Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fuzz posted:

You're all stupid.

Use a remote desktop to manage a server storing in your parents' basement and download poo poo on that. Have everyone share that account.

Use your own computer for whatever the hell you want.

Their Plex is already pointed at the server. When they ask for stuff, go on the remote desktop and throw it on there. Plex will automatically add it, so you did your minimum effort to find an active torrent and click it.

Or I could just set up plex on their fire tvs and they can click a button. Why would my family have servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Since it came up, Arstechnica uk did up a whole NAS feature (actually a subfeature of putting together a gaming/living room pc). They went with the Synology DS214play which they repeatedly lauded for its ease of setup.

Similarly, TheWirecutter also recommends that model but selected a QNAP model even higher. Said QNAP model can, per the Plex NAS hardware doc, transcode 720p on the fly without issues.

Both QNAP and Synology offer great support and apps to help manage the server.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

kri kri posted:

Or I could just set up plex on their fire tvs and they can click a button. Why would my family have servers?

If you can manage the bandwidth and CPU, two things that will add up quick with more than 3 concurrent users with Plex, then hey, go for it.

I can't afford that sort of an investment just so my family can watch some streaming poo poo, so I'd opt for something more focused on a local network stream which ignores the quality of their ISP (highly variable depending on where you live) and instead shifts the onus from one central mega-server that might still have performance issues to an individual setup for those that need one and won't have the understanding/patience for issues like their ISP being laggy, the ISP being down, the server going offline and they can't personally go downstairs and just turn it back on, or the server just running like rear end (without them understanding why) because its CPU processes are split between 4 encoding streams and it's bandwidth is split between 5 because the server also happens to be pulling down new content on top of supporting those 4 streams.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Running a server remotely sounds terrible vs running my server locally and letting their basic, unflappable cheap access devices access it with software specifically made to do so

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

sellouts posted:

Running a server remotely sounds terrible vs running my server locally and letting their basic, unflappable cheap access devices access it with software specifically made to do so

Watching re-encoded 720p content sounds terrible vs watching highbitrate 1080p content.

I mean you're not wrong, no one has said you are, there's just very real benefits to getting a LAN-based setup running for someone than relying on WAN. The other arguments that amount to "my mah can click icons but never a link for some reason and would never understand the concept of leaving a device on" is just insulting and borderline ageism.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's almost like everyones setup is unique and tailored to their situation. What a silly loving argument.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Leave it to goons to poo poo up a thread about which worthless media server software solution is best, thanks ya'll.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.
Because when those idiots gently caress up their router, or forget to pay their cable bill, or decide they want DSL because it's cheaper, or whatever, I'm up poo poo creek and my options are drink or drown. I love those morons but they're on their own for media... they don't need to know about my setup. For all they know, I have "Netflix Prime", special offer in my neighborhood, and that's how it's gonna stay.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hahahahhaha borderline ageism

I want this to continue forever

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sellouts posted:

I'm sure there are a lot of older people who are not only competent with computers, but better than me with them.

My parents, the aging hippie guitar player and aging hippie office worker, are not those people. I had to switch my dad over to a Mac because he fell for those "your computer has a million viruses!" pop up ads and filled his computer with spyware no less than 3 times. I tried to set up Team Viewer on his computer so I could remote into it when he had problems, and he somehow couldn't figure out how to open it and hit login. He can put a guitar or amplifier together with his eyes closed, but the man doesn't know how the internet works.

They also took literal years of convincing to get a TV even capable of doing HD for the living room because they thought their old CRT was good enough. I know for a fact my mother couldn't tell the difference between the different frame rate the Hobbit used when it came out, so I'm drat sure that they can't tell the difference between 720 and high bitrate 1080. Or more specifically they probably don't loving care, they just want to watch the new Sherlock special or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

I take this as you signing up to do tech support for everyone's parents going forward. Thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't think you want a borderline ageist who simplifies solutions for others by giving them Fire tvs and sharing via Plex

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah sorry, thought you were the dude calling age-ism, not the guy laughing in reaction to it being brought up. You're in the right, apologies.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah sorry, thought you were the dude calling age-ism, not the guy laughing in reaction to it being brought up. You're in the right, apologies.

Hi it's actually me you want; I'm the monster who thinks people over 50 can learn to press butans on computer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd argue that some people find it easier to just give friends and family access to their Plex server rather than have to give additional tech support in the event that they get adventurous on their own Plex server and click on something that they shouldn't have, or changed a setting they shouldn't have touched, or can't figure out why the Plex server is down or something isn't showing up in their library because of some hosed up file-naming or it being a file separated into a million RAR files, etc.

