Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

eljackass posted:

HAH thanks! Why didn't I think of that? :xd: Like checking when they're ok, or counting, he just says time to end it

Makes total sense. Thanks!
Yeah it's been streamlined quite a bit over the years. In old local shows, the ringside timekeeper had a more literal role, where he would stand up to let the wrestlers know it was time to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When was the last time AJ Styles used the Spiral Tap? Did he ever use it in NJPW? I feel like he used it a lot more frequently when he was younger but I don't remember (or wasn't watching) him use it much after 2010

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

eljackass posted:

Question: Doesn't a wrestling match have some sort of signal to the wrestlers to let them know when to "wrap it up", esp. for TV matches? Some sort of blinking light, or the producer, or an official who's not in the ring giving the "cut it short" signal?

RAW is already gonna run over tonight, so we're gonna have a couple more short matches, and I remember hearing somewhere (no idea where) that someone lets the rasslers know when it's time to end the match. But it also shouldn't be so obvious that the live crowd can see it, right?

You can see the ref telling people "take it home" or something similar in a number of botchamania. Drake in NXT is particularly bad about calling loud ref spots, especially after Emma forgot to kickout.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Becky; it was Emma covering

lol memory works good

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 26, 2016

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lokipunk posted:

You can see the ref telling people "take it home" or something similar in a number of botchamania. Drake in NXT is particularly bad about calling loud ref spots, especially after Emma forgot to kickout.

Becky; it was Emma covering

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

projecthalaxy posted:

On the subject of Rumble surprises, when was the first time they did the "guy not in the rumble pummels entrant and assumes his spot" thing?

Mabel in 1999. He made his return on Heat to attack Mankind. Then during the Rumble match he roughed up one of the Headbangers, took his spot, mostly cleared the ring and got kidnapped by the Undertaker.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 26, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lokipunk posted:

lol memory works good

You could hear him really well during Takeover London during the Asuka/Emma match.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

You could hear him really well during Takeover London during the Asuka/Emma match.

Didn't the mic pick him up literally saying "please kick out" to someone?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Is there a singular moment that is peak HHH up his own rear end?

I seem to remember there was a Mania (?) entrance where he sat on a throne while we waited for his entrance music's entrance music to finish.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Go RV! posted:

I seem to remember there was a Mania (?) entrance where he sat on a throne while we waited for his entrance music's entrance music to finish.

last year's Terminator entrance

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Go RV! posted:

The moment that stands out to me is when Chris Jericho beat him for the title and he used his stroke to convince the referee to overturn his decision and give him back the belt. Maybe not peak HHH up his own rear end but definitely a dumb angle that made people hate him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm still gonna go with beating Booker more-or-less clean, after a feud where he played the racist heel a la Race vs. Simmons, in a match where he took everything Booker could dish out.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The Terminator entrance was the best thing ever because it was a clear defining moment for HHH passing from 'possibly cool' to 'Chris Jericho'

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bard Maddox posted:

last year's Terminator entrance

To be fair, If you had the chance to be Conan Terminator with an introduction by a guy who was the original Conan/Terminator, well who'd turn that down???

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still gonna go with beating Booker more-or-less clean, after a feud where he played the racist heel a la Race vs. Simmons, in a match where he took everything Booker could dish out.

I gotta ask about this since I checked out of wrestling by then, but was this actually HHH using his stroke or did Vince just decide they weren't going to push Booker T after all?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

1st AD posted:

I gotta ask about this since I checked out of wrestling by then, but was this actually HHH using his stroke or did Vince just decide they weren't going to push Booker T after all?

stroke

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

St Evan Echoes posted:

Didn't the mic pick him up literally saying "please kick out" to someone?

Yeah, he said it to Asuka because on the previous pin she visibly hadn't kicked out when he pulled his arm back to stop the three.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I mean that sucks, but was Booker T really a real main event level player? In the mid 90's I remember him being an incredible in-ring performer, but even as top babyface in 2001 or whatever he was never even a quarter as over as Flair or Sting or Goldberg. Great worker in Harlem Heat, decent worker as a singles guy, but not a good promo ever.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

1st AD posted:

I mean that sucks, but was Booker T really a real main event level player? In the mid 90's I remember him being an incredible in-ring performer, but even as top babyface in 2001 or whatever he was never even a quarter as over as Flair or Sting or Goldberg. Great worker in Harlem Heat, decent worker as a singles guy, but not a good promo ever.

But he wanted the gold, sucka!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

1st AD posted:

It doesn't excuse the fact that throughout the feud HHH basically told him black people shouldn't be champions and then won

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Smoking Crow posted:

It doesn't excuse the fact that throughout the feud HHH basically told him black people shouldn't be champions and then won

No, but you see, Triple H clearly meant ex-WCW guys, like Booker T and, uh, himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAJqeTpDis

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the issue was Goldberg was signed at some point during that and naturally Booker T vs. Goldberg was not considered the money match there. It wouldn't surprise me to learn they had signed Goldberg months before that though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't think that really would've been the money match.

The WWE really should've signed Goldberg much earlier and did Goldberg vs. Stone Cold, that would've been a money match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

1st AD posted:

At that time he was popular coming off his Odd Couple tag team with Goldust, and he got his WHC title shot by winning a battle royal. So yeah, he was pretty over and they were booking him strong until he came up against HHH; then he repeatedly lost screwjobs on Raw before losing the title match at Wrestlemania.

