Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's aughtmaDogma: If one of your pawns is ko'd and you take a bit to reviving them another one of your pawns will pick them up and chuck them at you. More games should let you chuck ko'd party members at the healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fumaofthelake posted:

Somewhat related is how you can revisit all the npcs after winning a True Pacifist run like at the end of Earthbound. I always thought more games should do that.

I really like that. Especially when you can see all the results of what you've done. Hell, in Earthbound it's the only way to actually hear what your bicycle sounds like underwater.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

Dragon's aughtmaDogma: If one of your pawns is ko'd and you take a bit to reviving them another one of your pawns will pick them up and chuck them at you. More games should let you chuck ko'd party members at the healer.

My jaw just about dropped the first time I saw this happen. I was too busy chopping up a wyvern's heart to revive one of my pawns, so another pawn just hauls him over to me because they can't revive each other, but they know that you can. Dragon's dogma manages to have the worst and best friendly AI I've ever seen at the same time.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I really like that. Especially when you can see all the results of what you've done. Hell, in Earthbound it's the only way to actually hear what your bicycle sounds like underwater.
When do you go underwater in Earthbound? I can't picture it. I know there are underwater segments in Mother 3, but no bicycle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Playing Dead Rising 3 and in spite of the trailer that tried to make the game appeal to Call of Duty crowd it's the goofiest entry yet and I love it. I just fought a boss battle against a guy in a spacesuit who flies around on a jetpack throwing miniature planets at you and I beat him with a gun that shoots dildos and gloves that let you shoot Force Lightning.

Also at one point in the story you have to go to a funeral home and the funeral that was being held before the zombie outbreak happened was for Otis, the rear end in a top hat janitor from Dead Rising 1.

Hirayuki posted:

When do you go underwater in Earthbound? I can't picture it. I know there are underwater segments in Mother 3, but no bicycle.

The Deep Darkness swamp.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Gestalt Intellect posted:

My jaw just about dropped the first time I saw this happen. I was too busy chopping up a wyvern's heart to revive one of my pawns, so another pawn just hauls him over to me because they can't revive each other, but they know that you can. Dragon's dogma manages to have the worst and best friendly AI I've ever seen at the same time.

Wolves hunt in packs!

Their kind ill likes fire!

Wolves hunt in packs!

And that damned tree. I loved that game but if you had a pawn with you that someone didn't tell to be quiet it was the most irritating thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you skip the credits in the last episode of Tales from the Borderlands it says ( ? ) That's it, you're going on our Wall of Shame. in the spot in the corner where it usually says 'x will remember this'. :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

In Tales of Zestiria, you can press a button to advance cutscenes. Not skip, but advance - so you can advance through a line of dialogue, or skip a single scene in which someone is just on screen but not saying anything, and get to the next camera shot. I wish all games let you do this.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
In Animal Crossing New Leaf, you can travel from your town to a summer island by boat. The creature that transports you is called Kapp'n, and he sings little songs on the way there and the way back. If you need to get back to town quickly to sell all the fish and bugs you caught, you can hammer at the B button, and he'll make a comment about you being in a hurry, then you'll automatically arrive at your town without having to listen to his entire song.

It's a nice little skip over something that's enjoyable, but sometimes annoying and/or time-consuming.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I know there's been a lot of talk about Deus Ex in this thread, so I thought I'd let anyone who's interested know that it's a free Xbox game with gold for the rest of the month. It's for 360, but if you download it from microsoft.com, you can play it on your XBone!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

If you skip the credits in the last episode of Tales from the Borderlands it says ( ? ) That's it, you're going on our Wall of Shame. in the spot in the corner where it usually says 'x will remember this'. :allears:

There's a different message for skipping the credits in each episode.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I just picked up Dragon's Dogma, and I love how it manages to hit a perfect blend of simplicity and expansiveness in character creation. I love games that let me make and play my own character, but most of them either don't go hard enough and give me too few tools to be satisfied with, or go way too far in the other direction and drown me in sliders that I can't tell the difference between.

Dragon's Dogma hits a great middle point. There's a lot of options for what nose you want, but you can see and compare them all at a glance. There are sliders, but there aren't many and it's really clear what they do. The end result is that you can make a nicely distinct character but don't have to worry about neck back depth, I could make a character I was happy with in less than ten minutes. And then it let me do it again for my main supporting character!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I beat The Deadly Tower of Monsters last night, and though the gameplay itself is a fairly mediocre beat-em-up romp, the game has a lot of charms that made me keep playing it.

The first is the set-up. See, this isn't a game you're playing, this is an old sci-fi movie from the 40s that you're watching after it was re-released on DVD. So they have a special director commentary track talking about making the 'movie', the actor reactions, how he saved money, etc. Also you can tell when they used actors for monsters and when they didn't, since the non-actor monsters are stop-motioned creatures.

