Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's going to announce his once trilogy is now at least 4 books sometime in the next two years and then 3 years after that when Doors of Stone (which is now called A Moonless Night) is still not out; when all we have is cross fanfiction melding King Killer with Orange is the New Black, hundreds of mspaint pictures of Kvothe falling off of hover boards, a million in-jokes, and an amazing Coat of Arms made to show Rothfuss' acumen for not writing; then my friends, we can at least look back at this moment and know that jivjov was the bellwether that made it all happen. The birth of a new, bad thread.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or alternatively, split the last book into two parts because that's what the cool movies are doing these days with their last hurrah. Hunger Games, Harry Potter, The Hobbit being an even further exception.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
A silence in three parts, followed by a dropped mic.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Turns out that without JivJov to yell at, we have nothing to talk about.

God, what have we become?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Benson Cunningham posted:

You want to argue about whether Kvothe is a Mary Sue or merely a hyper-competent Zelazny-style protagonist again?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

God, what have we become?

I'm still around; I just got tired of banging my head against a wall of "hurr durr Rothfuss owes me the third book right nowwwwwwwww"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is difficult to grasp the difference between an author who writes one-off works and one who writes a series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm still around; I just got tired of banging my head against a wall of "hurr durr Rothfuss owes me the third book right nowwwwwwwww"

Rothfuss doesn't owe anyone poo poo, but some honesty from him regarding the book's progress rather then childish tantrums go a long way to shutting people up. He can easily say "I've been working on X number of other projects, Doors is taking me a long time because I'm trying to get it right and it's not happening" so he's clearly busy as poo poo and Doors isn't his central priority and that's fine. It kind of sucks as a fan of the series that the finale takes a back burner to his passion projects but it's Rothfuss' life and he can do whatever he wants. I don't know the specifics of his publishing contract for the Kingkiller books, but I'm pretty sure he gets as much freedom as he wants to take his time after the success of NoTW.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ulmont posted:

You want to argue about whether Kvothe is a Mary Sue or merely a hyper-competent Zelazny-style protagonist again?

How dare you imply by association anything Rothfuss does could even approach Zelazny's work. How loving dare you.

Seriously though, Chronicles of Amber owns so hard. I'm speaking about the first five books, of course.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

How dare you imply by association anything Rothfuss does could even approach Zelazny's work. How loving dare you.

The more I think about it, the more I wish Kvothe was a bit more cynical. I need dialogue about the input of his worst, if wiser, self.

Seriously though, Chronicles of Amber owns so hard. I'm speaking about the first five books, of course.

There is also some neat stuff in the second chronicles, but I agree in general.

Kvothe also isn't, now that I think about it, nearly as goal-focused as Corwin. Eyes firmly on the prize, that guy.

or firmly on the white-hot irons, whatever

As a public service announcement: The Chronicles of Amber are finally being made available on Kindle. First 3 are up now.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=zelazny

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ulmont posted:

There is also some neat stuff in the second chronicles, but I agree in general.

Early I said this should be a Gene Wolfe thread I think, but now I want it to be a Roger Zelazny thread. Go read Chronicles of Amber everyone. It's too good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Early I said this should be a Gene Wolfe thread I think, but now I want it to be a Roger Zelazny thread. Go read Chronicles of Amber everyone. It's too good.

Also read Lord of Light. You'll thank me when you reach That Pun.

E: For bonus points, Lord of Light is the movie people are supposedly filming in Argo (and the real world events that inspired it).

ulmont fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 23, 2016

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Lord of Light was really good. So was Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

mornhaven posted:

Lord of Light was really good. So was Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Creatures of Light and Darkness is the only thing Zelazny wrote that I haven't read. I'm saving it. Once I read it, there's nothing else :smith:.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Name of the Bad Thread

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Creatures of Light and Darkness is the only thing Zelazny wrote that I haven't read. I'm saving it. Once I read it, there's nothing else :smith:.

I'm in the same boat regarding Raising Steam. I refuse to count the Long Earth books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I'm in the same boat regarding Raising Steam. I refuse to count the Long Earth books.
The main difference there is that Creatures is actually pretty drat good.
My favorite Zelazny is A Night In Lonesome October, by the way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Have you read his western? Have you read the Mana From Heaven short story collection?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

I'm reminded of the greatest Usenet flamewar of my youth, which began with this:

quote:

Subject: Re: Roger Zelazny
Date: 16 Jun 1995
Message-ID: <3rstn8$8...@news.duke.edu>

bd...@midway.uchicago.edu wrote:
>Now, Zelazny has passed over to this side of the
>boundary. The stories are over, there is no more. All good
>things must come to an end, but drat it, I wasn't ready.

When I heard the news, I looked at my brother and said "Good."

Zelazny had produced nothing but tripe for the last few years --
excepting, of course, _A Night In The Lonesome October_, and his death at
this point prevents him from further sullying the body of work he
accumulated earlier in life.

