Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro Target

i get similarly annoyed when people try to portray yume nikki like its a Creepy Spookfest when its actuially a beautiful art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

I bought mgs V on sale...

I am incredibly confused. There's a military strike team trying to kill the main character who has been in a coma for 9 years, but clearly the people in charge of that strike team knew he was there (they were watching for him to be woken up.) It's INCREDIBLY unlikely they just happened to find out the one day in nine years that he has woken up -- I assume they have to have been watching him.

But if that's the case, why didn't they just like, disconnect his feeding tube in his sleep or something instead of having to bother with the strike team? They could have killed him at any moment. It seems weird to wait for him to wake up if they just wanted to murder him. It would also be FAR cheaper -- they're having to send in like 120 dudes, several helicopters, etc. They could have just sent in one guy dressed like an orderly at night or something.

Additionally, the bandage guy says he has been waiting '9 years' for you to wake up. They've got this guy in the long term care ward, so was he also in a coma? Or was he FAKING being in a coma? Why is that? It's specified that you got taken directly by your own people to Cypress for care and to be hidden, so they knew you were there, why couldn't they just assign a guard detail? If he was just admitted to the hospital for some face injury, why is he in the coma ward? Why is his face bandaged? I thought at first he was a hallucination of some sort as he seems to get shot or killed multiple times and then just be fine, but I don't know, the game seems to imply that he was real.

Also, the date of the game says 1984. This is pretty confusing as several points in the game you get specific weapons that don't exist in 1984. The 'Uragal' revolver is almost exactly the same as the Mateba auto revolver which wasn't designed until 1997. A number of the other guns presented in the game shouldn't exist yet. According to my friend who is a metal gear solid guy, apparently the organization your character use to work for invented a lot of these weapons in their fictional timeline before they were invented in our timeline, but that seems extremely unrealistic as why would they share the exact same designs? Why not just set your game in the future or something?

Also, there's a floating kid with a gas mask and a straight jacket and a supernatural man made out of fire that seemed impervious to bullets and had the power of absorbing gunfire and redirecting the energy back at targets (up until the protagonist is firing on him, apparently) and also he can make a horse out of fire and ride it. I thought again these were some kind of hallucination, but it seems to be played straight and there's like, media files you can access after the intro that reference the 'man on fire'.

This is extra confusing because I thought, okay, this guy is some kind of supernatural soldier these military guys brought with them to take you down, seems plausible, this is a crazy world... but he's killing the soldiers, who also try to shoot him. Assuming they brought the guy to help take you down, it seems odd they'd waste their bullets on him, even if he was a 'loose cannon' that was endangering them, they'd know he'd just redirect the energy at them. If they didn't bring him down, the fire guy just decided to attack the same day you woke up? Along with these military dudes?

It's just hard to maintain your suspension of disbelief. The next scene had weird robot-dancing dudes in a cutscene approach, who looked pretty funky, but they stumbled incredibly slowly down past this bridge and I just walked by them with this incredibly cliche dude I rescued. They are said to be responsible for the main character's injuries but they don't seem particularly competent. Overall I have no idea what is going on in this game. Is this parody? When the cardboard box item was introduced, I assumed it was some kind of parody, but it's apparently played straight with different camo stuff for the box. I also thought this guy Kojima was playing a joke because of how often his name is plastered on it, but then I was like is he actually really proud of this?

I don't mind an unrealistic world, but some kind of consistency would be good, or some kind of internal logic. I am 4% through the game now.

Oh, the last thing: What the gently caress are you doing to your employees on this mother base thing? Like, as far as I can tell they are slaves?? Do none of them have families? No salary seems to come out of my mother base money. Their 'morale' improves when you walk around and they salute you and compliment you, but as far as I can tell there is no button to interact with them, other than punching them in the face. AND IF YOU DO THAT, they will say 'THANK YOU SIR!'. Why does it improve their morale to completely disregard their existence and comments to you (you can't even return their salute, which would be like the bare minimum respect I'd assume they would let you do.) The whole 'thanking you for punching them after they are being polite' thing is just super disturbing to me. Poor guys, they really should not be associating with a hosed up guy like the main character.

Scaly Haylie

it's fine, there's a puppy

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

joke_explainer posted:

I bought mgs V on sale...

I am incredibly confused. There's a military strike team trying to kill the main character who has been in a coma for 9 years, but clearly the people in charge of that strike team knew he was there (they were watching for him to be woken up.) It's INCREDIBLY unlikely they just happened to find out the one day in nine years that he has woken up -- I assume they have to have been watching him.

But if that's the case, why didn't they just like, disconnect his feeding tube in his sleep or something instead of having to bother with the strike team? They could have killed him at any moment. It seems weird to wait for him to wake up if they just wanted to murder him. It would also be FAR cheaper -- they're having to send in like 120 dudes, several helicopters, etc. They could have just sent in one guy dressed like an orderly at night or something.

