Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
siddy
Jul 27, 2010
I think the patches are pretty much as expected. It'll be interesting to see what happens with some of the classes. Here are my (very early) impressions from a PVP perspective:

1) Ele - interesting change to Diamond Skin. Lose 1 condition per second as long as you're above 75% HP isn't bad. Not sure about the other traits, as I don't play ele
2) Engineer - They didn't tear apart the scrapper, just changed the sustain a bit. Still seems quite viable
3) Guardian - Few changes to traps, and a few extra condi clenses. Won't be 'meta' but will probably do a bit better overall
4) Mesmer - torn apart basically. I can't see any viable build for the mesmer right now. Maybe conditions, but it doesn't provide enough team support or burst to be viable.
5) Necro - buffs across the board. Especially in boon corruption.
6) Ranger - buffs again. Some interesting pet changes regarding ressing
7) Revenant - sword nerfs. Will that mean you'll be seeing more staff power revs?
8) Thief - big winners as far as I'm concerned. Buffs to sustain and DPS. They'll easily be part of the new meta
9) Warrior - I don't know enough to comment on the changes, but it looks as though they made a lot of changes on cooldowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

Okay, finished reading and I think I'm mostly underwhelmed by the balance changes more than anything.

Yea, all the numbers in the world won't make me care about thief/daredevil.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is dragonhunter nerfed into the ground? :ohdear:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dragonhunter

Wings of Resolve: This skill is no longer affected by movement-altering effects, such as cripple and swiftness. It also no longer queues and will activate immediately when possible.
Test of Faith: The initial damage of this skill has been reduced from 66% of the trap’s full damage to 50%, for a damage reduction of 25%. Updated the effects of this trap to cull less frequently.
Dragon’s Maw: Increased the barrier radius from 90 to 120. Reduced barrier duration from 6 seconds to 4 seconds. Updated the effects of this trap to cull less frequently.
Procession of Blades: Updated the effects of this trap to cull less frequently.
Piercing Light: The daze duration of this trait has been reduced from 1 second to 0.5 seconds. The daze from this trait is no longer unblockable when used with Test of Faith.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Dragonhunter is a bit nerfed. The daze on traps is halved, test of faith does less damage and dragons maw barrier is larger and lasts less time. Wings of resolve is slicker. That's basically it.

Medis have so much condi cleanse though :allears:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Doesn't look like it at all.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Mesmer

Feedback: This skill is now ground targeted and no longer requires a target.

This is how this skill should have been from the beginning. I always hated having to target one dude in WvW and have him move at the last second.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron Snow posted:

Dragonhunter

Wings of Resolve: This skill is no longer affected by movement-altering effects, such as cripple and swiftness. It also no longer queues and will activate immediately when possible.
Test of Faith: The initial damage of this skill has been reduced from 66% of the trap’s full damage to 50%, for a damage reduction of 25%. Updated the effects of this trap to cull less frequently.
Dragon’s Maw: Increased the barrier radius from 90 to 120. Reduced barrier duration from 6 seconds to 4 seconds. Updated the effects of this trap to cull less frequently.
Procession of Blades: Updated the effects of this trap to cull less frequently.
Piercing Light: The daze duration of this trait has been reduced from 1 second to 0.5 seconds. The daze from this trait is no longer unblockable when used with Test of Faith.

MooCowlian posted:

Dragonhunter is a bit nerfed. The daze on traps is halved, test of faith does less damage and dragons maw barrier is larger and lasts less time. Wings of resolve is slicker. That's basically it.

Hah these are great. The daze nerf isn't a nerf because the correct use for that trait is for traps as an interrupt, not a daze. I expected the light sword barrier to get nerfed, other than that looks like I'm good to go as trap griefer still.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

"Thank you for purchasing HoT, Rev will now be nerfed into the ground and warrior back on top."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Jesus christ Rev got dumpstered

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Rev sword aa is still pretty traumatising. Don't worry.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

quote:

Fixed an issue in which players could stand on the roof of the Mossman’s hut to avoid damage in the Swampland fractal.
RIP swinging at air high level fractals.

quote:

The Oni Blade can now be obtained from the Mystic Forge.
Time to make the new Hanzo steel.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Magres posted:

Jesus christ Rev got dumpstered

At least they have that whole not being mesmers thing to be positive about.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

malhavok posted:

Yeah my first character was a mesmer, also the only one I don't have at 80.

siddy
Jul 27, 2010

malhavok posted:

Yep. I main a mesmer that'll likely be sitting out until the next balance patch.

I'm watching the rev with sword on twitch right now and the DPS is still fine. Condi builds are still great as well.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

quote:

Fixed an issue that allowed players to skip the Molten Effigy boss in the Molten Boss fractal.

Whelp

Probably still a good gold farm, but this definitely like halves the gold from it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Search and Rescue”: This skill has been reworked. It now commands your pet to teleport a nearby fallen ally to your location and then begin reviving them while granting regeneration to allies.

