Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Figured screw it and bought a Vulture before I had enough to outfit it like I wanted. Hoooly poo poo this thing is so much better than my Courier in RESes.

Still torn between fixed and gimballed pulses, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The Locator posted:

So currently I'm in a Vulture which is fully fit, and have 27 million credits in the bank. The next 'upgrade' on the combat path appears to be a Federal Assault Ship, which would cost nearly 70 million to buy and fit.

Please ignore whoever told you that because they are stupid. This is basically random clicking but you get the idea. 27M plus the trade on your Vulture will be plenty to get started. A-class thrusters are the big ticket upgrade to save for on the FAS, as they make it handle basically like a Vulture, but it's perfectly serviceable before that.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Figured screw it and bought a Vulture before I had enough to outfit it like I wanted. Hoooly poo poo this thing is so much better than my Courier in RESes.

You've got the right idea. A Vulture with 500,000 CR of basic outfitting is a much better murder machine than the stuff people are usually coming from (Viper, Eagle, etc.).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shine posted:

Please ignore whoever told you that because they are stupid. This is basically random clicking but you get the idea. 27M plus the trade on your Vulture will be plenty to get started. A-class thrusters are the big ticket upgrade to save for on the FAS, as they make it handle basically like a Vulture, but it's perfectly serviceable before that.

Nobody told me that, I just built one out in Coriolis and looked at the price tag. :) Thanks though. Will have to look into trying to rank up Fed I suppose.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I wasted 4 hours of my Sunday in Tun (what terrible game-play, but holy crap that would have been a stupid grind if you had to fly that many missions to level), but I now own a shiny new Federal Assault Ship. Took it out for one fairly short RES run after getting it back to Xihe (oh god that short jump range is painful to travel with).

Kind of mixed on it. The shields go down like hot butter compared to the Vulture, but maybe that was just the ships I was fighting (seemed to get nothing but Federal Dropship's, which I've rarely seen before).

Current cheap starter fit - http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/06D6B5D5D6A4B4C1e1e272700000404B22d2b292724.AwRj4yqA.Aw18cQ==?bn=FAS%20Current

This layout has zero power problems, and adds a pair of medium multi-cannons to the Vultures firepower which worked just fine. Not sure I care for the top/bottom layout for the large hardpoints, and the medium's can't truck up at all. I did run into one FDL, and after I got his shields down, he just melted. Looks like I can go with a pair of beams in the large hardpoints once I can afford to upgrade the power plant, which will be nice. Power was the big problem with the Vulture, really couldn't play with any other weapons but the pulses.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Report from several hours of mission grinding in cubeo: it does work, but it takes upwards of 30 minutes of board scumming to get about 60 missions to the base. With half of those being non empire it amounts to about 50 rank missions per hour. Not much when you get to the higher ranks. By way of comparison, an hour in Tamar was about 80 donation missions. So really it's just not terribly fast to grind empire rank no matter what you do. Ground attack missions are fun at least, so I will stick with it for a while. I'm beginning to wonder if having a mission in your transactions makes it less likely to appear on the bb- if so there is probably a sweet spot where you should complete and turn in rather than summing more missions. Hard to say.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Locator posted:

So I wasted 4 hours of my Sunday in Tun (what terrible game-play, but holy crap that would have been a stupid grind if you had to fly that many missions to level), but I now own a shiny new Federal Assault Ship. Took it out for one fairly short RES run after getting it back to Xihe (oh god that short jump range is painful to travel with).

Kind of mixed on it. The shields go down like hot butter compared to the Vulture, but maybe that was just the ships I was fighting (seemed to get nothing but Federal Dropship's, which I've rarely seen before).

Current cheap starter fit - http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/06D6B5D5D6A4B4C1e1e272700000404B22d2b292724.AwRj4yqA.Aw18cQ==?bn=FAS%20Current

This layout has zero power problems, and adds a pair of medium multi-cannons to the Vultures firepower which worked just fine. Not sure I care for the top/bottom layout for the large hardpoints, and the medium's can't truck up at all. I did run into one FDL, and after I got his shields down, he just melted. Looks like I can go with a pair of beams in the large hardpoints once I can afford to upgrade the power plant, which will be nice. Power was the big problem with the Vulture, really couldn't play with any other weapons but the pulses.

