Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Magni posted:

Six guns with very high RoF for 8-inhers and turret angles good enough that you can swing the shadowed turret(s) out, fire and angle back within seconds.

Agreed. Even if you don't swing the rear out; the four 203mm guns firing once every 10 seconds will obliterate Omahas, tacos, and others that show their broadsides. I think the Cleveland is a better ship in the hands of an average player (speaking as an average player) and the Aoba the better ship in the hands of a skilled player. My stats certainly bear that up.

Also, so I could completely nerd out, I watched "The Battle of Hood and Bismarck" on Amazon Video while playing this. The survivor interviews were very poignant; they had the last Hood survivor (1 out of 3) drop a bronze plaque on the wreckage. The underwater wreckage of both ships was amazing.

TSBX posted:

Yep. Kuma is one of the ships I will always keep. It's fun having a cruiser with DD torp range on both sides.

Kuma is one of those ships I have to rebuy; it is indeed a very good ship; though my current plan is to finish up Myoko, play through Mogami and then wallet warrior my way into Zao because I really don't feel like playing the Ibuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just started playing this game this weekend, and am still learning how to properly play. Any tips people can give me? Currently have the T4 Japanese cruiser and T3 battleship(should get enough experience for the T4 battlecruiser tonight). Probably going to get the first carrier after that so I can try carrier play out and see how I like it before deciding on what I want to play the most, but general tips would be appreciated!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube has a lot of good stuff from very good players who have how-to videos posted.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Which is great on paper, but often ruined by RNG scattershot. More shots per broadside is better than less guns firing more often the way this game functions.

Hahahahahaha, no. IJN 8-inchers are some of the most accurate guns in the game. Blaming "RNG scattershot" for being unable to hit with those things is a bullshit excuse.

And the Aoba turns quick enough that you can do serpentines and angling while firing at or near maximum RoF anyway.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Magni posted:

Hahahahahaha, no. IJN 8-inchers are some of the most accurate guns in the game. Blaming "RNG scattershot" for being unable to hit with those things is a bullshit excuse.

And the Aoba turns quick enough that you can do serpentines and angling while firing at or near maximum RoF anyway.

I haven't used the Aoba in forever, but that sounds like just a big Kuma. I might have to re-buy it if that's accurate.

As for the Ibuki it's not a ship I'd skip, it's not amazing but it's probably better than the other tier 9s save the Iowa. If I skip anything it's the Izumo or whatever.

Then again, from my stats it seems like I shouldn't play anything other than cruisers in any event.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just started playing this game this weekend, and am still learning how to properly play. Any tips people can give me? Currently have the T4 Japanese cruiser and T3 battleship(should get enough experience for the T4 battlecruiser tonight). Probably going to get the first carrier after that so I can try carrier play out and see how I like it before deciding on what I want to play the most, but general tips would be appreciated!

If you get into battleships, it becomes extremely important to plan your moves in advance. You're only firing your main guns twice a minute anyway, so you can devote most of your attention to keeping track of where you're going, where your enemies could be, and what your best target is. You can drop a shitload of damage on anyone you catch at the right angle, and survive a lot of punishment if you keep your angles good, but that takes a bit of foresight since even in the few non-slow battleships you still turn like a drunk whale.

Also whenever torpedo boats of any kind are on the field, you have to loving well pay attention to them. Until they've all been spotted and accounted for you have to assume they could be hiding behind any rock or in any stretch of open water and keep making turns to avoid the shots the could be coming. At the distances they need to torp you without getting seen or hosed up by your big guns, even small course corrections will throw off their aim.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 25, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Magni posted:

Blaming "RNG scattershot" for being unable to hit with those things is a bullshit excuse.