Aww Yissssss. Coupled with the various changes that give extra rewards for a rez this is going to work out very nicely indeed for all concerned.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I certainly hope so, since they previewed basically nothing and these quarterly balance patches are supposed to be (in their own words) "meant to shake up the meta".
I will probably quote my own post here on Tuesday or maybe even later today when they do the preview and it turns out that this post-expansion balance patch we've had to wait several months for is really small and doesn't actually change anything.

Apparently they're literally never going to do that thief pistol rework like they said they would. Also not a *single* change for druids.

And the warrior axe changes are alright I guess but as long as the axe trait is a grandmaster that competes with berserker's power I'm not going to take it over greatsword.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Gliding is soooo nice.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Is it possible to do weird hybrid builds in this game like with condition damage / healing power together?

If so, do they stack up at all with focused builds or is it like most MMOs where that's not the case and you lose out to raw power every time.

If not, why do items like Shaman's Armor (Vitality/Condition Damage/Healing) even exist? I've been trying to get a better grasp on gearing and talenting my character so it's both something I enjoy but also something that is effective and useful. There seem to be an enormous number of armor types that almost no one uses or recommends and I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to even attempt something.

I like the Condition damage Revenant and the Tablet healing Revenant and it seems like it would be pretty impossible to fit those two things into one effective build.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Those only look like warrior buffs to people who have no idea what warriors do. Nothing was buffed enough to make it competitive to GS/Phalanx Strength, and Burnzerker was nerfed into the ground. So Warriors are back to being Might sources in PVE and being irrelevant in PVP.

e: Tempest Stacking is the way to go for all PVE raid content, and they also happen to be really good in PVP too.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 26, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Libertine posted:

Is it possible to do weird hybrid builds in this game like with condition damage / healing power together?

If so, do they stack up at all with focused builds or is it like most MMOs where that's not the case and you lose out to raw power every time.

If not, why do items like Shaman's Armor (Vitality/Condition Damage/Healing) even exist? I've been trying to get a better grasp on gearing and talenting my character so it's both something I enjoy but also something that is effective and useful. There seem to be an enormous number of armor types that almost no one uses or recommends and I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to even attempt something.

I like the Condition damage Revenant and the Tablet healing Revenant and it seems like it would be pretty impossible to fit those two things into one effective build.

Shaman/Magi/Zealot exists as non-Toughness Healing Power gear for raids. Druid and Tempest only really.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
also lol Mesmers too:

Chronomancer:
Well of Precognition: This well no longer grants invulnerability. It instead grants 3 seconds of aegis with every pulse.
Alacrity: The effects of this buff have been reduced from 66% recharge reduction to 33% recharge reduction.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Magres posted:

Whelp

Probably still a good gold farm, but this definitely like halves the gold from it

why does it halve the gold? The effigy is a joke fight that lasts maybe a minute even on higher rank fractals and it drops a chest.

I read that patch note as "loving finally" because I'm tired of people skipping the boss, it barely saves any time and I miss out on moneys from the chest

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

scrapper took a big hit in pvp because of the trait reorder. you can no longer take both adaptive armour and the trait that adds stability to your stomp, making function gyro pretty goddamn useless since a wet fart will now push it away

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kenshin posted:

why does it halve the gold? The effigy is a joke fight that lasts maybe a minute even on higher rank fractals and it drops a chest.

I read that patch note as "loving finally" because I'm tired of people skipping the boss, it barely saves any time and I miss out on moneys from the chest

Because if you do the skip you can finish the fractal (and get to the actually good loot) in about two minutes or less, and the effigy and trash clearing fights take about another two minutes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really don't think finishing a fractal in 4 minutes instead of 2 will really be that much of a long-term issue.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Roof hut surfing being gone, well that's another issue

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really don't think finishing a fractal in 4 minutes instead of 2 will really be that much of a long-term issue.

It's not the end of the world by any means, but it does significantly cut down on how much gold you can make from it if you put together an optimized farming party.

Clearing the fractal (repeatedly) in 4 minutes instead of 2 minutes literally halves how much gold you make from it - over the course of an hour its the difference between 15 and 30 clears. It's a good change for the game because farming Molten Boss and skipping Effigy was vastly better every other source of gold in the game, but I'm still a little sad that it's gone cause I was trying to get my friends geared and motivated to do fractals so we could farm it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 26, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Apparently they're literally never going to do that thief pistol rework like they said they would. Also not a *single* change for druids.

And the warrior axe changes are alright I guess but as long as the axe trait is a grandmaster that competes with berserker's power I'm not going to take it over greatsword.

I honestly think anet regrets giving thief dual pistols. They clearly want thief to be powerful in melee but less of a threat at ranged combat. There's no other reason to be pointedly buffing melee autoattacks and ignoring shortbow/pistols.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I honestly think anet regrets giving thief dual pistols. They clearly want thief to be powerful in melee but less of a threat at ranged combat. There's no other reason to be pointedly buffing melee autoattacks and ignoring shortbow/pistols.

