Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

What always gets me about this (since nine times out of ten that's what people take issue with) is that I still don't know how you'd actually go about adapting Mario into a movie "properly". The games of the time all had paper thin plots, so that pretty much leaves...a two hour episode of one of the cartoons?

If nothing else they could of at least gotten a goomba right

I liked both the Super Mario Bros movie and the cartoons semi ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Beefstew posted:

Super Mario Bros is a stupid and kinda fun movie that completely ignores its source material, but it doesn't belong on any worst-ever lists. There's a lot of interesting poo poo in that movie; it's just not what people wanted.

SMB is just such a fascinating bad movie. It has literally nothing to do with Super Mario but it's actually still watchable despite that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Which Anime Abandon episode was it where Bennett made the homoerotic remark about Gene Starwind?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beefstew posted:

that completely ignores its source material

The amazing part of the super mario bros movie is that it doesn't completely ignore its source material. In fact, it embraces a fuckton of the source material, and then turns it into what is in that movie. It's really amazing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

FirstAidKite posted:

The amazing part of the super mario bros movie is that it doesn't completely ignore its source material. In fact, it embraces a fuckton of the source material, and then turns it into what is in that movie. It's really amazing.

Yeah, that's more accurate honestly. I often point to the inversion of the Goombas (small head, big body) as evidence of this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seriously, the movie has mushrooms that let you stave off death, it has big bertha, super jumping, snifits, a dude named toad, a raptor named yoshi, a king who was turned into another form, A BOB-BOOOOOMMMBBB, and the movie gently caress ends with dennis hopper inside of a big bucket suspended over the sky and shooting flames out of it with a flamethrower.

They knew the source material pretty fuckin well

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ninjahedgehog posted:

My favorite Master of Disguise fact:

"IMDB posted:
The scene at the Turtle Club happened to be filming on September 11, 2001. When word of the terrorist attacks reached the set, the cast and crew observed a moment of silence."

I can't stop laughing at the mental image of Dana Carvey, in that turtle costume, holding a moment of silence with everyone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nemesis is definitely much better than Insurrection. It's not a great SF movie but at least it's got problem>>>>solution>>>>climax going on and also has a bit of very welcome self-awareness in terms of looking back on the characters of Picard and Data. Whereas Insurrection kind of just... happens. I guess it technically has 3 acts but the last half hour is so bolted on.

First Contact & Wrath of Khan will always be the best Trek movies.

I'm willing to give Nemesis a pass into the realm of "alright" Trek movies alongside Search for Spock and the first 2/3rds of Into Darkness for three reasons: 1) it introduced me to Tom Hardy, 2) the Big Dumb Spaceship Battle at the end is still fun as hell to watch independent of anything else that goes on in the movie, and 3) that loving stupid Space 4x4 sequence at the start of the movie was shoehorned in there because Patrick Stewart was really into off-roading at the time and wanted Picard to just have some fun, and I can respect that kind of giddily innocuous "Executive Meddling".

Because, come on, it's Sir Patrick Stewart, how could you say no to anything that man asks of you?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

The Voyage Home is the best Trek movie. :colbert:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm the guy who thinks The Undiscovered Country doesn't get nearly enough credit :v:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just watched the latest Half In The Bag, and DiCaprio's character sounds an awful lot like Mr Plinkett.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Seriously? You guys are ignoring the REAL best Star Trek movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4n-CiwIZcY

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gnome de plume posted:

Just watched the latest Half In The Bag, and DiCaprio's character sounds an awful lot like Mr Plinkett.

Come live in Wisconsin for a bit, especially Milwaukee. We're all a bit Plinkett here with a few less dead hookers in our basements. Usually.

Senerio posted:

Seriously? You guys are ignoring the REAL best Star Trek movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4n-CiwIZcY

Agreed. Wasn't there a Trek convention one time where as a write in this placed pretty close to the top?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tracula posted:

Agreed. Wasn't there a Trek convention one time where as a write in this placed pretty close to the top?

The in-fandom explanation for how Nemesis and 2009 flipped the "even Trek=good / odd Trek=bad" curse around is that Galaxy Quest is actually Star Trek 10, meaning Nemesis was 11, and 09 was 12.

Balance restored :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tracula posted:

I'm the guy who thinks The Undiscovered Country doesn't get nearly enough credit :v:

Undiscovered Country is both the best Star Trek movie and the perfect way to send off the original cast.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

It certainly beats out First Contact, which, outside of the only cinematic depiction of the Borg and the pretty intense fight for the ship, has a lot going against it. The Queen is dumb, the time travel is dumb, the Data plot is dumb, everything the crew does downside is dumb. So, basically, only like 40% of the movie are actually any good, but they happen to be fantastic, just for seeing the Borg realized with something that isn't early '90 tv special effects.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nine-gear crow posted:

The in-fandom explanation for how Nemesis and 2009 flipped the "even Trek=good / odd Trek=bad" curse around is that Galaxy Quest is actually Star Trek 10, meaning Nemesis was 11, and 09 was 12.

