Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah the fact that the real game for Affinity is seeing if they can go 1-1 against the opposing sideboard seems pretty inane from a design standpoint. I don't really like the concept of 'deck that is extremely powerful but eats poo poo to extremely specific silver bullets', at least not to the extent that Affinity seems to push that interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really love some of the Eldrazi art from this set and it's shame you only ever see it all tiny, because some of it looks really cool at full size. Gravity Negator for example:

You'd never even notice the underwater hedrons and the little fish on the actual card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah the fact that the real game for Affinity is seeing if they can go 1-1 against the opposing sideboard seems pretty inane from a design standpoint. I don't really like the concept of 'deck that is extremely powerful but eats poo poo to extremely specific silver bullets', at least not to the extent that Affinity seems to push that interaction.

That's how eternal formats work.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

That's how eternal formats work.

-someone who apparently doesn't play eternal formats.

Like the only decks like that in legacy or vintage are Dredge and... Dredge. There's matchups you're just not going to win (RUG Delver vs. Lands, Death and Taxes vs. Jund) but that's not the same as "I win game 1 and try to beat your hate game 2 or 3."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I could see how if you were a newer player that only played standard in the past few years you could not understand silver bullet sideboard cards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Question: Is the collector number printed on a card the same across different language printings of the card?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

Question: Is the collector number printed on a card the same across different language printings of the card?

Answer: Yes.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

I really love some of the Eldrazi art from this set and it's shame you only ever see it all tiny, because some of it looks really cool at full size. Gravity Negator for example:

I think this is the root problem with most recent magic art. They are getting really, really great pieces that don't at all translate to a couple square inches. Old magic art was a lot less sophisticated, but a lot more recognizable at tiny sizes. That plus the homogenization of the art direction has left everything feeling pretty samey at card size.

Every few years I get back into magic and the art is better but does its job worse. It's not nostalgia driving my fondness for old art it's the the ability to help define wtf is going on across a table.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. Main decking a ghost quarter or two has helped me both slow down greedy mana bases, and quarter my own poo poo in response to land death. The cool thing is now I can take out my spellskites and try out thought-knot seers because twin is gone. Stony silence is ok hate I guess, but it's not as good as people think it is and blood moon is a dead draw against me as far as I'm concerned.

I would keep the Spellskite for the Burn, Infect, and Bogles matchups. (People keep saying bogles might be more of a thing with twin gone, we'll see)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I think this is the root problem with most recent magic art. They are getting really, really great pieces that don't at all translate to a couple square inches. Old magic art was a lot less sophisticated, but a lot more recognizable at tiny sizes. That plus the homogenization of the art direction has left everything feeling pretty samey at card size.

Every few years I get back into magic and the art is better but does its job worse. It's not nostalgia driving my fondness for old art it's the the ability to help define wtf is going on across a table.

They could, you know, make expedition land/planeswalker art formating and size the norm the way force of will does it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

They could, you know, make expedition land/planeswalker art formating and size the norm the way force of will does it.

Pokemon also does this, but their small frame art is actually very descriptive of what's going on, while their full card art is really vibrant and poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Both of those games have terrible art though so giving it more space is a net negative.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chill la Chill posted:

FoW cards look awful though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gwrtheyrn posted:

FoW cards look awful though

Entropic posted:

Both of those games have terrible art though so giving it more space is a net negative.

Uh it's more vibrant and looks really cool.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Those look loving awful to draft or do anything else that involves reading the cards.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chill la Chill posted:

Counterpoint: full art cards look really dumb when your rules text takes up half of the card

Also yeah, reading the pokemon card is pretty awful

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Those are literally garbage

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

Not this again lol

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

-someone who apparently doesn't play eternal formats.

Like the only decks like that in legacy or vintage are Dredge and... Dredge. There's matchups you're just not going to win (RUG Delver vs. Lands, Death and Taxes vs. Jund) but that's not the same as "I win game 1 and try to beat your hate game 2 or 3."

You guys are so dickish if someone doesn't agree with exactly what you feel. It's pretty amazing.

