Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

They also last longer and are more durable. And loving baller.

Aww yee X-Files is back!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It kind of happens, but over years and years and the total amount of mercury in a tooth is less than the amount in a can of tuna. Also, dental amalgam fillings have elemental mercury, which (and this is weird to say) is much less toxic than the methylmercury you get from seafood.

quote:

eating seafood once a week raises urine mercury levels to 5 to 20 µg/L, which is equivalent to two to eight times the level of exposure that comes from numerous amalgam fillings. 

Even with a mouth full of amalgam fillings, total exposure during a single day is between 1 to 3 µg total, and doesn't even usually register in urine output.

E: and these are peak exposures where the majority of chewing surfaces have amalgam fillings. If they're non-chewing surfaces, exposure is negligible.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm pretty much done with diesels, though. Super laggy throttle response and falling flat on its face at ~3500RPM does not a fun engine make. I'd much rather drive something like the new 308 with the 130hp 1.2L 3-cylinder DI turbo engine. Or the 205HP 1.6L 4-cylinder, of course.
I largely dislike diesel road cars for similar reasons, but I have to admit that with a modern dual-clutch gearbox they do work pretty well, as it removes a lot of the frustration.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have several crowns, and one is over 20 years old. What the hell are you guys doing to your teeth that is making a crown fail in a year?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
gay dad, so what

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 25, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Point taken! I'm usually more skeptical of stuff like that, will have to figure out where I got that little nugget of knowledgepoo poo and berate/mock the source for spewing bullshit. Thanks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

The Locator posted:

I have several crowns, and one is over 20 years old. What the hell are you guys doing to your teeth that is making a crown fail in a year?

Some of it could be blamed on the early in office 3D CAD/milled fillings that started to take off in the early "oughts". The one I had that kept coming out was just poorly done and the mating surface wasn't great. The gold replacement has been rock solid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gold fillings (that are about 2% gold IIRC, the dental portion of training was abbreviated) and amalgam fillings are also semi-malleable, which means that if your tooth deforms for any other reason, they usually take the deformation instead of breaking apart like ceramic fillings.

And ceramic/composite fillings, while very durable, are very, VERY sensitive to contamination at the first bonding. Amalgam/gold fillings aren't nearly as sensitive, so if a tiny droplet of saliva gets onto the bonding surface during the procedure, they're just like "gently caress it" and they stick anyway. If that happens with a CC filling, it creates a void and also weakens the bond around the void, leading to them failing early on, especially if they're on the top of a molar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Geirskogul posted:

If that happens with a CC filling, it creates a void and also weakens the bond around the void, leading to them failing early on, especially if they're on the top of a molar.

I've had slight throbbing pains under chewing of medium-hard food on my CC crown ever since I had my root canal. Is that normal? I don't think it's ever gotten fully firm enough to chew anything on; I've had less pain simply because I've learned to favor that tooth more. A month or so after the initial crown work, I reported all this to my dentist, and he said some pain was normal.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

The first crown I have ever had fell off my tooth 14 months after I got it. It was glued back in, and now, 20-ish months later, still occasionally pains me while chewing despite having it shaved back twice.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Aww yee X-Files is back!!!

Yea did watch it last night? Was pretty good so far. Cant wait for the next one tonight.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea did watch it last night? Was pretty good so far. Cant wait for the next one tonight.

Yeah just watched it. Good poo poo.

Also I swear I read somewhere that gold fillings are like 8k or something.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

It's been awhile, but iirc my crowns were around $1k each, and gold saved me probably 50-100 each. That could be wrong though

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I've got two crowns. They're actually on adjacent teeth but one is gold and the other is a zirconia crown that they milled out with a CNC. The gold one took nearly a month of casting, fitting, recasting, etc. while the other one I had a crown within four hours (including a two hour break where they were milling the crown). It was also less than half as expensive--around $750 vs. over $2k (though the gold one needed a root canal, while the CNC one didn't).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

the spyder posted:

So, has anyone here ever been dicked around by State Farm? Our assigned rep will not answer her phone during business hours. When she does call, it's at exactly 3pm when my wife's picking our son up from school. She then leaves the office for the day at 3pm. Our rental ends today and we really need them to take ownership of the claim. We've been calling all day and I'm guessing my only other option is to call the general line and demand a new agent.

