Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
leprosy is hard to spread :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I like to think the Abomination was the game's way of "balancing" the Jester because that's one scenario you really could use the constant stress heals.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

leprosy is hard to spread :colbert:

He spread it in this thread just fine :v:

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I like the leper against the swine prince/king because of intimidate spam and he can take severe punishment also all their class trinkets are pretty good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another question: Did they lower the cost on supplies since early access? I remember having to really think about what I want to bring but now it seems like I can easily just buy all the food and all the torches and all the bandages and not even come close to breaking the bank. Even in longer dungeons

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Another question: Did they lower the cost on supplies since early access? I remember having to really think about what I want to bring but now it seems like I can easily just buy all the food and all the torches and all the bandages and not even come close to breaking the bank. Even in longer dungeons

Don't think so but my standard kit always has herbs, key. Also a bloodthirst ring is pretty nice to bring food usage down.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i think they did adjust it a bit, yeah. iirc food and torches in particular are cheaper

edit: had a quick glance at the patch notes and nothing jumped out at me, so maybe i'm making that up. i can't shake the feeling that those prices got a tweak somewhere in the past half year tho

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 26, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Lyrax posted:

Just like the Necromancer, the Drowned Crew folds to Crusaders because they are Unholy. Plus Crusader camping skills give stress damage mitigation which is necessary for anyone who gets All Hands On Deck!'d into Heave to!

Leper is okay against the Flesh and maybe also the Pounder. The problem I'd have is the Leper having the inability to hit specific targets. Sure, Hew will hit the first two parts of the Flesh for a bunch and can knock the cannon around since it'll almost be in the first two positions and has tons of Prot. But a front liner having the ability to target a heart in any position, like a Hellion, or killing the Matchman should your other ranks somehow fail to both seem way more important or like better options. I think once again that if Leper ignored Prot or reduced it both of these fights would totally be his bag.

I like the leper for the cannon because he pretty much guarantees a hit on the cannon and whatever fodder it summoned. It can also take the punishments from the brigands and heal itself in a pinch. The same applies for the flesh specifically be a use the champion version of it dishes out so much damage you pretty much have to have a durable party to handle it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
just because his dick rotted off doesn't mean it's cool to call him an "it"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Leper is good for greed attempts against the prophet if you want to harvest all those precious wood chunks. Bring a dodge-focused houndmaster to guard the rest of the team from the roof collapses, a healer of some sort, and probably a Crusader I guess since you're already committed to pounding down the front row. Your biggest problem will be getting everyone stressed out by normal encounters before you ever reach the boss.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i thought guard didnt work for the roof collapse

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

If it doesn't it's the result of a recent patch. I know it did at some point.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Doctor Schnabel posted:

It doesn't if the guy guarding is also targeted at the same time. Same deal with the Swine Prince. Man-At-Arms/Houndmaster are still phenominal in both of those fights.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doctor Schnabel posted:

It does, but at higher levels the Prophet will frequently multitarget, and guard fails against AOE attacks that include the guarding character. An Occultist with a +debuff trinket is a much more reliable way of tanking rubble damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It works, saw it on stream yesterday

Efb

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i was watching some stream where a dude tried the guard thing. both the target and the guy guarding him were targets. :ms:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
abomination gets really silly with the protective chains and some -stress item.

it doesn't hurt that his base form is still a solid character.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Ves-PD-MaA-HM(Dismas) go to face the Swine God. Round 1, everyone gets stunned except MaA, who Bellows. Then the Swine God uses his AoE, which crits Dismas to Death's Door from full health. Wilbur's second move marks Dismas and another character; it ends up being a Death Blow to Dismas. I'm not about to try and kill a Champion tier boss who's still at full health with a not-full party, so luckily I bail. Sadly, Dismas was holding two of my favorite trinkets, the Ancestor's Map and the Highwayman's Buckle.