Shortbow at least has excellent utility. If they really are stumbling over thieves being effective in ranged combat, they need to give mainhand pistol utility too.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think general incompetence is a reason that also has a good deal of evidence backing it. Perhaps it's both.

They don't have to increase damage necessarily (though it would be great if pistol auto attack did more than shortbow, since shortbow still bounces) to make pistol usable. Main hand pistol has no mobility or evasion or any kind of utility which is way out of character for thief.

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 26, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Thoughts on patch notes:

Ele: barely play either, no idea how changes will effect open world PvE, guess is not much. Looks to be a significant shakeup to PvP/raid functionality? Fresh Air buff owns.

Engie: slight buffs for lovely traits for base engie, scrapper has stealth gyro nerfed, guessing these are all PvP/raid focused again.

Guard: some nice buffs to base guard skills/traits. DH traps with some minor nerfs. Overall probably a net positive.

Mes: a wash on base skills/traits, maybe a bit negative with chaos armor losing blind. Chrono is effectively dead for raids, but basically nothing here changes my playstyle for my mesmers. RIP anyone who plays them seriously, tho.

Necro: all buffs, reaper supremacy forever.

Ranger: all buffs, mostly mediocre, shouts might actually be viable now? No Druid updates? Seriously?

Rev: RIP rev sword. RIP constant 3x 20k CoR crits on teq. Still a great tagging skill, will probably still use hammer/staff on my 80 rev for open world.

Thief: melee damage buffs for sword and staff. The rest: :shrug:

Warrior: RIP burnzerker. Mega axe/axe buffs :black101: Time to pull Salsa out of storage. Hammer/rifle buffs as well? Still not enough to shift the GS meta.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

So wait do I have to respec my warrior now? Where do I go to cry to anet to get them to undo this travesty?

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Schpyder posted:

RIP rev sword.

Rev Sword is still the best DPS weapon.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mizuti posted:

Shortbow at least has excellent utility. If they really are stumbling over thieves being effective in ranged combat, they need to give mainhand pistol utility too.

Pretend I quoted Baron too since he basically said the same thing. Yeah I hesitated before putting shortbow in that post since it has always been more utility than damage, but I definitely feel like anet is moving away from ranged thief on purpose.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

Hey gooms, I just got another alt up to 80, so you know what that means. It's HoT HP train time! I'd like to get as productive a one going as possible, so please let me know what time would work best for you all. I'm thinking maybe like 9 PM EST tomorrow or Wednesday?

Oh sweet, I still have dragonhunter and scrapper to pull through. I don't care what day you do it, just mention it in the thread when you decide otherwise I'll miss it probably.

But hey life blast now pierces by default, and rangers got a bunch of buffs. :toot:

So, as for mesmer I don't see why anyone should be upset at the invincibility well being changed as that is pretty op. Everything else though, yeah.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Oh sweet, I still have dragonhunter and scrapper to pull through. I don't care what day you do it, just mention it in the thread when you decide otherwise I'll miss it probably.

But hey life blast now pierces by default, and rangers got a bunch of buffs. :toot:

So, as for mesmer I don't see why anyone should be upset at the invincibility well being changed as that is pretty op. Everything else though, yeah.

I've got a dragonhunter to pull through, so I'll be online at 9pm eastern this evening to see if it's happening. :)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kenshin posted:

I've got a dragonhunter to pull through, so I'll be online at 9pm eastern this evening to see if it's happening. :)

I have a Berserker and a Tempest that I will probably never bother pulling through. I've fully unlocked all the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Cutedge posted:

So wait do I have to respec my warrior now? Where do I go to cry to anet to get them to undo this travesty?

You just respec it into Phalanx Strength for PVE where you wear all Berserker, ANet really shaking up the Meta for warrior PVE builds by putting it back to where it has been for nearly 2 years :P Warrior is the most disappointing thing because nothing has changed - none of those changes to other skills does anything to make them viable in PVE content compared to other options. The axe buff is just a buff to the GS | Axe/Mace Phalanx Strength warrior that has been meta forever. Its just boring crap when they promised things would be interesting.

Now for PVP, you respec into any other class. Probably Reaper, looking at the way things stand now.

The nerf to Berserker Stance also really hurts because Consume Boons can just eat the Resistance and replace it with Chill. Whoop de woo. Its no Diamond Skin, thats for sure.

Reaper is going to be crazy good in PVP for a while. Off the top of my head and the wiki, Boon Corrupt x 2 on dagger 2, AoE Boon Corrupt on dagger 5 (Weakening Shroud proc). Also, the Spiteful Spirit proc no longer has a recharge longer than shroud; you could spec for 2x AoE Boon Corrupts with shroud, which will make group battles hilarious thats for sure.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 26, 2016

• Locked thread