Oh, and the premise of the game is that you're climbing a tower. In most games, this means going up floor after floor of monsters, stepping outside every now and then to go 'woah, I'm way high up' before entering the tower once more. In this game, the entire game, save for a few rooms, takes place outside. So everything you've accomplished is always visible beneath you. And if you want, at any time you can jump off an sail downwards to check out an older area, fly through some hoops, find secrets, whatever. By the end of the game you're pretty much in space, and the curve of the entire planet is visible to you, essentially the entire game viewable in a single camera angle. It's pretty cool, and impressive that they can keep that entire design going throughout the whole game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've been playing the original 1989 Tex Murphy and one of my favorite things about it is the Taste command which serves almost no other purpose except having the game call you a gross weirdo in various ways, with the occasional game over when you use it on things like cyanide.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I beat The Deadly Tower of Monsters last night, and though the gameplay itself is a fairly mediocre beat-em-up romp, the game has a lot of charms that made me keep playing it.

I love ACE Team in theory but all their games end up like this. Abyss Odyssey was disappointing for how pretty it was :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's Dogma: The pawn learning is great, if you often jump around in combat your pawns starts doing it as well. If you chuck explosive barrels at enemeis your pawns will also start doing the same.

Unrelated to the above but I got picked up by a harpy and when it dropped me one of my pawns caught me before I hit the floor :3:

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

Leal posted:

Dragon's Dogma: The pawn learning is great, if you often jump around in combat your pawns starts doing it as well. If you chuck explosive barrels at enemeis your pawns will also start doing the same.
gently caress that stupid AI because I tried to do that near the beginning but my aim was poo poo and I kept throwing the barrels at them and now they never stop throwing barrels at me during combat because I guess they're high school bullies and can never let go a grudge geeeeeez

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Random little details in GTA games. In Ballad of Gay Tony if you go to the Russian neighborhood random pedestrians will say "go away, we don't want you here!" And when you get in your car they say "yeah!!! Don't come back!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thin Privilege posted:

Random little details in GTA games. In Ballad of Gay Tony if you go to the Russian neighborhood random pedestrians will say "go away, we don't want you here!" And when you get in your car they say "yeah!!! Don't come back!"

This is when you slam on reverse and back over them a few times, right?

'Cause I do! :haw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how in World of Tanks once your tank has blown up they let you drop out of the battle but still get the rewards once it is over.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just finished the plot of Fantasy Life on the 3DS, and I love how there are no real villains, just misunderstandings. At one point the king of Castelle's assistant is behaving oddly around the doomstones turning monsters crazy, and you think he's performing experiments with them, and when you go to the mountain to save the Napdragon, who is panicking because her babies have all gone nuts due to a doomstone crashing into her nest, you are led to believe that the assistant is going to kill the Napdragon, which is not helped by the fact that all you hear when you arrive when he talks to his paladins is "...Napdragon...all that is necessary...kill.." The paladins soon expand on that - the full sentence was "We have to administer this sleep potion to the Napdragon. We shall do all that is necessary to save her, even is some of us are killed." Then, they hold the dragon off while you go into it's nest and destroy the stone.

There is also a nearby kingdom that is threatening war with Castelle, that is ruled by a guy called the Dark Sultan, over in the southern desert. You expect him to be the first real boss (as all you fight as bosses are the doomstones) but it's actually his son, the heir to the title of Dark Sultan, and he's a pretty nice guy. Due to tradition his mother is planning to sequester him away in an ancient tomb for a few years to learn the ways of the Dark Sultan, although she relents when she finds out he has friends that will miss him, and when you meet the original guy, it turns out this was a large magical prank war that was threatening to get out of hand. The Sultan turned the King of Castelle into a kid as a joke, so the King sealed him away in a statue and awaited his riposte. The Sultan was just too blind to notice that genuine tensions were developing between the civillians of both places, and after a scolding from his wife he decides to be more open about the nature of their game and be less of a manchild.

All the people are generally pretty nice, just dealing with political mishaps or old prejudices, and when they are resolved they are more than happy to work together to figure out how to stop the Doomstones, and the literal sky itself falling.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

BioEnchanted posted:

I just finished the plot of Fantasy Life on the 3DS, and I love how there are no real villains, just misunderstandings.

I've been replaying this, and I love this so much. It's such a nice, happy game. It's a great game to play when you're feeling down. :unsmith:

I'm also replaying Undertale. I get to a point in the game where a little musical thing happens where a character is singing to you, and since I've already seen this, I turn off the fullscreen so I can go read something else while it autoplays through the section and I can sort of pay attention to it on the side. As I tab out, I notice that the window for Undertale is no longer "UNDERTALE", it's now "UNDERTALE the Musical". Such a tiny little thing that I never would have noticed if I wasn't trying to ignore the game at the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Flowers posted:

I'm also replaying Undertale. I get to a point in the game where a little musical thing happens where a character is singing to you, and since I've already seen this, I turn off the fullscreen so I can go read something else while it autoplays through the section and I can sort of pay attention to it on the side. As I tab out, I notice that the window for Undertale is no longer "UNDERTALE", it's now "UNDERTALE the Musical". Such a tiny little thing that I never would have noticed if I wasn't trying to ignore the game at the time.

