Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

What is scorpion and why are 10 million people watching it

It's too bad Scorpion didn't air at the same time as X-Files, then I could believe that Doggett had gone rogue and was working against his former colleagues.

Actually thinking on that, other than the series finale, do Doggett and Mulder ever meet? I just remember Scully constantly bringing up Mulder to Doggett and him clearly not caring a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Apoplexy posted:

Speculatory article on International Business Times says that the ratings explosion could mean more X-Files. Let us hope. Or, if you will, I WANT TO BELIEVE

:gizz:

Unless David or Gillian won't do it I don't see how Fox would pass. It's literally just starting X-Files over again, with audience, cast, and writers excited again.

edit: just read that the actors will surely do it so it seems pretty much in Fox's court.

“We have a show that can be comedy, drama, science fiction, mystery, thriller, horror and not feel like it’s a different show,” Duchovny elaborated. “Doing six is maybe not enough to show that flexibility, so maybe we have more to do. I don’t know, we’ll see. Having gone through it again, I think we’re all okay with moving forward with more. I don’t want to speak for everyone, but I would.”

“It’s possible but not probable,” Anderson chimed in. “It will be an ongoing conversation. We have to see how it does and if people are enthusiastic about it and have the same interest. I think it’s all dependent on that.”

I'd have to think Fox would be loving insane to not want more, but make sure to tune in to the TV broadcasts. Networks are weird.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 26, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My ideal scenario is they bring back the show for like 8-10 episodes a year, with a structure like this:

- Two myth episodes a season, if they must
- One Darin Morgan and/or Vince Gilligan episode a season
- One Wong & (Glen) Morgan episode a season
- For the rest of each season, let new and promising writers take a crack at it. I want to see what someone who's not part of the 'old guard' would do with the show.

I think this formula would work pretty well and they could keep doing this each year as long as everyone was into it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The first episode felt like pure nostalgia (not necessarily a bad thing), but the second was more a return to form.

I am insanely hyped about the Darrin Morgan episode.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a old people procedural show that pretends to show NEW and DANGEROUS uses for technology. The pilot had a commercial jetliner flying 50 feet above the ground so that they could snake an ethernet cord out to the show's computerman hero's laptop who was racing behind the plane in a sports car because hackers. Another episode had bad guys hacking (???) an RV to drive off a cliff and the heroPCman had to do something computer to the RV by laying on a skateboard underneath the RV as it was driving. Robert Patrick stars.

My parents love it.

This sounds awesome actually

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a old people procedural show that pretends to show NEW and DANGEROUS uses for technology. The pilot had a commercial jetliner flying 50 feet above the ground so that they could snake an ethernet cord out to the show's computerman hero's laptop who was racing behind the plane in a sports car because hackers. Another episode had bad guys hacking (???) an RV to drive off a cliff and the heroPCman had to do something computer to the RV by laying on a skateboard underneath the RV as it was driving. Robert Patrick stars.

My parents love it.

Also it's "based on a true story" and the guy it's based off of is an executive producer so it's basically fanfic about what a badass he is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slate Action posted:

- For the rest of each season, let new and promising writers take a crack at it. I want to see what someone who's not part of the 'old guard' would do with the show.

Aside from the lack of Vince Gilligan, this is my big regret about the writing crew on the miniseries. I wanted to see what someone who career-wise came of age watching The X-Files and was influenced by it have a shot at it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually thinking on that, other than the series finale, do Doggett and Mulder ever meet? I just remember Scully constantly bringing up Mulder to Doggett and him clearly not caring a lot.

Yes, they did meet in season 8 episodes. One of them is just the two of them stuck in an oil rig.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Omg its Abigail from Hannibal!

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I refuse to watch Scorpion because the title is stylized as </scorpion>

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Relatively new to X-Files, started watching the new episodes and was not impressed. Is the editing generally this poor in prior seasons?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fromsinkingsands posted:

Relatively new to X-Files, started watching the new episodes and was not impressed. Is the editing generally this poor in prior seasons?