It's a bit more expensive, but the "hot poo poo" build for the FAS is to frag it out. I do a large beam on top and three frags on the bottom. You can also do two medium beams and two large frags. It's a wonderful build now that frags have 90 ammo instead of 30.

As for the shields, they will go down frequently and you should just learn to be okay with that. The FAS has about 2/5 the shield strength of the Vulture, but has hella armor, and with a few hull reinforcements you'll be able to tank a ton of damage before you get in trouble. Just accept that your shields will go down and don't treat that as a panic moment the way you would with some other ships.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Still torn between fixed and gimballed pulses, though.

Gimbaled 100%. With two gimbaled pulse you can hang out in a res pretty much forever sniping power plants. It's kind of a boring load out though, i just traded my pulses for a beam and shotgun and its a lot more fun (and even after the gun runs out of ammo the beam can still melt stuff reasonably quickly on its own).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shine posted:

It's a bit more expensive, but the "hot poo poo" build for the FAS is to frag it out. I do a large beam on top and three frags on the bottom. You can also do two medium beams and two large frags. It's a wonderful build now that frags have 90 ammo instead of 30.

As for the shields, they will go down frequently and you should just learn to be okay with that. The FAS has about 2/5 the shield strength of the Vulture, but has hella armor, and with a few hull reinforcements you'll be able to tank a ton of damage before you get in trouble. Just accept that your shields will go down and don't treat that as a panic moment the way you would with some other ships.

Cool, thanks. I need to build the bank account back up again, the rebuy/insurance on this is at 1.4m so I only have 3 re-buys at the moment. Would like to build up some more margin before I increase it even more!

I forgot to mention, but during one of my rank-up missions I managed to spread my Asp Explorer I was using across the inside of the Tun space station. Oops, missed that dumb slot by just a few feet at full boost, and the smallish (3A?) shields I had on it for minor collision abatement didn't do the trick. There went 750k credits.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I'm not really a fighter, more of a trader. but what is there for a pretty sturdy ship that you won't die over and over and you have a bit of a chance to kill a few when you can't even kill the ones on the tutorials

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

I'm not really a fighter, more of a trader. but what is there for a pretty sturdy ship that you won't die over and over and you have a bit of a chance to kill a few when you can't even kill the ones on the tutorials

Python is the ultimate Jack of All Trades ship in the game (since larger multi-roles, like the Clipper, can't land at outposts). It's expensive though, so for smaller ships you have the Cobra III and IV, the former being better for combat and the latter being better for trading. The Imperial Clipper is a very combat-capable multi-role ship, but it's a Large hull and therefore can't land on outposts.

There's also the Asp Explorer, but I hate flying it with all my heart so I don't recommend it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Humboldt Squid posted:

Gimbaled 100%. With two gimbaled pulse you can hang out in a res pretty much forever sniping power plants. It's kind of a boring load out though, i just traded my pulses for a beam and shotgun and its a lot more fun (and even after the gun runs out of ammo the beam can still melt stuff reasonably quickly on its own).
I've been using beam and cannon and quite enjoying it, but considering I'm always close in with the cannon, I should consider the frag.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The cobra mk IV is kind of funny really because as a trading vessel its actually really good but most people think its supposed to be a direct analogue to the mk III and dismiss it.

Of course gently caress trading so you should dismiss it, unless that's your thing.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Sarsapariller posted:

Doesn't seem fixed at all, there right now and just loading up on missions. I can't believe they let one generator kill fill 100+ missions at the same time.

It may vary with time of day. If there are less people playing(in the area) then you're not as likely to get thrown into a new instance and get a fresh BB.

When I first did it, it was in the evening and I got a lot of the missions in a short period of time.
Same thing happened the next evening.

