Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Reach Heaven

Through Violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

For any playtesters here - interested in testing out the new stuff on the forums? Looks pretty promising.

Also, 1 week until GenCon badges. Who's going this year?

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
I'd be down to try that out, but I've got a lot going on the next day or so with family

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I need to actually finish the Playtester application process, but I'd be game for that.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I just tried out the demo finally, and really like it.

I live in buttfuck nowhere though, so finding players is difficult, is there an organised play locator?
Also, Kallistar seems good, is she?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

So, uh, semifinalists. Turns out it's a bit hard to mod games when you've got chills so bad that you're struggling to type. Human meat bodies are such fun. :zombie:

So updates will be slow over the weekend. Sorry for that.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Well, I'm traveling anyway, so just take the weekend off and we'll come back to it.

I need to let my tilt bleed off anyway.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Turns out the winner of RHTV also gets to take home a taxidermied Gutter Owl. Everyone loves their trophies, right?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Mad Fnorder posted:

I need to let my tilt bleed off anyway.

BEAT. 7.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Gutter Owl posted:

So, uh, semifinalists. Turns out it's a bit hard to mod games when you've got chills so bad that you're struggling to type. Human meat bodies are such fun. :zombie:

Ouch, no worries. Feel better!

So I'm around all day for anyone who is up for games, particularly playtest stuff.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is there any way to buy the promo characters? Specifically Legacy and Bruce Lee?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
They used to have some of the newer promos at the Level 99 store, but the store's down right now while they move their warehouse. I'd inquire directly at their e-mail if they don't have what you need. I don't think they'll be as easy to get as they once were, unfortunately. eBay's the next best bet.

One can still get Ernie the Geek through the http://boardgamegeekstore.com/ store, but he's an older design and his super makes him impractical to actually use in actual play.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I believe Bruce Lee was available in their store as a bonus for buying stuff/signing up for their mailing list? They're reworking their store so idk how it works now.

I don't know of any convenient way to get Legacy at the moment. He's only useful if you're playing with Strikers though, since he's banned otherwise iirc.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I got him (and the rest of the promos I didn't have) with the Argent bundle in the sale, so dunno if they are going to be available easily after.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gotcha, is Legacy overpowered or unplayable if both players are not using Strikers? I mostly want him for casual play since it might help me rope a few friends who are all about Sentinels to play this game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Andarel posted:

I don't know of any convenient way to get Legacy at the moment. He's only useful if you're playing with Strikers though, since he's banned otherwise iirc.

Not quite. Legacy uses strikers in place of a UA, but that's his UA, he doesn't require a striker match. In fact, if the other player is playing with a striker, Legacy gets a bonus Special Action card (!) to compensate.

As far as balance goes, I dunno, the promos generally haven't gotten the scrutiny that most of the main characters have since they're tournament-banned. Bruce Lee seemed pretty strong, though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As far as balance goes, I dunno, the promos generally haven't gotten the scrutiny that most of the main characters have since they're tournament-banned. Bruce Lee seemed pretty strong, though.

Bruce Lee basically gets two attacks per turn, and doesn't have a lot of ways to boost strength. This means that people with soak can give him a lot of trouble.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, as long as hey aren't abusively powerful or over complicated, I'll be happy, since I'd be using them to entice friends into trying the system.

I doubt I'll get enough players around here to do any sort of organised play, so it's whatever on tournament legality until, if ever, that happens.

So do I get War or Devestation first? Which one has more fun characters?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Get Devastation first. It has the most characters and has a lot of extra modes to help shape the game more to your groups tastes if needed.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You get get Fate which has 10 fighters for $20 from CoolStuff. The fighters aren't as balanced there imo, but it will give you an inexpensive taste for the game. Most of the Devastation Flight 1 and 2 characters are intuitive, good, and fun, so you can't go wrong there either. I haven't used any of the alternative modes. Haven't seen a whole lot from War. I do generally like the character designs in War more, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wouldn't recommend Fate as a starter set; most of the fighters in it have a higher learning curve than those in other sets. If money is a serious issue, go with War, but Devastation is the best single set.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Get Devastation first. It has the most characters and has a lot of extra modes to help shape the game more to your groups tastes if needed.