Now, if Arthur C. Clarke would only snuff it -- it'd prevent him from
churning out any more bilge like _The Ghost from the Grand Banks_ or any
of that stuff he "co-authored" with Gentry Lee. (I personally suspect
that Clarke had no involvement with the Lee books whatsoever and that he
simply let them put his name on the books for a fee.)

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

I'm the same way with The Shepherd's Crown, I'm not ready to be done with Pratchett.

Is Jack of Shadows any good? It's the only other one of his I have on hand that I haven't gotten around to reading.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mornhaven posted:

I'm the same way with The Shepherd's Crown, I'm not ready to be done with Pratchett.

Is Jack of Shadows any good? It's the only other one of his I have on hand that I haven't gotten around to reading.

It's good but not great. Like a lot of his early 70s novellas. Maybe Roadmarks quality?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's always the six-volume collection of his short stories, if you haven't read that. I'm pretty sure some of those never appeared anywhere else.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I'm not sure I read his western, what's the title? All the others mentioned i have read. I own all his short story collections and have even read the post chronicles shorts that continue the Amber story.

When I travel for work or with my wife, I'll usually stop in used book stores and try to find old first editions of his and gene wolfe's stuff. Those places are usually stripped bare by collectors though who just want to resell poo poo on eBay.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm not sure I read his western, what's the title? All the others mentioned i have read. I own all his short story collections and have even read the post chronicles shorts that continue the Amber story.

When I travel for work or with my wife, I'll usually stop in used book stores and try to find old first editions of his and gene wolfe's stuff. Those places are usually stripped bare by collectors though who just want to resell poo poo on eBay.

The Dead Man's Brother (2009) (mystery/thriller novel completed in 1971, finally published in 2009)

I do the same.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's funny. Spend forever trying to find people who like the things you like, and their recommendations are all junk.

Find the people that hate the same things you hate? They've got good taste.

(That being said, I found Creatures way more interesting than Lord of Light. Maybe it was because I read them back to back and in that order. But Lord felt ponderous and hamfisted in comparison. Granted, Creatures was deliberately eccentric. Still need to find a copy of Lonesome October.)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Hughlander posted:

The Dead Man's Brother (2009) (mystery/thriller novel completed in 1971, finally published in 2009)

I do the same.

Looks like I have two books to read! What good news.

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's funny. Spend forever trying to find people who like the things you like, and their recommendations are all junk.

Don't read Theft of Swords if your opinion aligns with mine. God, what garbage.

I also picked up The Vorrh on a recommendation, and have found it to be very difficult to invest myself in.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2016

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

(That being said, I found Creatures way more interesting than Lord of Light. Maybe it was because I read them back to back and in that order. But Lord felt ponderous and hamfisted in comparison. Granted, Creatures was deliberately eccentric. Still need to find a copy of Lonesome October.)

I read Lord of Light first and found the writing to be more fluid. But Creatures was definitely more interesting, though I remember it being pretty disjointed and choppy. Its been a long time since I read either though so I'm probably misremembering.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I was very glad when I found that other people disliked Name of the Wind as much as I did. What I always found especially baffling was how much people complimented the prose. I personally found it needlessly ornate, and nonsensical. Prose shouldn't just make no sense at all if you prod it a little bit. What's more, it often jarringly shifts from workman like to embarrassingly purple.

I mean, this is unfair but compare:

F. Scott Fitzgerald posted:

In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars.

To

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, holding the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great riversmooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never understood the "cut-flower sound" thing. It sounds like he just picked something random and applied it to something it has no business expounding on. Like if I were to say, "He had the swiftly sewn hunger of generations in his starless night eyes." Sounds super profound, but try to explain what the gently caress I just said.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Rothfuss is going to the first man convicted of mass metaphor murder.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Rothfuss is going to the first man convicted of mass metaphor murder.

I stopped playing Pillars of Eternity almost immediately due to lazy writing. The very first paragraph of dialog is:

Five wagons grope blindly for the path on a starless night, their master glancing ever upwards for assurance he is on the right course, a dim lantern his only protection against the encroaching darkness.

Where do I even begin?

Wagons can't grope blindly. They have a fixed axle. Any movement you can imagine for 'groping blindly' would look nothing like what the wagons were doing, which is likely just moving slowly. Even if the front wagon was somehow 'groping blindy,' man I hope the rest of the wagons are just calmly following him in a line. And this guy is looking upwards for assurance he is on the right course? The first part of this overwrought sentence points out its a starless night. The gently caress is he looking at?

Lazy writing is the worst.

In other news, I think I am going to do a Let's Read of Name of the Wind. First post to follow later this week. Time to get to the bottom of this poo poo.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

I never understood the "cut-flower sound" thing. It sounds like he just picked something random and applied it to something it has no business expounding on. Like if I were to say, "He had the swiftly sewn hunger of generations in his starless night eyes." Sounds super profound, but try to explain what the gently caress I just said.