Yes. When I was rear ended in my accord 8 or 9 years ago now in which:
I carried full coverage
I was not found at fault (stopped on a surface street in rush hour)
The car was totaled.

It took me two weeks to get my settlement check which I had to pick up. In person. This was achieved by phone calls almost daily, giving grace for when they would tell me I would have it on X day but when X day rolled around and no contact I would then repeat the process. The first offer I promptly rejected and told them to find a car equal to what it was on the west coast for that money and I would go buy it. The next offer which I took was for over $1k more (on a $4k car). When I picked up the check there was a woman there getting hers. She told me her car was totaled out 4 weeks prior and she was just finally getting her check.

I canceled with them immediately following. I've been with All-State ever since. It costs a premium but every one of my dealings has been an actual delight.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Eh? Far as I know this isn't some ridiculous conspiracy theory. If it is and you can prove it, my mistake, I will gladly retract that.

Seems like it IS some ridiculous conspiracy theory...

Wikipedia posted:

It is the position of the FDI World Dental Federation[12] as well as numerous dental associations and dental public health agencies worldwide[13][14][15][16][17][18][19] that amalgam restorations are safe and effective. In addition, numerous other organizations have publicly declared the safety and effectiveness of amalgam and warned the public against those who suggest otherwise. These include the Mayo clinic,[20] the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA),[21] Health Canada,[22] Alzheimer's Association,[23] American Academy of Pediatrics,[24] Autism Society of America,[25] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,[26] National Multiple Sclerosis Society,[27] New England Journal of Medicine,[28] International Journal of Dentistry,[29] National Council Against Health Fraud,[30] The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research NIDCR,[31] American Cancer Society,[32] Lupus Foundation of America,[33] the American College of Medical Toxicology,[34] the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology,[34] Consumer Reports[7] Prevention Magazine,[35] and WebMD.[36]
References left in place on purpose to illustrate how many there are. Wikipedia page on dental amalgam controversy

I've had a flip through a bunch of these references and this seems legit.

I know you already recanted your position but I'd already made the quotes :v:

Geirskogul posted:

It kind of happens, but over years and years and the total amount of mercury in a tooth is less than the amount in a can of tuna. Also, dental amalgam fillings have elemental mercury, which (and this is weird to say) is much less toxic than the methylmercury you get from seafood.

Not quite true. As per the wiki page on dental amalgam it's around 50% mercury by weight, which is a lot. But it's all locked up by the other metals.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yes. When I was rear ended in my accord 8 or 9 years ago now in which:
I carried full coverage
I was not found at fault (stopped on a surface street in rush hour)
The car was totaled.

It took me two weeks to get my settlement check which I had to pick up. In person. This was achieved by phone calls almost daily, giving grace for when they would tell me I would have it on X day but when X day rolled around and no contact I would then repeat the process. The first offer I promptly rejected and told them to find a car equal to what it was on the west coast for that money and I would go buy it. The next offer which I took was for over $1k more (on a $4k car). When I picked up the check there was a woman there getting hers. She told me her car was totaled out 4 weeks prior and she was just finally getting her check.

I canceled with them immediately following. I've been with All-State ever since. It costs a premium but every one of my dealings has been an actual delight.

I've been finding other stories just like this. State Farm is who the other driver was insured through. I finally got ahold of the agent via the help of a phone-rep. She is hopefully taking my wife's statement as I type this. Just from the short conversation I had with her, I can tell this is going to be painful.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Just to play devils advocate, every dealing I've had with state farm has been smooth and resolved quickly. I think there was a two week delay once for a damage payout but that was due to a massive hailstorm so they were most likely overwhelmed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
But just straight-up rape-murder Geico.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KozmoNaut posted:

The drummer in Mastodon has a gold tooth, and he's a pretty cool dude.

Sold.

Also, I have a claim open with State Farm right now and they're kind of being fuckheads about it so we'll be dropping them once this fucker closes. We couldn't ever get more than 10 minutes worth of conversation out of anyone until we finally got somebody high enough up the order who told us 'Yeah, we're not allowed to hit more than 15 minutes on the phone so most agents try to get off at 10. I don't have to abide by those rules so I can talk.'