When I went back a few days later in the morning, that's when I hardly saw any of them.
Same thing happened this morning. I got about a dozen of them at best and a good number were for less than 100K.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The Cobra Mk. IV is a great mining ship. You can load up quite a bit of minerals and then offload it somewhere, and you can even get a decent build on it for 2 mil credits to start being a space miner. A great way to get started on mining, since it can hold limpets without many issues and you won't compromise too much of your cargo for them.
But it's slow. Really, really slow. A rank thrusters are a waste of money for the Mk. IV. Stick with D rank. You're not going to be able to do much combat in it.

Seriously, don't A rank the Cobra Mk. IV. A Sidewinder is more useful A-ranked.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Seriously, don't A rank the Cobra Mk. IV. A Sidewinder is more useful A-ranked.

Entirely subjective. While the Mk4 is not at all an improvement over the Mk3 that doesn't make it a completely useless ship.

I still blame :frontear: for the Mk4's stats under the claim that they're trying to appease the entire player base rather than release an exclusive ship that performs better than what everyone else has access to in that class of ships.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only time they commented on its stats they said something along the lines of "it fits the role we designed it to fill" which is kind of bullshit because they wouldn't expand on what that actually means or how it's supposed to be any better than the Mk III.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

The only time they commented on its stats they said something along the lines of "it fits the role we designed it to fill" which is kind of bullshit because they wouldn't expand on what that actually means or how it's supposed to be any better than the Mk III.

Which only serves to bolster my belief that they nerfed the gently caress out of it pre-release in order to keep a fight from breaking out in the player base between players who pre-ordered and got access to the Mk4 and those who didn't want to/couldn't pre-order and lost out on it.

Generally, when you release the next version/generation of a vehicle, you don't make it worse than it's predecessor because you want it to beat out it's predecessor in sales. Generally.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can some one explains shield modules to me like I am a tiny, mentally-disabled infant?

I think I'm going to use this Vulture loadout, but don't know if I should be going Bi-Weave vs. regular shields, or Boosters vs. SCBs (or some combination of them).

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

Can some one explains shield modules to me like I am a tiny, mentally-disabled infant?

I think I'm going to use this Vulture loadout, but don't know if I should be going Bi-Weave vs. regular shields, or Boosters vs. SCBs (or some combination of them).

Someone will likely do it better than me but here goes:

1: Normal shields have a higher health pool than bi-weave shields but a longer re-charge time. If you are going to use an SCB it's best to use them with a normal shield as the larger health pool will give your SCB more time to charge and fire. If the shield is brought completely down prior to the SCB being able to fire it's charge the charge is still spent but the effect is null due to their being no shield to actively recharge.

2: Bi-weave shields have less health than normal shields but recharge nearly twice as fast. This way you're able to have your shields knocked out but they'll be back up again far quicker than if you were using normal or Prismatic shields. SCBs with Bi-weaves are a gamble due to their lower HP numbers.

3: SCBs recharge your shield at the cost of high heat and a small time delay. The larger the SCB the larger the amount of power it can push into your shields, the larger the amount of heat it will generate. Common practice is to include at least one Heat Sync Launcher onto an SCB build to mitigate heat buildup.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Why do people think the Cobra Mk. 4 was a preorder only bonus? It's not. The black paintjobs were.

The Cobra Mk. 4 is for people who purchase Elite: Dangerous and also purchase Horizons.
I have flown the Cobra Mk. 4. It's slow. It's a decent trading ship or a good miner. I would not use it as a smuggling ship, stick to the Mk. 3 if you want to smuggle. It just doesn't have the speed necessary to evade the cops. But it does have jump range.

My Cobra looks like this:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iv/04C4D4A3D3A3D4C1b1b1i2l2l00000303B303C0C01lP4.Iw18SQ==.Aw18SQ==?bn=

The weapons I put for a little bit of security. Just in case. Shields are also for security, just in case. Also I am terrible at landing and take damage almost every time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

IAmTheRad posted:

Why do people think the Cobra Mk. 4 was a preorder only bonus? It's not. The black paintjobs were.

The Cobra Mk. 4 is for people who purchase Elite: Dangerous and also purchase Horizons.
I have flown the Cobra Mk. 4. It's slow. It's a decent trading ship or a good miner. I would not use it as a smuggling ship, stick to the Mk. 3 if you want to smuggle. It just doesn't have the speed necessary to evade the cops. But it does have jump range.

