Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The Watchwork Mining Pick (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchwork_Mining_Pick) is unique among the infinite harvesting tools in that it occasionally gives you actually valuable crafting materials as a bonus.

Mostly you should just avoid buying consumable things (especially Black Lion Chest Keys and Dye kits), they have the best chance to turn out as a complete waste of money. Also watch out that the Bag slot items are per-character, but Bank slots are account-wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Character slots are the best investment. At worst you can use your alts for storage, but playing all of the classes is neat.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
How is GW2 going? I been on a EVE kick and haven't had much time to play anything else.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Uziduke posted:

How is GW2 going? I been on a EVE kick and haven't had much time to play anything else.

It will always be better than EVE.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

mind the walrus posted:

So this is odd. I'm in a small guild run by a teenager. Apparently she was dumb enough to leave her mats for a Legendary in the guild bank after inviting some new pub into it. Now the pub has run off with all the mats and she's crying because she has no idea what to do. Since this was all technically kosher I imagine customer support will do jack poo poo so I told her to post a sob story on the GW2 reddit and forums. Not really asking for advice, just sharing the schadenfreude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey gooms, I just got another alt up to 80, so you know what that means. It's HoT HP train time! I'd like to get as productive a one going as possible, so please let me know what time would work best for you all. I'm thinking maybe like 9 PM EST tomorrow or Wednesday?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Schpyder posted:

Hey gooms, I just got another alt up to 80, so you know what that means. It's HoT HP train time! I'd like to get as productive a one going as possible, so please let me know what time would work best for you all. I'm thinking maybe like 9 PM EST tomorrow or Wednesday?

Oh good, I need to get my berserker set up since warrior is the true class. Either night works fine but I guess I prefer tomorrow.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

I have the worst best timing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Generic Octopus posted:

No, and in fact the removal of decent rewards from dungeons was a deliberate act intended to encourage players to play fractals/raids/HoT content instead. Do not expect it to change any time soon.

this really bums me out

before i quit playing months back, anet had hosed up the 1-80 core personal story really bad, had really poor communication about that, and i don't think it's been entirely fixed, and then during my absence they hosed up the dungeons too. and the attitude toward these needless butcherings seems to be like "eh, whatever, gently caress off we're trying to build other things". which doesn't make any drat sense to me because what is the point in dicking around with stuff that was, while not perfect, at least fun and "makes sense in the same way that linear time does". forcing people from grindy activity A to grindy activity B to get gold rewards doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, when they could have, say, made them roughly comparable but added an x% bonus to the new/favored stuff for a while to get grinders to play it

i get that anet's whole (unintentional) gimmick is they have absolutely amazing ideas and then get tripped up in the implementation. but drat sometimes i think they should build in structural bullshit-callers to their internal processes. a person or people whose sole purpose would be to respond to internal proposals with counterpoint proposals that point out all the tone-deaf ways that the internal proposal will come across to players

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 26, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but drat sometimes i think they should build in structural bullshit-callers to their internal processes. a person or people whose sole purpose would be to respond to internal proposals with counterpoint proposals that point out all the tone-deaf ways that the internal proposal will come across to players

they fired that guy for being too negative

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Hrouda forgot his ticket to ride the hype train.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i get that anet's whole (unintentional) gimmick is they have absolutely amazing ideas and then get tripped up in the implementation.

I think it was more that they wanted to rake in as many HoT purchases as possible, and figured the best way to do that was to obsolete the old content and force the expansion purchase as much as they could. You might also notice that unless you have HoT (and therefore unlocked masteries), gaining a level 80 now does literally nothing but refill your health bar. There are no skill points to gain or spend anymore, as they replaced them with completely different systems. There was talk about having the masteries of the original Tyria world available to everybody, but welp to that.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I finished the pvp reward track for the last maguuma zone and I got a chak egg that I can apparently use to buy a weapon. Kind of hosed up that this reward track only gives you one weapon, but whatevs. So I go to buy this thing and oh actually they cost 3-5 eggs.

God drat it, Colin.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hefty posted:

I finished the pvp reward track for the last maguuma zone and I got a chak egg that I can apparently use to buy a weapon. Kind of hosed up that this reward track only gives you one weapon, but whatevs. So I go to buy this thing and oh actually they cost 3-5 eggs.

God drat it, Colin.
:laffo:

This is so Anet it hurts. They're trying even harder to keep you playing by grinding poo poo than subscription based MMOs at this point.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Is...that Condor Man from Disney?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

AmyL posted:

Is...that Condor Man from Disney?

super-heroes looked so cool back then

Aug 24, 2011

Hefty posted:

God drat it, Colin.

wow i thought that chest gave you choice of weapon lmao

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Uh are you sure you got a Chak Gerent Cache and not a Veteran Chak Cache (which is also on the reward track)

Cause according to the official wiki the Veteran Chak Cache should give you the egg and the Chak Gerent Cache should give you the weapon. Like submit a support ticket if you got the wrong thing from it, according to both the in-game description and the wiki it should be giving you a weapon, not an egg.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 26, 2016

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Magres posted:

Uh are you sure you got a Chak Gerent Cache and not a Veteran Chak Cache (which is also on the reward track)

Cause according to the official wiki the Veteran Chak Cache should give you the egg and the Chak Gerent Cache should give you the weapon. Like submit a support ticket if you got the wrong thing from it, according to both the in-game description and the wiki it should be giving you a weapon, not an egg.
It's the Tangled Depths track that gives you a chak weapon (you can only do this one once, because :anet:), the generic HoT reward track just gives you a choice of reclaimed plate, a chak egg, and I think an auric ingot or something every time you finish it.

