Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I've heard things about TNS improving but I haven't been back since they had the anti-vaxxer on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the article is dead-on on Noah's current lack of influence. There IS a Daily Show sized hole in our culture.

I tried filling it with Colbert's new show and it was fuckawful and had as much bite as a midline Kimmel monologue.

Seth Meyer's a pretty good Relief Pitcher though; I just started watching his show and it has far more insight that SNL ever did.

The article also found one issue where Wilmore clearly had a smarter more nuanced take than Noah. Wilmore is great when its an issue he cares about - but that's all too rare.

I've seen every episode of Colbert's new show and, yeah, I 100% agree there's no more teeth as far as political commentary. But, in Stephen's case, he's got the Late Show now. Its not the same political beast that the Colbert Report was. I look at it in terms of David Letterman. Is Stephen better than that guy? I think so.

Larry Wilmore is really passionate about civil rights, unfairness, and nerd culture. When Nightly began it was a lil' clunky with the Keep it 100 segment being drawn out too long but I think it's figured its self out segment -wise. He really does get invested, it seems. Ricky Valez, though.... gently caress that guy. Not funny. Not clever. Nope.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TNS is the same as it ever was. Great when it's an issue Larry cares about, shitawful otherwise, unwatchable whenever they do a bit with one of the side characters.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Alright, I decided to skim the piece after all. It's not the hit piece or concern troll piece I imagined it being. But I can't help thinking it's willfully riding on the blog hivemind's strange dislike for Trevor.

I'm enjoying The Daily Show, and many of the broader editorial focus shifts are understandable. (Less media bashing, less of Stewart's "i'm tired of being tired of everything" tone) And I guess Trevor is still trying to figure out how to fill the hole left in those changes. I think Trevor really needs to gain more wisdom and perspective for a voice to shine through and that would still take a few years. I'm not going to make excuses like "he's new and Stewart wasn't that amazing at the start too" because Trevor inherited a stronger program and experienced crew and what matters is if I'm being entertained now. Fortunately, I am.

I'll avoid the super simplistic (and wrong) explanation that the 2016 election's been too big a joke it can't be additionally mocked. I do think it's hard to digest with the willful troll campaigns of Trump and Cruz not on the terms they're willing to be engaged with. Trump and Cruz don't mind at all being mocked by comedy and welcome continuing relevance as long as it doesn't hurt their support from the base.

I don't know what a better forest view "so what?" take on the election or America in 2016 would be. It obviously involves Trevor having a strong viewpoint, and I think he's still working that out.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I'm curious to see how the industry/peers see TDS now. Its been nominated for and won plenty of Emmys. They've even got a couple Peabody awards. Will the trend continue with Noah? Shouldn't it, since they have most of all the writers still on staff? With an election year like this one its kinda hard not to write some biting social commentary worthy of accolades.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

JazzFlight posted:

I find the problem is that Trevor Noah is almost a non-entity. He reads a bunch of jokes in a row in a jovial manner. It seems fake. I want him to say something off the cuff or get fired up about something. Hell, talk about interesting things going on in Africa that us Americans might not know about. I like John Oliver because he gets pissed about stuff and uncovers interesting stories that the media glosses over.

The only reason to currently watch TDS is the correspondent pieces.

Gyges posted:

This was true about 97% of all Jon Stewart Daily Shows. We'll have to wait for Trevor to get 9/11ed or something completely heinous, like all the times Jon got fired up.

He got all serious just the other day when Fox was giving Obama poo poo for crying about the murder of first graders. I thought he did a great job of it, too. The audience seemed a little unsure of how to react, though -- like they kept expecting him to make a joke but he was just serious.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pillow Hat posted:

He got all serious just the other day when Fox was giving Obama poo poo for crying about the murder of first graders. I thought he did a great job of it, too. The audience seemed a little unsure of how to react, though -- like they kept expecting him to make a joke but he was just serious.

Yeah exactly. If Trevor came in post 2016 election he'd have plenty of time to get a hang of things before the next one. Right now it's trial by fire.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pillow Hat posted:

There's also the two or three mass shootings that happened weeks after he came on board.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Did Larry just say "twat"?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

FYI - RUMSFELD was on Colbert tonight, and he actually said "If it was a fact, it wouldn't be called intelligence." In reference to the causes of the Iraq War.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the article is dead-on on Noah's current lack of influence. There IS a Daily Show sized hole in our culture.

I tried filling it with Colbert's new show and it was fuckawful and had as much bite as a midline Kimmel monologue.

Seth Meyer's a pretty good Relief Pitcher though; I just started watching his show and it has far more insight that SNL ever did.

The article also found one issue where Wilmore clearly had a smarter more nuanced take than Noah. Wilmore is great when its an issue he cares about - but that's all too rare.

I enjoyed the article too; probably the best criticism I've read on Trevor so far. The line "He's out to neutralize, not to awaken" gets to the point I was trying to make a few pages ago.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The first bit on the election was pretty decently done - nothing earth shattering but strong enough.

