Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What does "YOTJ" stand for? "You're On The Job?" "You're Off The Job?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Year of the job

a 12 month period during which a lot of posters here upgraded their jorbs, it might actually have been a thread-official "thing"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We use it mostly to say you need to get a new job, I got a new job, or for when you get a new job.

Works better then the old stand by of "in case you get hit by a bus".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo that pissed me off today: Hyper-V and CentOS6.7

Why yes! Running yum update SHOULD destroy networking Microsoft! Thanks!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ratbert90 posted:

Your first mistake there was using Hyper-V for anything other than a Windows OS. Rookie mistake, really.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Your first mistake there was using Hyper-V for anything other than a Windows OS. Rookie mistake, really.
To be fair, if they're gonna update LIS or their kernel drivers with a yum update and then blame the hypervisor, they'd probably do the same with vmware or any other environment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The real rookie mistake was figuring that that one particular server was on a vsphere like 100% of all the other Linux VM's. I inherited the mess, and I should have double checked. :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

To be fair, if they're gonna update LIS or their kernel drivers with a yum update and then blame the hypervisor, they'd probably do the same with vmware or any other environment.

I was going to ask exactly how he broke the hypervisor doing an OS update.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Trying to download some ISOs off of our datastore rather than flog our pipe, but vSphere keeps falling the download because of ERROR. That's it, that's the reason. Just ERROR. Thanks vmware!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Year of the job

a 12 month period during which a lot of posters here upgraded their jorbs, it might actually have been a thread-official "thing"

A few years back, I think right around the time the US recovering from the recession, a bunch of people who had been looking for new jobs suddenly found them. There was a few months in a row where all the job-seekers suddenly became new-job-havers and the enthusiasm was infectious.

Someone posted that "<year> is the year of the job!" or something and it stuck.

Now when yotj is mentioned, it is a reference to that golden time- a time when IT careers held possibilities of a bright and glorious future.

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Nutanix Representative Emailed posted:

Hey devmd01,

You might have attended our Star Wars movie premiere and learned a bit about Nutanix.

We're the market leader in hyperconverged infrastructure - combining servers and storage in a single software-defined appliance to simplify datacenter management.
This is a virtualization platform that allows you to easily scale incrementally, and manage your whole environment from a single user interface.
If you need a visual - here's how it works [click tracking link].

Are you open to speaking with my team to hear more about this technology, and seeing if/where you can leverage it in 2016?

gently caress you, no. Not when you've called me twice a loving day for a week straight you motherfucker. It's interesting technology, but you being a lovely pushy sales person trying to make contact to make your pitch pisses me quickly, and I will never intentionally do business with you for the foreseeable future.

Your number is getting blocked in google voice and i'm adding your email to the spam filter. gently caress off.

Edit: I just got an add request on linkedin, too :catstare:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 26, 2016

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
gently caress, I think they contacted me too after I went to the Cincinnati VMUG. I specifically told every rep that I was a contractor for the DoD and the very last person who would ever be asked for input on any purchase decisions and to not bug me. My phone had a dozen calls a day and half a dozen emails for a month solid.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Then would you be so kind as to pass them along to someone who can?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why does everyone have to continually ask "When are you free for a meeting?"

Seriously, my calendar has been completely shared for over a year just open it and setup a meeting between business hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tab8715 posted:

Why does everyone have to continually ask "When are you free for a meeting?"

Seriously, my calendar has been completely shared for over a year just open it and setup a meeting between business hours.

If it's from the non-tech guys, it's probably deep-ingrained sucking up to get any kind of time with important people.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

We tried this as an experiment once. Apparently if hyperV moves the VM off of the runner it's on and to another one, the VM's NIC's MAC address changes and (in a land where IPs are in any way tied to MAC, including through dhcp reservations) freaks networking the gently caress out. I'm genuinely interested in what the hell you ran into, because Terrible Virtualization Bugs is a hobby of mine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

anthonypants posted:

The unique thing is that most greybeards don't care about security, and IBM keeps that poo poo on lock under the pretext of proprietary trade secrets or whatever bullshit. Mainframes are not magically more secure than other computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfl4spvM5DI

I'm focusing on IBMi - there's a difference between Midrange and Mainframes let's ignore that.

