Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Donald's supporters are divided socioeconomically into theTrumpenproletariat and the yoogeoisie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Oiled and Ready posted:

If Trump's campaign consists of bringing them up all the time what's the difference?

Quite a bit. If he's leading the polls because his campaign resonates with people then that's a rather disturbing shift in the electorate. However, if his campaign's success is predicated on his polling and news coverage then his support is more of an artificial thing. If his campaign is only a success because his polling is a success then he has to stay on top of the polls or else his campaign collapses.

I was reading an article on either politico or 538 which discussed Trump's support among Evangelicals. It talked about how Evangelical leaders are a bit surprised with how much he's garnering support from religious conservatives even though he's not really a religious conservative himself. The reason is that many social conservatives feel that they can't speak their beliefs because society is too "PC" and that they see Trump saying unpopular things and not caring and that resonates with them. I don't think people support him because they actually agree with his political or social positions, or even know what his positions are for that matter. They just like that he can say all the offensive things they think about but never feel comfortable saying.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Trump has the money to stay in the race well after and Iowa is a dumb race that hasn't predicted anything correctly in forever. He's still probably going to win it, though.

BedBuglet posted:

People act like Silver is denying Trump's leads in the polls but he's really not. He's repeatedly said that early polling is notoriously unreliable and internet polling (which is what much of this year's polls have been) are unproven. Also, personally, I'm wondering if Trump's campaign is driving his success in the polls or if his success in the polls is driving his campaign. There's a reason Trump constantly brings up his polling.

Missing the rise of Trump is not exactly a high water mark for someone who makes a living trying to predict things. Those polls have more predictive power as time goes on and Trump's winning all of them. He's gonna have this sewed up by Super Tuesday if the GOP can't dislodge some of the small fish, that's only a little over a month from now. The time for 'early polls can't predict anything' is firmly gone and now it looks like Trump could very well run the board. I believe there was an article from five three eight talking about that, so they're starting to come around, but to some people (*cough*) Trump has been perceived as real trouble from day 1.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Trump has the money to stay in the race well after and Iowa is a dumb race that hasn't predicted anything correctly in forever. He's still probably going to win it, though.

Missing the rise of Trump is not exactly a high water mark for someone who makes a living trying to predict things. Those polls have more predictive power as time goes on and Trump's winning all of them. He's gonna have this sewed up by Super Tuesday if the GOP can't dislodge some of the small fish, that's only a little over a month from now. The time for 'early polls can't predict anything' is firmly gone and now it looks like Trump could very well run the board. I believe there was an article from five three eight talking about that, so they're starting to come around, but to some people (*cough*) Trump has been perceived as real trouble from day 1.

The more important fact is he has a double digit lead in more Super Tuesday states and more importantly has broken any effective opposition to his nomination over the last few months.

Trump tried to fight him in Iowa but ended up getting stumped. Safe establishment politicians like Jeb! and Rubio would rather spending millions of dollars fighting it out for 3rd/4th place than attempt to stump the Trump.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I find this a little funny. Not funny in an insulting way mind you, but amusing.
Someone says "Oh, I think that has a 10% chance of happening."
Whatever it is happens. "Why didn't you see this coming?"
"I did, I said it had a ten percent chance."

Like, I'm at a loss here. Should Silver have given him a higher chance? If so, based on what and at what point? In order for Trump to still be standing today, a lot of unlikely things had to happen (including things that have never happened in a presidential race before). I've watched his Trump predictions shift as the field has. Iowa hasn't even happened yet so I think he's allowed to develop his opinion.

As to people seeing it day 1, I guess I shrug. A lot of people thought we were going to have a double dip recession. We didn't. If we had, they would have seen it from day 1 but that doesn't make their reasons for predicting it well informed. Like I said, a lot of unlikely things have happened between that mall announcement and now. Also, if you look back at history, even today's polling is still "early polling" and can fail to predict primaries in spectacular ways. We can have this conversation after Iowa and we've seen how successful Trump is at turning poll numbers and rallies into feet in the booth.

Case and point, take a look at Iowa in the last two races.

BedBuglet has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Jan 25, 2016

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

H5N1 has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Feb 11, 2016

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Predicting Trump from day 1 is a punditry brag not a stats brag and Nate Silver isn't a pundit.