Also I once lost to D&T playing Jund. I drew 9 lands in a row while fetching. It was... Definitely a thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gwrtheyrn posted:

Counterpoint: full art cards look really dumb when your rules text takes up half of the card

Also yeah, reading the pokemon card is pretty awful

well yeah, planeswalkers suffer from that problem too. But the other images with not much rules text look fine.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You guys are so dickish if someone doesn't agree with exactly what you feel. It's pretty amazing.

Also I once lost to D&T playing Jund. I drew 9 lands in a row while fetching. It was... Definitely a thing.

I mean when people make an objectively wrong statement I'm going to call them out on it. Also yeah I've lost the Jund end of Death and Taxes because I drew 2 lands in the entire match.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You don't seem to get how criticism and providing counterpoints backed with examples works, nuanced by the fact that this is a fun website and not a church.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

You'd never even notice the underwater hedrons and the little fish on the actual card.

Reality Smasher looks so cool in HD imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the Eldrazi mostly look pretty cool in CG. People less so.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

BizarroAzrael posted:

What was that 'Thopter empowered by? If it had plating already they should have known Silence doesn't get it done. Or was it Ensoul Artifact?

From a page back, but I already had the plating out and on. He was just waiting for his removal to show up. It never did.

Semi-related: how much of a thing is ghirapur aether grid in modern affinity? Is it worth a slot in the board in place of/alongside blood moon?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Those look loving awful to draft or do anything else that involves reading the cards.

lmao Draft for Pokemon would be so poo poo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The creative / art direction people do know what they're doing sometimes. Whoever came up with the idea to give Kozilek the whole bismuth motif, that was a really good idea.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

lmao Draft for Pokemon would be so poo poo

I always find it funny when the YuGiOh kids at my LGS try to explain that they can draft, too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

The creative / art direction people do know what they're doing sometimes. Whoever came up with the idea to give Kozilek the whole bismuth motif, that was a really good idea.

Yeah, for real. Anything involving the creative design of the Eldrazi themselves (and not, say, the superfriends' interaction with them) has been pretty top notch, I'd say.

There's probably a snarky observation to be made about how modern Magic art direction is at its best when it's dealing with something alien that isn't expected to convey any human interest or humor. :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
To be fair, or something like that, the bismuth theme is such a good thing for an alien cause Bismuth already looks alien in real life. so the connection is already kinda there.

i really like how Ulamog's thing is taking away color while Kozileks is giving it color tho, thats a cool contrast

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Entropic posted:

Oh cool, those little spikes in the water use a magnet's effect on ferrofluid as a reference.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Reality Smasher looks so cool in HD imo

Thigh nipples.

It does look way better in HD though, instead of just a ball of random arms.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mandatory lesbian posted:

To be fair, or something like that, the bismuth theme is such a good thing for an alien cause Bismuth already looks alien in real life. so the connection is already kinda there.

i really like how Ulamog's thing is taking away color while Kozileks is giving it color tho, thats a cool contrast

As a group, they remind me a little bit of WoW's titans & the re-origination plotline: Ulamog devours the ambient mana on a plane, Kozilek injects his own version, and then Emrakul warps the plane to how it's "supposed" to look after Kozilek does his work.

Even if Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, you now have a massively powerful cosmic horror continuing to re-shape planes.. without the groundwork that makes it "safe" for it to do so. Emrakul needs to be answered in the very short term, and the idiots of the Gatewatch destroyed any lead they could possibly have had.

..and with that, i've spent 5 minutes longer thinking about it than anyone at Wizards creative.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Can I play U/R prowess in Standard to much effect without any jaces?

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Time+Spiral/Flagstones+of+Trokair#online

Finally the time has come to dump my 8.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

And the deck's not even that good

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

I mean when people make an objectively wrong statement I'm going to call them out on it. Also yeah I've lost the Jund end of Death and Taxes because I drew 2 lands in the entire match.
"When someone is wrong on the internet, you bet your sweet rear end I'm gonna make sure they know they're wrong without any explanation why!" -A shitposter

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vandalism posted:

Can I play U/R prowess in Standard to much effect without any jaces?

The general consensus is that Elusive Spellfist works just fine as a budget option and even has upsides over Jace for being more aggressive.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

"When someone is wrong on the internet, you bet your sweet rear end I'm gonna make sure they know they're wrong without any explanation why!" -A shitposter

how the gently caress do you have 434 posts in this thread already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I only have 294 posts. I need to poo poo post more.

• Locked thread