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Advice needed -- I'm looking at getting a window installed in one side of my house, above the kitchen. It's a 2-story wall, flat and open above the bulkheads above the kitchen cabinets. No metal structure in the wall, just studs all the way. Should be a simple installation, but I am going to farm it out since it's so high, especially outside, it's an easy 20' above grade.

Does anyone have experience with window dealers/contractors? What should I watch for/ask? I know the operation is just cut opening, frame out, install window, install trim... so what curves will the salesmen try to throw?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Advice needed -- I'm looking at getting a window installed in one side of my house, above the kitchen. It's a 2-story wall, flat and open above the bulkheads above the kitchen cabinets. No metal structure in the wall, just studs all the way. Should be a simple installation, but I am going to farm it out since it's so high, especially outside, it's an easy 20' above grade.

Does anyone have experience with window dealers/contractors? What should I watch for/ask? I know the operation is just cut opening, frame out, install window, install trim... so what curves will the salesmen try to throw?

If my experience is anything to go by, just don't.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Thank you :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

literally a fish posted:

Not quite true. As per the wiki page on dental amalgam it's around 50% mercury by weight, which is a lot. But it's all locked up by the other metals.

Sorry, I meant that the total amount leeched out. My bad on the wording.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Great Beer posted:

Just to play devils advocate, every dealing I've had with state farm has been smooth and resolved quickly. I think there was a two week delay once for a damage payout but that was due to a massive hailstorm so they were most likely overwhelmed.

Same experience here, and my agent has always had time for me even when I am just early window shopping possible new cars.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've only had one dealing with State Farm and it was smooth sailing. Although I didn't have to deal with anything time sensitive at all, like a rental or repair or whatever. My play car got totaled so I drove my daily car full time while I waited.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ssjonizuka posted:

If my experience is anything to go by, just don't.

Why? That's what I'm asking.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My issue right now is the rental. We need one for at least the next 4 weeks due to her injuries. She can't drive a stick due to shoulder/elblow/wrist injuries + burn. Our only automatic is my F150, which she can't get into due to back/neck/knee injuries. Like we guessed, the State Farm agent was incredibly rude. She did find a issue on our agent's end, which we are addressing tomorrow- but she literally ended the conversation by telling us to get a lawyer.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 26, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

My issue right now is the rental. We need one for at least the next 4 weeks due to her injuries. She can't drive a stick due to shoulder/elblow/wrist injuries + burn. Our only automatic is my F150, which she can't get into due to back/neck/knee injuries. Like we guessed, the State Farm agent was incredibly rude. She did find a issue on our agent's end, which we are addressing tomorrow- but she literally end the conversation by telling us to get a lawyer.

My State Farm CSR also told me to get a lawyer, it must be in the handbook.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Honestly unless you know someone that knows someone, just call around, get some estimates and choose based on whoever you think will do the job right, not on who's the cheapest. You can always ask for references, also check the BBB just to make sure. Search online to make sure there isn't a bunch of bad reviews about them or something. I know that all sounds obvious but it's really all you can do and just hope they do a good job and don't gently caress you over, and then just trust if they do you'll put their feet to the fire.

We just went through it with a roofer, roof failed inspection so we had to hire a lawyer (a friend thank god) to get it all worked out. Was a pain in the rear end, but that's the kind of poo poo that happens when you start hiring contractors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Was a pain in the rear end, but that's the kind of poo poo that happens when you start hiring contractors.

Yep. :( That's why I do everything I can by myself. I had the house roofed a few years back, and that went fine, but I kept things under a pretty tight watch. This is a much smaller job, but I don't know much about window stuff... all of the house is Andersen, but this is going to be a one-off, so it's okay if I change manufacturers... I just want something that's got a good energy rating.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think Anderson are still the best, last I checked Pella really fell in quality. gently caress any Jen-Welds... those things are hell.

I'm with leica on this, there's only so much you can do with a contractor. Usually you can get a decent vibe off people when you first meet them, go with your gut a little too.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Also look at codes yourself and make sure you know what to expect.
I had mine done, and they put the blue stuff on the top over the tar paper, which is useless, and didn't put any at the bottom.
This means I have a rotten chunk of OSB under the window, which may have been there before but the contractors of course didn't say anything about it.

