Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Whoa, cool off. That line wasn't an insult. I'm as groggy as anyone and consider myself as tryhard as anyone when it comes to strategy games. Yikes, man. Wasn't trying to offend, but you're being awfully sensitive, there.

I don't know what community we're talking about where tryhard isn't a pejorative, but if that's what you mean it's cool.

I'm not trying to argue for pilot abilities and upgrade cards in demos, but even just having asteroids and actions at least gives the game some variety. In the in-book demo scenario you're rolling a bunch of dice results that do nothing and there's nowhere to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would love to live in a world where none of my three dice attacks missed to make gunner useless. If you're attacked first, you use Dengar's ability and don't use gunner. Then game a shot in normal order and use gunner if you miss.

If you're shooting first, don't use gunner, then use it when you get shot at. If someone had you in arc and takes a shot at someone else because you have a gunnered up shot waiting, then you're still getting utility out of it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Strobe posted:

I would love to live in a world where none of my three dice attacks missed to make gunner useless. If you're attacked first, you use Dengar's ability and don't use gunner. Then game a shot in normal order and use gunner if you miss.

If you're shooting first, don't use gunner, then use it when you get shot at. If someone had you in arc and takes a shot at someone else because you have a gunnered up shot waiting, then you're still getting utility out of it.

Gunner is bad on Dengar because it is five points for situational use, because his shoot-back pilot ability is itself situational. If you trade away PTL, K4, Unhinged, and Engine Upgrade to get a jury-rigged double-tap that you can reroll once, I think you have made your 9EHP ship dramatically worse. And it's still 51 points.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"I got your word, right? Not a scratch."

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

guts and bolts posted:

Gunner is bad on Dengar because it is five points for situational use, because his shoot-back pilot ability is itself situational. If you trade away PTL, K4, Unhinged, and Engine Upgrade to get a jury-rigged double-tap that you can reroll once, I think you have made your 9EHP ship dramatically worse. And it's still 51 points.

Maybe the boba or gonk crew could change how he does things to make him more efficient. Hopefully.
If not unhinged what other scum astromech would he use?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Otisburg posted:

"I got your word, right? Not a scratch."

It took me a while to understand why you were posting a picture of your stock Falcon before I noticed TFA radar dish. Is it Mel?

edit: Oh wait, did you also give it a wash?

vvvvvvv double edit: that's sick, looks real good

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

It took me a while to understand why you were posting a picture of your stock Falcon before I noticed TFA radar dish. Is it Mel?

edit: Oh wait, did you also give it a wash?

Nah, just the dish. Yeah, picked up a couple off of Shapeways. Pops right in, pretty easy mod.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hencoe posted:

Maybe the boba or gonk crew could change how he does things to make him more efficient. Hopefully.
If not unhinged what other scum astromech would he use?

R4 agromech isn't bad for him, what with the double attacking, though Unhinged and K4 is the very obvious combo.

Unless Gonk, Overclocked Astromech and Boba are totes amazeballs, my Dengar probably looks like this

Dengar (33)
Push the Limit (3)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Glitterstim (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Punishing One (12)

Total: 58

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

And I think it will be pretty solid. It's no fat han, maybe, but it'll shoot quicker.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

guts and bolts posted:

I'll let you know if I find a Most Wanted to buy to give me K4 and Unhinged. In the meantime, I'm buying the Punishing One to get the Guidance Chips, and I feel like playing Scum with the only three Scum ships I (will) own.

I can still get the double tap, it's just not as black and white as "point ship at target, double tap." I know that things that are slightly difficult to do are considered sub-par in X-wing, but I already fly XXX list, which are basically the epitome of "everyone says this ship is bad".

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I'll let you know if I find a Most Wanted to buy to give me K4 and Unhinged. In the meantime, I'm buying the Punishing One to get the Guidance Chips, and I feel like playing Scum with the only three Scum ships I (will) own.

I can still get the double tap, it's just not as black and white as "point ship at target, double tap." I know that things that are slightly difficult to do are considered sub-par in X-wing, but I already fly XXX list, which are basically the epitome of "everyone says this ship is bad".

