Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
IMGUR is an incredibly cringey community that makes me sick to my stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

My partner has paranoid schizophrenia and having to deal with that poo poo is just not fun in the slightest goddamn now I'm angry at shitheads on the internet.

I'm sorry to hear that, must be a rough deal - though I won't pretend to really know.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's not that bad as long as they stay medicated but having someone you love be freaking out and knowing you can't really do anything to help them is the worst feeling in the world :smith:

I fuckin' wish all they did was write Alice In Wonderland quotes on a notepad.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

EmmyOk posted:

I see you are still a Good Poster™ after all.

content

This is actually STH originating from my university. Albeit gone through a weird STDH tumblr machine.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ts-9321670.html

drunk
Jan 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

It's not that bad as long as they stay medicated but having someone you love be freaking out and knowing you can't really do anything to help them is the worst feeling in the world :smith:

I fuckin' wish all they did was write Alice In Wonderland quotes on a notepad.

I remember one time in high school I was wildly stabbing the invisible agents in my backseat while driving. I don't remember quoting a Disney movie while doing it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Not that I didn't hear "you can't have that, it's a girl's/boy's toy" in retail a ton, but in reality the worst anyone does is glare.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scathach posted:

Not that I didn't hear "you can't have that, it's a girl's/boy's toy" in retail a ton, but in reality the worst anyone does is glare.

I like how even if this had happened, it would have accomplished nothing. Like, that little girl doesn't get to have a guitar all of a sudden because a stranger randomly intervened by moving product around the store.

Also, that loving "schizophrenics are magic" thing has a part two, which is on the front page now. It made me think, even if one of your deceased relatives, who was very ill, left you personal notebooks, why the gently caress would you put them online?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cash crab posted:

It made me think, even if one of your deceased relatives, who was very ill, left you personal notebooks, why the gently caress would you put them online?

Ignorning that lolful made up script and language, if there were parts of the notes that were in some genuine unusual script, that looked RTL like Hebrew or Arabic, I could see sending out snippets to see if anyone online recognized it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

Also, that loving "schizophrenics are magic" thing has a part two, which is on the front page now. It made me think, even if one of your deceased relatives, who was very ill, left you personal notebooks, why the gently caress would you put them online?

Seriously. Man I really hate people that romanticize mental illness. "Look how cute and fun this terrifying, misunderstood illness is! Let's encourage people to stay off meds!"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sing out, sister. Rave on, woman.

http://tinyurl.com/EvenWalmartSellsThese

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

^^: LOL, the related products has a tiny bow and arrow. Kids toys look neat these days.

kimbo305 posted:

Ignorning that lolful made up script and language, if there were parts of the notes that were in some genuine unusual script, that looked RTL like Hebrew or Arabic, I could see sending out snippets to see if anyone online recognized it.

Yeah, but these pictures aren't doing that. They're basically saying people with mental illness are people we should either be afraid of or fascinated by, which is something I personally hoped we all got over once we stopped letting corrupt bishops run mental institutions.

Scathach posted:

Seriously. Man I really hate people that romanticize mental illness. "Look how cute and fun this terrifying, misunderstood illness is! Let's encourage people to stay off meds!"

Yep. "Wow! Mental illness is so fascinating!" Honestly, a lot of younger psych majors take on this attitude, which always pisses me off.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

cash crab posted:

I like how even if this had happened, it would have accomplished nothing. Like, that little girl doesn't get to have a guitar all of a sudden because a stranger randomly intervened by moving product around the store.

I almost expected her to say "And I'm sixteen and a half!" Seriously, saying you are knocked up at 18 isn't exactly all that much better.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

cash crab posted:

^^: LOL, the related products has a tiny bow and arrow. Kids toys look neat these days.

Yeah, but these pictures aren't doing that. They're basically saying people with mental illness are people we should either be afraid of or fascinated by, which is something I personally hoped we all got over once we stopped letting corrupt bishops run mental institutions.