There are a lot more variables that can lead to poo poo not working when you set up a local Plex server for someone who isn't really technically savvy. And if you have the CPU power and bandwidth to spare, this argument becomes even dumber than it already is. So let's leave it that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

Hi it's actually me you want; I'm the monster who thinks people over 50 can learn to press butans on computer.

Good stuff. You're the one who can deal with my mother who gets exasperated when I tell her to press "Left' on the remote control, and doesn't have a cordless or cell phone so has to put the handset down to do what I say, halfway through me telling her what to do.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"It's not ageism, here's a totally real and not exaggerated example of an older person failing to do even the most simple of tasks"

I'm going to end my part in the discussion by saying the opinions expressed by some people of their parents is loving pitiful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You seem to forget people grew up in an age where they were married with kids before video recorders were even common items, and simply didn't grow up with tech. It's awesome that some people really take to it, but others just can't and get frustrated when people try to force it on them. My mums iPad is 10 screens of Safari bookmarks because that's the only thing that makes sense to her, and trying to show her the AppStore just ends in disaster. So I leave her to it as it makes her happy.

You literally come across as someone who'd yell at their sobbing mother to JUST ROOT THE ANDROID, ITS SO SIMPLE A CHILD COULD DO IT. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU ARE YOU LESS CAPABLE THAN A CHILD? YOU'RE 70 YEARS OLD YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. STOP CRYING YOU EMBARRASSMENT.

I promise you there was zero exaggeration in the example I gave. I realised that having a setup where things could go wrong and would need transversing through menus to fix it, regardless of how simple I personally thought it would be, was not going to work. "I'm old and I don't understand this stuff" to me says "just leave them alone" so I did.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

You literally come across as someone who'd yell at their sobbing mother to JUST ROOT THE ANDROID, ITS SO SIMPLE A CHILD COULD DO IT. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU ARE YOU LESS CAPABLE THAN A CHILD? YOU'RE 70 YEARS OLD YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. STOP CRYING YOU EMBARRASSMENT.

You say you think I do this, but you have spent several posts insulting your mother and making her out to be an idiot who couldn't press a single button.

I mean yea, had I said any of that I would be a bad person and an idiot, but since you're having to make up things for me to be wrong about I'm glad I didn't.

To wit, the difference between managing a PLEX install for your mother and managing a remote install for your mother, from her POV, is needing to leave the computer on.

Actual animals have been trained to perform more complex tasks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's some deep irony in you chastising me for claiming my mother is an idiot (I did no such thing, she's a smart lady who deals with a lot of crap and technology is not something she had to even think about in 60 years because it would all be done for her) and then comparing her to an animal because she finds these systems complicated (yes, the exact same loving system we're talking about here).

So in short - gently caress you. You are a massive, massive oval office.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Your grandmom doesn't know how to set up usenet and download metadata and artwork? Go gently caress yourself then!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

and then comparing her to an animal because she finds these systems complicated

I'm mirroring back your poo poo-tier excuses so that you can see how offensive the constructed image of your mother is.
Glad you finally get it, go hug your mom and show her how to do something instead of doing it for her and explaining just why she is too dumb to learn.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No you're not, you're being a basement dwelling nerd who has zero comprehension that other people don't see the world in the same way you do. Jesus, if you're this intolerable to people who understand this poo poo you must make technophobes want to kill themselves just by being in your presence.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

No you're not, you're being a basement dwelling nerd who has zero comprehension that other people don't see the world in the same way you do. Jesus, if you're this intolerable to people who understand this poo poo you must make technophobes want to kill themselves just by being in your presence.

If you weren't such a boneheaded dipshit and actually read what I wrote, my entire point has been that people are smarter than the dumb idiot user stereotype. That the problem is no one tries to teach them. That when you try, they usually take to it easily.

How is this the negative position to take when you keep claiming you're right, because your parents are too stupid to press one button?

At this point I'm almost willing to believe you, just to call you your mothers son, because clearly repeating the same simple thing over and over doesn't sink in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Khablam posted:

If you weren't such a boneheaded dipshit and actually read what I wrote, my entire point has been that people are smarter than the dumb idiot user stereotype. That the problem is no one tries to teach them. That when you try, they usually take to it easily.

How is this the negative position to take when you keep claiming you're right, because your parents are too stupid to press one button?

At this point I'm almost willing to believe you, just to call you your mothers son, because clearly repeating the same simple thing over and over doesn't sink in.

