Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Any insight on how to unlock a Rogers phone? Have a spare one that I'd like to use with AT&T until I can get a new phone in 8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Tank44 posted:

Any insight on how to unlock a Rogers phone? Have a spare one that I'd like to use with AT&T until I can get a new phone in 8 months.

If it's not an iPhone, you can buy an unlock code off eBay for most models for like $5.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And if it is, someone with an account with Rogers (preferably whoever bought the phone but it doesn't always have to be) has to call and it's $50.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rogers is the devil so I've been with Wind pretty much since they started. Now that they're owned by Shaw is the devil I was thinking of switching to mobilicity.

What's the deal with mobilicity using Rogers' network? I read above that they use a different 3G only network but have heard from others that this is only the case with certain phones.

My understanding is that Wind and Mobiilcity both use the AWS spectrum and are limited to non-roaming coverage in the big cities. Is there any advantage in switching to Mobilicity from Wind? Will I no longer get dipped for using my phone outside of the non-roaming area? Is it possible to get onto the normal Rogers network through a mobilicity plan? Any other possible advantages? I just want fast, reliable, and ample data without paying loving $80 a month.

In short: is there any advantage in switching to Mobilicity from Wind?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Rogers is the devil so I've been with Wind pretty much since they started. Now that they're owned by Shaw is the devil I was thinking of switching to mobilicity.

What's the deal with mobilicity using Rogers' network? I read above that they use a different 3G only network but have heard from others that this is only the case with certain phones.

My understanding is that Wind and Mobiilcity both use the AWS spectrum and are limited to non-roaming coverage in the big cities. Is there any advantage in switching to Mobilicity from Wind? Will I no longer get dipped for using my phone outside of the non-roaming area? Is it possible to get onto the normal Rogers network through a mobilicity plan? Any other possible advantages? I just want fast, reliable, and ample data without paying loving $80 a month.

In short: is there any advantage in switching to Mobilicity from Wind?

Wind is not fast or reliable data whatsoever. Their network is actually loving awful, the advantage is the low cost for sure. Mobilicity customers aren't able to use Rogers network directly after the acquisition because of frequency differences, I'm actually not sure how that's being handled going forward.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mobilicity is owned by Rogers now

sooooooo you're SOL

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm aware of the ownership fact and am painfully aware of how poo poo Wind is. I just wanted to know if there was any significant advantage in switching to one evil corp's acquisition over another.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a skewed perspective because I'm on a loving awesome Rogers deal through corporate plans, but their data is worth the extra cost. It's insanely fast, like 150mbps, and I get solid full LTE coverage basically everywhere I go in the area. I can't even complain about their customer service because I get my personal business rep's line to call anytime. Not realistic I know.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a skewed perspective because I'm on a loving awesome Rogers deal through corporate plans, but their data is worth the extra cost. It's insanely fast, like 150mbps, and I get solid full LTE coverage basically everywhere I go in the area. I can't even complain about their customer service because I get my personal business rep's line to call anytime. Not realistic I know.

Yeah I'm on the same boat. A family member has a stupidly great corporate plan with Rogers available so all of us jumped on it. I still like to check in on this thread once in awhile. I too was once a regular cellphone customer getting boned with market plans.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Living in East Van I used to tether to my iPhone because it was multiples faster than my wifi. Direct line of sight to like 30 cell towers across the street and barely anyone in the hood had an LTE phone at the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine is a corporate plan and they screwed up and gave me an extra $7 off a month.

$45 for a regular unlimited talk/text Share Everything plan, with 6gb data. Rogers is great if they make a mistake in your favor.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Rogers speeds in SK are loving awesome because no one uses it and that's even without LTE+

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

Mine is a corporate plan and they screwed up and gave me an extra $7 off a month.

$45 for a regular unlimited talk/text Share Everything plan, with 6gb data. Rogers is great if they make a mistake in your favor.

I'm on unlimited everything. Talk/CDN long distance/data. $50 :smug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My corporate plan is unlimited Canada-wide talk/text and 6GB data, paying $55/mo. Not a bad deal at all. Would've been 25/mo if I wanted to stick with the default 1GB data, they made me pay 30 more for the 6GB. Worth it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'm on unlimited everything. Talk/CDN long distance/data. $50 :smug:

I'll take the $5 savings when I use less than 1gb a month now.