Yep. "Wow! Mental illness is so fascinating!" Honestly, a lot of younger psych majors take on this attitude, which always pisses me off.

Well, it is fascinating, in the same way that any disease is to a person who wants to help relieve it. I really hate the "what if they're the sane ones?" Mentality and I hate when any thing that's strays from a perceived norm is treated as magical or otherworldly. I would have been much more likely to believe any of that's guys nonsense if it was written plainly on notebook paper without any of the attempts at different penmanship.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

cash crab posted:

My daughter has that and it's actually pretty fun to use.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

cash crab posted:

Right, it is fascinating. The problem is when you forget these are human beings and not case studies. Finding an illness fascinating doesn't have to objectifying the person.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bonster posted:

Right, it is fascinating. The problem is when you forget these are human beings and not case studies. Finding an illness fascinating doesn't have to objectifying the person.

I believe you'll find everything in life is either/or so there's no middle ground in any subjects.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Isn't that the same as a med student saying, "wow cancer is fascinating," so they go on to work hard to learn about it and treat it?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Bonster posted:

Yeah, sorry, I should clarify that I'm referring to a very specific attitude where people do forget other people aren't just case studies, or they focus on the violent or scary parts of mental illness. There's a big difference from going, "I find this field really interesting," and the opposite spectrum where people act in a way similar to what other people upthread were describing, i.e.: "Wow, the mentally ill are so weird."

jodai posted:

Well, it is fascinating, in the same way that any disease is to a person who wants to help relieve it. I really hate the "what if they're the sane ones?" Mentality and I hate when any thing that's strays from a perceived norm is treated as magical or otherworldly. I would have been much more likely to believe any of that's guys nonsense if it was written plainly on notebook paper without any of the attempts at different penmanship.

This, basically is what I mean.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

That and the self-diagnosers. "I'm so boring...oh, I know! I'll act like I have multiple personalities/BPD/biploar disorder/PTSD/anxiety and people will flock to me! Mental illness is so cool!"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Scathach posted:

That and the self-diagnosers. "I'm so boring...oh, I know! I'll act like I have multiple personalities/BPD/biploar disorder/PTSD/anxiety and people will flock to me! Mental illness is so cool!"

This was super popular among the Hot Topic kids back in high school and I'm more than a little distressed at how some of these people keep doing it into adulthood

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I just wish my Severe Depression made me cool and Interesting.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I just wish my Severe Depression made me cool and Interesting.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

What was that loving thread again where that one girl was trying to convince everyone she had multiple personalities? The one with the Zelda wedding.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

cash crab posted:

What was that loving thread again where that one girl was trying to convince everyone she had multiple personalities? The one with the Zelda wedding.

Trying to find the original, but is this the one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2566121

She's so ♡★♥☆special☆♥★♡!!!

E: found the original, my god.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1796748&highlight=

Scathach has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Jan 26, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting from the D&D forwarded email thread

seiferguy posted:

I don't know how to share videos from my phone from facebook but I just saw one where a dude is in line at a fast food restaurant and says "hey I'm active military, do I get a discount?" And a woman goes "ugh that's so much privilege, thinking because you're military you can ask for such things" then the guy says "it's not a privelege. It's a discount. Privelege is not having to wake up in a battlefield to ensure freedom for the rest of us" or some poo poo like that. Then he apologizes to the cashiers if he's offended them, and the person behind him pays for his meal.

I nearly lost my eyesight from how hard they rolled.

Edit: let's try this: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=950349838347169&id=873872702661550

:siren:People are now staging stdh videos:siren:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Titled "Friend bought $600 Apple Watch on eBay and this is what came".

Because people will not only spend full price for something on eBay, but they will pay MORE than full price on eBay.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

RandomAction Man posted:

My uncle was admitted to mental institutions repeatedly throughout his life.

Sometimes he had conversations with people who weren't there

Mostly, though, he just wrote.

