Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Rereading the chapters with Lucy and Mountain Tim, I forgot how ice cold Blackmore is.

It's great how when he first shows up you think he's gonna be a pushover cause he's got this anxious demeanor, but man, when it's business time that dude just doesn't mess around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
^^^ The Blackmore chapters are so good!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I don't like mountain Tim
He was cooler in the Boom Boom family chapters when he was investigating the mysterious deaths and all that. IMO he should've stayed blown up after his encounter with Oyecomova as a way of showing that the stakes had gotten higher, which would have had the bonus effect of eliminating the bit where he was a Nice Guy to Lucy, but oh well.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like maybe araki forgot that she was 14 or something

Doesn't Stephen's age get slippery too?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like maybe araki forgot that she was 14 or something

Age of consent is only 13 in Japan though legalities surrounding it do make it higher in some cases I think, so it may be less "forget" and more "this is less creepy to Japan because their culture don't view it as creepy as westerners do".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't mean as an age of consent thing, I just mean as a "he slapped a number down and forgot" like he did with tsurugi when he was originally, what, 3 years-old?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Baal Chief read the jojo

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Something like this for example might be good at figuring something like which characters you can remember/which stands you like more than their users etc.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/InfiniteZeke/jojos-bizarre-adventure-stands-including-jojolion

I don't know whether I should be embarrassed that I got 122 of these or that I ONLY got 122 of these.

Most of the ones I forgot were from Part 5 and Part 8, apparently. Wonder if that means I'm not liking Part 8 as much as I thought I was?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Amaryllis posted:

I'm like 99.9% sure she won't get a SAS figure when they get around to doing the SBR ones. Hot Pants was robbed.

i really hope this doesn't come true :(

Age of consent is only 13 in Japan though legalities surrounding it do make it higher in some cases I think, so it may be less "forget" and more "this is less creepy to Japan because their culture don't view it as creepy as westerners do".

i think it's more that the story is set in a time where age differences like that probably didn't matter. Lucy was old enough to be married, and looks older than she is, so having some 31 y/o dude crush on her isn't weird to me in that context.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Why is it asking me for Mikitaka's stand's name, I thought it was left ambiguous whether he was a stand user or actually an alien :confused:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Age of consent is only 13 in Japan though legalities surrounding it do make it higher in some cases I think

Reminder that this 13 thing is just federal law and that in practice local laws have set it to 18 pretty much everywhere instead of just "some cases"

Like there might be some city in Nagano that hasn't set it to 18, I dunno

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

Baal Chief read the jojo

Lol no, part 8 wasn't doing it for me after Shakedown Road ended and I got tired of waiting month after month only for nothing to be answered, I'll wait until it gets even further along until I bother catching.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Why is it asking me for Mikitaka's stand's name, I thought it was left ambiguous whether he was a stand user or actually an alien :confused:

He got an ability name in an artbook, Earth, Wind and Fire but I don't believe the book specifies whether or not he's a Stand user and that's his Stand's name or whether it's what he calls his alien abilities.

Baal posted:

Lol no, part 8 wasn't doing it for me after Shakedown Road ended and I got tired of waiting month after month only for nothing to be answered, I'll wait until it gets even further along until I bother catching.

We're getting lots and lots of fantastic answers now, well worth catching up.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I could see waiting for chunks of part 8 to accumulate because there are some little arcs (e.g. shakedown road, beetle battle) that are awesome but which read better in a couple of sittings vs. several months. It's definitely worth getting caught up now that some big gaps in the back story are being filled in.

dogsicle posted:

i really hope this doesn't come true :(
Same. :(

Suaimhneas posted:

I thought it was left ambiguous whether he was a stand user or actually an alien :confused:
I don't care what the artbooks say: I like it better when it's ambiguous, and I also hope that the anime doesn't resolve this question.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

poo poo starts getting interesting pretty quick once you get to the first real important battle

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm going to reread JJL now except for that fight because I read it recently

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Amaryllis posted:

I don't care what the artbooks say: I like it better when it's ambiguous, and I also hope that the anime doesn't resolve this question.

The art book was ambiguous too, it just gave his powers a name

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I'm a bad JoJo fan because I have started with the anime. However, I really dig the bits of the manga I have read (the art, specifically) and want to pick them up to read myself. I want to have actual paper in hand as much as I can for this.