The presentation is good but his first take is how mainframes aren't using HTTPS - implying that's it's a big security risk.

Well, if you configure the mainframe to be insecure of course it's going to be!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
That is a weird counterpoint to make against someone whose thesis statement was that mainframe administrators are bad at secure configuration.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Storysmith posted:

We tried this as an experiment once. Apparently if hyperV moves the VM off of the runner it's on and to another one, the VM's NIC's MAC address changes and (in a land where IPs are in any way tied to MAC, including through dhcp reservations) freaks networking the gently caress out. I'm genuinely interested in what the hell you ran into, because Terrible Virtualization Bugs is a hobby of mine.

You can give the VM a static MAC address.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Motherfuckers, if we spend our time bringing HP and CDW reps in to the building to discuss our new blade purchases, how can they still gently caress it up?

They sat in our office. We gave detailed reports of everything we have, how we plan to replace it, and what we want to replace it with. Firmware versions, concerns with HP-UX, chassis specs, and interconnects are discussed for hours. They decide on selling us Gen9 blades.

The blades get here and have a tag that says "You must update to firmware X for these blades to work properly."

We look it up, and the servers we are replacing (which have to run in parallel during migration, a point we specifically made) are not compatible on firmware X. We contact HP who confirms performance may be unpredictable on firmware X and is not supported.

We contact our vendors again and tell them they hosed up. HP guy says "Oh don't worry about those spec sheets, HP is just following a script, you guys should be fine!" HP guy's supervisor chimes in with "We'll have to verify your HP-UX is compatible with this firmware version, let us get back to you."

So great, we spend months on this poo poo, have servers in our building, and dual answers of "Ignore firmware warnings from our support team" and "I haven't researched this thing I was well aware of during the whole process."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sounds like not much has changed with HPE.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:vince:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Banks!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

One of our clients is about to replace an HP-UX system with AIX! My brother is running the project, smack dab in the middle of the project the datacenter that this thing lives in is being re-structured or something, basically the HP-UX will need to be powered down and moved. No one immediately knew the last time it had been rebooted, my guess is at minimum 5 years, because I've worked here that long and have not once heard of that system being rebooted. I give it a 50/50 chance of just not coming back to life, and if it does, I give it a 70/30 chance that something is severely screwed up. I'm sitting here with popcorn just waiting for the fun times to begin.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Dear loving employees:

You're going to get your goddamn computers. They just arrived on the dock today and we're GOING TO loving DELIVER THEM. There is a process here people. We have to tag them and put them in our database spreadsheet before you get the computer. I promise, we're not blueballing you. I do take the fact that I've been laden with $50k worth of computers that can be stolen pretty seriously.

On a happier note, these are our new workstations :smug:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
We have a new head of IT(or IS as my company calls it) here, and I think he has been reading too many things and going to too many conferences where the words "Synergy!" and "Team Dynamics!" are thrown around. His current idea is taking the development team I'm on and moving us away from the rest of IT. He wants to shove us in an empty room on a different floor from the other development teams with an "open floor plan", aka no cubicle walls, just a bunch of desks around the outside of the room, so we would lack even the minimal privacy of cubicle walls. Oh, this room is also next to a hallway with high traffic, as everyone who wants to use the "skyway", the indoor walkway that goes through downtown of this city, walks past, and not necessarily quietly. This just seems to be a horrible idea on so many levels that I can't even quantify them all.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
We have a few new laptops budgeted for this year. Do we give one to the business analyst who travels all the time and uses a 5 year old laptop with Windows 7 Home?

Nahhh, let's buy a new one for the sales woman who has a year-old laptop that she never uses. And let's buy her a really nice one too, so she can impress all our clients when she's on the road.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

beepsandboops posted:

We have a few new laptops budgeted for this year. Do we give one to the business analyst who travels all the time and uses a 5 year old laptop with Windows 7 Home?

Nahhh, let's buy a new one for the sales woman who has a year-old laptop that she never uses. And let's buy her a really nice one too, so she can impress all our clients when she's on the road.