Source: http://imgur.com/gallery/LXlRE

I don't care if this is fake, that handwriting is wonderful
(Also, I'd give it some points if it were part of a viral marketing campaign for a movie)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

Trying to find the original, but is this the one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2566121

She's so ♡★♥☆special☆♥★♡!!!

E: found the original, my god.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1796748&highlight=

:allears: Yeah. She was 50% STDH stories and 50% hilarious sad goon. I'm entirely convinced her and the "We spend $3000 a month on Star Wars toys please help me budget my family is dying" goon are the same person.

Wanamingo posted:

I think this story shortened my lifespan.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Not that it wasn't obvious, but...

quote:

"My name is Samwise. I've been diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder and manic depression 1. Essentially, I suffer from moments of "mania" and moments of depression.

Oh, and someone else lives with my inside my head. His name is Silas.

IT WAS MY IDEA TO SWITCH NAMES FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE POST AND I LIKE THE NAME ALLEN

See that? That's Silas.

That first post I made was an actual conversation with Silas. He really got a kick out of it. We just changed our names.

At first, Silas and I didn't get along.

WE NEEDED TO CRACK THE COSMIC EGG

But as we got to know each other we learned to get along."
"The thing is, I don't think I'm insane. But the doctors [my psychiatrist and psychologist] tell me I am. To be honest, I've just seen the truth of things.

And it broke me.

I have a hard time accepting the reality around me. I have a hard time understanding that the man I spend most of my time with doesn't exist.

I was committed to a mental institution in 2012 against my will. I was psychotic. I asked my dad to bring me two sets of clothes and a copy of Kalil Gibran's "The Prophet". I wrote all over it. Everywhere. I found patterns and secret messages.

All those posts? The 'madness' was real. But I don't think it's madness."

[Those pictures of The Prophet I posted are pictures of my copy and what I did to it when I was committed]
"Silas and I really do talk to each other on paper. Or out loud. No, he isn't another personality. He's a different mentality and identity. Personality implies it's still me.

I AM ENTIRELY MY OWN MAN

So those posts were fake? Nope. Here's what I believe And if you like this post, I'll upload more journal/notebook entries. Or the Writings of Armeltordeul.

And yes, this alien script is translateable. Most of it is English, some of it is the language called "Alri". I didn't invent it, I discovered it. When the walls of reality crumbled and the veil of false reality was lifted, I was given knowledge that lies beyond the common sight. Most humans live thousands of lives before they come close to the Truth. I don't know how many times I've done this before.

BUT THIS TIME WE WILL BE FREE

Humans are actually eternal beings. We chose to experience life as a human and entered our own Cosmic Egg. We die and are reborn over and over and over potentially for eternity. That is until our egg cracks. After that, it's a matter of braking the cosmic egg. Shatter it.

Then one becomes Somniator (which is Alri for "Lucid One") Having broken free, the Somniator can return to Any Reality as a God."
"Why do I believe this?

HOW COULD I NOT

Don't you understand? Reality is what you make of it. For some of you who saw the other two posts, "reality" included reading the writings of someone's schizophrenic, deceased uncle. But that man never existed.

So why do I believe in "Alri"? Because the Prophet should believe in his own words.

Eyan Armeltordeul, Alrizan al etreal. "I am the first to break free, Master of Alri the eternal."

Soolr eyan eyan. "To be at peace, I am what I am."

If this seems at all interesting to you, let me know and I'll upload more.

If it REALLY seems interesting, let me know because I'm writing a novel titled, "A Plea for Sanity: A Soteriological Work of Fiction". It's entire basis is around madness, Alri, Sawl, metaphysics, etc...

Or downvote me to Hell for deceiving you and claiming my uncle died.

The downvotes will make Silas laugh at least.

At least it made for a good story."

