Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
gently caress, dude. Sorry about that, hope recovery is quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Partially torn bicep. gently caress off shoveling.

Lol.
I'm dealing with a tear in bicep belly since August; tendons are okay but there is a "pocket" in biceps center.
At least you didn't have a heart attack.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah fortunately the ortho says its partial, and the tendons are in tact, so surgery is "100% unnecessary" provided I don't do stupid poo poo and try to force my way into the gym to do arm curls (or shovel more). Just gonna do PT for a few weeks and he thinks it'll recover.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I feel like a dirty shitter for saying this, but the PRT exercises before lifting are actually helpful and cover everything except your hip abductors and flexors. I just do some ratations and leg swings for them. Please don't kill me for mentioning PRT.

You can stretch after those 12 motion exercises, but you'll get loose if you do ten reps of each one.

Sucks you tore your poo poo shoveling. I had to work for the town over the weekend and ended up doing about 18 hours of shoveling poo poo out. My back is sore as gently caress.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I had already been dealing with tennis elbow, so I think the over-exertion from shoveling just did it in. Just glad I don't need surgery (yet).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

*Static stretching is the devil when done before resistance training, don't unless you want to decrease your maximal and sub-maximal output by up to ~30% if I'm remembering the numbers right.

For lifting I loving love 5/3/1 warm-ups, it's based on your theoretical or if it's known then your actual training maxes. Take 90% of those maxes and do 40% of that resulting number for 5, 50% for 5, and 60% for 5 then move on to whatever you're doing. Those three sets are usually enough for the entire workout, but if you're doing two or more completely opposite kinds of movements (in my instance bench and then bicep assistance work) you might want to tack on another ~2 warm-up sets for those, given that while there's going to be a decent bit of the increased blood flow to the muscle that is needed and your connective tissues will be mostly warmed up, it's still probably not going to be firing quite on all cylinders yet.

If the whole 90%/40%/50%/60% poo poo makes your eyes glaze over, there's like 15 different 5/3/1 apps you can use that will retard-proof it.

I usually do the recommended warm-ups as per starting strength or 5x5 stronglifts. I stretch and do cardio afterwards.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Whip, you wouldn't have hurt yourself if you did crossfit.

jk here's to a speedy recovery.

Also is that you're jackin' arm? If so, then condolences.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It is :saddowns:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Stop jacking off so hard.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Partially torn bicep. gently caress off shoveling.

so thats what the kids call it nowadays huh

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Think of it as an opportunity rather than an impediment.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Honestly I dont even know what to say to Whip if "the stranger" isn't already part of his repertoire.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

What can I say, I know what I like

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Honestly I dont even know what to say to Whip if "the stranger" isn't already part of his repertoire.

Problem solved

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

Problem solved

seems like a good way to rip your dick off

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

seems like a good way to rip your dick off

the person doing it will no doubt shamelessly lay astride it on their living room floor, with great slabs of human fat holding the shakeweight roughly in place on all other sides save the one opening into a replica of misty stone's butthole to keep it from ripping their sloppy half-erect dick off

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
thats the bodybuilding.com forums so its 50/50 shot. they might be fat or they might have abused steroids so much that their dick doesnt work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

About to hit the gym (well, martial arts) for the first time in 9 months or so :stare:

Dat dad bod

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Dude, wth?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm honestly surprised at how much of my gains stuck around; I mean there's some tone under there...

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
my gayns

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

About to hit the gym (well, martial arts) for the first time in 9 months or so :stare:

Dat dad bod

you gonna be hurting in the morning.

rip n4d weekend

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
after two hours of bjj yesterday i'm sore as gently caress today. possibly because i haven't done poo poo for exercise in 5 years.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mike-o posted:

after two hours of bjj yesterday i'm sore as gently caress today. possibly because i haven't done poo poo for exercise in 5 years.

How does your jaw feel :boom:

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 30, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

you gonna be hurting in the morning.

rip n4d weekend

I have a pain in my chest and I can't breaf

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

probably better than your right arm.

