Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the expansion news but is is really true that the snow is confined to one map? That seems a little odd...

But with regards to the "streetcars are just high capacity buses" criticism, well, that's kinda what they are. How could they be changed that would make them different? If they could run on their own rails independently of roads then they'd just be low capacity trains and if they could run under ground then they'd just be low capacity subways. Their primary role is to fit higher order publish transit into existing cities without the extreme expense of burying or elevating the whole system (though that hasn't stopped the Ontario or Toronto governments from trying anyway).

Being able to run off-street, in their own right of way next to the street or in the middle of streets, being able to tunnel or bridge on their own, running down lovely pedestrian-only streets.

Rail based transport should be more of a spectrum. You lay tracks, build stations/stops of certain size, and then select a type of vehicle to run on them. Most tram systems in the world run in a mix of right of ways, either mixed with traffic, along the road but in a dedicated right of way, or completely separate like a suburban train.

Just like many metro systems start off in the suburbs as surface rail, become elevated rail at some point, then tunnel when they reach downtown, or some sort of mix. It's just vehicles traveling along rails, rails can go in many places and handle all sorts of vehicles. There's a whole spectrum of rail based vehicles from tiny single car tram to high speed national railways. So often in skylines I find my self wanting something with more capacity than a bus, but not quite the capacity of a metro. Or just a smaller capacity metro that can also run on surface rail or elevated rail. For a game that goes into such insane detail for traffic simulation, the options for transit are pretty limited. Fussing over transit and roads seems to be the main thing people in the game focus on, but the expansions have been fairly useless fluff other than maybe bike lanes and bikes.

Why not instead of fluff give us a Cities In Motion 2 style road designer. No more huge list of pre-defined roads, build your own types and save them. Want a road that has sidewalks, bike lanes, bus lanes, 2 car lanes, and a tree filled median? Just make it. Why not give us more flexible transit and the vanilla ability to select number of vehicles, type of vehicle, and automatically have vehicles unbunch them selves? Where's the pedestrianized streets that only peds, bikes and service vehicles can use and flow seemlessly into large paved squares and parks? Where's the Cities XL style fill tools or just ground texture paint tools to fill in those ugly spaces between buildings? There's so much more meat that needs to be added to the pretty good bones of this game, but instead they keep focusing on random fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think to make options like that truly meaningful CO would need to dramatically redesign the traffic simulation in this game. As it stands now, having more variety would be nice but it would really just be cosmetic and something a lot of people wouldn't even bother with; case in point, CiM2 selling the way it did and being criticized the way it was... a lot of people couldn't be bothered fiddling around with the roads and rails and stations like that and oddly enough Skylines suffers from the same problem the cities in CiM2 did with every day blurring together in one giant traffic clogged mess. I can understand why the devs here wouldn't bother going into that much depth again considering all their work previously was for naught.

The game is essentially trying to crush a day's worth of activity into about 10 seconds and while After Dark sorta addressed this by making traffic patterns change depending on the time of day, you still get people clogging a single lane of a road all day for miles on end before vanishing into their destination never to be seen again, while I'm pretty sure on some of my busier bus routes there are riders have been gleefully waiting for weeks to get a spot on their bus when they could've just walked to their destination faster. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some people choose to take the route or method of transport they do and the traffic on screen is more of a representation of what's going on, rather than what actual traffic would do, with the primary purpose of providing an obstacle to your emergency services. Public transit costs whatever it costs with no option to change fares and a lot more varied street layouts (like pedestrian malls and custom parks et al) weren't included for whatever reason. There are mods out there that can help so the game engine obviously supports it but I don't know how well it does work or why the developers never chose to include it from the start. Maybe they just wanted to make a simple city builder and never expected it to take off the way it did and they're now stuck with a simple game?

I agree that there is a lot missing and maybe Cities: Skylines 2 will be a little more fleshed out now that CO has more to work with. I just hope it doesn't turn into another case of CiM being received well and then them trying to do too much in the squeal that turns everyone off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, sometimes I feel CO is terrified of "listening to the spergs" because that's why CiM2 was bad. They listened to every bad idiot idea and feature request fans wanted to put them all in, except without making those options or choices fun or meaningful. That loving ticket pricing system. Even setting up a simple basic bus route was an insane struggle against multiple windows and a stupid useless timetable system that made zero sense given the time-scale scope of the game. But fans wanted ticket price control. Fans wanted rush hours and day/night traffic patterns and the ability to increase or decrease service.