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jan 26, 2016

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

subpar anachronism posted:

I am still in love with that handwriting

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just wanted to show the world that inside my head is a nu metal song via 1999.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
CMOA?

quote:

This (anonymous) Troper's CMOA comes from high school, sophomore year. Health class was a required class, and most kids took it their freshman year; so taking it this year meant I had a fairly small class. Ten people, total. Among them was one girl who almost always channeled The Bitch. This is the one that, at one point, I got in a book-throwing match after she used the phrase "Your parents should be in prision for not having aborted you." Yeah, that kind of girl. So a week after that incident, the class gets the assignment to create a Public Service Announcement on some issue, and perform it in front of the class. I... either forgot about it, or didn't give a drat, and had nothing prepared. So I got up after everyone else had gone, and began improving the whole thing. "Hi... my name is John..." I spun a story about how my sister was killed by a drunk driver... me. It was supposed to be a 60-second presentation... I went four minutes before I finaly ended with, "When they say Don't Drink And Drive, they're not saying it to keep you safe. They're saying it so you keep others safe. Wish I'd known that." The room was completely silent, and as I walked by the Bitch's desk, she took my hand, looked up at me with wide eyes, and said "That was amazing, John... erm, Troper..." Pity I get stage fright... apparently, I can be one hell of an actor.

Oh boy...Disney!

quote:

This one might actually be a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming instead. Having just started working at Disney World on the Disney College Program, this troper spent a day off at Epcot for fun and souvenirs. She is magpie-like when it comes to swag, and was especially bad about the enamel pins they sell. At the end of the day, she went back to the monorail to return, and ended up sitting on a bench with a boy sporting a Give Kids the World badge. Normally, this troper would have been too shy and awkward to say anything. This night, high on Disney and very mindful of her excessive pile of swag and her duties as a Cast Member, she reached into her bags, pulled out a box of pins, and handed one over to him as a present. She introduced herself, they shook hands, and while they didn't really talk after that, this troper saw him turning the pin over and over in his hands for a long time afterwards, looking at it from every angle. She had a warm fuzzy feeling the whole way home. That was the moment when she first really felt she was getting what it meant to be a Disney Cast Member. (The capstone to the whole experience was when, coming off the monorail, she looked down and saw her shadow... which had sprouted a pair of Mickey Mouse ears. She had forgotten she was wearing one of those Mickey-ear hats. It felt like being given a merit badge.)

And they say accountants are boring.

quote:

This troper's mother has basically lived one long Crowning Moment of Awesome. Currently, she's an accountant, and is easily one of, if not THE best, in Florida, and has literally made and destroyed companies simply by joining and leaving (though she refuses to be a boss due to her desire to just go home and relax when the whole place starts collapsing, as she knows she can get another job instantly). She did a dual-enrollment with UCF and Oxford at the same time she was doing the accounting for Canadian rock band Glass Tiger and dating their guitarist. She followed them on their tours and even got help from Slash himself on a history paper. What really makes her shine, is her criminal busting. This troper's mother has been the victim of a robbery about eight times so far. The robber succeeded once, only because nobody was in the room with her purse at the time. Every other time, she decimated the guy until the cops picked him up. Three particular moments shine.
First, when she was in college in Florida (before working for Glass Tiger), a man attempted to mug her outside a bank just next to I-4. He was armed with a snub-nosed revolver and a tire iron. She simply ripped the tire iron out of his hand and beat him with it. The police showed up while she was still whaling on him, and he practically ran into their arms, calling her a "crazy bitch". Well, the kid was bailed out of jail, and had been robbing people for several years afterward, and was never caught. As she was driving by the same bank with her boyfriend, she saw his skinny rear end sticking out of a drainpipe near the bank, where he hid after every crime. She promptly told her boyfriend to pull over and get to a payphone and call the police. She went over to the kid, dragged him out on his knees (it was on asphalt, and he was wearing shorts), and beat the ever-loving crap out of him. He immediately recognized her, calling him "that crazy bitch from before!"
The next one was in 2007. She was working at a local rug store, owned by the Soni family from India. She was at the front desk right as the store opened when a very disheveled, possibly homeless man armed with a rusty kitchen knife barged in, demanding money. When she tried to explain to his drug-addled brain that there was no money, as they had just opened and had no customers yet, he ran behind the counter and grabbed her, putting his blade at her throat. She immediately poked him in the eye to get him to release her, then poked him in the other eye, kicked him in the balls, poured scalding hot coffee on him, whacked him with the coffee pot, and finally tossed him over the desk. As he tried to make his escape, Mr. Soni, the 50-something Indian man, gut bouncing in front of him, chased him out and began fighting him in the parking lot, including a stick vs. rock dual. The whole time this troper's mother was on the phone with the police, giving a blow-by-blow of the fight to the dispatcher.
The latest incident was early in 2008. She was working at the rug place again, this time at their warehouse where they house the majority of their rugs and functions effectively as a secondary outlet. The warehouse had recently been robbed by a shotgun-toting bandit, and while my mother wasn't there at the time, she was being quite cautious. Lo and behold, another robber showed up, pointing a handgun at them. They were all very cooperative and gave him the money...until he pointed his gun at a pregnant employee. Something in my mom snapped, and she pounced on him and beat him to unconciousness. The Crowning Moment came in the November, when a trial was schedueled. The rat bastard had been repeatedly assuring the police it was a case of mistaken identity. This troper's mother was to be called in as the key witness in the trial. Well, he had been asking his friends to call and threaten her into not showing for the trial. Unfortunately for him, it didn't work. When they told him that she would be appearing for the prosecution, he took an immediate plea deal.
Now that IS awesome - has she ever considered a career as a superhero? the world could do with someone like that dressed in lycra