My Cobra looks like this:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iv/04C4D4A3D3A3D4C1b1b1i2l2l00000303B303C0C01lP4.Iw18SQ==.Aw18SQ==?bn=

The weapons I put for a little bit of security. Just in case. Shields are also for security, just in case. Also I am terrible at landing and take damage almost every time.

Don't hurt yourself.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I've had the game for just over a week now, at the moment I'm in Ch'i Lin, helping to kick out the Emperor's Dawn. Had a hairy time last night when two Vultures ganged up on my little Viper in a Conflict Zone and got me down to 30% hull before I was able to FSD out.
I'm yet to play online, I will soon though. I've almost got enough to buy a Diamondback Explorer fully kitted out for exploration, by the time I finish in Ch'i Lin, I maybe able to get the Asp Explorer.

I'm really looking forward to travelling into the big black, I know it isn't financially rewarding but I think I'll enjoy mapping random ice chunks around Red dwarfs.

One question. Do player discovered systems show up in solo? I scrolled to about 300 LY away from my current location and all the stars just have sector names.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
You have to go into the system view to see the "Discovered by -" tag.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Sad King Billy posted:

I've had the game for just over a week now, at the moment I'm in Ch'i Lin, helping to kick out the Emperor's Dawn. Had a hairy time last night when two Vultures ganged up on my little Viper in a Conflict Zone and got me down to 30% hull before I was able to FSD out.
I'm yet to play online, I will soon though. I've almost got enough to buy a Diamondback Explorer fully kitted out for exploration, by the time I finish in Ch'i Lin, I maybe able to get the Asp Explorer.

I'm really looking forward to travelling into the big black, I know it isn't financially rewarding but I think I'll enjoy mapping random ice chunks around Red dwarfs.

One question. Do player discovered systems show up in solo? I scrolled to about 300 LY away from my current location and all the stars just have sector names.

You actually are playing online. The game has no "offline" mode. Solo just means you won't encounter other commanders. It's still rare to run into other players even in Open unless you go to popular locations.
If you're worried about getting ganked, you can join the 'Mobius' private group. It's the unofficial official PvE player group.
Every single system shows up in multiple game modes. It could be they don't have names and just sector numbers because nobody resides there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So how viable is playing with a 360 controller? While I do own a HOTAS (an old Saitek X52 from like ten years ago), it takes up way too much space on my desk. And for whatever reason the idea of sitting on the couch with a 360 controller and my Bluetooth keyboard and doing some space truckin' appeals to me in some sci-fi Euro Truck Simulator 2 kinda way.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Drone posted:

So how viable is playing with a 360 controller? While I do own a HOTAS (an old Saitek X52 from like ten years ago), it takes up way too much space on my desk. And for whatever reason the idea of sitting on the couch with a 360 controller and my Bluetooth keyboard and doing some space truckin' appeals to me in some sci-fi Euro Truck Simulator 2 kinda way.

Perfectly viable. I played nearly a year with a 360 controller. Only went to a HOTAS myself because I hate having money.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Natsuumi posted:

Perfectly viable. I played nearly a year with a 360 controller. Only went to a HOTAS myself because I hate having money.

Same. I played using a 360 controller and wireless keyboard doing the couch thing. Then I got an X52 pro for christmas and have been really enjoying the way flying "feels" with it. You'll be just fine with a controller once you've got a decent bind system set up

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
The Default Context controls are great, as you hold down the face buttons to get alternate functions for the other buttons. I don't even use the keyboard/mouse for anything besides map navigation.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is there a way to save multiple control layouts? I would like to try a controller for rovering around on the surface, but won't if it means losing my hotas layout for flying..

