid question with regards to building a destroyer, namely, is it currently worth it to take the single target cleave that can be animation cancelled over eradicate? I've been finding the AoE to be a little more helpful in things like the Blackman Supply Chain and it's made the question of whether to attack the cat or the summoner in arena pvp a bit less of a question.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You absolutely shouldn't be taking the AoE upgrade for Pvp because the only way you're going to kill anybody good is by animation cancelling lb/rb into stunned opponents.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Just logged onto Old Man Cho without a que, so waiting for the rush to pass paid off.

Time to enjoy some Wuxia-Anime video game.

Edit: Whatever Goon guild is on Old Man Cho throw CJ Free an invite.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 25, 2016

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

halfhazardKnight posted:

I've got a stupid question with regards to building a destroyer, namely, is it currently worth it to take the single target cleave that can be animation cancelled over eradicate? I've been finding the AoE to be a little more helpful in things like the Blackman Supply Chain and it's made the question of whether to attack the cat or the summoner in arena pvp a bit less of a question.

For PvP you definitely want the animation cancel version; Eradicate will whiff a lot on mobile opponents and it's less single target damage, which is what you care about. For PvE Eradicate is pretty godly until you get Rage and Wrath, at which point being able to go into total berserker fury mode and annihilate mobs makes the cancellable cleave pretty great. You've got the 2-point version of Tornado for AoE packs at that point too, which means you don't need the constant AoE as much.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

Just logged onto Old Man Cho without a que, so waiting for the rush to pass paid off.

Time to enjoy some Wuxia-Anime video game.

The rush has passed eh? Might try joining one of the Goon servers then. Not like much'll need to be redone at least, only just started playing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MShadowy posted:

The rush has passed eh? Might try joining one of the Goon servers then. Not like much'll need to be redone at least, only just started playing.

I thought Old Man Cho was one of the Goon servers?

Or did a lot just roll there waiting for Mushin to open up?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

I thought Old Man Cho was one of the Goon servers?

Or did a lot just roll there waiting for Mushin to open up?

I believe it is, but there's more than one and I'm not sure where I'd like to go. That's all.

Edit: I'll probably go Old Man Cho as well. Hopefully the queue is still clear when I'm free.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 25, 2016

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

I have to say my experiences with world PVP so far as a Red on Mushin have been kinda poo poo. The Blue faction knows where the quest givers are and have bored 45s just sitting there camping them. What makes it sad is that they are literally killing people as they load in, before they even are able to move inside the zone. Think NCSoft really needs to look into giving a small window of immunity to let you actually load a zone.

I also have the guess, just from watching, that they've put the 'in the world' quest givers for Blue and Red in the exact same spot? I guess they are trying to force combat to happen, but it seems kinda retarded. I expect things will get better as people slowly level their way up to 45 and it balances out but at the moment, its a lot of channel hopping and sneaking around to get the quests done.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mao posted:

I have to say my experiences with world PVP so far as a Red on Mushin have been kinda poo poo. The Blue faction knows where the quest givers are and have bored 45s just sitting there camping them. What makes it sad is that they are literally killing people as they load in, before they even are able to move inside the zone. Think NCSoft really needs to look into giving a small window of immunity to let you actually load a zone.

I also have the guess, just from watching, that they've put the 'in the world' quest givers for Blue and Red in the exact same spot? I guess they are trying to force combat to happen, but it seems kinda retarded. I expect things will get better as people slowly level their way up to 45 and it balances out but at the moment, its a lot of channel hopping and sneaking around to get the quests done.

Give up and switch to blue, there's no reason to deal with that garbage

Edit: Especially since you can sell the soulstones you get from the PvP missions for 30+ silver each and the quests are virtually unfinishable when you get ganked by hordes of morons walking around as a crimson. World pvp is always terrible.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 25, 2016

Fat_Jacks
May 8, 2004
Yo Mines !!!
Just joined the Crimson Legion faction on Mushin. Any clan spots available for Shanghai Goon?

player is Bobajin.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do KFMs handle multiple mobs at later levels?