I feel like this is the most bullshit thing the game's done to me so far. I had a good party composition at max heath/low stress/good camping buffs, going into what I expected to be a tough fight, and it was over before it even started becuase of (what I feel is) RNG bullshit.

I like hard games. DCSS is probably my favorite game, and I splat high-level characters all the time. But when I die in Crawl, I can tell it's my fault (unless it's some early game gently caress you like a jackal pack or an adder I can't run from). In this case it feels like Dismas died because I had the nerve to go fight a boss in a game that's about fighting bosses.

I'm angry about this video game right now, but I still like it and will still finish it, but a less level-headed me wants to storm off to write one of those angry Steam reviews after 90 hours played.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think you can blame the game if you haven't learned from the previous two swine fights not to attack Wilbur.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

protomexican posted:

Ves-PD-MaA-HM(Dismas) go to face the Swine God. Round 1, everyone gets stunned except MaA, who Bellows. Then the Swine God uses his AoE, which crits Dismas to Death's Door from full health. Wilbur's second move marks Dismas and another character; it ends up being a Death Blow to Dismas. I'm not about to try and kill a Champion tier boss who's still at full health with a not-full party, so luckily I bail. Sadly, Dismas was holding two of my favorite trinkets, the Ancestor's Map and the Highwayman's Buckle.

I feel like this is the most bullshit thing the game's done to me so far. I had a good party composition at max heath/low stress/good camping buffs, going into what I expected to be a tough fight, and it was over before it even started becuase of (what I feel is) RNG bullshit.

I like hard games. DCSS is probably my favorite game, and I splat high-level characters all the time. But when I die in Crawl, I can tell it's my fault (unless it's some early game gently caress you like a jackal pack or an adder I can't run from). In this case it feels like Dismas died because I had the nerve to go fight a boss in a game that's about fighting bosses.

I'm angry about this video game right now, but I still like it and will still finish it, but a less level-headed me wants to storm off to write one of those angry Steam reviews after 90 hours played.

:henget:

Macaluso posted:

I don't really remember the costs being any higher, but I didn't play much between February and July. Maybe before July they were higher.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
So why did you Bellow anyway? Doesn't hitting Wilbur trigger the big crybaby freakout

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think you can blame the game if you haven't learned from the previous two swine fights not to attack Wilbur.

nope game unfair and fight is impossible pls respect

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

protomexican posted:

In this case it feels like Dismas died because I had the nerve to go fight a boss in a game that's about fighting bosses.

Actually, Dismas died becuase you had the nerve to use an attack that targets all enemies including the little piggy in a fight that's about not targeting the little piggy.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

For someone who likes DCSS it's amusing that you would invoke it. That exact post gets made with clockwork regularity, and then 25 people dogpile with all the various ways in which you could have avoided dying.

Hubris~

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Player: lol I'm gonna kill this little fucker
*gets wrecked*
Game: Attacking the little one has enraged the big one!
Player: Hm, well maybe it won't happen again.
*party wipes*
Player: GAME IS BULLSHIT UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

What they should do is have your adventurers warn you that you shouldn't hit the little piggy. Maybe they could say something like "Do not hit the little one!" or "It is protecting the little one!" every time you :downs: out and hit Wilbur. That would certainly help

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

frest posted:

So why did you Bellow anyway? Doesn't hitting Wilbur trigger the big crybaby freakout

Well, killing him makes the boss go completely apeshit forever, but hitting him will make the boss go apeshit once.

It's still bad every time.

Internet Kraken posted:

Player: lol I'm gonna kill this little fucker
*gets wrecked*
Game: Attacking the little one has enraged the big one!
Player: Hm, well maybe it won't happen again.
*party wipes*
Player: GAME IS BULLSHIT UNFAIR UNFAIR UNFAIR

To be fair, when I got there my first instinct was "he's guarding the little guy, kill the little guy first" and I one-shot him so I never actually saw any warnings about not hitting him.