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Your controls are stored in %localappdata%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings. You can just back that up before loving with stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there a good binding setup for the 360 controller out there or are the default ones just fine?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The biggest thing you're going to have to work with is memorizing the d-pad face button combos to do stuff

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya the default 360 setup is a good start but youre going to have to have to go though the settings and tweak it to your needs. I personally set it so each of the face buttons corresponded to a "group" of commands

no modifier = power distribution
A = weapon related stuff (deployment, switching weapon groups, chaff/heatsync/boosters etc)
Y = targeting related stuff (next target, front target, highest threat target, next/prev subsystems etc)
X = UI commands (left/right panel, next nav target, radar zoom, other misc stuff)
B = ship systems (FSD, landing gear, cargo scoop, FA off/on, silent running)

I also switched the throttle up/down (defaults to triggers) with the fire weapon systems (defaults to bumpers) cus "RT = go faster" in my mind. also dont forget you can bind FACEBUTTON + LB/RB for stuff

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
First post ITT, wanted to thank the OP for the great info. I spend most my time dropping shitpost bombs in the Star Citizen thread, but enough people mentioned E:D that I did some research. Figured it was worth a buy, and I was right. Although the lack of depth is definitely an issue, I can't seem to stop playing it. I love sandbox games (I've put stupid hours running through fields in DayZ looking for random crap), and so I get a ton of value out of E:D.

Things I like:
- Environment/GameWorld: The star map is incrediballs
- UI: Beyond the general slickness and excellent readability, I like the left/right/up/down camera moves
- HUD/Radar: SO good. Comparing it to the hud in SC is like a pit bull vs. a baby
- Controls: M/KB guy, but it feels like I can really express my intentions well through the controls
- Combat/BH: There's a pretty big learning curve there, but it's fun from the start
- Exploration: In general, it's done pretty well. There are some probs though, mainly the rewards

Things I think need improvement: (please feel free to educate me about these, I may be missing important stuff)
- Payouts. In general, the payouts for most things don't scale well. As you improve, you basically are driven into grinding.
- Missions. The payouts are way too low, and it seems like there's very little substance/story to engage the player. The mission dynamics feel off too. Like when I have to meet people, I never seem to get it right. The multi-step missions don't feel worth it for the most part.
- Trading. Finding trade routes makes me crazy, seems like the economies' supply/demand is never what I expect. Probably I'm just not good at it yet. But I make waaay more money grinding HAZREC than trading rares, or exploiting the few profitable routes I've found
- Salvage. Pisses me right off, frankly. I find a salvageable wreckage, and what, it's just a race against some NPC to scoop up canisters?
- Cruise Mode. IMO it's just a little bit too tedious to manage intra-system travel, and it takes a bit too long.

Things I haven't tried
- Mining
- Contract fighting (not sure what to call it). I'm afraid to "join" a faction in a civil war, mainly due to my own ignorance of how the system works.
- Surface/SRV gameplay
- Smuggling. Seems like more tedious trading, with less payout. Also, why does the black market pay so much less than the galactic average?
- Powerplay. I straight up don't understand it, but I've literally done 0 research about it.
- other stuff?

In general, I think this game needs another content tier. It amazes me how so many sandbox games just focus on systems, and don't design around an engaging, sustainable end-game.

Things like:
1. high-end missions to fight "boss-like" capital ships or suchlike
2. random extended events that are engaging
3. ultra-rare, random items to find and/or buy
4. some sort of customization around your "base" or "hangar"
.. I have many more ideas but this post is already hella long.

My current loadouts:
Vulture for BH
ASP Explorer for trading

I have a gutted cobra mk III sitting in the shed and I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks for your time see you in the 'verse actual game!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Things I haven't tried
- 1: Mining
- 2: Contract fighting (not sure what to call it). I'm afraid to "join" a faction in a civil war, mainly due to my own ignorance of how the system works.
- 3: Surface/SRV gameplay
- 4: Smuggling. Seems like more tedious trading, with less payout. Also, why does the black market pay so much less than the galactic average?
- 5: Powerplay. I straight up don't understand it, but I've literally done 0 research about it.
- other stuff?

1: Can be calming. Our lord and savior Kermit enjoys mining during his off time. Definitely a case of "to each their own" though as payouts are sub-par just like everything else.

2: What are you not sure about? Picking a side and fighting, in the short run, does nothing but boost your reputation (and combat rank) with the faction you are fighting for. If you came to PGS and joined the Frogs then your fighting would be for the control and eventual expansion of our faction into other systems in space. You pewpew NPCs and sometimes opposing players, turn in the combat bonds earned from said pewpewing to a station in-system, rinse and repeat.