How ancient is that plan that unlimited data is even an option anyway?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

I'll take the $5 savings when I use less than 1gb a month now.

How ancient is that plan that unlimited data is even an option anyway?

It's a current plan. Just renewed with an iPhone 6S.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

iLikeMidgets posted:

It's a current plan. Just renewed with an iPhone 6S.

Hateful.

I bet it's great, though; at my last job in the States I had a corp line with unlimited Verizon LTE and it was wonderful.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got a weird glitch where imgur pages won't load on my phone. Didn't another carrier have this issue recently?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prepare your anus.

quote:

Wireless rates rise with hikes in internet, home phone ahead

Telcos blame low dollar and high cost of building networks for price increases

Bell, Rogers and Telus customers should get set for rate hikes.

The three largest telecommunications companies have raised or plan to raise the prices of their wireless packages in January, and are warning of increases to home phone and internet prices in February.

Telus will be tacking on $5 to its Smartphone and Premium Smartphone tiers beginning Thursday.

The change affects new customers buying phones including Apple and Android devices through Telus.

Rogers increased the cost of its Share Everything plans with 5GB, 9GB or 15GB of data by $5 a month on Jan. 12.

Bell also announced price increases effective Jan. 12, an additional $5 for both Lite and Plus Share plans, with increases of $3 to $8 for Mobile TV.

Together, Rogers, Telus and Bell control 89 per cent of the wireless telecom market in Canada.

Blame the low dollar
Telus told CBC News the low Canadian dollar is pushing up the price of new equipment to build out its networks.

"The modest wireless rate plan increase reflects increasing costs for network components resulting from a weaker Canadian dollar, as well as the annual multibillion-dollar investments required to keep up with the growing demand for wireless data. The change applies only to new contracts and renewals, so existing customers won't notice a change to their monthly bills," said a Telus spokeswoman.

Bell said it spends $3 billion annually to expand its broadband networks, but that most equipment comes from suppliers who charge U.S. dollars.

"The massive and ongoing investment required to build world class infrastructure is coming at a significantly higher cost due to the weak dollar," a company spokesman said in an email.

All three telcos also plan to weaken the attraction for bring-your-own-device plans by raising the price of base service.

According to MobileSyrup's Daniel Bader, the telcos are finding average revenue per user is dropping as people adopt more all-inclusive plans, including long distance and unlimited roaming, prompting price increases for some options.

Cost of internet, TV to rise
At the same time, the cost of residential service is rising.

Both Bell and Telus have announced price increases effective Feb. 1 on home phone, and internet and TV packages.

"Price adjustments support our continued investments in network, product and service enhancements," Bell said in a statement.

Rogers has already raised internet prices and plans to boost the cost of TV packages later in February.

In March, cable and satellite companies must introduce a $25 "basic" package and offer consumers either a choice of individual channels or small bundles of channels.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god I've never been smugger to have my corporate plan we were talking about earlier

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

All three telcos also plan to weaken the attraction for bring-your-own-device plans by raising the price of base service.

In a sane country this alone would be basis enough to grind up these companies and start pulling spectrum away from them at legislative gunpoint.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Just do the Koodo MB/SK unlimited talk and text with 5GB for $48 a month.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

In a sane country this alone would be basis enough to grind up these companies and start pulling spectrum away from them at legislative gunpoint.

Woah, woah, woah. This is just three companies that collectively control 89% of the market raising rates by exactly the same amount on the same day due to market forces. It's not like they're a cartel or anything. :canada:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

Just do the Koodo MB/SK unlimited talk and text with 5GB for $48 a month.

Does this still work?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dillbag posted:

Does this still work?

I just signed up in Vancouver last month.

Steps:
1. Go to Walmart or some other 3rd party reseller.
2. Tell them you're currently with Wind or Mobilicity but are moving to Saskatchewan (be specific about the city), so you want to switch to Koodo with a local number.
3. If you're lucky they'll put you on the $48 plan immediately, then all you have to do is port your number over the Saskatchewan number online.
4. If you're unlucky you'll have to do some other stuff, but I got lucky so I can't tell you about that.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 20, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
RIP SK Plan.

Koodo now has this on the terms for new activations:

"Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents only. Subscribers who move to another province will be migrated to a rate plan available in that province with similar services at the monthly rate plan then available."

Which I assume means they'll migrate you to the $90 equivalent plan once you change address or number.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

less than three posted:

RIP SK Plan.

"Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents only. Subscribers who move to another province will be migrated to a rate plan available in that province with similar services at the monthly rate plan then available."

Which I assume means they'll migrate you to the $90 equivalent plan once you change address or number.

You reckon current holders are safe?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

You reckon current holders are safe?

I checked my January bill and there was no mention of the change, so optimistic.

In reality they could change it on existing customers knowing that generally the CWTA and CCTS are toothless, and even if 5% of customers file a complaint and keep their rate plan the cost of dealing with that is less than the increased revenue by the other 95% now paying nearly double.

Edit: The Conservatives allowing a Telco-paid, official sounding "Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services" as a response to abysmal telco practices and customer service basically sums how little faith I have in the industry.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 26, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

RIP SK Plan.

They've had that warning since October but no one has been switched that I know of.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

less than three posted:

RIP SK Plan.

how do they know you have moved? billing address change? phone number port? or actual tower usage?

having an sk number isn't really a big deal when you have unlimited long distance
having an sk billing address isn't a big deal when everything is electronic

and there is no way they'd check tower usage, they warned me they would check when I signed up more than a year ago but i knew that was an empty threat

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's been a while since I looked at phone rates, since I signed on with Telus 2 years ago and got an iPhone 5S. I'm looking at my plan and going "sheyit I don't need unlimited calling and texting I use MAYBE 20 minutes a month in calling and all my texting is thru imessage. Maybe I'll drop down to unlimited evenings/weekends and keep my 2gb data!"

I'm paying $93/mo. Somehow, to change my service to LESS than I currently have will cost me more. What. How.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

MA-Horus posted:

It's been a while since I looked at phone rates, since I signed on with Telus 2 years ago and got an iPhone 5S. I'm looking at my plan and going "sheyit I don't need unlimited calling and texting I use MAYBE 20 minutes a month in calling and all my texting is thru imessage. Maybe I'll drop down to unlimited evenings/weekends and keep my 2gb data!"

I'm paying $93/mo. Somehow, to change my service to LESS than I currently have will cost me more. What. How.

What the gently caress?

The budget carriers all have some variant of unlimited minutes + text + 1GB data for $35. Some even have 2GB if you catch them during the right sale.

Or did you... sign for a contract? :laugh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jan posted:

What the gently caress?

The budget carriers all have some variant of unlimited minutes + text + 1GB data for $35. Some even have 2GB if you catch them during the right sale.

Or did you... sign for a contract? :laugh:

I had a 2 year contract which is now expired. So I'm free to move.

I would absolutely go with a smaller carrier as long as the reception was the same as I'm getting with Telus, which is phenomenal. Anyone have experience with Koodo? I understand they use the same network.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Koodo is Telus and they use the bell network which is pretty much perfect.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

less than three posted:

RIP SK Plan.

They've had those terms on for a few months. It doesn't matter, you can still swap in people to the MB/SK plan.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone see/try Sugar Mobile out?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sugar-mobile-wireless-1.3423513

quote:

You'll need an unlocked phone, but for a one-time startup fee of $29 and a monthly cost of $19, Sugar Mobile customers get unlimited talk, text, and data over Wi-Fi and 200 MB of non-Wi-Fi data.

https://www.sugarmobile.ca/

95% of the time I'm somewhere with wifi anyway...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
200mb data kills the deal, additional data is $19/500mb. If you never use data it is an option.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only way I could see that being viable is if you were a Shaw customer and had access to their wifi hotspots. But I'd rather eat my own nuts than give Shaw a single cent of my money.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I turned my cell data off because I was getting annoyed at it using it when it wasn't supposed to. That 200mb is supposed to cover your voip and poo poo too (?) so I have no real idea how much time it covers (edit: site says up to 600 minutes).

I'm kind of curious to try it out because I can't even remember the last time I made a phone call when not at work or home.

edit: I might just give the free trial a whirl. I'm spending entirely too much on this cell phone service for what I do with it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

odiv posted:

I turned my cell data off because I was getting annoyed at it using it when it wasn't supposed to. That 200mb is supposed to cover your voip and poo poo too (?) so I have no real idea how much time it covers.

I'm kind of curious to try it out because I can't even remember the last time I made a phone call when not at work or home.

I'd love to hear from someone with experience as a customer. As someone who doesn't need or want the internet to follow them around everywhere this might be perfect for me.