There's really not much "slightly difficult" about gunner- it's a straight up attack buff, very good against hard-to-hit targets, particularly stacked with effects that modify multiple attacks like predator. It's not really a "double tap" the way BTL is.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dengar and Gunner interact in a way that's slightly less simple than that, because if he uses it on one attack he can't make his second attack at all. That's what guts and bolts is talking about with the "dramatically worse" comment, and I think it's silly to declare it worse offhand.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Strobe posted:

Dengar and Gunner interact in a way that's slightly less simple than that, because if he uses it on one attack he can't make his second attack at all. That's what guts and bolts is talking about with the "dramatically worse" comment, and I think it's silly to declare it worse offhand.

You don't get 5 points of versatility out of Gunner with Dengar like you would pretty much every other ship that can take it (ships that can't make multiple primary weapon attacks) so I think that yes, it's worse offhand in that specific instance.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

Honestly though if you're gonna roll that way i'd go and use Tel Travura with title, hull, VI, and gunner.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You get arguably more versatility at the cost of reliability. I get to choose which target I take multiple rools at, but risk losing my other attack if I take the shot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

You get arguably more versatility at the cost of reliability. I get to choose which target I take multiple rools at, but risk losing my other attack if I take the shot.

I think the thing is, it's an expensive way to modify an attack on a one-action ship.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

Honestly though if you're gonna roll that way i'd go and use Tel Travura with title, hull, VI, and gunner.

I don't actually own VI, either. :v:

My only big ship to date is the Shuttle.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Panzeh posted:

Using the PS7 who dies twice is going to be very solid, but not being PS9 with PTL and Engine Upgrade (because you'd be stupid not to take Hull Upgrade on it) is going to mean it has a very different playstyle to Dengar.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I don't actually own VI, either. :v:

My only big ship to date is the Shuttle.

Ouch!

thespaceinvader posted:

Using the PS7 who dies twice is going to be very solid, but not being PS9 with PTL and Engine Upgrade (because you'd be stupid not to take Hull Upgrade on it) is going to mean it has a very different playstyle to Dengar.

No doubt, but if I were trying a lean, stress-resistant jumpy, I would consider Tel.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What are some solid sites that talk about strategy and tactics of x-wing minis? I'm tossing my friend into the deep end with a tournament after just a couple hours of introduction to the game. I don't think I've looked up anything strat/tactics online wise since I've only ever talked to my nova friends about that stuff lol.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Chill la Chill posted:

What are some solid sites that talk about strategy and tactics of x-wing minis? I'm tossing my friend into the deep end with a tournament after just a couple hours of introduction to the game. I don't think I've looked up anything strat/tactics online wise since I've only ever talked to my nova friends about that stuff lol.

http://xwingtactics.tumblr.com/ is decent.

These two articles are also pretty good, if a little dated. Ship and Asteroid placement are super important.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/3/20/turn-zero/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/4/17/mastering-ship-placement/

Visualizing movement
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The tone is a bit holier than thou, but the general ideas here are sound

https://tm42xwing.wordpress.com/2016/01/23/listbuilding-for-beginners/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Don't you literally know Paul Heaver? Just have him go over some stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

Don't you literally know Paul Heaver? Just have him go over some stuff.

I'm at uni. Back home I just chat with Paul and Ira and Ron and Honter and Derek and some other guys whose names you can see in top 16/32 of the last two worlds tournaments.

E: oh yeah and Richard. He's a bit unsavory.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 26, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Only myself and three others turned out for league night due to a pretty bad snow storm. Ended up racking up against the same dude's Brobots twice. Ran my XXB list with the Keyan Opportunist HLC fuckery, then a triple interceptor ace list.

Tabled him both times, on account of being not only more intelligent, but also more handsome and just a morally, mentally, physically, and ecumenically better person. :v:

Also I really need to watch my elbows, my fat loving fingers and flailing arms knocked over/out of position a thing or two, necessitating a couple drops I felt bad about taking. I wasn't trying to game them, but when you're playing arc dodgers it feels like cheating to have to guesstimate where something was and then, well look at that, he's in perfect position!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Do you guys have any good examples of Imperial repaints? I'm itching to paint something but it seems like there's a lot less flexibility in what you can logically paint compared to 40k or even FoW.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

Do you guys have any good examples of Imperial repaints? I'm itching to paint something but it seems like there's a lot less flexibility in what you can logically paint compared to 40k or even FoW.