Mike-o posted:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I have a pain in my chest and I can't breaf

Doing martial arts after a long break sucks, doing martial arts 5-7 days a week sucks but its the kind of suck that's rewarding and awesome in the long run so hang in there for a while dudes!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm a nurse, would be happy to give you mouth 2 mouth if you desire. If not then I have medicines that will make it easier for me to give you mouth 2 mouth. :bigtran:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

keep going I'm almost there

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

i dunno how does your dick feel

:wink:
:wmwink:

fully sick burn btw

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Pretty lonely the last few days, actually. :saddowns:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My pull-ups have come to a complete halt for the past two weeks. I've worked from 10 to 17 using the Armstrong Pullup method, but I am now completely at a point where after the 17th my upper body is dead and unable to go further.

My "money shot" is with underhand pull-ups or chin ups, but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to switch to the conventional pull-up method. I'm training both, and can knock out about 16 regulars.

I also haven't really incorporated anything aside from added weight to my workout routine. I suppose some bicep curls and lat pulldowns could get me past 17 but I can't find much beside "do a lot of volume with rest days" and "add weight"

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Have you tried: not being a bitch?? Heard it works.

Says the guy with the bum rear end arm.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wow, doing real cardio after an extended period loving sucks

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Have you tried: not being a bitch?? Heard it works.

Says the guy with the bum rear end arm.

I'm trying but I'm a very timid and sensitive dude who doesn't like to make people feel bad, and I feel like a failure and gently caress :(

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
your shoulders are bigger than your biceps ergo they will tire slower therefore you will be able to get your nasty chin past the bar more before your pathetic muscles give out

you can also incorporate pushups to your routine to help. do a set of pullups then a set of pushups and repeat

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

your shoulders are bigger than your biceps ergo they will tire slower therefore you will be able to get your nasty chin past the bar more before your pathetic muscles give out

you can also incorporate pushups to your routine to help. do a set of pullups then a set of pushups and repeat

Look, I'm trying to not get bulky, chicks dude wire framed dudes with long flowy hair. I love my frame and my T-shirts.. If my shoulders get bigger I'm gonna have buy ALL NEW loving clothes and that poo poo is expensive. I'm already 4 lbs heavier and it's ruining me :(

I suppose I can do some combined pullup, pushup sessions though.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 31, 2016

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Look, I'm trying to not get bulky, chicks dude wire framed dudes with long flowy hair. I love my frame and my T-shirts.. If my shoulders get bigger I'm gonna have buy ALL NEW loving clothes and that poo poo is expensive. I'm already 4 lbs heavier and it's ruining me :(

I suppose I can do some combined pullup, pushup sessions though.

you wanna get to 20 for chester pulley or what?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anything for the lord and savior

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Did a one-lift max for bench deadlift and squats on Friday for my unit's morning PT session.

Wasn't expecting to get 175 for my bench, but I was also disappointed I couldn't even get 315 to budge on the deadlift, that used to be something I could get a few reps of at least.

At least I know my starting point for 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

MurderBot posted:

My pull-ups have come to a complete halt for the past two weeks. I've worked from 10 to 17 using the Armstrong Pullup method, but I am now completely at a point where after the 17th my upper body is dead and unable to go further.

My "money shot" is with underhand pull-ups or chin ups, but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to switch to the conventional pull-up method. I'm training both, and can knock out about 16 regulars.

I also haven't really incorporated anything aside from added weight to my workout routine. I suppose some bicep curls and lat pulldowns could get me past 17 but I can't find much beside "do a lot of volume with rest days" and "add weight"

armstrong is good for a kick start but doing pullups every day is a waste of loving effort once you hit the wall.

Do low rep (3-5) weighted chins with good negative reps one day, a couple high rep sets another (still controlled and not max out or die trying style), and a all out max set where you can go crazy on another day. 3 days with different types should get you those last few pretty quickly.

This is pretty much what I do, and I can still get 18-20 after doing a max set of pushups.