And then the Cheng piece. gently caress me gently, I haven't seen a sketch sour so quickly. The second he went from "hey this is some hosed up government bullshit" to Tired Dad Jokes I cringed.

Is there someone who finds his Daddy Never Loved Me schtick funny? Like, anywhere?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I've never found that funny from any comedian. Maybe it's cause I can't relate to it, I don't know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Other correspondents have made it funny before, by being less blunt about it (not going on for so long or specifically naming the Daily Show). Colbert used to do rants that started about one thing and ended up about his personal issues all the time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I found that Chieng bit funny. I'm not sure if Ronnie intended to keep doing Daddy issue jokes after the first two times, but I thought it going for it way too tempting to not tie it with the adult gay adoption angle.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I thought the bit was funny overall. I just feel like daddy issues are kind of a low hanging fruit comedy wise. I think he's funnier when he's doing other stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Count me as one of those who isn't a fan of Chieng. He's the one correspondent I'm not a fan of. He seems to just have one or two jokes and I don't find either funny enough to keep laughing at. I'm not hating him or anything. I hope he rounds out as a comic and he could maybe benefit from working with the other correspondents more. But right now when I see him I'm kind of prepared for a disappoint segment.

I will say that the one moment of that segment I enjoyed was the classic Daily Show moment where the rear end in a top hat being mocked doesn't realize what's happening.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When you believe people trying to be Big Macs is a totally valid comparison to gay people trying to get married, you've gone so far beyond sanity that it is impossible for others to mock you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The "daddy issues" schtick is no good, but I won't write him off about that. It's actually good that they brought to light the issue of a lot of gay couples opting for adult adoption when they thought marriage equality was never going to happen. It was very much a thing and the issue now, though they didn't bother to expound upon it, is that the courts really have no idea what the hell to do with annulling adult adoptions for this purpose. It just hasn't happened so it keeps getting escalated to higher courts because there's no precedent even though the logical answer is obvious.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The first bit he did with virtual reality I thought the dad bit was hilarious, every time since it's just gone downhill. I still like him a lot though, pizza rat was quick and funny.

I'm getting real annoyed with Trevor though. Comedic wise his voice imitations are terrible and it's like his most go to move. The worst thing though is that he's a terrible interviewer. The guy last night was trying to set up easy jokes that the crowd were into and Trevor just couldn't stop tripping him up over and over. He's done the same thing in a lot of interviews with comedians too, not just a one time thing.

But the thing that I'm annoyed by the most is that, to me, he's proven completely unqualified to be interviewing non-comedians. Others in the thread have already argued against the "but Jon needed more time too" logic but I'll go a step more and say he shouldn't have taken the job if he couldn't do better than whatever the hell it is he's doing with the 'real' guests and letting them regurgitate whatever they want with no rebuttal or insight in return.

Like somebody else said above I'm basically only watching now for the correspondents and maybe because I have a crush on Desi.

Really feels to me like an era coming to an end because I'm never giving Nightly another chance. At least we'll still have Oliver on HBO.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Botnit posted:

The first bit he did with virtual reality I thought the dad bit was hilarious, every time since it's just gone downhill. I still like him a lot though, pizza rat was quick and funny.

I'm getting real annoyed with Trevor though. Comedic wise his voice imitations are terrible and it's like his most go to move. The worst thing though is that he's a terrible interviewer. The guy last night was trying to set up easy jokes that the crowd were into and Trevor just couldn't stop tripping him up over and over. He's done the same thing in a lot of interviews with comedians too, not just a one time thing.

But the thing that I'm annoyed by the most is that, to me, he's proven completely unqualified to be interviewing non-comedians. Others in the thread have already argued against the "but Jon needed more time too" logic but I'll go a step more and say he shouldn't have taken the job if he couldn't do better than whatever the hell it is he's doing with the 'real' guests and letting them regurgitate whatever they want with no rebuttal or insight in return.

Like somebody else said above I'm basically only watching now for the correspondents and maybe because I have a crush on Desi.

Really feels to me like an era coming to an end because I'm never giving Nightly another chance. At least we'll still have Oliver on HBO.

Oh, shut the gently caress up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought Cheng was great.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm finding Trevor very bland too. I know people keep saying Jon Stewart took years to get good, but John Oliver nailed it after like two weeks, and Colbert was amazing from the start.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oliver and Colbert were on the Daily Show learning from Jon for years before they got their own shows.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Pillow Hat posted:

Oh, shut the gently caress up.

Somebody needs to counteract your obsessive spamming the thread of Leave Trevor Alone hyperbole.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

Oliver and Colbert were on the Daily Show learning from Jon for years before they got their own shows.

Yeah, they hardly were starting from the same spot Noah is. He had like 3 segments before he got the gig.

Plus I'm not even sure we're making the same comparison now. Colbert was playing a character which is totally different. Plus one of the main complaints about Noah is his interviews and Colbert's interviews were always something completely different. I don't remember Oliver being especially good or bad at them and they're not a part of his show now.