Balance restored :colbert:

By that logic, Star Trek Beyond is going to be a good movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nemesis is definitely much better than Insurrection. It's not a great SF movie but at least it's got problem>>>>solution>>>>climax going on and also has a bit of very welcome self-awareness in terms of looking back on the characters of Picard and Data. Whereas Insurrection kind of just... happens. I guess it technically has 3 acts but the last half hour is so bolted on.

All other problems aside, the biggest problem with Insurrection is nobody on the set read the script and realized the poor space Amish were really horrible villains and that the Enterprise crew only went along with it because their boobs were getting perky and Picard was getting his dick wet. It was virtually the same plot as an episode of the show where Picard gives a Picard speech about how the dumb inhabitants of the planet have to go, because seriously it ain't their planet. Also Wesley Crusher takes the side of the inhabitants and tries to make it so they can stay on the planet.

Insurrection is a movie that tells you to agree with Wesley Crusher. That's just horrible Trek.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's being directed by the guy who turned the Fast and Furious series from a punchline to some of the best action movies around, so I'm hopeful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's going to be great.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I saw the trailer for Beyond and I didn't get what specifically fans were up in arms about. It's like, this is what Star Trek has been for two loving movies now. What in that trailer would have looked out of place in Trek09 or Into Darkness?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

I saw the trailer for Beyond and I didn't get what specifically fans were up in arms about. It's like, this is what Star Trek has been for two loving movies now. What in that trailer would have looked out of place in Trek09 or Into Darkness?

Because Star Trek isn't supposed to be fun, goddammit! :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It looks the most like an episode of the original series out of all the movies so far (going by promotional material alone).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

It looks the most like an episode of the original series out of all the movies so far (going by promotional material alone).

We've had our Wrath of Khan remake, now they're moving on to Search for Spock. Right down to destroying the Enterprise :nallears:.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I don't see the new movies as anything but another entry in the 'Let's reboot a 80' blockbuster as a mediocre movie everybody will have forgotten as soon as it comes out' trend.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've had our Wrath of Khan remake, now they're moving on to Search for Spock. Right down to destroying the Enterprise :nallears:.

I unironically can't loving wait for The Voyage Home remake.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Come on, the crew is stuck on a weird quarry planet where aliens are doing something weird and Kirk teams up with an alien girl. The only way this would be more Original Series would be if the bad guys had raided the costume department and were dressed as roman nazis and the bad guy turned out to be an AI that Kirk logic'd to death.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I still need to see "The Nutcracker 3D". Its directed by Andrei Konchalovsky, who not only co-wrote "Andrei Rublev", but also directed "Runaway Train" (produced by Golan-Globus, and adapted from a story by Akira Kurosawa!) and the amazingly cornball "Tango and Cash". "Nutcracker" was apparently Konchalovsky's pet project for well over a decade.

nine-gear crow posted:

Because Star Trek isn't supposed to be fun, goddammit! :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Beyond has Simon Pegg writing it, it's going to own.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DoctorWhat posted:

A shame that premier trailer was awful that even Pegg was like "What the gently caress are you guys doing?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not exactly enthused at this new movie considering all of the delays and script changes. Not to mention Pegg even saying that the studio wanted a draft from him that was 'less Star Trek-y'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd put Insurrection behind The Final Frontier, because even if the latter is basically a season one TNG episode, it still has some great Kirk/Spock/Bones interaction and the "What does God need with a spaceship?" bit.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've had multiple Wrath of Khan remakes. They're not going to stop just because they actually named the Khan-analogue Khan again.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Robert Denby posted:

I still need to see "The Nutcracker 3D". Its directed by Andrei Konchalovsky, who not only co-wrote "Andrei Rublev", but also directed "Runaway Train" (produced by Golan-Globus, and adapted from a story by Akira Kurosawa!) and the amazingly cornball "Tango and Cash". "Nutcracker" was apparently Konchalovsky's pet project for well over a decade.
Don't do this to yourself. Just watch one of the WWII ghetto scenes and realize that life's too short to waste it on Nutcracker 3D.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

This isn't any sort of endorsement unless Edgar Wright is too.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

ninjahedgehog posted:

If only to see Zachary Quinto on a bus, beating the poo poo out of a hipster with an ipod-backpack blasting dubstep.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd put Insurrection behind The Final Frontier, because even if the latter is basically a season one TNG episode, it still has some great Kirk/Spock/Bones interaction and the "What does God need with a spaceship?" bit.

Insurrection definitely is the all-time worst. It's even below The Slow-Motion Picture in my books. At least that one being the first movie had the excuse of nobody knew what the gently caress they were doing. And it allowed Trek to keep existing and thankfully brought us all the Next Gen shows (except loving Enterprise).

Now I'm wondering how this supposed new ST series they're working on will turn out.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Haven't you heard? These days we do a trilogy and done... until we come back a decade later to make three movies out of a TOS episode. Someone call Peter Jackson!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think there will be a new Star Trek show?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What if there was an Enterprise movie.

PICTURE IT IN YOUR HEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Chris Pine has now been in three movies heavily featuring Sabotage by the Beastie Boys

• Locked thread