/argument

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Rocks posted:

I forgive the white supremacist this time

This

Rocks posted:

Campaign

Rocks posted:

Unhinges

Rocks posted:

Decent

Rocks posted:

People

Rocks posted:

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Anecdotal evidence of african american support for trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9F7FUSa2WQ

Seems to agree with the theory that some black voters would support the Donald
as a defender of jobs from illegals.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Trump controls Chang!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Trump sighed as he put on his comb-over and drew his katana

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Tonk posted:

Trump controls Chang!

Chang uses a dao you chauvinist swine!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Herostratus posted:

Anecdotal evidence of african american support for trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9F7FUSa2WQ

Seems to agree with the theory that some black voters would support the Donald
as a defender of jobs from illegals.

Seems pretty reasonable to me - Black Americans are overwhelmingly working class and that's the group concerned the most about the impact of illegal immigration on their jobs and livelihood, and the least concerned about the democrats' socially liberal policies.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also trump simply IS racist rather than racist but trying to hide it (like sanders), which is refreshing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zeal posted:

Chang uses a dao you chauvinist swine!

Bernie has a sword too, Jeb! and Trump have swords.

Use the Highlander movie concept to decide who wins the election.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Carl Killer Miller posted:

This

Campaign

Unhinges

Decent

People

-Burma-Shave

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

etalian posted:

Bernie has a sword too, Jeb! and Trump have swords.

Use the Highlander movie concept to decide who wins the election.

every candidate sighed as they drew their katana

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

every candidate sighed as they drew their katana

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
look at what trump has done

the republican primary threaders are eating each other

is this a taste of whats to come?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Trump - Blacks going to like me better than Obama

Some good points in this short vid about how Trump is going to go for the anti-immigrant black vote as described here:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/01/24/trump_black_people_are_going_to_like_me_better_than_they_like_obama.html

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

It is refreshing to see Bernie does not own such an inferior and shameful weapon as a katana.

Also wonder what his gun collection looks like.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

It is refreshing to see Bernie does not own such an inferior and shameful weapon as a katana.

I assume a tasteful assortment of wood stocked hunting rifles and shotguns, maybe a couple revolvers. I really don't see him owning any sort of wonder-nine or an AR.

edit: this really seems like it should be in the thread titled "Gay Communist Gun Club"

LGD has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Jan 26, 2016

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
how will Trump go to war? there's no way he'd stay in some DC situation room when he could be tooling around in the newly commissioned Air Force Trump mobile conquest platform

at the very least he'd hover out to the major posts during the fighting season to elevate his favored and execute the low energy losers, surely

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

My girlfriend responded to my ironic Trump support by masturbating to a fantasy about him. Do I have to dress her up as Ivanka and myself as the Donald and gently caress her as such now? I figured you guys would be able to help me out with some advice here.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Best Giraffe posted:

My girlfriend responded to my ironic Trump support by masturbating to a fantasy about him. Do I have to dress her up as Ivanka and myself as the Donald and gently caress her as such now? I figured you guys would be able to help me out with some advice here.

U just got cucked

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
supporting trump ironically is a coward's pastime

either abjure the unchecked horror of his being and prepare yourself for ultimate punishment or submit and grovel as do his slaves

you will have no counsel from me

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Best Giraffe posted:

What you're looking for is http://www.yandy.com/Donna-T.-Rumpshaker-Costume.php, my friend.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

This is going to make my sex life great again. I'm voting Trump now!

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

zeal posted:

abjure the unchecked horror of his being and prepare yourself for ultimate punishment

yes please

on opposite day

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's long dark road we're on

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BedBuglet posted:

Like, I'm at a loss here. Should Silver have given him a higher chance? If so, based on what and at what point? In order for Trump to still be standing today, a lot of unlikely things had to happen (including things that have never happened in a presidential race before). I've watched his Trump predictions shift as the field has. Iowa hasn't even happened yet so I think he's allowed to develop his opinion.

As to people seeing it day 1, I guess I shrug. A lot of people thought we were going to have a double dip recession. We didn't. If we had, they would have seen it from day 1 but that doesn't make their reasons for predicting it well informed. Like I said, a lot of unlikely things have happened between that mall announcement and now. Also, if you look back at history, even today's polling is still "early polling" and can fail to predict primaries in spectacular ways. We can have this conversation after Iowa and we've seen how successful Trump is at turning poll numbers and rallies into feet in the booth.