So, CO is terrified of listening to those sorts of voices. Skylines was a huge success and they don't want to change anything. Don't touch the core gameplay, don't add any new complexity or options because that leads to CiM2. But the problem wasn't adding too much complexity, it was mindlessly listening to fan requests and then implementing those requests like check-boxes rather than fully integrated and fun game mechanics. And they're now going down the same road. They're mindlessly writing down fan requests like "day and night" or "weather" or "trams" or "tourism and hotels" and then implementing them in really lazy bad ways then getting huffy when people criticize them. "But we're just giving people the requests the community wants!"

Which I think is the key difference between Paradox and CO. Paradox listens to the fans/spergs and then picks the best ideas and implements them well into the system while ignoring bad ideas, and they aren't afraid to go back and overhaul or gut previous systems. CO tries to fulfill as many requests as possible with the least amount of work and really doesn't want to touch or change any of the existing systems, just tack new stuff on top.

\/ That said it's still great fun, specially with mods and tweaks to make it the game it should/could be. But sometimes it feels like it's becoming a bit like minecraft, where the game is good despite its creator's not great vision and mostly due to the mod community.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 26, 2016

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Is this game worth buying if I already own SimCity 4? It seems like it's sort of stolen that game's thunder—there's no thread to replace the old one, and the modpack links have rotted—but with all the complaining in this thread you could be forgiven for getting the impression it's no good because the developers have absolutely no idea what to do with the success they've stumbled onto.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crosscontaminant posted:

Is this game worth buying if I already own SimCity 4? It seems like it's sort of stolen that game's thunder—there's no thread to replace the old one, and the modpack links have rotted—but with all the complaining in this thread you could be forgiven for getting the impression it's no good because the developers have absolutely no idea what to do with the success they've stumbled onto.

I like it a lot more than Sim City 4, which despite the cool terraforming tools I found really sterile and boring compared to SC3K.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Crosscontaminant posted:

The community is hella active with all kinds of cool new stuff being released all the time. If you're a fan of the genre and have the money to spend getting this game should be a no-brainer.

Certain aspects of the game go way deeper than SC4 ever could, and the end is not nearly in sight.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thread title is still accurate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Crosscontaminant posted:

We're just bitter old grogs who are sad the only DLC to the game we've dumped 3 digit hour counts in is cosmetic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

verbal enema posted:

can i get a couple of basic starting road layouts that some of you use?

welcome to every city i build

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
all i was missing was the roundabout! i literally forgot i could do that on my own! man thank you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just remember the old standby: When in doubt,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323EkgCySqc

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CJacobs posted:

Just remember the old standby: When in doubt,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323EkgCySqc

So… how does an ancient one work?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Believe it or not that's actually covered in the source video for some reason (1:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7Gc6QZvp4

I prefer the abridged version personally.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - Modern Randabaht Simulator

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Being able to run off-street, in their own right of way next to the street or in the middle of streets, being able to tunnel or bridge on their own, running down lovely pedestrian-only streets.

It'd be crazy not to have these, since you could do it relatively easily. Even if you do only lay them like busses, just implement it as a type of street that doesn't allow cars onto it which you can lay tram routes down.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Feel like playing this again, at least till my cities get too large and the thing just slows down to an absolute crawl.

I seem to remember reading the thread maybe around a month ago and seeing some up-to-date list of essential mods, does anyone know where that might be? I had a good look back through the thread but damned if I can find it.

Edit: And why is there several different versions of Traffic Manager now?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 26, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

welcome to every city i build

I do something similar but Ive started abusing tunnels under the main arteries because I hated the look of having so many elevated highways and 6 lane roads. Tunnels are much cleaner and you can run them under lots of odd slopes with few issues to connect areas.

The city I jsut started has an underground roundabout. :getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

It'd be crazy not to have these, since you could do it relatively easily. Even if you do only lay them like busses, just implement it as a type of street that doesn't allow cars onto it which you can lay tram routes down.

They've done lazier crazier things. I'd be shocked if they add "tram roads" or anything of the sort. It's going to be exactly like buses except the route create tracks. Or even worse, a couple special road types with tracks that are missing a bunch of obvious combinations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Furnaceface posted:

I do something similar but Ive started abusing tunnels under the main arteries because I hated the look of having so many elevated highways and 6 lane roads. Tunnels are much cleaner and you can run them under lots of odd slopes with few issues to connect areas.

The city I jsut started has an underground roundabout. :getin:

Not unusual to have an underground roundabout as there is one in Monaco.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Monaco is just playing with cheats on, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My stupid city keeps growing, at about 150k now.

I usually don't care for the night lighting, too many inconsistencies and really lazy art, but sometimes it just clicks and looks amazing.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
What're those Judge Dredd megablock-type things?

e: speaking of megablocks, I've been able to create some wall-to-wall late-modern glass skinned boxes. Will iterate some more...

Koesj fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 27, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

What're those Judge Dredd megablock-type things?