This is a cool group for inspiration:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1536099843345877/

If you like the TIE/fo scheme, it looks really slick on pretty much every older TIE variant, IMO, especially with a splash of red like the /sf.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Anything that isn't a closed Facebook group?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AndyElusive posted:

Anything that isn't a closed Facebook group?

Aaron accepts everybosy. It's almost up to 5k members in which case he's gonna do another giveaway. Still can't believe how big that group's gotten. It was only started last march as I recall. When I joined there were maybe only 1-200 people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, don't be put off by the "closed" group thing, dude. That's pretty much how every Facebook group operates, so there can be some basic level of moderation against abuse or spam accounts. You don't have to do a gang initiation or whatever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg is lying on the last part. You have to show your wang to the elder members first. :evilbuddy:

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Played with some x7 defenders today with and without stealth device. Coming from a guy who loves defenders, they might be too much. I was playing 35 Fel with two 31 deltas with stealth device.

Here's the current "hyped" list

Colonel Vessery (35)
Ruthlessness (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 100

Not sold on ruthlessness, but the 28 point deltas shrug off around 3 damage a turn minimum without stealth device and get to block at ps1. With stealth device my deltas at 31 were evading both shots from predator/gunner han. It's pretty silly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'd love* for Defenders to be a whole thing, but on paper it still feels pretty steeply priced. Paying Poe Dameron prices for a guy with the same HP and PWV, only PS1 with no pilot ability is rough. Once Veterans drops I'll put them on the table and take the Pepsi challenge for sure, though.

*(or at least my inner 14-year-old who loved having his Magic Sith Tattoo inked pilot fly the ridiculous ubership on Vader's wing would love)

Next League night I think I'll try a RAC+Whisper.

How do you guys feel about :
Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Taught the game yesterday, having a full rules game with 1 X-Wing and 2 TIE and then moving on to an 80 points game with few skills or upgrades cards worked pretty well. My friend has played his fair share of boardgames, so that helped.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Floppychop posted:

My favorite build for the YV-666 is still the simplest.

Trandoshan Slaver
-Bossk
-Gunner
-Tactician

Cheap, but still effective.

Latts with Weapons Engineer and K4 gets honorable mention.

That's what I'm using, it's incredibly effective for 38 points. I've had a couple of games with Latts Razzi now so I'm going to be trying

Latts Razzi (41)
YV-666 (33), Bossk (2), K4 Security Droid (3), Weapons Engineer (3)

You don't get the double shot but you're more of a support ship for people with higher PS than you, you get the locks when you move, spend them on your high PS guys, then have a shot yourself, if you miss then Bossk gets you more locks you can use for your lower PS guys.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Otisburg posted:

Veteran Instincts (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Love that list. Took it to last years regionals only I had FCS on whisper and no ysanne.

Killing a Soontir or whisper before they can fire a single shot is amazing and completely demoralizing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Otisburg posted:

I'd love* for Defenders to be a whole thing, but on paper it still feels pretty steeply priced. Paying Poe Dameron prices for a guy with the same HP and PWV, only PS1 with no pilot ability is rough. Once Veterans drops I'll put them on the table and take the Pepsi challenge for sure, though.

*(or at least my inner 14-year-old who loved having his Magic Sith Tattoo inked pilot fly the ridiculous ubership on Vader's wing would love)

Veteran Instincts (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)

I'm thinking about switching to this list, if only because I can turn chunks of Decimator into critical damage when I get angry at someone's green dice (which I inevitably do).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I honestly think Kylo Ren fits the theme of Vader's power better than Vader does.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, Vader would fit Moff Jerjerrod better almost, what with his propensity to kill people who screw up. :v:

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Otisburg posted:

Only myself and three others turned out for league night due to a pretty bad snow storm. Ended up racking up against the same dude's Brobots twice. Ran my XXB list with the Keyan Opportunist HLC fuckery, then a triple interceptor ace list.

Tabled him both times, on account of being not only more intelligent, but also more handsome and just a morally, mentally, physically, and ecumenically better person. :v:

What was your triple interceptor list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Prophecy120 posted:

What was your triple interceptor list?

Otisburg was running Soontir with PtL, Phennir with VI, and Carnor with Intimidation, all with Title, Stealth, and Autothrusters.

It's me, the lesser human being who forgot how to fly Brobots last night.

• Locked thread