Yes. Whatever you do, skip the pilot, best season is 7. You can start there really.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Going back a few pages, people were saying that the UFO crash wasn't Roswell - didn't it explicitly state "Roswell, 1947?"

Actually, it didn't. It said something like "High Mountain Desert, North Western New Mexico."

The problem is Roswell is Eastern NM, and the original Roswell crash site was actually up by Capitan, IIRC, which is still Eastern NM, but a little more central. I mean, this could easily be a production error, so not sure it's worth reading anything into it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MariusLecter posted:

Yes. Whatever you do, skip the pilot, best season is 7. You can start there really.

Do not listen to forums poster MariusLecter. First three seasons are perfect, even the mythology stuff. If you decide to skip around, find a guide that tells you what's a mythology episode and what's a monster of the week so that you don't end up watching the end of a two parter (there's lots of those).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do not listen to forums poster MariusLecter. First three seasons are perfect, even the mythology stuff. If you decide to skip around, find a guide that tells you what's a mythology episode and what's a monster of the week so that you don't end up watching the end of a two parter (there's lots of those).

The first six and a half seasons are good to great. Watch until the One Son two parter. After that the myth-arc goes off the rails completely, though there are still a few good motws.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Man, X Files is the only show that ever seems to get psychic powers right and make them drat terrifying.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Everyone will have a slightly different version of this, but for someone trying to get into The X-Files, I'd recommend starting at Season 1 and watching, at the bare minimum:

Pilot
Deep Throat
Squeeze
Ice
Fallen Angel
Eve
Beyond the Sea
E.B.E.
Darkness Falls
Tooms
The Erlenmeyer Flask

These are all from Season 1. If you get all the way through this list, it's safe to say you like the show.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fromsinkingsands posted:

For goodness sake don't watch Squeeze of Tooms! These people have been drinking the x-files conspiracy koolaid, if you catch my meaning.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MariusLecter posted:

For goodness sake don't watch Squeeze of Tooms! These people have been drinking the x-files conspiracy koolaid, if you catch my meaning.

I've known a couple people that only got into X-files after it went on netflix, and they got majorly creeped out by Tooms. Obv, just anecdotal but still a data point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Reminder that Tooms is so creepy... because he is creepy in real life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mC37YO9yFM

"WHAT CAN A 51 YEAR OLD MAN... SEE IN A 16 YEAR OLD GIRL?"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MariusLecter posted:

?? Those episodes are awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Regardless of the real dude, Tooms is a great episode and character. If he creeps you out that much, then The X-Files probably isn't for you.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Tooms episodes are great, especially when he gets killed with the escalator.

I was three or four when I caught a glimpse of that on the tv. poo poo hosed me up in the best way.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've seen up though the first half of S08E01, and last night's episode got me itching to watch some more X-Files. What are the season 8 and 9 episodes that are worth watching?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

lelandjs posted:

So I've seen up though the first half of S08E01, and last night's episode got me itching to watch some more X-Files. What are the season 8 and 9 episodes that are worth watching?

-Season 8-

Without
Patience
Roadrunners
The Gift
This Is Not Happening
Dead Alive
Three Words
Vienen
Alone
Essence
Existence

-Season 9-

John Doe

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 26, 2016

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i was super excited to learn about new x-files. x-files was MY drat JAM back when i was a high school kid but i fell off i guess around after the x-files movie. anyway, the first new x-files was really weird because it referenced characters and things that i guess i missed? like that old doctor guy who mulder was talking to? and they were info dumping like crazy about the REAL conspiracy. it was kind of funny when they referenced FEMA camps, because that was a very zeitgeist-y 90s bogeyman, but in this ~post 9/11 world~ whenever i think FEMA i think of gwb going 'heckuva job brownie" like FEMA is a sad old joke and pinnacle of government apathy and negligence so seeing that pop up was like "oh boy" (but what if that's what they want me to think :tinfoil:).