It's called "FOGBAE-TOWR4". I want more. I want many more. I want people to figure out how to make larger than 4x4 plops with residents.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's called "FOGBAE-TOWR4". I want more. I want many more. I want people to figure out how to make larger than 4x4 plops with residents.

Ploppable RICO mod. Assets need to be compatible though, something I'll probably end up doing with my own stuf at least.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

OSI bean dip posted:

Not unusual to have an underground roundabout as there is one in Monaco.

undergroundabout

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im now tempted to set up an entire network of catacomb like roundabouts and one way roads underneath a city and see what it does to traffic.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
New dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-snowfall-dev-diary-2-new-things-on-the-roads.904358/

Trams run standalone off roads, on their own bridges and in tunnels. They are adding road maintenance as well which has an effect on traffic speed.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

quote:

To build tracks, you can upgrade/downgrade existing roads to versions with tracks, or build new roads with tracks. There are both regular two-way roads and one way roads with tracks. As a finishing touch, tram tracks have overhead wires.

To give the trams some advantages over buses, tram tracks can also be built as standalone versions with no road beneath them. The standalone tracks are very handy for getting your trams to avoid busy intersections or streets known to be crowded. Stops can only be placed on roads and pedestrian pathways, but the standalone tracks allow for nice little detours to keep your trams free from traffic jams.
:woop:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's kinda weird seeing perfectly green deciduous trees in the dead of winter in that last shot - you think that with introducing seasons they'd also have taken this into consideration instead of making winter a time when a white texture was just applied over everything.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's kinda weird seeing perfectly green deciduous trees in the dead of winter in that last shot - you think that with introducing seasons they'd also have taken this into consideration instead of making winter a time when a white texture was just applied over everything.

theres already a bunch of snowy trees in the workshop, but im sure this is something that they will be addressing anyway.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They aren't doing seasons, winter is a map type.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furnaceface posted:

Im now tempted to set up an entire network of catacomb like roundabouts and one way roads underneath a city and see what it does to traffic.
Some of the first user screenshots after the tunnel patch was using tunnels for roundabouts or bypasses made of expressways because you can do stuff like turn every normal road junction into a fairly high-speed junction of your choice with less zoning impacts like you get from roundabouts or ramp spaghetti.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wish we had the option to just completely strip away the top layer of ground when building tunnels and other underground things. The ghosted effect can still make it really busy on the screen and hard to see what you're doing. Its also a pain when roads try to snap to each other.

Metrication posted:

They aren't doing seasons, winter is a map type.

Well that's slightly dissapointing but I really didn't know what to expect. Oh well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The big question is can the tram lines transition into metros? I need to recreate my green line branches, damnit! :argh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3500 people use my metro, which so far catches fire 100% less than the DC metro, so my city is a rousing success. :v:

(I nearly destroyed it setting tax rates to 4% for the posh mall)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just loving great, trams sound like they'll almost be ok, which means i'll have to buy all this stupid winter bullshit just to get trams. Once improved public transit strips out CO's absolute failure of a transit management system I'll be able to add in all sorts of cool custom trams from the workshop, build proper LRT's and suburban trams.

I'm curious what they mean about "stations can only be placed on pedestrian paths". Are they adding pedestrian streets, or just a new track type that has a path under it?
Not a fan of the tram track being a road upgrade. It's going to be yet another road type to clutter up the interface and result in tons of important missing combos or even more clutter. Can we have a tram avenue with dedicate tram right of way in the middle, 2 lanes for cars, a bus lane, and bike lanes? No? Why not?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 27, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I haven't played much since after dark came out but man, trams! Going to play the poo poo out of this DLC remaking Melbourne.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

drunkill posted:

I haven't played much since after dark came out but man, trams! Going to play the poo poo out of this DLC remaking Melbourne.

Is there just regular light DLC coming out for this or a big old expansion pack?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

I'm curious what they mean about "stations can only be placed on pedestrian paths". Are they adding pedestrian streets, or just a new track type that has a path under it?
I think its an obtuse way of saying tram stations are placed like bus stations and tram only right of ways don't have sidewalks.

With the way pathfinding works on speed limits I am kind of intrigued by what beautiful chaos can be sewn with strategically poorly deployed road maintenance crews turning pathfinding into a confused mess because of varying road maintenance levels.

e. Although the reality is they probably just keep pathfinding pointed at base speed limit. I'd like to see road maintenance being a reactive service instead to see what kind of chaos you can cause by losing lanes to potholes and maintenance crews fixing those potholes.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 27, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if the road maintenance buildings will poo poo purple everywhere too.

Will we regret it if we cut back on their funding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Boom boom! Black box no1 for all y'all who like corporate modernism.