This is an important point to make when judging predictions. Not only is it it important to be right, you have to be right for the right reasons. Someone predicting Trump will win the Republican nomination in September might look prescient now, but if their reasoning was "he's going to win because his poll numbers are highest now," well, they're probably still retarded. If instead their reasoning was "he's going to dominate the media and effectively control the tone and subject of the race, gradually pushing up favorables and drowning out rival narratives," that person would look much more clever.

In any case even now there's a lot that can change. The one thing I'm sure of is anyone claiming to know the future is certainly full of poo poo. If Trump is so likely to lose, why are Republican Leaders beginning to plan around his victory? If a contested convention is so improbable, why has the Republican Party suddenly put so much thought into organizing the event and clarifying the rules? If a Trump victory is so certain, why does the PredictIt primary market only give him a 53% chance?

Ask 50 people to guess the outcome of a coin flip and about 25 of them will get it right. That doesn't make them more likely to predict the outcome of the next flip. If you want to accurately predict a coin flip, you give it a 50% chance of heads, and 50% chance of tails. Anything more precise than that is either foolish or dishonest.

For the record, I think Trump has maybe 40% chance of winning the GOP primary. There's still too much uncertainty whether his supporters will turn out, especially if the bad weather they're predicting for Iowa comes to fruition. If the mainstream candidates consolidate they could still present real threat. And its possible the media dynamic will change after voting starts and become less favorable to Trump.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Squalid posted:

This is an important point to make when judging predictions. Not only is it it important to be right, you have to be right for the right reasons. Someone predicting Trump will win the Republican nomination in September might look prescient now, but if their reasoning was "he's going to win because his poll numbers are highest now," well, they're probably still retarded. If instead their reasoning was "he's going to dominate the media and effectively control the tone and subject of the race, gradually pushing up favorables and drowning out rival narratives," that person would look much more clever.

In any case even now there's a lot that can change. The one thing I'm sure of is anyone claiming to know the future is certainly full of poo poo. If Trump is so likely to lose, why are Republican Leaders beginning to plan around his victory? If a contested convention is so improbable, why has the Republican Party suddenly put so much thought into organizing the event and clarifying the rules? If a Trump victory is so certain, why does the PredictIt primary market only give him a 53% chance?

Ask 50 people to guess the outcome of a coin flip and about 25 of them will get it right. That doesn't make them more likely to predict the outcome of the next flip. If you want to accurately predict a coin flip, you give it a 50% chance of heads, and 50% chance of tails. Anything more precise than that is either foolish or dishonest.

For the record, I think Trump has maybe 40% chance of winning the GOP primary. There's still too much uncertainty whether his supporters will turn out, especially if the bad weather they're predicting for Iowa comes to fruition. If the mainstream candidates consolidate they could still present real threat. And its possible the media dynamic will change after voting starts and become less favorable to Trump.

TRUMP *hangs up*

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vile posted:

U just got cucked

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

H5N1 has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Feb 11, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trump just got an endorsement from Jerry Falwell Jr. Trump is hilarious. He goes after, and gets, every endorsement that Cruz should have been handed. The brutality of a Trump campaign is unmatched.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

The Human Crouton posted:

Trump just got an endorsement from Jerry Falwell Jr. Trump is hilarious. He goes after, and gets, every endorsement that Cruz should have been handed. The brutality of a Trump campaign is unmatched.

Would you like a president that thirsts for the rich iron of blood?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Would you like a president that thirsts for the rich iron of blood?

Trump will pay the gold price for something, then pay the iron price and take the gold back.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

I want to see a fighting game with a pixilated Bernie with a broadsword vs Trump with a katana. :allears: :neckbeard:

No idea what Jeb or Cruz would use.

Somehow I could see Hillary pulling a glock out of that pantsuit

Bill of course would just wack people with his wang.

Edit: maybe Jeb could use exclamation point nunchucks. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Helical Nightmares posted:

Somehow I could see Hillary pulling a glock out of that pantsuit

Yeah, "somehow"

• Locked thread