The sales woman makes the company more money.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Sickening posted:

The sales woman makes the company more money.
I get that, but this has been the first time my management has acknowledged that with hardware purchases.

I've asked to replace her Vista desktop and been shut down. She works remotely and I've been denied getting her a hardware VPN over and over.

I wouldn't mind the decision as much if it were at least consistent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beepsandboops posted:

Give her the new laptop, flatten the image on her year-old one and give it to the business analyst? :shrug:.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give her the new laptop, flatten the image on her year-old one and give it to the business analyst? :shrug:.

Comedy option: Give the new laptop to the BA. Put a new wallpaper and a custom icon set on the salesperson's laptop and see if she notices.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ynglaur posted:

Comedy option: Give the new laptop to the BA. Put a new wallpaper and a custom icon set on the salesperson's laptop and see if she notices.

Add to this: remove the desktop shortcut to one of her apps, so she'll moan about it being different from her old one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Eikre posted:

That is a weird counterpoint to make against someone whose thesis statement was that mainframe administrators are bad at secure configuration.

Re-read exactly what I quoted, you can't make that Mainframes aren't more secure because the System Administrator whom configured it did a terrible job.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

One of our clients is about to replace an HP-UX system with AIX! :words:
More poo poo that doesn't piss me off.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I love when I am remoted into a server and the customer decides to restart it. That "other users are signed in, are you sure?" just gets in the way, i guess. Goodbye half hour of unsaved configuration.

Also, I was happy when it was announced we were getting new laptops soon. Then I was sad when I found out they didn't have numeric keypads like our current laptops. Then I saw one in person last week and noticed they don't even have dedicated home, end, page up, or page down keys. I guess I'll need to start swapping in my desktop keyboard while I'm working or get a USB splitter or something. I can't imagine not having home or end in Visual Studio, SSMS, or even loving notepad. Those keys should not be tied to a function key.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GI_Clutch posted:

I love when I am remoted into a server and the customer decides to restart it. That "other users are signed in, are you sure?" just gets in the way, i guess. Goodbye half hour of unsaved configuration.

Also, I was happy when it was announced we were getting new laptops soon. Then I was sad when I found out they didn't have numeric keypads like our current laptops. Then I saw one in person last week and noticed they don't even have dedicated home, end, page up, or page down keys. I guess I'll need to start swapping in my desktop keyboard while I'm working or get a USB splitter or something. I can't imagine not having home or end in Visual Studio, SSMS, or even loving notepad. Those keys should not be tied to a function key.

Development laptops are meant to be carted between docking stations. Two 23" monitors and a full sized keyboard at the minimum, thanks.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jeoh posted:

You can give the VM a static MAC address.

Yes; we just didn't realize that it would change in the first place. (I wasn't the one who created that VM.) Much like I didn't understand the two different ways Proxmox and Cloudstack use qcow2 for storage volumes until I was messing around trying to move a VM from one to the other, I learn best when faced with a real example.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Storysmith posted:

Yes; we just didn't realize that it would change in the first place. (I wasn't the one who created that VM.) Much like I didn't understand the two different ways Proxmox and Cloudstack use qcow2 for storage volumes until I was messing around trying to move a VM from one to the other, I learn best when faced with a real example.

Hey, happens to the best of us. Did you know that the dynamic MAC address pool is only 256 addresses by default? Fun stuff if you're hosting more VMs than that!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's from the non-tech guys, it's probably deep-ingrained sucking up to get any kind of time with important people.

Incorrect, it's a sales technique.

Always Be Closing! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

beepsandboops posted:

Company CEO tells me a Lenovo T430S costs too much money ($1200). Goes to Sam's Club, buys $800 ASUS 13" MacBook clone thingy. What a piece of poo poo. Locks up, lovely ASUS crapware everywhere, the SSD went out on it once already.

Huge sales conference is coming up on Monday (she flies out Saturday) and she tells me today she just can't handle the dongle basically not working that she has to connect it to a project with. Wore the poor port out. Micro HDMI or MicroVGA I don't know.

Last year when she went is when her hard drive was going out. "It's been slow all week, I guess I should have brought it in to you guys"