Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

JetsGuy posted:

I don't remember anything nearly as gross as a woman attempting to cut her own baby out on the XFiles.

I really could have done without.

Apparently you never saw "Home."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
"Mulder, the internet is not good for you."

*Closes Brazzers window*

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
That was realllllly good, despite the grossness.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
That was some good rear end x-files, even the references to bad old continuity stuff couldn't derail it. Faith restored

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Definitely better.

The cinematography seems a lot less dark and noir on this new stuff.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

So so good. I hope the ratings were high again tonight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That episode was much better and gives me hope for the rest of the season. Pretty cool to see the Hannibal reunion too.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Got the nostalgia vibe from this one a LOT. Really felt like good ol' X-Files "freak of the week" stuff. I was really worried it would be a 6-episode "mythology/relationship" arc that would have me barfing.

I had enough of that with the I Want To Believe movie. That thing STUNK.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That intro... I'm thinking it was a mistake to do a big fat dab minutes before the episode started. I'm not okay with the way this is going. Goddamn. :stonk:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It seems like even the MOTW episodes will give some exposition to the mythology. That's cool, some of the MOTW were like that back in the day.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

It seems like even the MOTW episodes will give some exposition to the mythology. That's cool, some of the MOTW were like that back in the day.

Season 2 does that a bit. Blood and that Tony Todd episode own.

I haven't watched yet tonight. Recorded it. Hoping it's not bad.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Apparently you never saw "Home."

Don't remember it. Definitely saw it multiple times.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Only seen the first episode, but:
LIKED: Duchovny and Anderson.
DID NOT LIKE: Awful exposition dumps, a plot driven by a really half-assed, handwavey attempt to retcon away nearly all of the series' alien mythology, one which fails to ring true even on a character level.

I mean, yes, the series' mythology got far too convoluted for its own good, thanks in large part to Carter making things up as he went along, but surely there were better ways to deal with that than "everything in the original series involving aliens was an incredibly, ludicrously elaborate smokescreen to cover up a *different* conspiracy involving aliens."

Thank god that the next two episodes are allegedly better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pretty decent episode but man I do not give a single poo poo about magic wonder baby William. We already had two seasons of that. Also :laffo: at Mulder imagining him being abducted. Not everything has to be aliens, Mulder.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BlackJosh posted:

I mean, the new theory doesn't exactly jive (yet) with all that we know and have seen but that alien was totally an alien

Maybe, Maybe not. There was that one episode with the cigarette smoking alien in a cage who turned out to be a human test pilot in a suit.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

My Q-Face posted:

Maybe, Maybe not. There was that one episode with the cigarette smoking alien in a cage who turned out to be a human test pilot in a suit.

Well, to be fair, that was (if I recall) Jose Chung's From Outer Space, so everything mythology-based in that episode is highly suspect.

Still... Maybe it's not aliens after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

woodch posted:

Well, to be fair, that was (if I recall) Jose Chung's From Outer Space, so everything mythology-based in that episode is highly suspect.

Still... Maybe it's not aliens after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I want to believe Mulder ate an entire sweet potato pie while asking UFO questions.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Watched the first episode. Oh my god, 24 was more subtle than this.

Scully: "Why, Fox, you can't go on camera and lay out a blatantly fear-mongering right-wing tirade like that! Why, exposing an audience of millions of easily swayed American citizens to something like that would be downright irresponsible." :turns to camera and winks:

.....aaaaaaaand I think I'm done.

edit: also didn't they already reveal that the whole alien conspiracy thing was a smokescreen in the old series?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Episode owned bones, X-Files is back baby

I hope season 11 is at least 10 episodes, preferably 12. And still no more than 2 or 3 mythology episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Watched the first episode. Oh my god, 24 was more subtle than this.

Scully: "Why, Fox, you can't go on camera and lay out a blatantly fear-mongering right-wing tirade like that! Why, exposing an audience of millions of easily swayed American citizens to something like that would be downright irresponsible." :turns to camera and winks:

.....aaaaaaaand I think I'm done.

edit: also didn't they already reveal that the whole alien conspiracy thing was a smokescreen in the old series?

Yes then no then yes then no again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jack Gladney posted:

Yes then no then yes then no again.

God that story was convoluted. Don't even ask me what the hell ever happened to Mulder's sister.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

XboxPants posted:

God that story was convoluted. Don't even ask me what the hell ever happened to Mulder's sister.

Killed by a Santa Clause-themed serial killer who kidnapped her from a hospital she ran to after escaping from the smoking man's house after he secretly adopted her from the aliens and chose to raise her as his own.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don't know why people don't love that sweet conspiracy mytharc!

The conspiracy episodes are at their best when they're digesting and reflecting the American paranoia of the age and the weird secret history of the United States. When they make up their own poo poo it just all goes sideways. But the early conspiracy episodes were great because of how they engaged stuff that was already out there. This is why the Devin Faraci episodes of the X-Files Files are the best: he was a pothead conspiracy nut in the 90s.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
A question about the last X-Files movie from 2008 (subtitled, I Want to Believe): does that movie tie into this new series? I didn't see the movie, so didn't know if I should watch that first in case it had anything that ties into this new series.

Or was the movie stand-alone and not "canon" as far as this new series is concerned?

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Both episodes have felt super, super rushed. It's very disconcerting to be watching a show live and sitting through commercials.