Additionally, the bandage guy says he has been waiting '9 years' for you to wake up. They've got this guy in the long term care ward, so was he also in a coma? Or was he FAKING being in a coma? Why is that? It's specified that you got taken directly by your own people to Cypress for care and to be hidden, so they knew you were there, why couldn't they just assign a guard detail? If he was just admitted to the hospital for some face injury, why is he in the coma ward? Why is his face bandaged? I thought at first he was a hallucination of some sort as he seems to get shot or killed multiple times and then just be fine, but I don't know, the game seems to imply that he was real.

Also, the date of the game says 1984. This is pretty confusing as several points in the game you get specific weapons that don't exist in 1984. The 'Uragal' revolver is almost exactly the same as the Mateba auto revolver which wasn't designed until 1997. A number of the other guns presented in the game shouldn't exist yet. According to my friend who is a metal gear solid guy, apparently the organization your character use to work for invented a lot of these weapons in their fictional timeline before they were invented in our timeline, but that seems extremely unrealistic as why would they share the exact same designs? Why not just set your game in the future or something?

Also, there's a floating kid with a gas mask and a straight jacket and a supernatural man made out of fire that seemed impervious to bullets and had the power of absorbing gunfire and redirecting the energy back at targets (up until the protagonist is firing on him, apparently) and also he can make a horse out of fire and ride it. I thought again these were some kind of hallucination, but it seems to be played straight and there's like, media files you can access after the intro that reference the 'man on fire'.

This is extra confusing because I thought, okay, this guy is some kind of supernatural soldier these military guys brought with them to take you down, seems plausible, this is a crazy world... but he's killing the soldiers, who also try to shoot him. Assuming they brought the guy to help take you down, it seems odd they'd waste their bullets on him, even if he was a 'loose cannon' that was endangering them, they'd know he'd just redirect the energy at them. If they didn't bring him down, the fire guy just decided to attack the same day you woke up? Along with these military dudes?

It's just hard to maintain your suspension of disbelief. The next scene had weird robot-dancing dudes in a cutscene approach, who looked pretty funky, but they stumbled incredibly slowly down past this bridge and I just walked by them with this incredibly cliche dude I rescued. They are said to be responsible for the main character's injuries but they don't seem particularly competent. Overall I have no idea what is going on in this game. Is this parody? When the cardboard box item was introduced, I assumed it was some kind of parody, but it's apparently played straight with different camo stuff for the box. I also thought this guy Kojima was playing a joke because of how often his name is plastered on it, but then I was like is he actually really proud of this?

I don't mind an unrealistic world, but some kind of consistency would be good, or some kind of internal logic. I am 4% through the game now.

Oh, the last thing: What the gently caress are you doing to your employees on this mother base thing? Like, as far as I can tell they are slaves?? Do none of them have families? No salary seems to come out of my mother base money. Their 'morale' improves when you walk around and they salute you and compliment you, but as far as I can tell there is no button to interact with them, other than punching them in the face. AND IF YOU DO THAT, they will say 'THANK YOU SIR!'. Why does it improve their morale to completely disregard their existence and comments to you (you can't even return their salute, which would be like the bare minimum respect I'd assume they would let you do.) The whole 'thanking you for punching them after they are being polite' thing is just super disturbing to me. Poor guys, they really should not be associating with a hosed up guy like the main character.

metal gear is extremelty good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

it's fine, there's a puppy

I saw there was an option to fulton recover the puppy, but I was worried it'd injure the dang thing, I know it'd be a confusing and horrifying experience for a dog. Is he going to pop up again?

Pro Target

the people you fulton arent slaves theyre eager to work for the Legendary Soldier 'Big Boys'

Pro Target

and youre an idiot if you dont like mgs and complaining about 'supernatural' stuff in a fictiona l world is also very stupid

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

I saw there was an option to fulton recover the puppy, but I was worried it'd injure the dang thing, I know it'd be a confusing and horrifying experience for a dog. Is he going to pop up again?

yes, fulton the gently caress out of that puppy or i'll be upset

joke_explainer

Pro Target posted:

and youre an idiot if you dont like mgs and complaining about 'supernatural' stuff in a fictiona l world is also very stupid

i don't mind the supernatural stuff, it's the inconsistency in the story like I mentioned. like if the man on fire a soldier sent by the same people trying to kill you? or a separate group of people with supernatural people in their employ, also trying to kill you? if so, why did BOTH of these orgs wait for you to wake up instead of just stabbing you in your sleep?

Pro Target

thats all addressed basiocally so. ..

FreshCutFries

listen to the audio tapes and it will all be (mostly) explained eventually

Pro Target

alot of the stuff that happenms in that game doesn't really make sense unlesas youve played mgs3 and peace walker though so maybe its best iof you just accept it as is and play it for the gameplay

Pro Target

or etter yet, go play mgs3 which is one of the bestgames of all time

FreshCutFries

joke_explainer posted:

Overall I have no idea what is going on in this game. Is this parody? When the cardboard box item was introduced, I assumed it was some kind of parody, but it's apparently played straight with different camo stuff for the box.

audio tapes won't answer this, actually. metal gear takes itself incredibly seriously, and at the same time, it doesn't take itself seriously at all. the tone is really unique and something you should eventually get the more you play the series.

joke_explainer

Well, as long as there is eventually an explanation. The game immediately went to other stuff and it almost seemed like it had forgotten about it. It just felt insulting to dump that on us at face value, like, are we supposed to assume that in this world this sort of thing happens all the time to everybody? Does every hospital have some vicious hospital-defending spirit and the military guys that busted in woke it up? It seems pretty obvious ghosts are real in this world at least...