like, i didn't even know that mulder and scully even had a kid. yikes. i missed a lot by falling off x-files. but then it turns out that all those alien hybrids and abductions actually weren't real??? i mean i watched the x-files movie and i remember mulder and scully goign to the antarctic and seeing a ship as big as an office building so???? i guess it was all a prop by the government? and also that bill o'reilly guy has a alien/human spaceship in a warehouse that has GRAVITY WARP??? what the gently caress is gravity warp?? how does mulder know a thing has gravity warp just by looking at it? did he take an advanced astrophysics class in a later season? so the first ep was very weird to me. don't know if starting off with some big exposition about the conspiracy and their relationship was the best way to re-introduce the series.

but then i see the second episode and crows are gathering ominously in fields dudes are stabbing their brains with letter openers and blood is pouring out of all their face holes and mulder and scully are being throw around by telekinesis and YUP THEM FILES ARE MIGHTY X SIR. i liked it.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 26, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Regardless of the real dude, Tooms is a great episode and character. If he creeps you out that much, then The X-Files probably isn't for you.

The scariest thing about Tooms is that he's married to a 16-year-old. And according to Kumail's podcast, he kept trying to get Gillian Anderson to go back to his hotel room to "celebrate her birthday." I assume he has a way of saying that phrase that communicates the scare quotes aurally.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you want to check out old X-Files, you should look at a list of eps from seasons 6 and 7 and pick out the ones with the absolute silliest synopses. Body swaps, genies, Christmas ghosts, alien baseball players, a COPS themed episode, Bermuda triangle time travel... that's the stuff.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i was super excited to learn about new x-files. x-files was MY drat JAM back when i was a high school kid but i fell off i guess around after the x-files movie. anyway, the first new x-files was really weird because it referenced characters and things that i guess i missed? like that old doctor guy who mulder was talking to? and they were info dumping like crazy about the REAL conspiracy. it was kind of funny when they referenced FEMA camps, because that was a very zeitgeist-y 90s bogeyman, but in this ~post 9/11 world~ whenever i think FEMA i think of gwb going 'heckuva job brownie" like FEMA is a sad old joke and pinnacle of government apathy and negligence so seeing that pop up was like "oh boy" (but what if that's what they want me to think :tinfoil:).

I believe there is a current strain of tinfoil that believes in FEMA camps built under abandoned WalMarts.

Jack Gladney posted:

The scariest thing about Tooms is that he's married to a 16-year-old. And according to Kumail's podcast, he kept trying to get Gillian Anderson to go back to his hotel room to "celebrate her birthday." I assume he has a way of saying that phrase that communicates the scare quotes aurally.

He is a creepy, creepy man but the former child bride turns 22 this year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I believe there is a current strain of tinfoil that believes in FEMA camps built under abandoned WalMarts.

I'll bet you could hide an entire fleet of black helicopters in an abandoned WalMart!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AbstractNapper posted:

First episode had condensed all the stuff that had grown to annoy me or even make me hate the X-files.

Condensed them all and enhanced them by a factor of ten - but you could still see the writers trying to keep the conspiracy-focus stuff dumbed down - Mulder and McHale's character go on far too long rants that come off as borderline nonsense with Zeitgest-levels of jumping to conclusions with thin (or conveniently interpreted) evidence tying together all sorts of events, but in the end the same thing gets stressed "international syndicate of men uses alien tech to take over world". Which is basically what happens (to me at least) when Mulder goes on a tangeant in most of the old X-files episodes; He typically begins with a "what if" and the rest is a series of quickly spoken sentences which you may or more likely may not make sense of (it weighs in that the logic is usually too far fetched), but there is a main point in there somewhere - which sometimes gets repeated in a more straight forward fashion by another character and most of the times you already got an idea of what "theory" the episode would follow. But this time... it was a longer tangeant and a much too stretched theory (especially given how asserted they were when talking about it) in a generally weak in atmosphere and tone episode. Or maybe it's more like I'd like to be reminded of the good stuff of the series before getting back again to the annoying ones.

