Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Those quake weapons look neat, they remind me of shooters from that era where the weapons would be sprites of more detailed models than the game could handle, but in this case they're actually the models and it's cool.

Echoing that the nade launcher is probably my favourite, although I think they're all great apart from maybe the chaingun. That might just be a personal taste thing cause there's nothing wrong with the model, it's just chainguns are a little less special than nailguns or the sweet bizon SMGs you put in.

I don't have a problem with the skull, I like the sleepy eyes and I like how it shakes around when you fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This is now the Marathon page

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

This is now the Marathon page

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Put this terminal in a crappy level made in an afternoon with no elevation changes or lighting and you have an above-average user-made Marathon level.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pretty good video analysing why Doom's enemy variety is so very important and something forgotten in many modern shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOObGjCA7Q

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loga mira posted:

OK but I want to keep the Doom look also.

You could make it look like the Unmaker from Doom 64.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Good Doom-related videos are starting to come out, ya'll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A4-SVUHQYI

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I tried Marathon 2: Durandal for a while, but wound up in a stage where the entire level was quickly flooding, and couldn't figure out what the game was expecting of me, and just kinda never went back to try again.

7/10 was okay

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shadow Hog posted:

I tried Marathon 2: Durandal for a while, but wound up in a stage where the entire level was quickly flooding, and couldn't figure out what the game was expecting of me, and just kinda never went back to try again.

7/10 was okay

That was a pretty clever level, and something unheard of for the time in a game

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

7/10 was okay

I love the Marathon games, mostly because I only had access to macs and sort of had to by default. There's a lot to love about them (multiplayer in particular), but I think I can freely admit at this point that a lot of the abstract and frustrating level design was Not Good. Some stuff worked really well, but there was an awful lot that sort of required grenade jumping, which is just kinda lovely design (though it is possible I was just never finding the secret stuff or something).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I love the Marathon games, mostly because I only had access to macs and sort of had to by default. There's a lot to love about them (multiplayer in particular), but I think I can freely admit at this point that a lot of the abstract and frustrating level design was Not Good. Some stuff worked really well, but there was an awful lot that sort of required grenade jumping, which is just kinda lovely design (though it is possible I was just never finding the secret stuff or something).

I don't think that there were any levels that required you to do grenade jumping. There was some really tight timing in some spots though, and if you didn't run perfectly through in time you'd have to go back and try it again.

You could trigger switches with grenades though, and I know there were a couple places that was required, and the game never spells out that it can be done in that way.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
No part of the Marathon trilogy requires grenade jumps unless you're looking for secrets, but the secrets are of very little consequence compared to Doom and aren't tallied in any way so there's no need to sweat it.

The level design is definitely more abstract than in Doom, and I'm wondering if Shadow Hog was referring to the level "Bob's Big Date." The center part of the level is a hundred-foot-tall cylinder that fills and drains with water very very rapidly, and there's doors all over the place. It's... peculiar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marathon 2 is just before the line where 2.5D map design - with room-over-room capability - overwhelms a top-down map view and becomes utterly incomprehensible (Infinity is way past this line and disappearing over the horizon).

I don't think there are any places where grenade jumping is required to proceed, though.

e: He may have been referring to What About Bob, where you're supposed to hit a pair of switches and then run up the stairs with rapidly rising lava close behind you. Buried somewhere in the wall of text in the terminal is a warning not to hit them in the wrong order but I don't blame anyone, especially anyone just discovering it in the modern era, who didn't catch that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Marathon maps aren't that confusing, are they?

In seriousness, I think Infinity took me months to get through the first time because some of the maps are so confusing and the automap doesn't help at all.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Colony Ship for Sale, Cheap in M1 has that awful grenade jumping puzzle of legend, but M2's levels were much better made, much clearer and much more action oriented.

I play through M2 about once a year, and there's definitely a few levels that I can traverse easier because the game is imprinted into my DNA, but it's not close to as inscrutable as M1 can be.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My favorite Marathon 2 level is "Come and Take Your Medicine." It's a very simple mission, and if you know what you're doing, you can probably finish the level in about 2 minutes. It's also a relatively big level, and you're outgunned, so if you get busted sneaking about, it's very possible that you can spent quite a while evading and fighting off enemies.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Can you still get M1A1? I'll trade the PID fanfiction for a not lovely Colony Ship.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

haveblue posted:

He may have been referring to What About Bob, where you're supposed to hit a pair of switches and then run up the stairs with rapidly rising lava close behind you. Buried somewhere in the wall of text in the terminal is a warning not to hit them in the wrong order but I don't blame anyone, especially anyone just discovering it in the modern era, who didn't catch that.
That sounds about right. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it to level 12, at any rate; it was more like level 4-5.

Not sure how I missed that terminal, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shadow Hog posted:

That sounds about right. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it to level 12, at any rate; it was more like level 4-5.

About level 4-5, you blow up a dam the level before it, and the level is slowly filling up with the green sludge because of it. I thought it was a neat way to add a timer to a level without it just being a straight up clock.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Iron Crowned posted:

About level 4-5, you blow up a dam the level before it, and the level is slowly filling up with the green sludge because of it. I thought it was a neat way to add a timer to a level without it just being a straight up clock.