I still managed to kill him by getting really lucky with death's door, having a vestal constantly removing DD from everyone, and a plague doctor getting blight up to 15+ on him after two people died

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Wilbur killed himself to Riposte when I did the Swing King, I'm wondering if the freakout only triggers from a direct attack?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's a roguelike. Occasionally, you will have a party wipe due to the RNG. Occasionally, you will pull off a miracle win due to the RNG. And than there are a shitload of inbetweens, where you can win by not attacking the little pig.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

frest posted:

Wilbur killed himself to Riposte when I did the Swing King, I'm wondering if the freakout only triggers from a direct attack?

I was watching a stream the other day where the streamer did just that and the king still went apeshit.

e: Well... I think? I can't actually remember if the king actually attacked at all in the timeframe between wilbur dying and the streamer retreating.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 26, 2016

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Turns out that riposte on Wilbur doesn't trigger the big guy's revenge so I thought that I might be able to cheese the fight by exploiting that. Well, that was well and good until Wilbur died, which apparently makes the boss go into perma freak out mode.

Turned a fight that was going well into a pretty tense damage race. Probably should have considered that happening and not tested that with the boss at 50% hp :smith:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When i did the apprentice swine prince it had been so long i forgot about that and was like "Well i'll just knock him down to one shot territory for when boss is dead". Prince proceeded to about kill my party off, luckily when i made that boner of a decision i had two weakening debuffs on him so it wasn't so bad, and i recovered from it just fine. Well that's my story about making a bad decision but being slightly prepared for it unintentionally.

I didn't have too hard a time with the apprentice guys i never did back in EA, but i tend to be cautious with bosses. I think out of all of them the only one that gave me slight issue was the prophet and that was very minor outside of my only real damage on him being an iron swanning hellion.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Soothing Vapors posted:

What they should do is have your adventurers warn you that you shouldn't hit the little piggy. Maybe they could say something like "Do not hit the little one!" or "It is protecting the little one!" every time you :downs: out and hit Wilbur. That would certainly help

Am I crazy or don't characters literally do this? I seem to recall one of my guys saying that during the fight with him

Or is that the joke

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Also, just throwing this out there: as far as I can recall, the only full-party AOE stun in that fight is from retaliation for hitting/killing Wilbur, so in order to have 3 of your dudes stunned in Round 1 you must have already hit Wilbur.... and already gotten the characters warning you to stop doing that

Wilbur can stun 3 guys on his own, but only after the King is dead

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Am I crazy or don't characters literally do this? I seem to recall one of my guys saying that during the fight with him

Or is that the joke

:thejoke:

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I know you guys say not to restart, but I keep doing it anyways.
Finally a good group of vest/pd/bounty hunter/MAA on the second 4 man run.
2xthugs+2xshooters destroys my group in the 3rd fight, just after a collector.
Even got an insane lucky draw on 2x rare trinkets from a collector + some other chaff.
I *know* I've played the fights 95% optimally, and I can't even get through 3 fights without a loss? I'm not doing 2/3's of a map with 3 guys

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Daktari posted:

2xthugs+2xshooters destroys my group in the 3rd fight

what were you having the plague doctor doing in that fight

e: also the bounty hunter

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also, just throwing this out there: as far as I can recall, the only full-party AOE stun in that fight is from retaliation for hitting/killing Wilbur, so in order to have 3 of your dudes stunned in Round 1 you must have already hit Wilbur.... and already gotten the characters warning you to stop doing that

Wilbur can stun 3 guys on his own, but only after the King is dead

the hits just keep on coming lol

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like this game is drawing in a lot of people who don't play or aren't used to games with permanent consequences, and it's driving OCD 100% perfectionist rpg save-every-potion-until-the-last-fight types absolutely bonkers when something goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

President Ark posted:

what were you having the plague doctor doing in that fight

e: also the bounty hunter

Had the 2 starting morons + a leper. They had great skills for 2nd/3rd row, ie their stuns, come hither's, with the damage stuff.