Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Got in on 21, first time killing the online dragon. I was a little confused though, after first killing the offiline one yesterday (pretty difficult for me at the time) I thought I would have trouble with the Online one in Grace at ~65. I went Magic Archer and 4x Magic Rebalancer, and a single Hunter Bolt took out all of its weak points in one go. Is that normal or some sort of bug? I was certainly surprised.

Grace mode is basically hit all the remaining hearts once, collect loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Saint Freak posted:

You have a cutscene where he challenges you to a final battle, and then the quest giver says you aren't coming back from this final battle, wherein you accept a quest called 'The Final Battle' that takes you through the area from the beginning of the game that you know is where the final battle is fought. I have to know what you thought was going to happen if not a final battle.

That's nice. I'll answer in the same tone: Are you retarded? I did plenty of stuff after the cutscene and quest giver, before going back to the gate, accumulating stuff and not stacking other stuff, for a final battle. Then, as I already said, the message about not being able to go back showed for a microsecond, before the screen faded to black and there was no return to be had.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The game is pretty clear about what you're getting into dude.

There was a lot I did between getting the cutscene and being given the quest. Problem is still that in front of the gate you get no indication except for that microsecond of a message.

Kiggles posted:

If you're feeling really stuck, try the Restart from Checkpoint option. It will be a different save spot, usually when you last slept at an Inn, so it can be a long while back, but it's there.

Otherwise, the reason you didn't kill it that one time is you have to deliver the killing blow to the big fat glowing obvious weak spot.

Mm. Problem wasn't the "big fat glowing obvious weak spot", the problem was I kept pummeling "the big fat glowing obvious weak spot" after all his pink health bars was gone and it didn't register.

In other news, I'm fighting a metal golem now, and smashed 6/7 pieces that gives him energy. The 7th hangs above him in the middle of the room. Playing a fighter atm I don't have access to a bow. Pawns having magic or a bow keep saying it's folly to attack him directly and then... attacks him directly. I've tried climbing the fucker and jumped off him to get some hits in on the amulet thingy, but it's difficult to have the golem placed directly under it.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 25, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Downs Duck posted:

There was a lot I did between getting the cutscene and being given the quest. Problem is still that in front of the gate you get no indication except for that microsecond of a message.

The game forces you to spend like 2 full minutes standing idle on enormous switches to open that giant gate, which is in the final room of the tutorial right before the tutorial character went to fight the dragon.

What did you think was behind there? You probably shouldn't have even gone into the clearly -FINAL DUNGEON- without stocking up on healing items in the first place.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Finishing the everfall with full Level 3 Bitterblack Gold Rarified equipment is a bit of a lark.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vargs posted:

The game forces you to spend like 2 full minutes standing idle on enormous switches to open that giant gate, which is in the final room of the tutorial right before the tutorial character went to fight the dragon.

What did you think was behind there? You probably shouldn't have even gone into the clearly -FINAL DUNGEON- without stocking up on healing items in the first place.

And then after you do that the Dragon is still a nice enough dude he will remind you that this is the final battle and give you an option to walk away. He even gives you a sick trophy for it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

sorcerer is impressive but best played before you go magick archer which is the best vocation in the game

It's weird how they just crammed nearly every good ability in the game onto them. Like, if it's a choice between, "I can use a shield and a bow!" and, "I can make my party permanently immune to all status effects forever, siphon anything smaller than a Cyclops into an AoE death ball, and double everyone's Magick," then it's not really a choice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vermain posted:

It's weird how they just crammed nearly every good ability in the game onto them. Like, if it's a choice between, "I can use a shield and a bow!" and, "I can make my party permanently immune to all status effects forever, siphon anything smaller than a Cyclops into an AoE death ball, and double everyone's Magick," then it's not really a choice.

it is when it includes setting yourself on fire to jump on the head of a monster and stab it in the head lots and its not cripplingly bad like in most games

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I hoarded poo poo for a while and without selling materials, only armour and weapons I was well past, I made 2.5m

Gold weapons are poo poo, those weapons that induce tarring are poo poo, any at our that's below what you have that you don't out on when you switch vocations is also poo poo

Also you can slip into the castle and wait for the guard that stands by the Treasury to take a piss, steal everything inside, then ferrystone out