And like Crow said, there's just no excuse for doing a racist angle and blowing it off that way. If you're going to build a face for the heel champion to beat and send slinking back to the midcard, for gently caress's sake don't do a racist angle.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 26, 2016

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
also the actual pin in the match was the slowest loving thing ever, maybe this is just my memory being wrong but if I recall HHH hit the pedigree and then took like 10 seconds to actually attempt the pin, it was real real bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ParanoidInc posted:

also the actual pin in the match was the slowest loving thing ever, maybe this is just my memory being wrong but if I recall HHH hit the pedigree and then took like 10 seconds to actually attempt the pin, it was real real bad
Booker hit the Hangover, made a weak pin after a long delay, and HHH kicked out. HHH did a weak Pedigree, also made a weak pin after a very long delay, and won. It was a lousy finish even out of context.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

1st AD posted:

I don't think that really would've been the money match.

The WWE really should've signed Goldberg much earlier and did Goldberg vs. Stone Cold, that would've been a money match.

Ideally Goldberg would have come in during 2001, but at the time WCW guys were getting buried left and right by bitter and cagey WWF main eventers, some deservedly, most not so much. There's only so many top spots and you're not going to share them with new guys unless you have to. Goldberg came in right when WWE needed a new guy. Contrast with DDP, who basically had a target on his back from day one.

I'll be honest, I hate WWE-era Booker T and I'm not sad he jobbed even though racism is bad. Booker T was maybe the only thing more stale than the Dudley Boys, but also had lots of bad catchphrases to go with.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Something to remember: Booker T was wrestling injured and did so for a few more weeks before finally getting the surgery everyone knew he needed for a while. The problem is they knew Booker was supposed to lose that match and STILL went through with the racist angle that typically ends with the minority babyface winning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I remember during a Triple H comeback event on PPV (something almost nobody else would get, even Cena) they booked him to go over... Booker T.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
It was a SummerSlam PPV over who was the true king. He was King Booker at the time. I believe it was the straw that broke the camel's back and sent him to TNA.

Also, Cena has gotten comeback events plenty are you nuts?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

It was a SummerSlam PPV over who was the true king. He was King Booker at the time. I believe it was the straw that broke the camel's back and sent him to TNA.

Also, Cena has gotten comeback events plenty are you nuts?

John Cena returns aren't really "OK I'm here, who's there to bury?"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

It doesn't matter that Goldberg was coming in. Booker T could still win at Wreatlemania and not have the racist be proven right, and then have Triple H get the belt back within the next month or two. It wouldn't even hurt the draw over the next month as the main event program for Raw was Rock/Goldberg. Triple H didn't even defend it that month.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_(2008)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah, that's just Cena's entire career

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Atticus Finch posted:

Something to remember: Booker T was wrestling injured and did so for a few more weeks before finally getting the surgery everyone knew he needed for a while. The problem is they knew Booker was supposed to lose that match and STILL went through with the racist angle that typically ends with the minority babyface winning.
I didn't know that. It does explain why they immediately put him in a team vs. team feud where he wasn't really that important, before he returned to the midcard.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Minidust posted:

Yeah it's been streamlined quite a bit over the years. In old local shows, the ringside timekeeper had a more literal role, where he would stand up to let the wrestlers know it was time to go home.

Cornette told a story on his podcast where he was working some spot show and there was a match that was supposed to go 30 minutes. The signal for "go home" was the timekeeper chewing on his pencil. They lose track of time and both forget the signal. 40 minutes into the match they go "oh poo poo" and look over at the timekeeper who was gnawing on his pencil as angrily as possible. Roll him up, 1, 2, 3, get the gently caress out.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The often forgotten part of the Booker T saga is not what happened but what nearly happened.

In the build up to Mania a match was scheduled for a Raw between Booker T and Rock. The match never happened because Rock veto'ed it. The reason for this is that the booking was pushed for by HHH who at this point hadn't be set in stone as the winner at mania. Rock who already had his opponent at mania in Austin, and who was working hard to put Hurricane over in the build to it, was savvy enough to know what was going on, that putting over Booker was pointless because he would lose to HHH who could then claim that he beat the man who beat the rock in yet another chapter of their eternal dick measuring contest. Rock went back to happily jobbing to Hurricane.

Shortly after mania HHH squashed Hurricane.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Rock is pretty cool imo, did he ever bury anyone or refuse to work with someone to bolster his own ego? I remember him jobbing to like everybody and it not hurting him as a draw because he was so loving charismatic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

1st AD posted:

The Rock is pretty cool imo, did he ever bury anyone or refuse to work with someone to bolster his own ego? I remember him jobbing to like everybody and it not hurting him as a draw because he was so loving charismatic.

He buried the Miz pretty hard, but so did Cena at that ppv

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Not to booster his own ego but he refused to ever work with Shawn Michaels because Shawn was a dick to his mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

So, this isn't so much a question, but AJ Styles's music from his "mysterious selfish heel" run in TNA was used in a video game recently: it's called Rebel Galaxy

So it seems like it's some publicly licence-able production music that WWE could've easily acquired and used. They went with a DMX cover/remix though.

I'm probably the only dumb nerd on the planet who would've marked for that song though

El Generico fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 26, 2016