Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of cool that Happy Home Designer sells the equivalent of like the entire Assassin's Creed/CoD series in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

Then compare the 3DS' sales to those of the DS and PSP.

Then compare that to the number of lives snuffed out in the Pacific front of world war two.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

TTYD is so incredibly good it permanently broke an entire generation of gamers since nothing like it was ever made again.

this is a good way of putting it.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

If you're thinking of replaying Super Paper Mario, go ahead and do so. I did that recently and forgot how dark (or at least Mario-dark) parts of the story were. I will say that navigation and backtracking were the worst parts of the game, but that was the case in TTYD as well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
super paper mario is the best bad game to ever exist

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the worst thing about sticker star is that they changed the action command for using the hammer

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

greatn posted:

Then compare that to the number of lives snuffed out in the Pacific front of world war two.

Then compare that to the sales of Billy Herrington merchandise.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

super paper mario is the best bad game to ever exist
I used to make this tree in MS Paint

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So Monday is over. How about that Wii U game rumor?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was Paper Mario we've been talking about it all weekend because they released the info early.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Detective No. 27 posted:

So Monday is over. How about that Wii U game rumor?

They might be making Paper Mario. It came up once or twice I think.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
When do mock maw brother come out

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

For me, Other M is a good example of why I don't give Miyamoto a hard time about his "games don't really need a story" stance. I mean, I don't agree with it beyond "games should tell a story as a game, not as a series of cutscenes", but coming up with convoluted and ultimately stupid reasons for why a character lost all their power ups so things "make sense" is an annoying trend in gaming.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The difference is that Paper Mario has traditionally had a good story

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd appreciate Miyamoto's advice if he gave it to people who needed it, rather than clamping down on people doing good work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Aurora posted:

The difference is that Paper Mario has traditionally had a good story

With no real opinion on the story in Paper Mario games, it was certainly a mistake. I don't think anyone here has been unreasonable in their opinions on that. However, people get loving weird about Sticker Star, like it's some kind of death knell for Miyamoto's creativity. I think that's dumb.

Motto posted:

I'd appreciate Miyamoto's advice if he gave it to people who needed it, rather than clamping down on people doing good work.

Yeah. Some creative types can be good teachers, and others aren't cut out for it at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
miyamoto didn't like the storybook stuff in galaxy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Welcome, new galaxy

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
someone needs to put that miyamoto fucker in his place

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Didn't Sakamoto write Fusion too? [edit: ^^ apparently so] He nailed it in that one. "An alien virus infected your suit, we had to cut you out of it to save you. Now it's running around with all your most powerful weapons so watch out or it'll gently caress you up." That's a great setup. I don't know how the same person who came up with that looked at the end result of Other M's writing and thought "eh, good enough"

I realized recently, after playing Zero Mission for the first time on VC, that Other M is basically, beat for beat what Fusion would be if the Adam computer was a person, and if SA-X wasn't around. It's like a self-insert fanfic where the self-insert is Adam. Other M is just a wrong version of Fusion. You're stuck in a space station, there's an old friend named Adam, there's a secret Metroid breeding project, it blows up, the government is pissed.

In Fusion, the over-linear gameplay serves to create a sense of claustrophobia, because you're stuck in a narratively small area with a horrifying monster. Samus is developed as a character, but in small bits rather than the action stopping for 15 minutes so we can watch her read entries from her teen journal. The justification for Samus losing all her powerups is cool as hell instead of this weird weenieish authorization poo poo. We learn about someone from her life, but their presence is minimal and they have no real autonomy; Other M is almost like if the Adam computer was having an electric sheep dream about what he'd do if he could get in on the action and he was Samus's best friend. Ridley being aboard the ship is literally just a "what-loving-ever, here's Ridley" dumped on you with no real explanation, and Samus doesn't even mention it in narrative. Samus destroys the Metroid breeding ground herself instead of Adam doing it for her. It's almost astounding that Fusion came first, and wasn't someone's desperate attempt to "fix" Other M.

I think Fusion is a good, cool game, but I think a lot of the negativity around it is more by proxy because of Other M and its similarities, and how you can see a lot of the garbage present in Other M had taken form in Fusion.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Looper posted:

When he's right, he's right

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spellman posted:

I used to make this tree in MS Paint

The art direction in that game is so loving bad.

Like, they executed well on what they were going for but what they were going for sucked.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Looper posted:

Wait, people actually liked that? :confused:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Tender Bender posted:

Like, they executed well on what they were going for but what they were going for sucked.

That's a matter of opinion. Like you said, they executed well on what they were going for. I like it's minimalist art style, people are too busy comparing it to what it isn't, that they don't let it excell at what it is.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The wii u loving sucks

brb guys playing wii u with my boys

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't know you could make a game entirely in Adobe Illustrator

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It was one of the few things I enjoyed about that game. I can't stand the formula of entering a stage, find a star after five minutes, get kicked out, run back to the stage at the furthest end of the hub, repeat. It also gave me some kind of incentive to play the stages beyond "find more stars".

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It was one of the few things I enjoyed about that game. I can't stand the formula of entering a stage, find a star after five minutes, get kicked out, run back to the stage at the furthest end of the hub, repeat. It also gave me some kind of incentive to play the stages beyond "find more stars".

what the gently caress!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, it was cute

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The storybook stuff was cute and harmless :shrug:.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It was fine except if you only noticed that room near the end of the game and had to go through ALL of that story in one sitting without a chance to stop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I thought Galaxy 2 had a bolder narrative and I appreciate that they weren't afraid to ask questions like "what if Bowser was really big" and "what if there was a fat luma"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I want to make a sequel to Other M. I'd call it

Metroid: Better M

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SRM posted:

That already exists. It's called Metroid: Fusion.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

SRM posted:

If he keeps producing hits like Tomodachi Life, Sakamoto will probably get another shot at making a Metroid Other M type game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

He doesn't want to make serious games any more

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SRM posted:

What I'd like to see is a follow-up to Fusion with Samus on the run from the Federation and hunting down the last of the Metroids. Assisted by AI Adam and her animal friends that she rescued from the space lab.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

He doesn't want to make serious games any more

Good. Don't let him anywhere near Metroid again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel kind of bad for him, his track record is actually insanely good

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

He's worked on nearly every 2d Metroid. I say cut him some slack, he's worked on a lot of good games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Super Paper Mario is good actually

• Locked thread