Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mirage posted:

So the slightly European-like names are just the translator's quirky interpretation, huh. It's way more obvious from this transliteration that the brothers are supposed to be named something like "Herk" and "Kuleas."

No that's just how Japanese works, don't worry the manga is literally named Helck, in Roman letters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

AnonSpore posted:

No that's just how Japanese works, don't worry the manga is literally named Helck, in Roman letters

Well fart. Never mind. Helck 4 lyf.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I hope we do get to the Northern threat eventually, but I hope it doesn't directly relate to Mikaros and Rafead, that would be lame and make the world feel smaller.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Its literally "helck", in english

That doesn't mean it's not wrong.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I can't believe you guys are doubting the amazing Helck translator. How quickly the cub turns against the hand that feeds it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mycot posted:

I can't believe you guys are doubting the amazing Helck translator. How quickly the cub turns against the hand that feeds it.
Well it's not feeding us right now! Clearly the worst person ever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

mycot posted:

To be clear, I'm not saying the translator got something wrong. I'm saying that the original Japanese author, native speaker of a language which contains neither "L"s nor "R"s, screwed it up.

In an ideal world, a native English speaker could sit down with him and say "Hey, is maybe this what you intended? Because what you wrote actually sounds like this," but that doesn't usually happen and so we get manga named Attack on Titan and directors named Simbo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Or maybe he didn't screw up because it's just meant to be a fun twisting of the reference and Helck and Cless are not literally meant to be Heracles. If they were then Helck's name would have to be spelled He Ra Ku in katakana instead of He Ru Ku.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Actually Helck looks more like "Herc" and Cless is "cules".

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Or maybe he didn't screw up because it's just meant to be a fun twisting of the reference and Helck and Cless are not literally meant to be Heracles. If they were then Helck's name would have to be spelled He Ra Ku in katakana instead of He Ru Ku.

they're working on the theory that the author meant hercules, not heracles

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rodyle posted:

I hope we do get to the Northern threat eventually, but I hope it doesn't directly relate to Mikaros and Rafead, that would be lame and make the world feel smaller.

Monsters flood the demon world. Monsters flood the human world. Awakened humans look suspiciously close to berserk demons and characters of other origins. Mikaros claimed that he came upon these powers years ago when travelling the world. They're related.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Air is lava! posted:

Well it's not feeding us right now! Clearly the worst person ever.

Feed me Seymour Rello, Feed me!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The empire has a problem with new world organisms. Mikaros keeps trying to yank open big old gates to the world they come from. They are only invading the empire at all so that he can get at their barrier crystals, though Edil still likes to pretend otherwise. I dunno what his goal is past opening the portals, since Mikaros has yet to do so successfully. It may be that the whole awakened human thing was solely to provide troops to occupy a castle long enough for him to do his thing.

Unrelated, but I absolutely love how Hyura rips Edil apart verbally before ripping him apart physically. She is harsh as hell but very accurate in her criticism.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Unrelated, but I absolutely love how Hyura rips Edil apart verbally before ripping him apart physically. She is harsh as hell but very accurate in her criticism.

She likes pretty boys but hates weak men, you see.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Really hoping Zell manages to rebel or snap out of it or something.

Dude might've been a stick in the mud in a past life but he seemed to know right from wrong.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Me after reading this

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Me after reading this

I'm glad of it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought it was just OK up until they got off the island, then it just got better and better. Also wtf was up with the cursed guy Helck fought who was the last person left in the ruins of the two countries? The guy who gives Helck his new sword. That seems like it could be super important but its kind of glossed over. I guess theyll go back to that later.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I thought it was just OK up until they got off the island, then it just got better and better. Also wtf was up with the cursed guy Helck fought who was the last person left in the ruins of the two countries? The guy who gives Helck his new sword. That seems like it could be super important but its kind of glossed over. I guess theyll go back to that later.

That guy has the same powers as Mikaros, which implies that hero awakening is related to the curse of darkness.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think he and the guy that transforms directly beforehand are supposed to be tied to the same power of awakening that the humans use, and also the new world organisms that appear

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The cursed sword hasn't been very important because that was the only real fight Helck has had outside of flashbacks and also because he has no idea of how to use a sword.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 26, 2016

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

El Burbo posted:

That guy has the same powers as Mikaros, which implies that hero awakening is related to the curse of darkness.

I thought it was even more apparent with the first village they stumbled into post-island. I think it's even true to Helck himself; there's clearly something off about him in a curse-of-darkness-y way on occasion. I will be interested to see how it all gets tied up.

Side question - now that we're weekly, what day will Helck be updating?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hey could you not post unlinked spoiler images of the newest chapter(before most people even realize it's out)?

EDIT: As far as I can tell it's not even out yet.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You just gotta know where to look

I'll edit it though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Helck isn't licensed, you can link to it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

Helck isn't licensed, you can link to it.

It always gets posted on 4chan first but people are averse to that so I don't post it

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/136600396#p136617584

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished reading this over a week and really binged the latest 30 chapters tonight. Great stuff. It really reminds me of a Brandon Sanderson novel but with anime touches and really really fantastic visual storytelling.

So looking forward to more Helck.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

El Burbo posted:

It always gets posted on 4chan first but people are averse to that so I don't post it

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/136600396#p136617584

it isn't an ideal way to read something, but it is definitely better than nothing at all

it was a cool chapter tho

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Anyway, looks like we're getting Azudora flashbacks now. It seems he was the owner of the Hero Killer, which means that Alicia is a descendant of either Azudora himself, or a hero that Azudora gave the sword to when he decided he didn't want to kill people anymore

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm alright with people linking to 4chan as long as people know what they're clicking is a 4chan link.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter is out on Kissmanga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-061-001?id=262419

In which there is a shocking discovery - Dogman's ears are detachable.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Azudora is super boss and I'm glad of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In retrospect it was probably kosher for Sharky (and Burbo) to edit that picture back in since the new chapter's officially out now, but since a lot of people use this thread to check if there's a new chapter, let's not be posting pictures from future chapters before those chapters have been linked to in the thread.

Sorry Sharky. Least you can sleep this one off.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 26, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shiiiiit, the weekly chapters are only half chapters.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another pun - The Toosu-men (the orc-like people whom Helck fought in Chapters 26 and 27) and the Ellyu (the pig-people whom Helck liberated from the Toosu-men) are both named after the Boar of Erymanthos (another beast that Hercules fought during his Twelve Labours).

Ellyu = "Ery"

Toosu-men = "manthos" read backwards

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

In retrospect it was probably kosher for Sharky (and Burbo) to edit that picture back in since the new chapter's officially out now, but since a lot of people use this thread to check if there's a new chapter, let's not be posting pictures from future chapters before those chapters have been linked to in the thread.

Sorry Sharky. Least you can sleep this one off.

No big. I don't think I single splash page that doesn't really reveal any information about the plot is a spoiler tho, it's just a cool looking page of azudora.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's the last page of a chapter that was only then available in a 4chan thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sharkopath posted:

No big. I don't think I single splash page that doesn't really reveal any information about the plot is a spoiler tho, it's just a cool looking page of azudora.

It reveals he wasn't always who he is.
But eh it's sorta inconsequential.

Whats REALLY interesting is that Azudora had Hero Killer. :stare:

• Locked thread