This debate is redundant so I keep trying to avoid it. Its just "Noah isn't as good as Jon"/"Give him time to grow in it"/"He doesn't have IT" over and over. I don't know. I enjoy the show so I don't mind the growing pains. I compare that to Nightly which I just couldn't struggle through after a few weeks. If Noah's TDS doesn't work for you and you don't have faith he'll grow in it then I guess you gotta just walk away. Its awesome Oliver is there as an alternative and Samantha Bee is starting soon, isn't she?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes she is. Her husbands commercial basically saying "watch us since you're not watching Daily Show anymore" left a bad taste in my mouth though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Botnit posted:

I'm getting real annoyed with Trevor though. Comedic wise his voice imitations are terrible and it's like his most go to move.

How will we make it through this torture after so many years of Jon's impeccable imitations.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Gyges posted:

How will we make it through this torture after so many years of Jon's impeccable imitations.

Plus, I would add that although his standard American voice is not awesome, every other nationality he has done has been spot on to my ear. All Jon really had was the Brooklyn guy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
He had Harvey Fierstein-sounding Jewish mother too :colbert:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

He had Harvey Fierstein-sounding Jewish mother too :colbert:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/hso7s0/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-on-topic---the-best-of-jon-stewart---classic-impressions?xrs=share_red

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with Trevor Noah is ultimately that he's not American. He only recently immigrated there, and as a result he's not really invested in it. So when they talk about Trump, for instance, he just laughs at him and thinks he's funny, not something he's worried about. Because, in the worst-case scenario where Trump becomes president and everything goes to poo poo, all it means for Trevor is that he goes back to South Africa, or the UK and continues his successful comedy career there.

In a few years, that'll almost certainly change, as Trevor feels more at home and everything becomes more personally relevant to him. The same thing happened to John Oliver.

But until then, he won't own the problems he makes jokes about. He's like when Jon would make jokes about foreign politics - he finds the humour in the issues, and if he knows enough about them he probably has some sort of opinion on them. But ultimately, he's not got the emotion behind it because he feels that it's not really his business.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump is not something to worry about. He is a farce and the fact that he is leading the Republican field is indeed the height of comedy. If by some miracle he actually wins he will be crushed in the general, because outside of 30% of the Republican base he is never going to be taken seriously as an option.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problem with Trevor Noah is ultimately that he's not American. He only recently immigrated there, and as a result he's not really invested in it. So when they talk about Trump, for instance, he just laughs at him and thinks he's funny, not something he's worried about. Because, in the worst-case scenario where Trump becomes president and everything goes to poo poo, all it means for Trevor is that he goes back to South Africa, or the UK and continues his successful comedy career there.

In a few years, that'll almost certainly change, as Trevor feels more at home and everything becomes more personally relevant to him. The same thing happened to John Oliver.

But until then, he won't own the problems he makes jokes about. He's like when Jon would make jokes about foreign politics - he finds the humour in the issues, and if he knows enough about them he probably has some sort of opinion on them. But ultimately, he's not got the emotion behind it because he feels that it's not really his business.

I liked the bit where compared Trump to and African dictator.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I like Trevor Noah :shobon: He's cute, and has a nice energy, humor and presence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pillow Hat posted:

Plus, I would add that although his standard American voice is not awesome, every other nationality he has done has been spot on to my ear. All Jon really had was the Brooklyn guy.

His Ben Carson impression is great.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

His Ben Carson impression is great.

It's outstanding. And if you think that's because Ben Carson is an easy person to imitate, go watch any clip of Jay Pharoh doing Carson and loving it up completely.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Gyges posted:

Trump is not something to worry about. He is a farce and the fact that he is leading the Republican field is indeed the height of comedy. If by some miracle he actually wins he will be crushed in the general, because outside of 30% of the Republican base he is never going to be taken seriously as an option.
Trump has a shot if the old guard of the GOP stays in disarray after the early states. If he somehow gets nominated, he can quickly play a softer, more inoffensive message for the general. People have goldfish memory and many might not sympathize with Muslims and Mexicans that much. He's excellent at stagecraft so I can imagine a Trump GOP convention being a real spectacle. He can still strongly dictate what the next news cycle will be talking about. He might not have a great chance in a general, but he's worth taking seriously as a threat.

That being said, I think people need to talk a lot more about the old guard GOP and all the harm they did. And that it's fruitless to ask Rubio or Jeb or Kasich or Christie to SAVE US from a Trump or Cruz nomination because they're all terrible.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Gyges posted:

Jon knew his impressions were complete poo poo, Trevor thinks his are amazing judging by him laughing at himself after each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

I agree, there's no way that Trump will be president, and in fact his success in the primaries could well be a good thing because it might destroy the Republican party.

But at absolute minimum the fact that such large swathes of the American public support him to the point where he hugely leads the Republican field, despite being pretty much openly a fascist, is already a damning indictment of and a huge embarrassment for the USA. Most commentators act like that. Trevor just thinks he's a funny man.

This isn't a criticism of Trevor as a comedian. The kind of investment in the country he needs will come naturally to him as he stays there. It's just a pity that he faces an election so soon into his tenure.

• Locked thread