Also the dialogue especially between Scully and Mulder felt shallow. Plus, there seemed to be something wrong with the pacing because as others have commented, McHale's characret kept teleporting all over the place and was in every other scene.

Second episode is so much better. The dialogue, the humor, the characters chemistry, they are all so much better here. It's this episode that makes me want to go back and re-watch the series - or at least my favorite moments of it.

I hope at the end its revealed that the conspiracy guy is just a stooge because hahaha they already control the world.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also the x files made me reread some of a book i have on mkultra and now im feeling a little down

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...epage&q&f=false
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uneth...e_United_States

quote:

In 1957, with funding from a CIA front organization, Dr. Ewen Cameron of the Allan Memorial Institute in Montreal, Canada began MKULTRA Subproject 68.[131] His experiments were designed to first "depattern" individuals, erasing their minds and memories—reducing them to the mental level of an infant—and then to "rebuild" their personality in a manner of his choosing.[132] To achieve this, Cameron placed patients under his "care" into drug-induced comas for up to 88 days, and applied numerous high voltage electric shocks to them over the course of weeks or months, often administering up to 360 shocks per person. He would then perform what he called "psychic driving" experiments on the subjects, where he would repetitively play recorded statements, such as "You are a good wife and mother and people enjoy your company", through speakers he had implanted into blacked-out football helmets that he bound to the heads of the test subjects (for sensory deprivation purposes). The patients could do nothing but listen to these messages, played for 16–20 hours a day, for weeks at a time. In one case, Cameron forced a person to listen to a message non-stop for 101 days.[132] Using CIA funding, Cameron converted the horse stables behind Allan Memorial into an elaborate isolation and sensory deprivation chamber where he kept patients locked in for weeks at a time.[132] Cameron also induced insulin comas in his subjects by giving them large injections of insulin, twice a day, for up to two months at a time.[113] Several of the children who Cameron experimented on were sexually abused, in at least one case by several men. One of the children was filmed numerous times performing sexual acts with high-ranking federal government officials, in a scheme set up by Cameron and other MKULTRA researchers, to blackmail the officials to ensure further funding for the experiments.[133]

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
The Tooms episode also really hosed me up when I was a kid. It ended up being the main reason I stopped watching and didn't come back to it until the recent news. I'll check out the suggested list. I know A.V. club just posted an article as well for top 10 episodes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The first episode really felt like an "Oh poo poo how do we do this again?" thing to me. Like watching a guitar player pick up a guitar for the first time in years. Episode two hit it's stride much, much better. And yeah the MKULTRA stuff just reminds me that conspiracy theorists can never truly come up with something as completely hosed as real deal cover ups

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The first episode really felt like an "Oh poo poo how do we do this again?" thing to me. Like watching a guitar player pick up a guitar for the first time in years. Episode two hit it's stride much, much better. And yeah the MKULTRA stuff just reminds me that conspiracy theorists can never truly come up with something as completely hosed as real deal cover ups

Yeah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States#Radioactive_iodine_experiments

quote:

In 1953, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) ran several studies at the University of Iowa on the health effects of radioactive iodine in newborns and pregnant women. In one study, researchers gave pregnant women from 100 to 200 microcuries (3.7 to 7.4 MBq) of iodine-131, in order to study the women's aborted embryos in an attempt to discover at what stage, and to what extent, radioactive iodine crosses the placental barrier. In another study, they gave 25 newborn babies (who were under 36 hours old and weighed from 5.5 to 8.5 pounds (2.5 to 3.9 kg)) iodine-131, either by oral administration or through an injection, so that they could measure the amount of iodine in their thyroid glands, as iodine would go to that gland.[60]

In another AEC study, researchers at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine fed iodine-131 to 28 healthy infants through a gastric tube to test the concentration of iodine in the infants' thyroid glands.[60]