And if you read anything anyone else was posting you'd understand that we have tried to show our parents how to do these things. I spent years and years trying to show my dad how stuff other than e-mail and newsgroups (yes, he still uses newsgroups in 2016) work. The thing is that he doesn't give a gently caress. He just wants this dumb tech poo poo he doesn't know anything about to work, and he's old and doesn't want to learn it. It doesn't matter how simple we think it is, or how simple it might actually be, because on top of not having a lifetime of experience with stuff like this as we do, he also doesn't care. Most of the time when parents and other old people do stuff like this it's not because they're too dumb to get it, they probably could if they set their mind to it, it's because they don't care.

You're the dumb one here, and the one being a complete rear end in a top hat for no reason, because you refuse to accept the simple fact that maybe your parents are a bit more interested in this side of things than others are. Or maybe they are just a bit more tech savvy than others.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Voting the that be renamed

Plex: Video Streaming and Mom jokes, ON YOUR TV!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Vince MechMahon posted:

And if you read anything anyone else was posting you'd understand that we have tried to show our parents how to do these things. I spent years and years trying to show my dad how stuff other than e-mail and newsgroups (yes, he still uses newsgroups in 2016) work. The thing is that he doesn't give a gently caress. He just wants this dumb tech poo poo he doesn't know anything about to work, and he's old and doesn't want to learn it. It doesn't matter how simple we think it is, or how simple it might actually be, because on top of not having a lifetime of experience with stuff like this as we do, he also doesn't care. Most of the time when parents and other old people do stuff like this it's not because they're too dumb to get it, they probably could if they set their mind to it, it's because they don't care.

You're the dumb one here, and the one being a complete rear end in a top hat for no reason, because you refuse to accept the simple fact that maybe your parents are a bit more interested in this side of things than others are. Or maybe they are just a bit more tech savvy than others.

This is the correct answer - I've spent my whole career doing tech support for clients and family and a massive chunk of the time people literally don't give a gently caress and don't want to learn anything beyond "hit one button and go". There are edge-cases where you'll get someone super interested in it or actually able to follow basic steps but nearly all of the time people don't care and will actively refuse to engage any process they perceive as being complicated. There's a reason Apple made a fortune off the "it just works" line - people just want the magic box to work without any thought or action on their part.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Steve Jobs was a dipshit borderline ageist though, many people forget that.

I spend more time answering questions from my friends who are days older than I about why their plex stuff doesn't work or won't match titles or whatever than my dumb rear end geriatric invalid parents who stream off of my setup.

Also in reality they're much better than I at golf, making lasagna, fixing a sprinkler system, buying property, taxes and a million other things intelligence could be based on. Also they like not over complicating things.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Also most people want to sit down and just watch some loving TV and turn off their brain for an hour or two. They last thing they want is a hassle in any way. Remember, they grew up in an age where the TV just works, you turn it on and find the channel that has something on. That's it. Simple. My mother is overwhelmed by Netflix and will just turn on Frasier or some other sitcom for the thousandth time because it's easy and she doesn't want to hunt for something new to watch. She's not stupid by a longshot, she just wants to sit and relax. The concept of giving her something more complex than Plex/Netflix for this purpose is stupid.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Even if you set up magnet links and all that other complicated poo poo, you're still the one they will call when it doesn't work. If you're going to be responsible for something not working, you might as well make it what you want.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

iajanus posted:

There's a reason Apple made a fortune off the "it just works" line - people just want the magic box to work without any thought or action on their part.

And tbh a strength of Plex... turn it on, plug it in to your D (drive haha never gets old), and get your media anywhere.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
holy poo poo please shut up

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Khablam please stop making GBS threads up this thread now. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Does anyone know if anything Plex runs on other than a PC can output at 24 fps?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sent from my iPad posted:

Does anyone know if anything Plex runs on other than a PC can output at 24 fps?

I think my chromecast swaps to 24 fps on my Samsung UN46F6300 (2014 model) but I'll have to double check. I could just be thinking of what I was using before I got a chromecast and started using Plex.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I read something interesting on plex forums with regards to that a little while ago, where it was talked about how it doesn't necessarily matter if the client hardware kicks out a native 24p signal.

If the TV can accept a 24p in 60hz signal, then you get the same picture as if it was 24>24, and so it doesn't matter that my Apple TV is stuck at 50/60. Haven't been able to test because I'm between setups, but it sounds encouraging. And it's typical video bullshit that none of it really makes logical sense.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

E: huh?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've never been able to get close to the 'proper' Mensa IQ test I did when I was younger with the ones online, and half of them seem to be a scam knowing that you've spent a decent amount of time that they'll withhold the result until email subscriptions or payment.

Cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How weird, that was a response to a completely different thread. Awful app is being strange with me tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EL BROMANCE posted:

How weird, that was a response to a completely different thread. Awful app is being strange with me tonight.

Forum's being weird too with that five minutes of "you have been banned for this post" repeated over and over taking up an entire post for some people.