My KFM is only like 12, and I'm having a blast fighting mobs one-on-one with counters and dodges and stuff... but as soon as there are 2+ mobs I completely lose track and just mash buttons :saddowns: As a related question; is it viable to put a bunch into self-healing as a babby solo spec?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
What kind of build should I be aiming for as a BD in PvE? I've mostly been just boosting everything related to Sunder and wind stuff while ignoring my draw stance and most CC-related skills, am I doing it completely wrong? It seems to be working pretty fine, but then again I suspect I'd still cut through mobs like a hot knife in butter with any kind of skill spec at this point (level 39 atm).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
At what point do classes begin to really open up and you get to play around with their toolbox? I've managed a few up to level 10-12 so far trying to get a handle on what I like but obviously at such a low level it's nothing more than 'LB LB LB 2 2 2' with a block or dodge mixed in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probably around 20 or so?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Lemming posted:

Probably around 20 or so?

Yeah. Some, like BD, are late bloomers though.

Also past a certain point (level 15 maybe?), it takes 7 days to delete a character. So if you don't want to buy more slots, you pretty much only get 2 choices before you commit.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
"Warlock is coming a lot sooner than you think. It's in there, we just have to flip the switch. It's coming very very soon. It'll be coming with the nerfed December skill patch, so it won't be as OP as you might be expecting."

Specifically calling out how the Warlock loot dropping isn't a bug, just a tease. So it sounds like that 18 days thing someone mentioned earlier might not be too far off.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The chinaman gold spam in Mushin is dreadful. Spending the first few minutes logging in and having through sort that out is horrible.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Make a tab with Region, Faction, and the Dragon Party stuff turned off. Then you don't have to worry about it ever again.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Had a friend try to kill my summoner. He's a KFM, same level.

No matter what he did, or how carelessly I didn't give a poo poo, he couldn't do anything to me. I stayed near full life as did my cat.

How are KFM supposed to fight summoners?

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

What kind of build should I be aiming for as a BD in PvE? I've mostly been just boosting everything related to Sunder and wind stuff while ignoring my draw stance and most CC-related skills, am I doing it completely wrong? It seems to be working pretty fine, but then again I suspect I'd still cut through mobs like a hot knife in butter with any kind of skill spec at this point (level 39 atm).

I think its tough to give a 'best build' like you would find in other MMOs, since a lot of it has to do with what you as a person like playstyle wise and how well you manage things. Do you like the blinks, do they confuse you etc? Now having said that...

Do not overlook draw stance. I've found that if I really just need to dump a poo poo tonne of damage in a hurry, draw stance is awesome and seems to work better for me than trying to get rolling typhoon. Experiment around, but I've enjoyed having 3 points in the lightning RMB that gives me the blink, and then the lightning F key that gives me the line AOE for PvE. The single target F is more damage, but I like the utility and zipping around to move behind the boss and stay out of the poop and its also awesome for just burning down adds.. Same thing with the RMB blink. Its a 6s cooldown and you can use it to try and trigger more Electric Spirits and more Fs, or to refresh your chi and do more left clicks and it also helps move you out of boss poop. That being said, you need to be careful not to blink into AOEs, which is usually very painful.

For PvE I've found I don't like the Take flight as much. Its tough to get off in boss fights with everyone spamming their poo poo, and it seems to make it more difficult for some classes to hit the boss while its flying around. For PvP though it seems to absolutely wreck poo poo. I just suck at it.