3: Acquired taste. I don't personally enjoy it but others do. There is currently a racing league attempting to develop into something viable as a public event.

4: Long range Shadow Smuggling missions are high payout with completion risk. Think 2-5 million per mission but if your ship is scanned in route you fail the mission. The risk is in time invested. The systems these missions originate from are often 350-400LY out from populated space.

5: Do you have your eye on a special module like Prismatic Shields, Hammer Rail Guns, Cluster Missiles or special frag cannons? No? Don't bother with it. If you do, pledge to a faction, wait three weeks and then during week four farm up enough merits to make rank 3 (750, I think?). Turn them in, go buy your special module, maintain rank if you like or just forget about it then and let your rank drop back down to 1.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Toops posted:

Things I think need improvement: (please feel free to educate me about these, I may be missing important stuff)
- Trading. Finding trade routes makes me crazy, seems like the economies' supply/demand is never what I expect. Probably I'm just not good at it yet. But I make waaay more money grinding HAZREC than trading rares, or exploiting the few profitable routes I've found

Look no farther my friend. There are several sites that have data-mined a lot of the stations and now can give you pretty good trade routes automatically.
https://eddb.io/trade/loops

What you want to do is:
1) Open that page and set your max hop distance to whatever your current build can cross in one jump, fully loaded. 15ly is a good start.
2) Set min demand to 0- a lot of places read as having no demand but will buy your poo poo at exorbitant prices anyway.
3) Set your minimum profit per ton- 3000 is a good place to start as it weeds out a lot of the piddly stuff.

Rare trading and smuggling are probably going to be more profitable per hour until you have a bulk trader, but once you can move several hundred freight per jump these routes become much more inviting. Still boring as hell, but that's trade life.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toops posted:

- Smuggling. Seems like more tedious trading, with an insanely good payout if you have the ranks to take the mission. Also, do missions gently caress the black-market. And gently caress trading, it doesn't pay nearly as much.
Fixed for you.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Right on, thanks for the tips guys.

I went to a hazrec to grind straight cash, didn't realize I was mowing down the Clean Asp Explorer instead of the Wanted Fer-de-Lance I was targeting, and got myself a nice lil' 6k murder bounty in my home system. 7 days y'all.

7 days.

(are those real days?)

Toplowtech posted:

quote:

- Smuggling. Seems like more tedious trading, with an insanely good payout if you have the ranks to take the mission. Also, do missions gently caress the black-market. And gently caress trading, it doesn't pay nearly as much.
Fixed for you.

So I should focus on getting rank then eh? Now you mean proper rank right, not just rep? You need rep to gain rank, right? (Rep is something I haven't read about yet). What's the best way to gain rank? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Toops posted:

Right on, thanks for the tips guys.

I went to a hazrec to grind straight cash, didn't realize I was mowing down the Clean Asp Explorer instead of the Wanted Fer-de-Lance I was targeting, and got myself a nice lil' 6k murder bounty in my home system. 7 days y'all.

7 days.

(are those real days?)
Yes those are real days. If you're really worried about it you can buy a sidewinder and slam it into the side of the station to make it go dormant, but it's really not a big deal.

Toops posted:

So I should focus on getting rank then eh? Now you mean proper rank right, not just rep? You need rep to gain rank, right? (Rep is something I haven't read about yet). What's the best way to gain rank? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!
Missions can require a certain reputation level with the faction giving them, this just means you need to be friendly or allied with them. There's no special trick to this, just run what missions you can for them (or collect bounties in their territory) until they like you.

They can also require a certain pilot rating. For example, a smuggling mission might require you to be friendly with the faction giving it as well as a "Dealer" trade rank. There are similar requirements for other mission types. Generally speaking, the higher the rank requirement, the better the pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Okay how the gently caress do I know I'm killing the right guys for these combat bond CGs? I popped into a HiCZ and there were no Emperor's Dawn guys, so I just picked a side. Do I have to jump from CZ to CZ to find Emporer's Dawn fighting?

• Locked thread