How are the single player modes?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The dungeon crawl thing is actually super fun and a great way to learn some of the stuff your character can pull off.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I have a ton of Amazon gift cards, so money's not really an issue as far as this game is concerned.
I also already have the print and play demo, so I got a decent taste of the game already, so it looks like Devestation is the way to go!

Also, got a reply e-mail saying the new store should be up within the week and the promo fighters will be available there.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Just note that the starting positions on the Devastation board should be 3 and 5, one closer together than the two printed on the board.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So since they were on sale, I got War and Devastation.
I currently have everything in one box, with all flight one fighters in one bad, flight two in another and so on.

Is that feasible?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's not the most accurate since War 1-3 are sorta like Dev 2-4 with a few outliers (Cadenza, Sagas, Cherri) but it'll probably work fine.

Who's doing GenCon this year? I've plans sorted out so who will I be dueling? :getin:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Gutter Owl: did you die?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Yes.

To be less glib, poo poo Has Been Going Down for me. In about three weeks, I'm gonna be laid off from my job of the past five years. Along with the rest of the studio staff. And poo poo is a bit hectic trying to finish out our work contracts before we turn off the lights and look for new jobs.

So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to abdicate my position running the semifinal and final PBPs. I'm really sorry. So we need to look into backup options for finishing this out.

A) We take these matches back to Skype to finish. If we do, I'd ask that we continue the semis from the point of the current PBPs.

B) We get a substitute mod to take over duties.

I'm okay with whatever works best for the semifinalists. Also, job or no job, I still intend to honor the tournament prize if I can.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Umm, I kind of had life stuff go on and just dropped out without a word, so as a form of apology I could take over running one of the games if someone could grab the other. I'm kind of afraid I'd get too overwhelmed with two unless there's no other way but I could definitely handle modding one.

Either way, hope everything gets better Gutter Owl.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Sorry to hear it. Hope things get better soon!

I can do the other game.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I don't post much in this thread but it's one of my favourites and one of the most chill threads on SA. So, a heartfelt condolences to Gutter Owl and I really hope things pick up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I could see about helping next week - right now I'm got a short trip to get ready for over the weekend and don't have the focus to spare, but I should have the time then.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Alright, I've got OmegaGoo vs Andarel!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Yes.

To be less glib, poo poo Has Been Going Down for me. In about three weeks, I'm gonna be laid off from my job of the past five years. Along with the rest of the studio staff. And poo poo is a bit hectic trying to finish out our work contracts before we turn off the lights and look for new jobs.

So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to abdicate my position running the semifinal and final PBPs. I'm really sorry. So we need to look into backup options for finishing this out.

A) We take these matches back to Skype to finish. If we do, I'd ask that we continue the semis from the point of the current PBPs.

B) We get a substitute mod to take over duties.

I'm okay with whatever works best for the semifinalists. Also, job or no job, I still intend to honor the tournament prize if I can.

Thank you. I hope things work out for you.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah, definitely.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That sucks, hope things work out for you in the end.

I played BattleCON for the first time in a few months two nights ago. Lost both games due to the fact that my opponent kept clashing my actual attack and then would hit me. :smithicide:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Cherri strats!

Sorry to hear it, GO. Hope things turn around :(

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I have Tricky and Fnorder, then.

Get well soon Gutter Owl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I played BattleCON for the first time in a few months two nights ago. Lost both games due to the fact that my opponent kept clashing my actual attack and then would hit me. :smithicide:

Andarel posted:

Cherri strats!

Getting some serious 'Nam flashbacks from Round 1, here.

Also, I would definitely be willing to take over prize duties. So no worries if money's tight, GO. :)