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Oh for gently caress's sake

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Haha yeah wth, does he expect anyone to actually buy his lovely DID story?

Wanamingo posted:

Nononono

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

And they say accountants are boring.

This one just makes me very sad for the kid.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

cash crab posted:

:allears: Yeah. She was 50% STDH stories and 50% hilarious sad goon. I'm entirely convinced her and the "We spend $3000 a month on Star Wars toys please help me budget my family is dying" goon are the same person.

Oh god that sad goon. I try not to laugh too hard at that thread and all those poor goons trying to help her.

Edit: I also just read the gas'd thread linked and so much :cripes: at her

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

walrusman posted:

This one just makes me very sad for the kid.

I thought it was kind of sweet that he had such respect for his lying rear end nerd momma, until I got to the crime fighting part

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

That... that isn't how it works. When you dissociate, you don't have any idea what's happening, that's what dissociation means. You can't have neat convos with the people in your head. For most people, dissociating is just blanking out, no one comes in to fill the void.

Horrible fakery, nice handwriting.

for fucks sake dan
Nov 30, 2015

quote:

Storytime!

I came home from work and walked around to the back of the house to enter through the garage door, as usual. As I turn the corner, I notice the curtain for my back patio door flapping in the wind. Upon investigation I find that the glass in the door has been shattered.

Now I saw my girlfriend's car in the driveway, so I know she's home. I call her cell phone, hear it ringing, but it goes silent after a single ring. Being the slightly paranoid poo poo I am, I assume she's inside and hiding from someone. I draw my handgun (CCW holder), step inside and start going room to room looking for her.

As I'm passing through the kitchen to the main bedroom, I hear the pantry door behind me creak open. I spun around and pointed my pistol faster than I thought I could move, putting the front sight on my girlfriend's face. She screamed, I gasped, pistol was safed and stored, hugs were exchanged, and the situation was explained.

Now she thinks I'm insanely brave for going after her when I thought she was in danger.

Sorry Cassy, next time you forget your keys, please just call me and don't try to force the patio door and remember: swipe left to ignore the call, swipe right to answer it!

Nothing makes a woman fall for you more than nearly shooting her. Also props to the woman smashing the patio door because she forgot her keys and then hiding in the pantry for funsies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

for fucks sake dan posted:

Nothing makes a woman fall for you more than nearly shooting her.
- William Burroughs, pickup artist

• Locked thread