Bullshit excuse? It's literally how the game works, every salvo can be everything from all shells on point, to a scatter that can exceed 3 times the breadth and 1.5 times the length of a cruiser target with cruiser guns at typical combat ranges, and there isn't a single thing you can do about it outside of buying an accuracy mod to shrink the max - no matter how perfect your aim, you cannot avoid straddles all of the time. Even dive bombs are subject to the same problem. Anyone denying this is flat out living a fairy tale. There is only one a single weapon in the game that always goes exactly where you pointed it, and that's the torpedo.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 25, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sounds like they need to add some torpedo accuracy stats to correct this oversight.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

Bullshit excuse? It's literally how the game works, every salvo can be everything from all shells on point, to a scatter that can exceed 3 times the breadth and 1.5 times the length of a cruiser target with cruiser guns at typical combat ranges, and there isn't a single thing you can do about it outside of buying an accuracy mod to shrink the max - no matter how perfect your aim, you cannot avoid straddles all of the time. Even dive bombs are subject to the same problem. Anyone denying this is flat out living a fairy tale. There is only one a single weapon in the game that always goes exactly where you pointed it, and that's the torpedo.

With the accuracy mod (which you obviously buy, it's by far the best item in slot and it's cheap) the Aoba's max spread at max range is 126 meters. The ship itself is 180 meters long. At typical combat ranges around 10km it's actually pretty hard to miss cruiser broadside sized targets unless you're bad at aiming (or they're maneuvering hard). For whatever reason in this game distance spread basically doesn't exist outside of battleship guns (it's hard enough to lead targets distance wise anyway), so you only really have horizontal spread to worry about. IJN cruiser guns shoot pretty much where you point them; spread is only really an issue when shooting DD's at >10km.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

demonR6 posted:

YouTube has a lot of good stuff from very good players who have how-to videos posted.

Any recommendations? So far I've just watched "How to Not Suck" by The Mighty Jingles.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I think iChase was one of the actually decent alphas who makes a bunch of videos and really knows what he's talking about.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, after just shooting down 44 aircraft(would have been slightly higher but my connection collapsed in the last few minutes of the battle) and still not getting a Clear Sky, I decided to check the award to see if it was bugged or if they had made any stealth changes to the condition that I wasn't aware of. And, lo and behold, they had!

Clear Sky posted:

In a single battle, you must destroy more than 50% of enemy aircraft, including floatplanes launched from cruisers and battleships, by using fighters or setting enemy aircraft for AA armament. You must destroy at least 30 enemy aircraft.

They might as well have added the caveat "This is impossible to earn in high tier battles." Even ignoring the Midway and its 136 planes, of which even a singular one would require you to kill 68 planes - and God help you if there was a second CV per side, high tier BBs and cruisers start carrying 4-5 floatplanes each(which is stupid in and of itself, as they could never launch that many in a match due to cooldown length on floatplanes), which given that on average there will be ~7-8 ships of those classes in a match, means you've just pushed the required number of plane kills another 20 to up to around 90.

I was in a Hiryu, up against a singular enemy Hiryu, again with 44 kills. It would have been extremely difficult for me to get many more kills than I already did, simply due to time constraints. They've raised the bar for that award absurdly high.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 25, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Speaking of tutorial stuff, I tend to use AP more than I probably should in a cruiser. Is it technically possible to score citadel hits from deck hits at longer range when the enemy is angled away from perpendicular? I know I won't get them from belt hits, but I'm not sure what goes into the plunging fire calculation, and it's quite probable that I should just always use HE in that situation.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheFluff posted:

With the accuracy mod (which you obviously buy, it's by far the best item in slot and it's cheap) the Aoba's max spread at max range is 126 meters.

Pretty sure that's also per gun, which means that the spread at max range is the furthest edge of the cone from the front most turret, to the furthest edge of the cone from the rear most turret, giving the Aoba a true spread per salvo of greater than 126, which is why battleship guns can churn out absurdities where the front and rear shell are doing things like this - the larger base inaccuracy per gun combined with greater distance between the turrets amplifying the effect. It's not as big on cruisers, but when the shells do decide to max the spread, there's easily enough room for lateral and vertical movement to straddle a same sized cruiser, and even short of the max spread is often going to leave the Aoba hitting with just 1 from 6 shells.