So, obviously, I got questions.
- How far can I do that in English? It looks like up to Part 3, for sure.
- What's the best way to do that? There are some hardcover books for Parts 1 and 2, splitting both into 3 volumes. Does that cover everything in those arcs? It looks like Part 3 is broken into a lot of smaller paperbacks as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

He got an ability name in an artbook, Earth, Wind and Fire but I don't believe the book specifies whether or not he's a Stand user and that's his Stand's name or whether it's what he calls his alien abilities.

We're getting lots and lots of fantastic answers now, well worth catching up.

I've heard about the Pillar people and some possible antagonists being a thing now, but I find it difficult muster up the enthusiasm to catch up when I'm just gonna be waiting again and I could just catch up on other stuff I'm trying to read right now.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

This jojo quiz makes me want to make a buzzfeed quiz with "can you match these music references with the picture?" But instead of album and band photos its just all stands.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm a bad JoJo fan because I have started with the anime. However, I really dig the bits of the manga I have read (the art, specifically) and want to pick them up to read myself. I want to have actual paper in hand as much as I can for this.

- What's the best way to do that? There are some hardcover books for Parts 1 and 2, splitting both into 3 volumes. Does that cover everything in those arcs? It looks like Part 3 is broken into a lot of smaller paperbacks as well.

Part 1-3 are available in English, anime is only up to Part 1 & 2. Best way to read the manga is digitally if you want easy access and Part 2 is getting close to being done digitally whereas the physical release is still catching up. Part 3 is fully released in paperback volumes that have been reprinted and stocked, but you can get all of those digitally too. With a Part 4 anime coming out I think it's safe to say Viz is probably going to be releasing Part 4, we don't know how though, probably individual releases since no Jojoniums of Part 4 have been made.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Von Humboldt posted:

Parts 1 and 2 are being released in English via those hardcover volumes. Part 1 takes up the first 3 volumes, Part 2 is the next 4. As of right now, all of Part 1 is available physically, so you can own all of that on your bookshelf right now. Part 2 is being released currently, with Volume 2 due out in like a week or two. If you're ok with buying your manga digitally, you can get up to Volume 3 of Part 2 through Comixology or iTunes or Kindle or w/e you prefer. Part 3 is in a different format because those volumes were being released first and that translation was finished years ago, before the original Japanese versions of the hardcover volumes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i think it's more that the story is set in a time where age differences like that probably didn't matter. Lucy was old enough to be married, and looks older than she is, so having some 31 y/o dude crush on her isn't weird to me in that context.
Putting on my historian hat for a minute, the period piece argument is a bit shaky in this case. The age of consent was indeed much lower in the late 19th century, but that was also around the time you had a lot of people petitioning to raise it due to the rising public awareness of abuses perpetuated against young girls (google "The Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon"). It'd take a few decades for those reforms to sweep across the Western world, but even as early as the 1890s (when SBR is set) you'd have people talking about it; and even among those who'd arguably be okay with it, the age difference would still be worthy of raised eyebrows.

That said, within the context of the narrative it's not something that bugs me too much since Araki's pretty clearly trying to strike a particular emotional chord. Tim loves Lucy enough to risk his life for her, to die for her, but he also loves her enough to let her go, to respect her wishes and accept that it won't work out (for a multitude of reasons, both intended and incidental). When Lucy tells him it's impossible, he's sad but understanding. Even after they part ways he's still willing to sacrifice himself to keep her secret from Blackmore. The reality of how such a relationship would play out in the real world (quite poorly) is secondary to the thematic demands of the moment.

...That said, the most likely answer is still this:

FirstAidKite posted:

I just mean as a "he slapped a number down and forgot" like he did with tsurugi when he was originally, what, 3 years-old?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Okay I can accept that I forgot most of part 5 because it's been ages since I read it. But how the hell did I forget half the stand names in part 6 and almost all of 7's? And how come I could remember most of the ones from the start of part 8 but absolutely none after King Nothing :psyduck:

I have a lot of rereading to do

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Putting on my historian hat for a minute, the period piece argument is a bit shaky in this case. The age of consent was indeed much lower in the late 19th century, but that was also around the time you had a lot of people petitioning to raise it due to the rising public awareness of abuses perpetuated against young girls (google "The Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon"). It'd take a few decades for those reforms to sweep across the Western world, but even as early as the 1890s (when SBR is set) you'd have people talking about it; and even among those who'd arguably be okay with it, the age difference would still be worthy of raised eyebrows.

