Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

potato of destiny posted:

You fuckers usually post too fast, its hard for those of us with "jobs" to keep up

do what i do and just respond to posts pages later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Tonight's Xfiles was good wtf are y'all talking about

:agreed:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

I am talking about sundays

It was a proof of concept.

Reboots are always messy but it seemed that it got the basic formula down

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

nutranurse posted:

do what i do and just respond to posts pages later

also what i do whenever im catching up and im at least sorta a dadchat regular

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

also what i do whenever im catching up and im at least sorta a dadchat regular

word up "i have too much stuff going on in real life to keep up w dadchat anymore" brother

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Conservative radio is so bad.

Dear God.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Gravel Gravy posted:

Tonight's Xfiles was good wtf are y'all talking about

wait, they're running one every night?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lotka Volterra posted:

wait, they're running one every night?

Sunday, Monday, now I think it'll be weekly Sunday

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

Conservative radio is so bad.

Dear God.

a few weeks ago my friend, who's black, was like "you should listen to this glen beck thing" and i did a double take

ive never met so many black republicans before in my life

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

euphronius posted:

What's wrong with This

that's not lost causeism but probably wrong

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

nutranurse posted:

a few weeks ago my friend, who's black, was like "you should listen to this glen beck thing" and i did a double take

ive never met so many black republicans before in my life

there is something very very very wrong with the south

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

nutranurse posted:

jesus christ man its your social circles, most black southerners are not conservatives by far

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

jesus christ man its your social circles, most black southerners are not conservatives by far

i've met 5 so far

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

granted those 5 all knew each other and i only met them from going to this really crazy church one time

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

it was the 2nd time in my life that ive seen someone catch the spirit

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Berke Negri posted:

reconstruction is bad is like lost cause-ism 101

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Berke Negri posted:

eh, man, I mean johnson was a massive gently caress up and only like one president in the next 50 years had any real notion about doing something, so i don't think it's that far off base to imagine that if lincoln had lived that the post-civil war era might have turned out better

but like all counterfactuals, nearly impossible to do anything with seriously

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That was a really good X Files episode.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thats not what she was talking about

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

actually did hillary go to school in the south? she should be given a pass if so

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol @ nn moving to atlanta, starts attending pentecostal church on the reg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reconstruction didnt really uh work

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

it is very likely Lincoln's reconstruction would have been not too dissimilar from Johnson's on the outset, though obv lacking Johnson's blatant sympathy go slave owners

usually the unknown unknown would be if Lincoln kind of hastily got everything back to how it was before the war in an effort to move on or gone in some other direction as he can be interpreted as doing either

i think hillary just meant if best president in history hadn't been murdered world would be better place

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

thats not what she was talking about

fine in my utter bemusement i exaggerated and she did probably never learn anything different about reconstruction since the lost cause was the interpretation taught back then.

still a hilariously bad thing to say

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

nutranurse posted:

granted those 5 all knew each other and i only met them from going to this really crazy church one time

inscrutable, really

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

eh, man, I mean johnson was a massive gently caress up and only like one president in the next 50 years had any real notion about doing something, so i don't think it's that far off base to imagine that if lincoln had lived that the post-civil war era might have turned out better

but like all counterfactuals, nearly impossible to do anything with seriously

Unless he was just doing it to spite the southern aristocrats Lincoln wasn't going to do jack poo poo for freed slaves in his second term. Much less anything that would have given them a leg up in his northern power base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

it is very likely Lincoln's reconstruction would have been not too dissimilar from Johnson's on the outset, though obv lacking Johnson's blatant sympathy go slave owners

usually the unknown unknown would be if Lincoln kind of hastily got everything back to how it was before the war in an effort to move on or gone in some other direction as he can be interpreted as doing either

i think hillary just meant if best president in history hadn't been murdered world would be better place

Thats a pretty big "obv lacking"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

right, which is an entirely valid point and idk why rask thinks this some smoking gun

i mean i do

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Lincoln probably would have just kept going on with what he done in all the already liberated states. have 10% of the population sign a loyalty pledge

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Raskolnikov38 posted:

She's not saying reconstruction was bad, she's saying it failed

which is pretty indisputable

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

nutranurse posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Unless he was just doing it to spite the southern aristocrats Lincoln wasn't going to do jack poo poo for freed slaves in his second term. Much less anything that would have given them a leg up in his northern power base.

turned out better is a pretty low loving bar, to be fair

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

That was a really good X Files episode.

It really was.

I'm pissed that this season is only 6 episodes now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hea your dawg whistle faiuh Hillurye, thinks Beaufort J Beuregard, Civil War conspiracy theorist

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Would Lincoln really go to all the trouble of amending the constitution and then fail to properly enforce those amendments?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Foppery posted:

She's not saying reconstruction was bad, she's saying it failed

which is pretty indisputable

she's saying it was divisive and directly compared it to jim crow when actually reconstruction was extremely cool and good regardless of the wails of the planters

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Foppery posted:

Would Lincoln really go to all the trouble of amending the constitution and then fail to properly enforce those amendments?

no

Raskolnikov38 posted:

she's saying it was divisive and directly compared it to jim crow when actually reconstruction was extremely cool and good regardless of the wails of the planters

that is not what she's saying at all, good lord you're an idiot sometimes.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

nutranurse posted:

it was the 2nd time in my life that ive seen someone catch the spirit

You were going to a Pentecostal Church, try a Baptist Church from the National Baptist Convention next time if you want something historically African American and less insane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

death of the author doesnt apply to rhetoric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, if you didn't go to church growing up, you can't really just start going in your 20s and saying your a faithful man or some poo poo.

Smh

• Locked thread