These episodes are not the best, but nothing can be worse than season 8-9. Mulder and Scully leaving the world forever with "I want to believe" was depressing, so I feel at the very least if these last 6 episodes are the actual ending, things will at least end on a tolerable note.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Jack Gladney posted:

This is why the Devin Faraci episodes of the X-Files Files are the best: he was a pothead conspiracy nut in the 90s.

Lol@ Devin Feraci. The worst part of chud.com back in the day which is saying a lot.

Liked this episode much more than the premiere. Watching Millennium now just because

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 26, 2016

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

nnnotime posted:

A question about the last X-Files movie from 2008 (subtitled, I Want to Believe): does that movie tie into this new series? I didn't see the movie, so didn't know if I should watch that first in case it had anything that ties into this new series.

Or was the movie stand-alone and not "canon" as far as this new series is concerned?

Don't watch it.

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

This is the show I loved. There you are.

It stung a bit. But it's back, and I'm so glad.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

nnnotime posted:

Here's a spoiler-free mini review from what I remember of watching it:

It's shameful, nostalgia-cash-grab garbage, overloaded with exposition and flat dialogue. I can't tell you how it ends because I gave up on it with about 20 minutes left. I just did not care how it was going to end.

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "PEEEEEEYOOOOOOO! Whooooooo! I mean, I don't usually walk out in the middle of a movie, but whewwwwwwww!"

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I just watched the first two eps back to back. My god, do things step up the second you get this out of the hands of Carter.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

nnnotime posted:

It's unneeded. Basically the only two things which barely tie into the new series are it serves as a minor-bridge between the old series and the new for two plot points: It sets up why Mulder is no longer hunted by the FBI after the original series finale, and it sets up Scully's job working at the hospital she's still working at in this series.

Other than those two things, it was a movie which would have been a passable monster of the week episode stretched out to movie length.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 26, 2016

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

When do ratings get released?

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

hcreight posted:

My god, do things step up the second you get this out of the hands of Carter.

This is the actual Truth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Holy loving poo poo that high pitched whine hitting Mulder was unpleasant. poo poo gave me a headache.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Teek posted:

It's unneeded. Basically the only two things which barely tie into the new series are it serves as a minor-bridge between the old series and the new for two plot points: It sets up why Mulder is no longer hunted by the FBI after the original series finale, and it sets up Scully's job working at the hospital she's still working at in this series.

Other than those two things, it was a movie which would have been a passable monster of the week episode stretched out to movie length.
Ok, thanks, so the movie is loosely tied in, but skippable. At least the writers considered the movie for continuity.

I like this first episode so far, but it's a real chore to watch it on Fox's website, since the stream keeps locking up, and the commercials re-run for 2 minutes each time I refresh.

Scully seemed so tired and lacking energy, even more so than I recall from the original series. Perhaps she was just acting depressed, which is understandable. Mulder looks a little less spry but still shows the same enthusiasm as before.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
If they gave up William as a baby, why do they have flashbacks of him older than that, them acting as parents? Don't think I missed anything.

Edit: Also, wasn't Our Lady of Sorrows the place where Eve 6 was cooked up?

xPanda fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 26, 2016

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

68k posted:

When do ratings get released?

Tomorrow. Don't expect anything near what the premiere got, considering that came right after the NFC Championship Game. But any demo number that's halfway decent will get Fox to want to make more.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Only seen the first episode, but:
LIKED: Duchovny and Anderson.
DID NOT LIKE: Awful exposition dumps, a plot driven by a really half-assed, handwavey attempt to retcon away nearly all of the series' alien mythology, one which fails to ring true even on a character level.

I mean, yes, the series' mythology got far too convoluted for its own good, thanks in large part to Carter making things up as he went along, but surely there were better ways to deal with that than "everything in the original series involving aliens was an incredibly, ludicrously elaborate smokescreen to cover up a *different* conspiracy involving aliens."

This was my main problem with the premier. Even if some parts of the original mytharc weren't great, it's silly to try to throw it all away. Am I really supposed to believe that all of those times we saw aliens and shape-shifters, it was really just part of a man-made conspiracy? What about all the times the syndicate was discussing the different alien factions, when Mulder and Scully weren't even present? Hopefully it turns out that Tad is just trying to manipulate Mulder for some reason by lying to him, and Mulder is just too desperate to believe.

That said, I'm glad Cigarette Smoking Man is back.

Anyway, episode 2 was rad. Think there was any significance to that kid who ran out in front of Mulder and Scully's car? Was he around 15? He could be their son. Or was there some other reason for that shot that I'm missing? (I could be reading too much into nothing, of course.)

xPanda posted:

If they gave up William as a baby, why do they have flashbacks of him older than that, them acting as parents? Don't think I missed anything.

Those weren't flashbacks. Mulder and Scully were each imagining what their lives would have been like if they had raised him. They imagined their hopes (parenthood) and fears (alien stuff).

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2016

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

Anyway, episode 2 was rad. Think there was any significance to that kid who ran out in front of Mulder and Scully's car? Was he around 15? He could be their son. Or was there some other reason for that shot that I'm missing? (I could be reading too much into nothing, of course.)

That was the doctor's son. They were establishing (after the fact) that he was in the area to use his power on Mulder when they were investigating the apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving love this show - they can do this until they are decrepit and just die/get abducted on tv.

• Locked thread