Also, don't overlook your Z key defense. It seems like it starts mattering more and more in fights since it lets you cancel the damage from some attacks. If you get good and can start timing it to cancel some of the big damage ones, it really pays off. (I am not good)

But again, a lot of this comes down to preference of playstyles. I don't think you can claim there is 'one true build' like you could in WoW.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I am also playing a Destroyer but I have had the opposite experience of yours - I completely annihilate all enemies I come across very quickly and I have never once had to eat. Are you keeping your weapon upgraded? I did the same rotation you describe, and while it wouldn't literally do 100% of a mob's life in damage, I would only have to throw 1 or 2 attacks out to finish them off. Keep in mind that Wedge (F when you have them grabbed) heals you, as does your slam move. Once you get Piledriver at 22, you actually do start 100%ing mobs down and it looks cool as gently caress.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Krilion posted:

No matter what he did, or how carelessly I didn't give a poo poo, he couldn't do anything to me. I stayed near full life as did my cat.

My advice sounds similar as to blade masters. He should hope a meteor hits your house.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Krilion posted:

I found KFM one of the more annoying classes to fight in arena. They would stick to you the whole time with their gap closers and fast move speed then pressure you with air combos and cc until you finally use your stun break. After that the following stun they would pop their cool downs and kill you from 100% to 0% in seconds with animation cancelling. Cat is ignored.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Velveteen posted:

I found KFM one of the more annoying classes to fight in arena. They would stick to you the whole time with their gap closers and fast move speed then pressure you with air combos and cc until you finally use your stun break. After that the following stun they would pop their cool downs and kill you from 100% to 0% in seconds with animation cancelling. Cat is ignored.

Are the two summoner charge disable moves actually different or are they the same thing-ish? Can you cast one then the other after the first one runs out, or are they on the same timer or something?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Mao posted:

I think its tough to give a 'best build' like you would find in other MMOs, since a lot of it has to do with what you as a person like playstyle wise and how well you manage things. Do you like the blinks, do they confuse you etc? Now having said that...

Do not overlook draw stance. I've found that if I really just need to dump a poo poo tonne of damage in a hurry, draw stance is awesome and seems to work better for me than trying to get rolling typhoon. Experiment around, but I've enjoyed having 3 points in the lightning RMB that gives me the blink, and then the lightning F key that gives me the line AOE for PvE. The single target F is more damage, but I like the utility and zipping around to move behind the boss and stay out of the poop and its also awesome for just burning down adds.. Same thing with the RMB blink. Its a 6s cooldown and you can use it to try and trigger more Electric Spirits and more Fs, or to refresh your chi and do more left clicks and it also helps move you out of boss poop. That being said, you need to be careful not to blink into AOEs, which is usually very painful.

For PvE I've found I don't like the Take flight as much. Its tough to get off in boss fights with everyone spamming their poo poo, and it seems to make it more difficult for some classes to hit the boss while its flying around. For PvP though it seems to absolutely wreck poo poo. I just suck at it.

Also, don't overlook your Z key defense. It seems like it starts mattering more and more in fights since it lets you cancel the damage from some attacks. If you get good and can start timing it to cancel some of the big damage ones, it really pays off. (I am not good)

But again, a lot of this comes down to preference of playstyles. I don't think you can claim there is 'one true build' like you could in WoW.
Thanks, that's really helpful! I guess I'll have to give draw stance and its skills another chance, I just kind of stayed away from it because I was lazy and wanted less skills to keep track of, but I'm sure I could get used to it. And yes, I did spec into the Z skill to get more blocks and a bit of healing, it's pretty nice for the harder bosses.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Lemming posted:

Are the two summoner charge disable moves actually different or are they the same thing-ish? Can you cast one then the other after the first one runs out, or are they on the same timer or something?

The stun charge is on a 45 second cooldown. While it is on cooldown, you are able to use the non stun version until it is back up again. Once it is up the next time you press it the cat will stun.

edit. Nevermind I misread your question. The charge disable is also the cat charge, you can skill it to stun or to disable charge attacks, the other one is beckon to recall your cat back. You can use them one after the other if you want as they are on different skills.

Velveteen fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well I'm done with this game. :v:

• Locked thread