Aug 24, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's the Tangled Depths track that gives you a chak weapon (you can only do this one once, because :anet:), the generic HoT reward track just gives you a choice of reclaimed plate, a chak egg, and I think an auric ingot or something every time you finish it.

reclaimed plate is a pretty good prize.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just fought Shatner for the last time. Goodbye easy dragon fight. I look forward to changes that I'm willing to bet involve little more than removing the ledge to the side and dps fields to railroad players into the center funnel.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The big balance patch is today right?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

It's okay, they're actually a 400 year old dragon.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

malhavok posted:

The big balance patch is today right?

Yup, I can't check but people are already complaining about some stealth nerfs.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LiftAuff posted:

Yup, I can't check but people are already complaining about some stealth nerfs.

It's not out yet though?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

10 minute warning just went out

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's not out yet though?

I've no clue but there is some Mesmer already complaining about Mirror Blade/Blurred Frenzy getting a precast or aftercast.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Let's get preemptively angry.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

patch notes are fuckin' huge so I'm going to link the reddit page instead, somebody else can paste the whole thing in here if they're feeling motivated

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/42sfe0/game_update_notes_jan_26_2016/

Thief changes:

quote:

Withdraw: The healing values of this skill have been increased by 10%.
Double Strike: This skill’s damage has been increased by 42%.
Lotus Strike: This skill’s damage has been increased by 29%. The attack point has been increased by 0.06 seconds and the aftercast delay has been reduced by 0.35 seconds.
Shadow Shot: This skill will now trigger Assassin’s Reward correctly, even if it misses.
Shadow Strike: This skill will now trigger Assassin’s Reward correctly, even if it misses.
Slice: The attack point of this skill has been increased by 0.16 seconds.
Slash: Reduced the aftercast delay of this skill by 0.1 seconds.
Crippling Strike: Increased the attack point of this skill by 0.08 seconds. Reduced the aftercast delay of this skill by 0.48 seconds.
Basilisk Venom: While under the effects of this venom, your attacks are unblockable.
Hidden Thief: This trait now grants 50% bonus movement speed while in stealth.
Fleet Shadow: This trait has been renamed to Instant Reflexes. This trait no longer grants bonus movement speed while in stealth and will instead grant the thief evasion for 2 seconds when struck while under 50% health, with an internal cooldown of 40 seconds.
Feline Grace: This trait’s vigor duration has been increased from 4 seconds to 5 seconds.
Pain Response: This trait now also removes torment in addition to its current removals.
Guarded Initiation: This trait now removes confusion in addition to its current removals. The health threshold has been reduced from 90% to 75%.
Swindler’s Equilibrium: This trait now also grants 5% bonus damage to sword and spear attacks.
Assassin’s Reward: This trait’s base healing per level has been increased by about 50% and its healing power contribution has been increased by 70%.
Upper Hand: This trait now grants regeneration for 6 seconds when the initiative regain occurs.

Daredevil:
Driven Fortitude: The healing from this trait will now appear in the combat log.
Staff Strike: This skill’s damage has been increased by 36%.
Staff Bash: This skill’s damage has been increased by 16%.
Punishing Strikes: This skill’s damage has been increased by 44%.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Berserker:

Scorched Earth: Enemies are now able to be struck by this skill only once every 0.5 seconds.

:rip:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Sweet, looks like there's an option you can set so you can be in a squad and still see all commander tags.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

This is hilarious. Is this official? I doubt it, but I really hope it is.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

... i think they should build in structural bullshit-callers to their internal processes. a person or people whose sole purpose would be to respond to internal proposals with counterpoint proposals that point out all the tone-deaf ways that the internal proposal will come across to players

We've got a guy like this for our hobby development team. He's not a coder, he just sits in on meetings sometimes and, very occasionally, raises his hand and says, "That's a dumb idea. Pull your head out of your rear end." We love him for it. Any self-aware dev team should have one of those guys. We call him our "No-Man".

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ranger buffs across the board. Not bad, not bad. Pet shouts might be useful? Not good, but not laughably useless anymore. Maybe.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Contemplation of Purity and Wings of Resolve changes are cool, not convinced about most of the rest of the guardian changes. I think I might have to start playing more necro instead.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

quote:

Adjusted the score threshold for the Haywire Punch-o-matic Battle adventure in Tangled Depths from 230 to 200. The timer for completion has also been increased from 2:00 to 2:30.

Wait, what? They actually care about Adventures?! :monocle:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Thief and warrior buffs, awww yeah

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I see my Fresh Air build got buffed, yay.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Blasphemeral posted:

This is hilarious. Is this official? I doubt it, but I really hope it is.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/691984661329874944

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay, finished reading and I think I'm mostly underwhelmed by the balance changes more than anything.

• Locked thread