Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just realized that with Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple you can have 2 Matter Reshapers T2 in modern...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
what's sperling sick of this month

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/sperlings-sick-of-it-january-2016/

oh, it's "having to talk to your opponent briefly before you play Magic against them" and Owen's sick of it too

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
To be fair, "Rakdos Country Club" is a great name for mono-red.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Boco_T posted:

oh, it's "having to talk to your opponent briefly before you play Magic against them" and Owen's sick of it too

Naya Angelou is good. I only read that part and the part about him whining about 6-3s. :3:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Boco_T posted:

I can't believe someone would want to say a single sentence to me before a match. How insulting.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

I'm on my phone but pretend I posted a picture of Andy Rooney here.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ShaneB posted:

I can't believe someone would want to say a single sentence to me before a match. How insulting.

We only have fifty minutes to complete the match and you are wasting precious seconds

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

quote:

Temur Good Stuff (Forgot to register anything on the deck list, game loss)

HEY! :mad:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Boco_T posted:

The Scourge of Our Times

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Don't you hate it when people around you insist on trying to interact with you casually?

Sperling must be the kind of guy who just starts shouting his order when the Burger King cashier ask him "Would you like to try our...."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What if the article was satire?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

More like Matt Spergling!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

What if the article was satire?

Goons overreacting and taking things too literally? Impossible.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I dunno, I think you can hate hearing the same stale quips over and over again and still enjoy other aspects of human interaction :shrug:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Goons overreacting and taking things too literally? Impossible.

The first complaint is something I can see pros who play a ton of games actually whining about, so even if it's satire it's far too believable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

I dunno, I think you can hate hearing the same stale quips over and over again and still enjoy other aspects of human interaction :shrug:

Um what loving planet do you live on????????????????

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Cashier: *Runs pack of magic cards under the scanner twice, and it doesn't beep*

Customer: "Well, I guess it's free!" *chuckles to self*

Cashier: *dies a little inside*

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
satire implies skill in execution and comedic value

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

black potus posted:

The real comedy is that something like that got published in the first place

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Boco_T posted:

To be fair, I don't really want to talk to either of them.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

black potus posted:

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's to never assume a Magic player is joking.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gensuki posted:

Cashier: *Runs pack of magic cards under the scanner twice, and it doesn't beep*

Customer: "Well, I guess it's free!" *chuckles to self*

Cashier: *dies a little inside*

This joke was funny the first time, the subsequent 30 times that same day killed me inside.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
is the joke that people hate playing magic so much it feels like a dead end retail job

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Count Bleck posted:

This joke was funny the first time, the subsequent 30 times that same day killed me inside.

In college, my girlfriend and I both worked at Wal-Mart and she hated this joke so much, before the customer could even get the entire sentence out, she would say "no it isn't", every single time, without the barest hint of levity. She was awesome.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
"Oh yeah? Well, the jerk store called, they're running outta you!"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Pokemon also does this, but their small frame art is actually very descriptive of what's going on, while their full card art is really vibrant and poo poo.

Yo I missed this but c'mon look at lysander's glorious face:

Korrina's evo bracelet lens flare definitely doesn't get in the way of her text:

Also without comment:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Luckily, I only spent one year in retail, I worked at a local grocery store chain, but in that year, that joke never really bothered me. What bothered me was the time we got robbed by a guy with a kitana or the time a homeless guy took a poo poo in the produce aisle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Luckily, I only spent one year in retail, I worked at a local grocery store chain, but in that year, that joke never really bothered me. What bothered me was the time we got robbed by a guy with a kitana or the time a homeless guy took a poo poo in the produce aisle.

I won't miss these.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Madmarker posted:

The Wal-Mart I worked at made national news for having a meth lab set up in the bathroom.

Oooooo-klahoma!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Madmarker posted:

can't you also get these at game store venues though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also sperling's article seems fine, really digged the part about a legendary llanowar elves.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
playing fow made me appreciate magic's opaque text boxes with large legible text

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

Also sperling's article seems fine, really digged the part about a legendary llanowar elves.

Yeah I wholeheartedly agree with his 'creative deck names' point, just using the wedge names is so boring. For instance, if you're making a RWB deck and don't make a newspaper pun, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.

Because it's black and white and read all over, you see

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What's a newspaper?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah I wholeheartedly agree with his 'creative deck names' point, just using the wedge names is so boring. For instance, if you're making a RWB deck and don't make a newspaper pun, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.

Because it's black and white and read all over, you see

Sunburned Zebra or gtfo. :colbert:

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

whydirt posted:

What's a newspaper?

New kind of s paper

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

I would have rather watched and be required to clean up after someone committing seppuku in the produce section than hear another son of a bitch say "didn't scan, must be free" or "just printed that $50 this morning"

Also anyone who makes either joke should be required to commit seppuku.

Edit: while having to make idle chitchat with Owen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zoness posted:

Yo I missed this but c'mon look at lysander's glorious face:

Korrina's evo bracelet lens flare definitely doesn't get in the way of her text:

Also without comment:

How the gently caress do people read these? :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Official OGW card nickname list (1st draft):

Hedron Crawler - Literal Hedron Crab
Endbringer - Galactus
Baloth Null - Nulldrifter
Baloth Pup - Dinosaur Jr.