We should play a game where people have to guess if a metaphor is from Slow Regard or a Deepak Chopra generator.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

In other news, I think I am going to do a Let's Read of Name of the Wind. First post to follow later this week. Time to get to the bottom of this poo poo.
I find I can forgive a lot more in a game where the writing isn't literally all there is to the medium. Plus horrible narrated interludes were a staple of the Infinity engine games PoE is a tribute to.

Anyway, good luck. That's the rest of your life taken care of, I suppose.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't really understand the appeal of that kind of thing. As I've said before I don't think Rothfuss is a particularly good writer but I did find his books enjoyable (well the first one anyway) and he's a decently entertaining fantasy writer. If you hate his writing, that's certainly understandable, but if so I can't understand why you'd want to spend so much time going through it line by line talking about how bad this or that piece of writing is. Wouldn't you rather spend the time reading an author you actually enjoy?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of that kind of thing. As I've said before I don't think Rothfuss is a particularly good writer but I did find his books enjoyable (well the first one anyway) and he's a decently entertaining fantasy writer. If you hate his writing, that's certainly understandable, but if so I can't understand why you'd want to spend so much time going through it line by line talking about how bad this or that piece of writing is. Wouldn't you rather spend the time reading an author you actually enjoy?

I can almost taste the cut flower irony in you making a post on the Internet criticizing people for....making posts on the Internet criticizing people.

It tastes like a lack of self awareness, in three parts.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ulmont posted:

I can almost taste the cut flower irony in you making a post on the Internet criticizing people for....making posts on the Internet criticizing people.

It tastes like a lack of self awareness, in three parts.

I'm not criticizing anyone I'm saying I don't personally understand the appeal of that sort of thing. I don't think people who do it are Bad People or anything like that. When I asked "wouldn't you rather spend time with an author you actually enjoy?" that wasn't a rhetorical question, I am honestly wondering why people spend time "hate reading" stuff because I've never gotten it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Reading critically is important. I don't hate the first book. The second one is garbage.

The things that annoy me are: the public persona of the author, the second book, and the false promises made in relation to the series.

I expect to say a number of positive things about the first book, though it also contains some obvious flaws.

If you don't like it just ignore the thread when I make it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The Kicksarter for that game that Rothfuss was going to do "World Building" for has been cancelled.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song/posts/1474916

quote:

Hello Everyone,

After looking at our funding levels and the reality that we aren't going to reach our funding goals, we've decided that the best thing to do is to end the Kickstarter. We sincerely appreciate all of the support we got from the backers and the Kickstarter community. This was our first Kickstarter and we made mistakes along the way. I want to acknowledge that right up front. We put a lot of time and effort into the Kickstarter, but it's obvious missing things like physical goods hampered our efforts. It's also fair to say because we're early that we didn't have enough gameplay to show the game off enough to get people over the hump.

So where do we go from here? Well the good news is that our Investors are backing us all the way and we're going to get Hero's Song done exactly when we said we would. I'm also happy to say that we've been able to do this without having to take money from publishers, something that was of key importance to us so that we could remain in creative control.

We'll be updating you all along the way.. holding development streams (on Cohhcarnage's stream on Twitch) and being completely transparent with our development process. You'll be hearing from us all the time and we'll be updating our website and all of you on a constant basis as we have cool stuff to show.

Thanks again for all the support you've shown, and thanks for the constructive criticism as well. We took that to heart and we've learned a lot from it.

Kickstarter remains an incredible source of both goodwill and community support, and we'll never forget the kindness our backers showed us.

Thanks and we'll see you soon!

Smed and the Pixelmage Games Team.

It's still getting released, I guess, but it looks like they realized that they put together a bad campaign for a game that's not finished enough to even begin to show off.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Earwicker posted:

Personally I like taking Rothfuss and other writers apart at their prose because it's a teaching experience. You learn a lot more from bad writing then you do from good writing. Enjoyment has little to do with it; learning your craft is everything when you want to improve. Rothfuss gives lots of object lessons in what NOT to do to writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HIJK posted:

You learn a lot more from bad writing then you do from good writing.

I couldn't disagree more. If you spend all your time reading crap genre fiction - even if you are conscious that it's bad - then that's what is going to be influencing you the most. I can't think of any actual good writers who indicated in any way that they got where they are by spending a bunch of time studying some garbage fantasy series. People learn good writing from good writers, not by taking apart reams of bad writing and doing the opposite.

In general: Rothfuss is just one of many genre authors at a similar level of quality and their books are fine for light entertainment but I don't really see the point in spending a whole lot of time digging into them beyond that. If someone wants to add yet another "deep dive" into yet another mediocre fantasy series to a forum that already contains 90% that exact same thing, it is of course your God Given Right to do so, but I fail to understand the point... or how it would even be any different from this thread, for that matter.

• Locked thread