That said, within the context of the narrative it's not something that bugs me too much since Araki's pretty clearly trying to strike a particular emotional chord. Tim loves Lucy enough to risk his life for her, to die for her, but he also loves her enough to let her go, to respect her wishes and accept that it won't work out (for a multitude of reasons, both intended and incidental). When Lucy tells him it's impossible, he's sad but understanding. Even after they part ways he's still willing to sacrifice himself to keep her secret from Blackmore. The reality of how such a relationship would play out in the real world (quite poorly) is secondary to the thematic demands of the moment.

...That said, the most likely answer is still this:

thanks for the clarification/education :cheeky:
this is honestly the first time i had even seen people complain about Mountain Tim, but i'd agree that all the stuff with him really works towards some good emotional moments, and he is a stand-up guy despite the age difference.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ages are kinda fast and loose in some arcs and it gets kinda weird sometimes to the point where i wish araki would just make them at least like 17 or some poo poo because they sure as gently caress never look like they're 14 or 15 or whatever. like, giorno is 15 and the rest are varying ages above that ending with bruno and abbachio being 20 or so. even narancia, a kid who by all accounts looks younger than giorno, is 17. i get there's supposed to be an age dynamic where they don't trust giorno at first partially because he's young, but i don't see why they all couldn't be aged up to where bruno and abbachio are like 24-25 and the rest are just on the verge of hitting 19-20 with giorno maybe being like...17-18? i know part of the answer would be 'it appeals to younger readers' but i have a hard time believing that they'd connect with characters who don't even remotely look or act their age.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Suaimhneas posted:

Okay I can accept that I forgot most of part 5 because it's been ages since I read it. But how the hell did I forget half the stand names in part 6 and almost all of 7's? And how come I could remember most of the ones from the start of part 8 but absolutely none after King Nothing :psyduck:

I have a lot of rereading to do

I started that test and then stopped once I realized I could not actually remember the colors for like half the arcana stands, or most of the Egyptian god ones. It's me, I'm the worst fan.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bad Seafood posted:

Get on my level.

Haha, exact same score.

Somehow I missed Notorious B.I.G. despite that fight being one of the best in part 5. :saddowns:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Giorno is a pretty believable 15 year old appearance wise but not mentally.
Josuke doesn't really pass for 16 in any way, nor do any of the Kenshiro JoJos really pass for their age.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 25, 2016

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Giorno is a pretty believable 15 year old appearance wise but not mentally.

I can believe it because it was kind of the same with Dio, plus Giorno still kind of has a naive schoolboy vibe when he isn't being a massive know-it-all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Giorno: Whoa fukin hell m8 look at trish's knockers am gunna fukin wank to that
[Spends all Vento Aureo jerking off, all of Italy's children OD]

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I await the part 5 dub where everyone has ridiculous italian accents

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
With the school janitor voiced by Charles Martinet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

6 pages of MAMMAMIA and one page of Pizzaaaaaaaaaaaa

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad JoJo's is finally turning into GaoGaiGar

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

And here I was just lamenting to myself about the lack of the followup to GGG FINAL

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Giorno: Whoa fukin hell m8 look at trish's knockers am gunna fukin wank to that
[Spends all Vento Aureo jerking off, all of Italy's children OD]

finally, a character i can use to self insert

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I missed Khnum on that quiz because I couldn't spell it and refused to look it up.

Okay, well I did look it up, but the timer ticked down before I could put it in.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I think it's okay to look up the spelling of an answer you know but would misspell on your own.

I double checked the spelling of Actung Baby before punching it in but when I found out I misremembered Earth, Wind and Fire as Fire, Wind, and Water I deliberately left that slot blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Rereading the chapters with Lucy and Mountain Tim, I forgot how ice cold Blackmore is.

It's great how when he first shows up you think he's gonna be a pushover cause he's got this anxious demeanor, but man, when it's business time that dude just doesn't mess around.

Blackmore is loving awesome!!! I'm kinda surprised that there's not more love for Blackmore out there.

Amaryllis posted:

Same. I love it that it's up in the air.