The game does that one other time, too. When you restart the game after Flowey shuts it down, the title is a garbled, constantly shifting mess until finally becoming FLOWEYTALE.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ending to the talos principle for climbing the tower was great. The other two endings were good, but the climax of climbing the tower was fantastic and the ending felt really thematically satisfying if you'd been paying attention to the setting. It would be a good game even without it, but not a lot of games can nail the ending.

But the best thing is, you can get the cat!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Digirat posted:

The ending to the talos principle for climbing the tower was great. The other two endings were good, but the climax of climbing the tower was fantastic and the ending felt really thematically satisfying if you'd been paying attention to the setting. It would be a good game even without it, but not a lot of games can nail the ending.

But the best thing is, you can get the cat!

Yeah, that whole sequence with The Shepard and Samsara helping/blocking you is loving amazing. The whole game was great, but the last half hour was bloody brilliant.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Flowers posted:

I've been replaying this, and I love this so much. It's such a nice, happy game. It's a great game to play when you're feeling down. :unsmith:

:shittypop:

This is amazing. Undertale is basically PYF little things in games: the Game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
At one point in Fallout 4, you can encounter the U.S.S. Constitution, retrofitted with rocket boosters and stuck for the past few years on top of a Savings and Loan.

It's run aground on a bank. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe one of the robots atop the ship comments on the irony of the situation if you chat them up.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Polaron posted:

At one point in Fallout 4, you can encounter the U.S.S. Constitution, retrofitted with rocket boosters and stuck for the past few years on top of a Savings and Loan.

It's run aground on a bank. :v:

I thought the bank thing was a supposed reference to The Crimson Permanent Assurance rather than a word joke.

Edit: Though, thats more likely to just be game nerds seeing Python references in everything.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is the dorkiest poo poo, but the OSTs for Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl are for, well, Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl, and so lack the tracks added for new content in Emerald and Platinum. That is not the little thing, that is an (incredibly :goonsay:) issue. What is a little is that they show up on Disc 4 of the OST for Pokemon Black/White 2, so you do have a way to get them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo! Everybody get into your cellars, hide under your doorframes, and get into your cars; we've got ourselves a punctuation storm!!!!

Also, in MGS5, the game celebrated my Boss' birthday. It was really sweet. :3:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The Houndmaster in Darkest Dungeon has a self-healing skill.

Not feeling so fresh after facing down mutant fishmen from the deep? Hug your doggy :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gitro posted:

The Houndmaster in Darkest Dungeon has a self-healing skill.

Not feeling so fresh after facing down mutant fishmen from the deep? Hug your doggy :3:

He also shields the dog when he gets attacked.

Nobody's hurting his doggy. :3:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

then he dies and it runs off to become one of the Rabid Gnashers you chop your way through in the Weald

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I like about both Metro games is that the very last bit of the game has you doing stuff for the military order you belong to and instead of making you pay money they just give you free ammo and whatever weapons/upgrades you want.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
All the little things in GTAV. Like Franklin hanging with both Lamar and Trevor and they're all yelling at each other. I'm maybe a lameo for liking the hanging out side games but they give extra info into the story plus the characters' opinions and ideas. Character development and all. Plus they have hilarious comments while drunk so you should always chose the drinking activity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's pretty cool that the main trio have conversations for almost all of the major plot breakpoint missions if you hang out with each other in free roam, even if it's just a couple lines per.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
In the new Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, your units have idle radio chatter, and it's pretty neat. There's some short ones, like mic checks, then longer ones like: (only heard this one once so paraphrased)

"Control, do we have any new info on those enemy speeders we saw last time?"
"Negative, also there was no contact on them, where did you get your info?"
"I was talking to the guys in recon."
"That's not protocol. You should be only getting your info from Command and Control."
"Yea, I know, but you guys are so need-to-know, and knowing what we're up against can give us an edge during engagements."
"Off the record, yea, I agree with you. Keep talking to your friends in recon... just don't ask Control about it."
"Roger, out."

"Engineering? This is [callsign]"
"Engineering here."
"All my enviro alarms just went red. It thinks we depressurized, but we're still breathing."
"...Stand by. ... [callsign], that's a known issue. There's no fix for it at this time."
"Are you serious right now?"
"Engineering out."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

a side note: don't activate the following genes: radioactivity (duh), mutagenic field (also duh), obesity (causes the monkey to become too fat for the sheet to cover it, so it beats you up), unstable refraction (you will never see your monkey again), booster genes (randomly activates genes). also it's generally a bad idea to activate spacial destabilization (your monkey will teleport away) unless you know what you're doing
PYF little things in games: (your monkey will teleport away)

edit: an escape shuttle with lots of butts in seats

Shinmera posted:

A productive roboticist/botanist round.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The little icon changes in Darkest Dungeon as you upgrade weapons or armour or buy a bigger food stack are neat. You go from shabby looking poo poo to impressive magic swords or higher quality skullcandles with glowing red eyes.

The way the background sounds get steadily more apparent/intimidating as the torchlight dies down is great, too. Subtle enough that I didn't notice it for a while, but it really ramps up once you drop under 50 light.