In 1953, the AEC sponsored a study to discover if radioactive iodine affected premature babies differently from full-term babies. In the experiment, researchers from Harper Hospital in Detroit orally administered iodine-131 to 65 premature and full-term infants who weighed from 2.1 to 5.5 pounds (0.95 to 2.49 kg).[60]

From 1955 to 1960, Sonoma State Hospital in northern California served as a permanent drop-off location for mentally handicapped children diagnosed with cerebral palsy or lesser disorders. The children subsequently underwent painful experimentation without adult consent. Many were given irradiated milk, some spinal taps "for which they received no direct benefit." Reporters of 60 Minutes learned that in these five years, the brain of every child with cerebral palsy who died at Sonoma State was removed and studied without parental consent. According to the CBS story, over 1,400 patients died at the clinic.[61]

Experiments involving other radioactive materials

Immediately after World War II, researchers at Vanderbilt University gave 829 pregnant mothers in Tennessee what they were told were "vitamin drinks" that would improve the health of their babies. The mixtures contained radioactive iron and the researchers were determining how fast the radioisotope crossed into the placenta. At least three children are known to have died from the experiments, from cancers and leukemia.[72][73] Four of the women's babies died from cancers as a result of the experiments, and the women experienced rashes, bruises, anemia, hair/tooth loss, and cancer.[57]

From 1946 to 1953, at the Walter E. Fernald State School in Massachusetts, in an experiment sponsored by the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission and the Quaker Oats corporation, 73 mentally disabled children were fed oatmeal containing radioactive calcium and other radioisotopes, in order to track "how nutrients were digested". The children were not told that they were being fed radioactive chemicals; they were told by hospital staff and researchers that they were joining a "science club".[72][74][75][76]

The University of California Hospital in San Francisco exposed 29 patients, some with rheumatoid arthritis, to total body irradiation (100-300 rad dose) to obtain data for the military.[77]

In the 1950s, researchers at the Medical College of Virginia performed experiments on severe burn victims, most of them poor and black, without their knowledge or consent, with funding from the Army and in collaboration with the AEC. In the experiments, the subjects were exposed to additional burning, experimental antibiotic treatment, and injections of radioactive isotopes. The amount of radioactive phosphorus-32 injected into some of the patients, 500 microcuries (19 MBq), was 50 times the "acceptable" dose for a healthy individual; for people with severe burns, this likely led to significantly increased death rates.[78][79]

In another study at the Walter E. Fernald State School, in 1956, researchers gave mentally disabled children radioactive calcium orally and intravenously. They also injected radioactive chemicals into malnourished babies and then pushed needles through their skulls, into their brains, through their necks, and into their spines to collect cerebrospinal fluid for analysis.[76][83]

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 26, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Slate Action posted:

Ratings predictably fell by about 50% from Sunday, but this is very strong for a Monday night.

1) Who the gently caress is watching Supergirl? People who leave their TVs on one channel?

2) The fact that X-Files did that well against known hard to beat The Bachelor is pretty amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Castor Poe posted:

-Season 8-

Without
Patience
Roadrunners
The Gift
This Is Not Happening
Dead Alive
Three Words
Vienen
Alone
Essence
Existence

-Season 9-

John Doe

Season 9 also has Sunshine Days

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How come someone hasn't made a gif/screenshot of Bigface McGee shovelling food into its enormous face yet? From the mutant children walk-by scene.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I want to do an X-Files re-watch but I really don't want to go through every episode. Is there a "mandatory episodes guide" or something people would recommend? I see a few for select seasons in this thread but I'm looking for something more comprehensive. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mr. unhsib posted:

I want to do an X-Files re-watch but I really don't want to go through every episode. Is there a "mandatory episodes guide" or something people would recommend? I see a few for select seasons in this thread but I'm looking for something more comprehensive. Thanks.

Its hard to do it since there is the mythology episodes that go to poo poo after the end of the syndicate and then the monsters of the week episodes. There are a few that most everyone agree are great or trash, but there is a lot of that depend on personal taste.

• Locked thread