Yes, it turned into the shot, no, I didn't have a better target, the island obscured the Fuso and the cruisers were out of range.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure that's also per gun, which means that the spread at max range is the furthest edge of the cone from the front most turret, to the furthest edge of the cone from the rear most turret, giving the Aoba a true spread per salvo of greater than 126, which is why battleship guns can churn out absurdities where the front and rear shell are doing things like this - the larger base inaccuracy per gun combined with greater distance between the turrets amplifying the effect. It's not as big on cruisers, but when the shells do decide to max the spread, there's easily enough room for lateral and vertical movement to straddle a same sized cruiser, and even short of the max spread is often going to leave the Aoba hitting with just 1 from 6 shells.

Yes, it turned into the shot, no, I didn't have a better target, the island obscured the Fuso and the cruisers were out of range.

You also are bad and took a shot you shouldn't have taken. You should have held your salvo until the target was better presented. Firing every time your guns are reloaded is not always the right answer if you have no good targets.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

xthetenth posted:

I think iChase was one of the actually decent alphas who makes a bunch of videos and really knows what he's talking about.

I second this recommendation. iChaseGaming knows his poo poo.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You can't complain about shotgun until you have played US battleships up to Montana :colbert:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've got about 20500 free XP to use and I'm not in the mood to grind towards the Independence or the Colorado (already have a maxed out New Mexico, Bogue and the Murmansk).

Starting to look at destroyers, I can unlock the Nicholas now, or if I grind it out for a few matches, can nab the Minekaze. Help me choose :ohdear:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The low tier destroyers are a blast to play, up to and including tier 5, so I would just play those and free-exp later once you have tier 4 or 5 already. Seriously, it takes hardly any games at all as everyone at low tier is bad and you just take a big poop on them with torpedoes.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I just played a ranked game in the Hatsuharu where I captured both areas and got the only kill for my team. gently caress teammates forever.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love how every single battle I play in this game now consists of my team spreading over the entire map, the enemy team concentrating almost all their forces in one area, killing everyone there, and then just slowly mopping up the rest of my team. Every single game.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So you end up on the team of windowlickers is what you are trying to tell us.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, after struggling through my teams of gently caress ups I finally managed to scrape together the experience for a Myogi. This thing has the most bizarre and useless turret placement ever. Unless you are going away from the target or turn full broadside you don't get more than 1 turrent on the target.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, nope. Not even close. If you miss an appreciable amount of your shots with the Aoba, you're doing something very, very wrong.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, after struggling through my teams of gently caress ups I finally managed to scrape together the experience for a Myogi. This thing has the most bizarre and useless turret placement ever. Unless you are going away from the target or turn full broadside you don't get more than 1 turrent on the target.

Myogi is terrible, just don't let it get you down and push through it to get to the much better Kongo. The rear two turrets are superfiring, so I suppose you could develop some strategy that involves running away from the enemy while still presenting 66% of your firepower. Of course, you're still dealing with its horrific dispersion...

edit: Also, be warned that while the IJN battleship line is mostly excellent, when fully upgraded, once you get past Myogi, starting with Fuso they have a bad tendency of having terrible, for different reasons, stock hulls. US battleship line suffers from this too, if to a slightly lesser extent.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I (re)-picked up an Aoba and it's a blast. I've been top or near top damage every round, and the matchmaking for it seems very forgiving - it helps that the 8" guns are dominant when it gets tier 4-6 matchmaking, and it can still put out a punch when it gets 6-8 matchmaking. It's only four rounds, but I've won all of them and averaged 70k damage done, and something like 2500 xp per round.

On a different note, I've just unlocked the Yorck. I have exactly 135k free xp which would let me skip it and get into the Hipper. Or I could hold off and save it to potentially become a bad Yamato captain eventually. I really enjoy the German AP spam from the Nurnberg and Konigsberg, is the Yorck too annoying with floaty shells to do anything but spam HE? And is it enjoyable? I don't mind the idea of engaging within 10 km if that's what it takes, but I really don't like the spam shells at 15 km and pray style of play.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Hey there,

I had a 27% win rate today in ranked battles today. Guess how happy I am. It all started when our DD drove out of a cap with moments left in the game to give us a loss... not only did it take away 3 million credits, but I had no idea I would be on the path to losing my next 8.