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sadly oiled weapons also sell for poo poo. Or less than poo poo, since they sell for nothing.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I knew there was a reason I didn't sell them all

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

I hoarded poo poo for a while and without selling materials, only armour and weapons I was well past, I made 2.5m

Gold weapons are poo poo, those weapons that induce tarring are poo poo, any at our that's below what you have that you don't out on when you switch vocations is also poo poo

Also you can slip into the castle and wait for the guard that stands by the Treasury to take a piss, steal everything inside, then ferrystone out

A +3 or higher Gold weapon is worth keeping around if only to utterly chump pure spellcasting enemies like wights or the dragon pope.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do gold weapons ever get a second effect? I know rust gets poison and torpor and anneled gets oil and blindness.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Genocyber posted:

A +3 or higher Gold weapon is worth keeping around if only to utterly chump pure spellcasting enemies like wights or the dragon pope.

Wyrms too.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me, I'm just up to a point where I need to sneak around the demense at night so I'd better not forget to do this.

edit: I'm probably going to clear out a lot of the warrior weapons I keep picking up. I only play Yellow vocations, why does the game keep giving me two-handed weapons. :(

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Colapops posted:

Wyrms too.
Wyrms generally go out like chumps regardless.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Counter-point, Wight/Liches have like 10 health, so silencing them is basically prolonging the fights.

Pope is an OK target, on the first trip through BBI, where it has enough health to matter. Also, one of the better ways to dragon forge, so there's reasonable odds of you being equipped somewhat poorly.

Dire Wyrms in BBI are kinda healthy enough to make it worthwhile.

Kind of a shame there aren't more spell casters worth a poo poo. Gold weapons really don't compare to rusted weapons.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I have a huge stock of silencing arrows that I never use because why silence an enemy when you could just kill them with tenfold arrow?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Im_Special posted:

Just post in here or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/masser/

Most of my playtime has been wanderlust at this point, and I noticed my pawn's gear was falling behind compared to other same level pawns who'd actually progressed the game. At the mid 40's, people are generally further than "just met the Duke".

So I decided to see if I could grab some bits and pieces from early bitterblack isle to catch up. Got a bit carried away with upgrading the gryphic victory though, turns out it's pretty simple to get the ingredients to rarify it earlier than you should. I just noticed he's got 1510 strength, which might be overkill for the upcoming griffin fight/rest of the game.

Whoops! Kinda outshines my Bowman. :(

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 26, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deified Data posted:

Kind of bullshit how they handle the whole "beloved" system and their shoehorning of Aelinore into that role.

Your beloved is the last NPC with max affection you speak to before "Deny Salvation", but most NPCs disappear at the end of their questlines and Duchess in Distress doesn't unlock until the point in the main quest where everyone else's quests are either complete or failed. Meaning you could have given a million gifts and the arisen's bond to Madeline, Mercedes, Quina, Valmiro, Reynard, Julien, etc. but it wouldn't matter since Aelinore's quest happens after they all leave and overrides them all. If you don't want Aelinore living in your house you have to actively avoid her quest or get chummy with some other no-name NPC like Fournival. Or Selene I guess if you're a weirdo.

I think the system is at its best when it's as random as it initially seems and it gives you Simone or Pip out of nowhere, which makes it frustrating once you know how heavily the odds are stacked against the Duchess.

Both Duchess in Distress and Bad Business can be completed after Deny Salvation. They only terminate if the relevant quest giver was made your Beloved in Deny Salvation.

What I'm getting at here is nah, the Beloved system is actually really easy to manipulate and Aelinore isn't an issue. Just don't do Duchess in Distress until after Deny Salvation.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does Duchess in Distress ever expire? Could I do it post-dragon?

Edit: Nevermind, I see i missed my window. I wasn't aware you could do it after deny salvation though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Welp, after trying to fight the gazer as a warrior I think it's time to switch back over to being a strider for a while.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deified Data posted:

Does Duchess in Distress ever expire? Could I do it post-dragon?

Edit: Nevermind, I see i missed my window. I wasn't aware you could do it after deny salvation though.

Final Battle is what terminates Duchess in Distress and Bad Business. As long as you don't go do that you're fine.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I was just thinking about whether or not to choose Feste as my beloved this time through, and I suddenly wondered, if you choose Ophis as beloved, will she go around killing all the dudes in Cassardis?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Control Volume posted:

Welp, after trying to fight the gazer as a warrior I think it's time to switch back over to being a strider for a while.