We also have codes about what the sill is supposed to look like, and they didn't follow anything, just followed the instructions of "old out new in" but without saying "hey, none of this meets code".

Basically just watch them, like you say.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

What the gently caress Comcast? Our roommate that moved out never had cable installed when we had our lines run. Our new roommate wants cable now and Comcast is saying that we need to have an electrician run a new line from our splitter outside the house to his bedroom. I watched the loving Comcast tech do this when we moved in on 3 of our bedroons. WTC?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Not sure when I last posted. Effectively homeless as we still have no plumbing. Snow is loving terrible and my next truck will have 4wd.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

1500quidporsche posted:

Actuarial tables are actually sciencey and neat stuff. The issue is when it gets to underwriting and you have dumbasses who can't interpret them but follow some arbitrary rule made up by their own department without using any common sense.

I'm in underwriting :smithicide:

Yeah, that. I couldn't be arsed to look up the actual methodology, so I shat that out. I figured someone would call me on it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the gently caress Comcast? Our roommate that moved out never had cable installed when we had our lines run. Our new roommate wants cable now and Comcast is saying that we need to have an electrician run a new line from our splitter outside the house to his bedroom. I watched the loving Comcast tech do this when we moved in on 3 of our bedroons. WTC?

Even if the line is there, they are going to charge you just for coming and swapping the 3 way splitter for a 4 way. Enjoy your butt rape.

Also, gently caress state farm. They cancelled my car insurance after I was in an accident where I was found to be not at fault. A stoned cheerleader took the family car while her parents were in new york to drive her stoned as poo poo boyfriend to chick-fil-a (He literally got out of the car holding a half eaten chicken sandwich, looked at me and went "Dude, fuckin' women drivers, am I right?" in the most stereotypical stoner voice ever.), pulled all the way across the main highway, directly in front of me who was doing ~60mph. I was able to ditch into the median and only run my bumper along the side of their car instead of slamming into it with a 6000lb truck doing 60mph. She also lied like a rug to the cop and was caught in that lie, busted by her sister for lying to her parents and had to lie to the cop about why all the occupants of her car were trying to flee the scene. They decided this made me a high risk customer and that my policy should be cancelled. About 3 months later while changing my house insurance over to match auto, they tried to get me to stay by saying I could save money by switching my auto insurance to state farm. There was an awkward pause after I pointed out they were the ones that cancelled it in the first place. Progressive has been better in every single way anyways, so gently caress 'em.

Also, my dad had something like 90% of the rotting teeth in his head pulled and replaced with implants. They're pretty awesome, definately improved his quality of life and he swears they're better than the ones he was born with. This is a man who hates any and everything related to the medical field fwiw.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not paying for it so IDC. I would do it for my roommate myself but I don't have an extension ladder and my Sciatica has been horrible the past few weeks I am limping everywhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm in AZ and went down to the UMS tuning dyno day yesterday, which is for all the nasa tt racers to measure power and weight. A few interesting cars showed up, such as a Aston Martin V8 Vantage (324 rwhp), a race car NSX with itbs (288 whp), an 815awhp evo, and also a stage 1 fiesta st (just an ecu flash) which made 193whp and 260 lb-ft. Pretty impressive.

Also a stock FR-S, look at how hosed the torque curve is:

Then Tony suggested I go next door because there were a few Porshes around. These wheels were really wide:

It was one of those RWB cars, and the guy was actually there installing a kit on the black car here:

Apparently it costs something like 50k to get done. The guy comes and installs every one personally and you pay for all his expenses. And you had better have cartons of cigarettes, coca-cola, and whiskey around. He's the guy in the back dressed like a cowboy

Still has a lot of work to do underneath though. Tons of lines and wiring and stuff needed to get re-routed, the super expensive brakes didn't fit the fancy rwb wheels. I didn't take a lot of pictures because I'm not really into the rwb/liberty walk/silly huge fenders thing. They were pretty nice looking cars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Is that Magnus Walker?

• Locked thread