Ranked is full of shitters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

You also are bad and took a shot you shouldn't have taken. You should have held your salvo until the target was better presented. Firing every time your guns are reloaded is not always the right answer if you have no good targets.

As expected, ignored evidence presented to take a cheap shot at me. You're wrong, by the way, and the guns were reloaded in time for me to clear the island and have a better shot at the Fuso, and if the NexMex had been driven by a shitter who only straightlined, and the salvo had not scattered so incredibly badly, a decent amount would have connected. It was absolutely a shot worth taking.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

NTRabbit posted:

As expected, ignored evidence presented to take a cheap shot at me. You're wrong, by the way,

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

As expected, ignored evidence presented to take a cheap shot at me. You're wrong, by the way, and the guns were reloaded in time for me to clear the island and have a better shot at the Fuso, and if the NexMex had been driven by a shitter who only straightlined, and the salvo had not scattered so incredibly badly, a decent amount would have connected. It was absolutely a shot worth taking.

You're an idiot, it doesn't matter if you were able to take a shot at the Fuso later, you could have gotten a better shot on the New Mexico by holding until he turned broadside to you. :milk:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

You're an idiot, it doesn't matter if you were able to take a shot at the Fuso later, you could have gotten a better shot on the New Mexico by holding until he turned broadside to you. :milk:

I believe his point is that he didn't really have time to wait for the ship to turn as he was about to have an island blocking his shot. Maybe I am missing something that makes him a dumb idiot though, I'm still new here.

I will say that the fully upgraded Myogi is a much more acceptable ship. Finally has some AA and can get some great range, and can move at a decent pace for a battleship(which is why I think it is actually classified as a battlecruiser?). I'm getting much better at the whole battleship thing too, regularly scoring citadel hits from across the map, including getting 2 citadel hits in a single salvo which felt real nice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

If you'd read, the New Mexico turned towards me during flight, he was two thirds broadside when I clicked. By the time I cleared the island I was reloaded and ready to hit the Fuso.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I believe his point is that he didn't really have time to wait for the ship to turn as he was about to have an island blocking his shot. Maybe I am missing something that makes him a dumb idiot though, I'm still new here

Nope, you got it in one. Some people just aren't able to process what I'm saying, even when provided with pictures, because it contradicts their delicate view, so they react rather than read.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 26, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
you're still using a US BB as an example in this discussion of an IJN cruiser though

cool goalpost shifting, is what I'm saying

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
World of Warships: If the salvo had not scattered so incredibly badly, a decent amount would have connected.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Speaking of Project R, it's actually 4 weeks event and we're in Week 2, which means by the time we do Week 4 we'll be getting 220 from Weekly missions (55 X 4) + extra 40+ from one time missions.

e: Already finding it :effort: though.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 26, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

No, I'm using it as an example of the system that applies to all guns, regardless of ship, and saying that although the large base inaccuracy on battleships makes the end result more pronounced, cruisers are subject to the same problem, just with a lesser magnitude.

The picture of a New Mexico, vaunted here as an accurate gun platform in context, spreading a salvo at least 400m horizontally - well in excess of the notional accuracy state - demonstrates the effect at the worst I've recorded.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Can only carry so hard. I would have killed everything, but the other team had a really good bogue and we had an afk zuiho.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

According to some people it is impossible to carry like that in a battleship due to dispersion.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My experience has been that I'm either matched up against an entire team of people that know what they're doing vs. my team being morons, or I'm on the team of people that know what they're doing and the other team is full of morons.

There is never any middle ground, hard played victory. One side or the other gets curb stomped.

Enemy CV players are almost always stupid though. If nobody on their team stops me, I can get right up to their secondary turret range and broadside dump torps at them after setting their runways on fire, no problem.

Gun dispersion doesn't bother me, but I'm one of the people that liked shotgunning with the KV-2 derp gun over in World of Tanks (before I got bored of that game and started playing this one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Boats is fun but I don't understand how some battleship drivers can nail me from 20km+ away with their very first salvo, this is with speed adjusting and course changing. Maybe I am not zigging hard enough and am also a bad player.