Literally climbing into the eye is the proest strat for fighting the Gazer, and I'm sad I can't teach my pawn to do that.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
What reasons are there to keep poking around post-game Everfall after getting the 20 wakestones? And is there any reason to explore the post-game overworld?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

What reasons are there to keep poking around post-game Everfall after getting the 20 wakestones? And is there any reason to explore the post-game overworld?

Getting more Wakestones, it shits them out at you like crazy and they're incredibly useful if you want to explore BBI.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This describes the game perfectly.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Get a bunch more wakestones, also theres a bunch new enemies around in the world. Other than that theres not much, the world is so ugly in post-game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Getting more Wakestones, it shits them out at you like crazy and they're incredibly useful if you want to explore BBI.

Seriously, even with good defenses there are a lot things that will kill you dead super quick (enraged elder ogres anybody)

carry wakestones, arisen

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one experiencing constant freezes during pre-rendered cutscenes? That's normally a stupid question but I can't find a single person experiencing the same issue. The in-engine cutscenes play fine and my game has only CTD a couple times in 60+ hours, but without fail the pre-rendered cutscenes will always freeze. I can skip them after they've frozen and proceed as normal, but none will play to completion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also wakestones are basically free stamina refills.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

There are a few new dragons that roam in the post-game overworld that are worth killing for easy exp/dragonforging/fun, and dungeons now have new encounters with quests associated to them like Slay the Living Armor in the Catacombs, etc. Basically exp.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Gazer is actually really fun to fight as Warrior. If you're unfamiliar with the encounter, when the huge tentacles pop out of the ground, run underneath and it will knock the gazer down. From there it's Arc of Deliverance to BBI 2/3.

Warrior does have some trouble in BBI. There are a few more flying enemies. Flying enemies that are actually threatening, so not just some obnoxious harpies. That, and the boss of the dungeon is not in the least bit designed with fighter/warriors in mind, so you basically just end up playing them like Strider/Assassin.

Still, I have a lot of fun playing Fighter/Warrior in BBI. You just aren't well equipped for everything, so you really have to pick and choose your fights, which is definitely in the spirit of the dungeon design, what with the carrion beast spawns.

If you do just want to overpower things, then Strider is the way to go. I find it gets tired, but some people are frustrated by not killing everything as they go along.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Garm fight that I ran across was incredibly fun as a warrior even if I wasn't able to arc his rear end into next year it's just I specifically want to climb into that eyeball and murder it. It must be done this way. There is no other choice, for me.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Oh that's good, I guess I should have checked my pawns skills after starting new game plus because apparently she spent the last 24 hours with no skills set... sorry anyone who hired her in that time period...

E: Welp, apparently 2 people used her and both gave her one star rating across the board... whoops.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 26, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Holy gently caress, now I'm even more scared to go grinding the goreclopse when a loving Undead Dragon spawned ontop of me at the same time. Pawns getting too strong to trigger the clopse fight before I could get all the skeleton mages so it was a real shitfest. But so worth the four dragonforges.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lunimeow posted:

Oh that's good, I guess I should have checked my pawns skills after starting new game plus because apparently she spent the last 24 hours with no skills set... sorry anyone who hired her in that time period...

E: Welp, apparently 2 people used her and both gave her one star rating across the board... whoops.
Occasionally you see a pawn where it looks like they changed vocations and forgot to set equipment before resting in the inn. :v:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Any tips on taking out a drake in a fairly brisk manner? The one I stumbled upon in Devilfire Grove was a bastard and the fight lasted an incredibly long time even with me, a strider, shooting/stabbing the poo poo out of his heart.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ulvirich posted:

Any tips on taking out a drake in a fairly brisk manner? The one I stumbled upon in Devilfire Grove was a bastard and the fight lasted an incredibly long time even with me, a strider, shooting/stabbing the poo poo out of his heart.

Ice. Hire a pawn with Frigor or Glicel, or Ice Boon, and go to town on the heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The cursed dragon that shows up in those spiral cyclops rooms are actually really funny, because when you shoot them down there's like an 80% chance they'll just flop onto one of the rope bridges over and over.