If you're talking about Charon Doesn't Make Change, you actually blow up the dam in Marathon Infinity. In 2 the sludge is triggered by a random polygon and there's no reason given for it, a terminal passively mentions that it's happening but not why. In Infinity, one of the maps is set directly before the events of 2 and in it you blow up a dam.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

If you're talking about a level that fills with water, it's "Charon Doesn't Make Change." It only floods the basement of the level. It's a random trigger when you walk down some steps and it's really just there for flavor, except since M2 doesn't have a weapon that can shoot underwater it just makes that part a little obnoxious.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Am I the only person in the world who prefers the first Marathon (or at least the M1A1 version of it) to its sequels? It was way more focused and action oriented than 2 or Infinity to its benefit. Yeah, there were some crimes against level design in there, but the sequels were way too preoccupied with exploration and environmental puzzles without improving the level design enough for that to actually be a good idea. With a few often noted exceptions, Marathon 1 was basically a long series of intense ambushes to defuse and I loved it. Having music instead of boring ambient noises didn't hurt either.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thyrork posted:

Restraining yourself to a certain collection of tools is important regardless of their availability at the time or not. If you dont, you get Duke Nukem Forever.

While I agree it would've been great to have the Quake 2 DNF, 2001 Unreal DNF, and also the 2011 DNF, I for one am glad to have the 2011 DNF. I think the real lesson is don't change engines, just hire two or three more teams and make more Duke games at any given time. And always bet on Duke.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Has it really been 4½ years since DNF was released? drat.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Can you still get M1A1? I'll trade the PID fanfiction for a not lovely Colony Ship.
Here, try this - http://www.mediafire.com/download/7q1hvqci74ncerb/Marathon_1.7z
It has files with M1A1 in names inside so it should be the right thing but it was a long time since I touched that folder. Bundled with (probably ancient) version of AlephOne because I have no idea which files are for Aleph and which for Marathon itself.

Speaking of which I really like Marathon games. Not even for the gameplay - though I recall enjoying it back when I played - but for the story. Convoluted, mindscrewy story that has enough in it to have the community try to dissec it to this day as far as I know. Wondrous thing. I need to play Marathons again some time and get through Infinity this time around.

Also Durandal is the best AI :allears:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I like the marathon games, i just wish I could play them without getting motion sickness.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I want to like Marathon, but I'd be playing for the story which means starting with 1 and by like level 3 the level design is just too screwy for my little brain :(

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It's not like any of the other Marathon games have simpler mapping, it took kid-me days of loving around to even figure out how to exit the first level of Infinity.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
I really wish somone would make a sourceport that isn't Aleph One. The poo poo mouselook (literally worse than build engine without bmouse) makes it really hard for me to want to replay anything, and the netcode is garbage so co-op doesn't work.
:negative:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

skasion posted:

It's not like any of the other Marathon games have simpler mapping, it took kid-me days of loving around to even figure out how to exit the first level of Infinity.

The good thing is that you repeat it 4 times so you have plenty of time to learn it!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elliotw2 posted:

The good thing is that you repeat it 4 times so you have plenty of time to learn it!

Nah, that's the last level, which gave kid-me enough trouble that I'm pretty sure I didn't beat it till I was old enough to vote. Too bad none of the bad end levels are remotely comparable to Aye Mak Sicur in how they play, or it actually would give you a good chance at learning the map, but they're all really cut-down versions of it and none of them has anything worth exploring much for (and iirc one or two of them are vacuum levels) so you basically want to leave as quick as you can manage. The first level is completely unrelated apart from having the Jjaro texture set.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

laserghost posted:

Now go for the 4th episode, it's difficulty level will certainly surprise you. :kheldragar:
I just finished this, it was definitely a lot harder!

(this endscreen is way better than the one for the 3rd episode, btw)

E4M1 was really rough because I didn't really understand where and when enemies would teleport half the time, and E4M6 was weird because entering the same teleporter on the pillar from different directions takes you to different places so there was a good chunk of trial and error involved. I liked it a lot, though. A lot of these maps used the tougher demons a lot better, I thought-like E4M6's cyberdemon which you don't have much good space to move around in without taking splash damage, unlike the original maps where you just strafe around him. Or the spiderdemon at the end in a bit of an enclosed area with other enemies(he got mad at a cacodemon and mowed it the gently caress down when I went through that).

Doom II next, I suppose!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
For a 90s FPS star, doomguy is a surprisingly sensitive guy. :allears:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Basically every time I decide I'm going to play Marathon I update my Aleph One, test a little bit of each game to make sure it's working, and then set it down and forget about it until I decide that I'm going to play Marathon, but first I have to make sure my Aleph One is up to date...

It actually disappoints me, I like a lot of the ideas and style of Marathon and I really should put the proper time and effort into it. I even kept my copy of M1A1 just in case and I've been updating its Aleph One right alongside everything else.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

IronicDongz posted:

I just finished this, it was definitely a lot harder!

(this endscreen is way better than the one for the 3rd episode, btw)

Klaus88 posted:

Modern FPS protagonists should all own pets.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yo what is up with Doom 2 map 2's music. it sounds like lovely elevator music while I'm running around in a sewers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
RIP Daisy. You will be avenged.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Klaus88 posted:

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a strip of that one webcomic dedicated to this, would be good material for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'd love Doom 4 to go down the route of the New Order and have him waxing philosophical with the hushed voice of a man who has seen too much.