Thingyman posted:

audio tapes won't answer this, actually. metal gear takes itself incredibly seriously, and at the same time, it doesn't take itself seriously at all. the tone is really unique and something you should eventually get the more you play the series.

well that's okay I mean, it has to somehow acknowledge the 'gamey'ness of the guards, like how they can see a horse running along with a human foot on it and be like 'oh that's normal'.

Scaly Haylie

get the puppy

Piso Mojado

Pro Target posted:

or etter yet, go play mgs3 which is one of the bestgames of all time

this is true.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

joke_explainer posted:

Well, as long as there is eventually an explanation. The game immediately went to other stuff and it almost seemed like it had forgotten about it. It just felt insulting to dump that on us at face value, like, are we supposed to assume that in this world this sort of thing happens all the time to everybody? Does every hospital have some vicious hospital-defending spirit and the military guys that busted in woke it up? It seems pretty obvious ghosts are real in this world at least...

well that's okay I mean, it has to somehow acknowledge the 'gamey'ness of the guards, like how they can see a horse running along with a human foot on it and be like 'oh that's normal'.

Have you never played metal gear

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Metal gear can run on cartoon, horror or real world logic at any given moment

Moola

Lizard Wizard posted:

get the puppy

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

the people you fulton choose to join your mercenary company if they want to. Or they stay in the brig :evilbuddy:

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

life is all about choice

joke_explainer

Pomp posted:

Have you never played metal gear

nope, I just picked this one up on whim as it was on sale... I played a little bit of the NES one but never got very far. Didn't buy any games in the series for PS1-3. I remember hearing one game had a really unsatisfying ending where they woke up at the end and it was like 'it was all a dream' or a VR simulation or something like that.

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

joke_explainer posted:

nope, I just picked this one up on whim as it was on sale...
oh geez

bacalou

props to yoshi for choosing form over function

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

a helmet is the original bone bud

joke_explainer

Chill la Chill posted:

the people you fulton choose to join your mercenary company if they want to. Or they stay in the brig :evilbuddy:

still is revolver ocelot the guy telling them that if I smack them they have to say 'THANK YOU SIR'? I wouldn't tell them that. If I could I would want them to report any workplace abuse going on. It seems like Revolver Ocelot is handling HR and I don't think he's doing a very good job.

Edit: Just to note, I did not smack him on purpose. A guy saluted me and I was like how do I salute? and it said 'R trigger' near him with a hand and I thought I could salute him back but no. It's just loving punching him full force.

bacalou

Awesome! posted:

a helmet is the original bone bud

joke_explainer

I guess they're just like 'Oh wow sparring with the legendary soldier guy!' but it seems weird that they don't fight back at all.

bacalou

i feel that even if most of the games are pretty good, the metal gear franchise has become a confused hydra, twisting it's necks together

bacalou

loving kojima left konami and now we'll never get another zone of the enders or snatcher

Pro Target

bacalou posted:

i feel that even if most of the games are pretty good, the metal gear franchise has become a confused hydra, twisting it's necks together

heres what I think: 🖕

Moola
xcom keeps crashing this is such bullshit

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

joke_explainer posted:

I guess they're just like 'Oh wow sparring with the legendary soldier guy!' but it seems weird that they don't fight back at all.

Their reflexes aren't good enough to be able to defend, but it is sparring if you want to think of it that way. Consider how fast your dude's reflexes are on the field against antagonistic foes. They take a long time to go for a counterpunch

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

"i'll never wash this bruise again!"

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygW45o3NISM

Mapparu

I have a 3ds and a broken ps vita. I have totally lost interest in computer gaming, would you recommend me some cool games (especially visual novels like 999). also if there is anything intresting on the 3ds besides acnl. also is it worth it to get a Japanese 3ds just to play taiko no tatsujin.

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

no if you want to play taiko drums that badly hack your 3ds for region free

cant really help you with vns as they arent my thing

deep dish peat moss

Mapparu posted:

I have a 3ds and a broken ps vita. I have totally lost interest in computer gaming, would you recommend me some cool games (especially visual novels like 999). also if there is anything intresting on the 3ds besides acnl. also is it worth it to get a Japanese 3ds just to play taiko no tatsujin.

I got a 3ds and all I play is smash bros and Persona Q. I didn't realize how much I wanted portable Smash Bros until I had it but I wish it had more cool modes like the older games did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

Mapparu posted:

fantasy life is cute as heck and falls somewhere between animal crossing and action RPG (pre-emptively shut the gently caress up pro target)